• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The original Twitter thread was posted last summer but was about an anonymous leader. She was named this morning.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have seen and heard about Jennifer often on twitter and if this turns out to be true then man... who can you even trust anymore?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If this is true the amount of projection she has engaged in is staggering.

She's also got this whole thing where she has said in the past that people shouldn't believe receipts/evidence so oh boy.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Sounds like a description of typical toxic narcissist interpersonal behavior. I have a family member like this. I don't really think grooming is an appropriate label for what was described in that thread, unless there is more context I am not aware of, but she does not sound like someone who should be in any position of power over people.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I believe this, if only because her tweets feel like they were posted out fear, anguish and Nitrous Oxide. As if the underlying though while posting this is, "I shouldn't put her name? Did I put her name? I won't put her name. I put her name TWICE."

That shit is miserable.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Does grooming mean sexual abuse? Or something else?

Grooming is a precursor to sexual abuse, but it refers to building a relationship/gaining someone's trust specifically to take advantage of/exploit them. This could be ruining someone's career in secret while pretending to be close to them - or go as far as sexual abuse.

It means interacting with underage people with the intention of making them your lover when they come of age.
that is grooming, but grooming is a lot more general than that one specific example.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
This is one I've been absolutely shocked by. It just shows how you can't tell who someone is just cus they seem nice online. I understand why the victim was reticent about coming forward as Jennifer seems to be very popular in dev circles. The victim's very brave and I wish her only good things, I will defo be heeding her words and have unfollowed Scheurle.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Oh wow... I almost went to a wrestling show with her just prior to the pandemic but it got canceled.

She was doing a lot in Seattle during the George Floyd stuff.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Man, we live in crazy times. Jennifer Scheurle's career could be over in a heartbeat (maybe rightfully so), simply based on twitter allegations.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
It's always a shame to hear this sort of thing happen, but I'm glad some of her victims are coming out to talk about it. Wishing them the best.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, my partner has pretty much looked up to her as a dev icon for a long time now. To the point of seeking advice in Discords and what not. This sucks. We can't ever have nice things.

Also weird to see a former colleague as one of the tweets in this thread O.o

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. She'll likely be dismissed from some professional circles and probably go radio silent for a while.

Honestly, I'm mostly concerned that the Shipbreaker fans already angry about the union storyline and "sjw" characters will use this as extra fuel to campaign against further changes to the game. (Jennifer is the lead designer at that studio)

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Honestly, I'm mostly concerned that the Shipbreaker fans already angry about the union storyline and "sjw" characters will use this as extra fuel to campaign against further changes to the game. (Jennifer is the lead designer at that studio)
The Gamergate types were already calling for her to be fired when she was at Arenanet because of her views.

When she was eventually fired for unknown reasons those types jumped on the fact she had been so outspoken about BLM.

I'm sure they will use this to further their cause.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I've been following her for a while now as she seems like a genuinely nice person and always shares an interesting perspectives and anecdotes but yeah, yikes.

Saw this posted as well.

Seems to me that this organization does not really care about Devs if they are not known to a wider public or just want to protect those
who have something to say within their ranks. That looks bad

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The OP clarified there was nothing sexual about her behavior and that grooming may have been the wrong word to use. Either way, it was abuse.

Yeah:

Either way, it sounds like Scheurle was a huge asshole, and not accountable to how she hurt people.

So reading up on her tweets she said it wasn't sexual. Is it still grooming?

I think it's possible to overemphasize specific terms. When someone hurts you, you often look for a box to put that hurt in, a framework for understanding the pain. That's what happened here. After sitting on it for awhile, the person who stepped forward apparently decided "grooming" wasn't the best word, but abusive behavior is still abusive behavior.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So reading up on her tweets she said it wasn't sexual. Is it still grooming?

Neilg answered this earlier in the thread. Grooming doesn't have to be sexual. I used that word because it was used in the tweet.

The original Twitter thread has been followed up on to say it wasn't sexual, but was abusive behavior. And she doesn't appear to be the only one, based on comments from others, or the previous complaints sent to IGDA.

Mods have updated the title.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Damn I've been following her for a while now as she seems like a genuinely nice person and always shares an interesting perspectives and anecdotes but yeah, yikes.

Saw this posted as well.

This is awful. They knew and kept her in a privledged position which they knew would put her in the path of the particular people she liked to victimise.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The OP clarified there was nothing sexual about her behavior and that grooming may have been the wrong word to use. Either way, it was abuse.
Grooming doesn't only mean sexual, though. This can still be grooming. Building a relationship with someone to gain their trust then to eventually exploit, gaslight, and abuse them is grooming.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
So what type of abuse are we talking about? I guess I don't understand exactly what she was doing to warrant the call-out.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's awful and another reminder that abuse comes in all forms, from all types of people. I hope she faces consequences and the IGDA should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring this two years running.

