• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
His bail proposal from this morning:

Jeffrey Epstein, the financier facing sex-trafficking charges in New York, has been described by prosecutors as a man of enormous wealth: He owns a $77 million mansion on the Upper East Side, a $12 million estate in Palm Beach, Fla., a private island in the Caribbean and a private jet.
And on Thursday, Mr. Epstein, 66, asked a federal judge to allow him to use some of his wealth to stay out of jail while he awaits trial, filing a detailed bail proposal with the court.
Mr. Epstein asked the judge to release him on a substantial bond and pledged to put up his palatial Manhattan mansion and his private jet as collateral. He also proposed he be allowed to remain under house arrest in the mansion, and said he would agree to electronic monitoring of his location. He said he would surrender his passport and ground his jet.
In addition, his lawyers proposed that Mr. Epstein would hire private round-the-clock security guards who would "virtually guarantee" that he would not flee and would show up for court. They argued that he had lived a law-abiding life for the past 14 years.
---------------------------
In the bail memorandum, Mr. Epstein's lawyers made it clear their client would fight the charges and gave a preview of what his defense might be. They argued that even though the government may have witnesses — some younger than 18 at the time — who said Mr. Epstein had paid them for sexual massages, prosecutors could not prove he had committed the federal crime of sex trafficking. They contended that Mr. Epstein should have been prosecuted in New York State court.
"There are no allegations in the indictment that Mr. Epstein trafficked anybody for commercial profit; that he forced, coerced, defrauded, or enslaved anybody," the lawyers, Reid Weingarten, Marc Fernich and Martin G. Weinberg, wrote. "No one seeks to minimize the gravity of the alleged conduct, but it is clear that the conduct falls within the heartland of classic state or local sex offenses."

Reminder:

julie k. brown @jkbjournalist

ICYMI: should someone like this get bail? Epstein intimidation tactics detailed here | Miami Herald https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article214210674.html …

8:32 PM - Jul 11, 2019

Mimi Rocah @Mimirocah1

Noteworthy from the SDNY bail memo on Epstein: Florida prosecutors not only knew Epstein was a sexual predator but also that he harassed & intimidated the victims & their families to stop them from testifying. No federal prosecutor should let conduct like that go. Acosta did.

10:57 AM - Jul 9, 2019

mgvV0ye.png

I wonder what the Trump / Moore / Kavanaugh rape defense force and dudes who shit on the #metoo movement think about these girls/women who are coming forward now.

NO QUARTER

castrate Jeff and throw him under the jail.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Is there some global super rich pedo sex ring. I'm going to guess it's blackmail and favour central too. The elite scumbags. I imagine spy agencies are in on this shit too for those obvious reasons. WHat a shit world.
This is the least surprising aspect of this whole affair, unfortunately.
Will be really interesting to see how this plays out. If he's really as connected as we all think.. do the powers that be silence him? Sacrifice him to keep their secrets? Hope he doesn't talk? Too many eyes on this now I think to just sweep it under the rug. Maybe he gets "50 years" but quietly does 3 or 4 before getting off on some technicality when everyone else is busy fussing over the next big story?
Presumably he'll get an extreme light sentance considering his crimes, as a reward for not squealing on anyone. That's what happened last time, no reason to assume different now.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
NO QUARTER

castrate Jeff and throw him under the jail.
YES! I know some people are like, "But jail should be about rehabilitation!". I don't disagree with some people. Rehabilitate those who are at the mercy of an unjust, racist system (those that can change for the good, SHOULD be allowed that chance). But for PREDATORS like Epstein, who USE THE SYSTEM to get their way, nah, lock the FUCKER up FOREVER! Never let him see the light of day, and then come for all his conspiring cohorts! The world WOULD be a better place WITHOUT.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember listening to Dershowitz giving an academic speech on Passionate Advocacy - and he was convincing. But he continued to CHOOSE to represent clients he knew to be guilty of heinous crimes - and free them to commit more. At some point I think he crosses the line into ethical complicity.

At least in this case that may no longer be a philosophical or rhetorical nuance.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I remember listening to Dershowitz giving an academic speech on Passionate Advocacy - and he was convincing. But he continued to CHOOSE to represent clients he knew to be guilty of heinous crimes - and free them to commit more. At some point I think he crosses the line into ethical complicity.

At least in this case that may no longer be a philosophical or rhetorical nuance.
How I feel about the ACLU

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf. Is there some global super rich pedo sex ring. I'm going to guess it's blackmail and favour central too. The elite scumbags. I imagine spy agencies are in on this shit too for those obvious reasons. WHat a shit world.
There always has been and there always will be. Wealthy people can do whatever they want whether or not they are stable individuals or monsters.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Acosta seems to think the public should just move on from his sweetheart deal with Epstein because the case "is over 12 years old"

Surprise surprise, a pedo apologist thinks it's fine as long as it's "over 12 years old".

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Representing people like Epstein makes you complicit.

In fact, I'd be fine with any lawyer arguing for Epstein's case going to prison for helping him. (shrug)

(edit** See my post further down. Obviously it's not a precedent that could be set ;) )

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How I feel about the ACLU

Yeah. They have basically infinite cases to choose from but massively over represent scumbags in what looks like principles over people. They frequently empower bad actors to then screw with the civil liberties of their victims. Possibly a strategy to appear balanced but like if that's necessary then ease off the gas on helping bigots keep bigoting.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They have basically infinite cases to choose from but massively over represent scumbags in what looks like principles over people. They frequently empower bad actors to then screw with the civil liberties of their victims. Possibly a strategy to appear balanced but like if that's necessary then ease off the gas on helping bigots keep bigoting.
Yeah if you don't question what you are doing once in a while, you are gaslighting yourself into a zealotry

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like Comey all over again. "Well if I fire him, all the questions stop, right?"

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Acosta seems to think the public should just move on from his sweetheart deal with Epstein because the case "is over 12 years old"

Surprise surprise, a pedo apologist thinks it's fine as long as it's "over 12 years old".

Nice. I was gonna go with "Now that the case is older than 12, we have no interest."

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm hearing that Epstein set up a lodge at the Interlochen Center for the Arts. The tentacles are spread disturbingly far & wide on this one.

This may be the most important RICO case of all-time. World-changing, if even 10% of those high-level people involved are brought to the justice that they deserve for these crimes.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
You know, I was just thinking about the fact that Seagal has all these connections to Trump, Russia, sex trafficking, and rape cases against him.

I don't care for this style of writing but...here's another link...

...random thought, couldn't find anything Epstein related, but I haven't searched hard.

This is a terrible idea and wildly unconstitutional. Every defendant has the right to adequate representation. It's the State's job to prove their case and prosecute.

Please read beyond that post. It wasn't a "real idea", and was only directed at Epstein and how gross he is.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Representing people like Epstein makes you complicit.

In fact, I'd be fine with any lawyer arguing for Epstein's case going to prison for helping him. (shrug)
This is a terrible idea and wildly unconstitutional. Every defendant has the right to adequate representation. It's the State's job to prove their case and prosecute.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"This guy is obviously guilty and shouldn't be able to have lawyers" is like the hottest take imaginable. Would be used against the poor and minorities incessantly.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I don't think it's really Dershowitz's fault that the prosecution can't tie their case correctly :/
And really the whole point of a lawyer is to defend his client, providing bad lawyers to criminal cases doesn't seem ethical if the point is to get justice.

Oct 27, 2017
There always has been and there always will be. Wealthy people can do whatever they want whether or not they are stable individuals or monsters.
The wealthy are not loyal to any state nor obligated to abide by any law so long as they have access to their wealth. It's a good reason to prevent the existence of billionaires. I'd go even further to say they're a legitimate threat to any nation.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's really Dershowitz's fault that the prosecution can't tie their case correctly :/
And really the whole point of a lawyer is to defend his client, providing bad lawyers to criminal cases doesn't seem ethical if the point is to get justice.
Let's be real, lawyer ethics are another bullshit aspect of a disgustingly broken justice system. They're all the same social club and they look the other way when it benefits them. Then when they're defending someone with the means to pay their way to freedom, they suddenly become ethical justice warriors and trout out that line when it's found out later to be their client was guilty as fuck (they knew the whole time).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but Dershowitz chose to work on behalf of a client whose social circle he's a part of and suspected of partaking in some of the crimes himself - he has plenty of reasons to recuse himself and an Era lawyer should clarify whether or not he should have recused for ethics /bar reasons - and is in one case directly accused of rape.

And this entire case is predicated on lawyers with frankly evil motivations doing evil shit to victims and abusing the system.

Last edited:

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
"This guy is obviously guilty and shouldn't be able to have lawyers" is like the hottest take imaginable. Would be used against the poor and minorities incessantly.

There's a wide gulf between the idea of everyone deserving a fair trial and defense, and volunteering to be paid to represent a monster.

It's what public defenders are for. At some point these guys made a conscious decision to represent him, they don't get to hide behind their JD.

edit: misread what you wrote, but I think it's still somewhat relevant so I'll leave it

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
It's like a real life version of Eyes Wide Shut, except involving children. I wish I had the faith in the system to bring justice to those responsible.