Oct 28, 2017
Have seen and heard about Jennifer often on twitter and if this turns out to be true then man... who can you even trust anymore?
I'm not trying to call you out I just want to say that I understand. I have been bullied my entire childhood and throughout high school. I just want to say you trust the individual person standing in front of you. Not ideologies, not where they were born, not what other people say about them but the real person standing in front of you. If this was unnecessary and your statement was rhetorical then disregard I wrote.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

41mLKW5jHiL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Why would you trust anyone you don't know just because people say nice things about them on Twitter? Famous, revered, idolised, whatever. Surely experience has taught us better.

Some people will accuse me of trust issues. I believe the opposite is a trust issue. I believe that trust has to be earned, it's not a given, not a default, not assumed. And once earned, it's not indefinite.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to call you out I just want to say that I understand. I have been bullied my entire childhood and throughout high school. I just want to say you trust the individual person standing in front of you. Not ideologies, not where they were born, not what other people say about them but the real person standing in front of you. If this was unnecessary and your statement was rhetorical then disregard I wrote.
41mLKW5jHiL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Why would you trust anyone you don't know just because people say nice things about them on Twitter? Famous, revered, idolised, whatever. Surely experience has taught us better.

Some people will accuse me of trust issues. I believe the opposite is a trust issue. I believe that trust has to be earned, it's not a given, not a default, not assumed. And once earned, it's not indefinite.
It seems I wasn't clear enough. I never trusted her or anyone that I don't know. Heck I never even followed her. But seeing how many other known devs interacted with her, in what position she is and how outspoken she is one might assume(!) that she is a person that wouldn't end up like a shithead. I can even see people working with her thinking she might be a decent person, until she might backstab you.
Because of people like her, one might never trust anyone professionally

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It seems I wasn't clear enough. I never trusted her or anyone that I don't know. Heck I never even followed her. But seeing how many other known devs interacted with her, in what position she is and how outspoken she is one might assume(!) that she is a person that wouldn't end up like a shithead. I can even see people working with her thinking she might be a decent person, until she might backstab you.
Well let me be honest, no person ever should trust anyone professionally in an absolute manner. You make plans both under the assumption that every person your working with is working under good faith while also making sure that everything is in order if they aren't.

Oct 28, 2017
I read your quote and I Stand by what i said. Disregard everything else because in reality it is circumstantial evidence treat as people as individuals. Other people's experience can inform your decisions but they can not replace your own decisions. Take care.

Noni is such a kind and caring soul (she's a fellow producer from Sydney like me), and it breaks my heart that she had to go through such shit. I had heard of hearsay of Jennifer's narcissistic ways from people her (she lived in Sydney for a few years), so while it isn't surprising that this has come out it still makes me mad.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a specific range of traits that are shared/required between abusive twats and CEOs, or does it bring itself out...or what...?

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah:

Either way, it sounds like Scheurle was a huge asshole, and not accountable to how she hurt people.

I think it's possible to overemphasize specific terms. When someone hurts you, you often look for a box to put that hurt in, a framework for understanding the pain. That's what happened here. After sitting on it for awhile, the person who stepped forward apparently decided "grooming" wasn't the best word, but abusive behavior is still abusive behavior.

Neilg answered this earlier in the thread. Grooming doesn't have to be sexual. I used that word because it was used in the tweet.

The original Twitter thread has been followed up on to say it wasn't sexual, but was abusive behavior. And she doesn't appear to be the only one, based on comments from others, or the previous complaints sent to IGDA.

Mods have updated the title.
So hardcore manipulation.

That's pretty messed up all the same.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a specific range of traits that are shared/required between abusive twats and CEOs, or does it bring itself out...or what...?

Power. Simple as that. And old as time itself if you see this quote from Plato "The measure of a man is what he does with power." Anyone can seem like a totally normal and fine person until put in a position of power. A lot of people become assholes and scum when they get power.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

"power corrupts" and yada yada. It's a simplistic take but so many turn into terrible people with even a smidge of authority.

Also being a good liar/manipulator is one of the best skills to have if you want to move up a hierarchy. So you'll finds lots of manipulators in higher positions.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Aw SHIT. I was really looking forward to that game's final release from Early Access. Well, guess it's better that I know now who's worked on the game.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Doc Burford (Adiós, Paratopic) did a lot of narrative work on Shipbreakers, too. I'm guessing more cool folks were behind that game that contributed to the space working class and anti-capitalist narrative.