• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
NES Works: Track & Field | Rush ’N Attack | BurgerTime
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Track & Field | Rush 'N Attack | BurgerTime retrospective: Arcade fire | NES Works #039

Moving on to April and May 1987, three classic arcade games (well, maybe more like two classics and one "whuzzat?") arrive on NES in rapid succession courtesy of Data East and Konami. Konami's two games share a tenuous link in their cold wars roots, while Data East's game is... well, it's weird.
BIG review next week.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's funny, I've been looking forward to 1987 NES Works for a long time because of games like Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, and Mega Man. So lately I've been eagerly awaiting the "next episode" promo at the end of the videos.

But in this episode's promo, when I saw the screen stayed black for a long time, I knew something very big was coming... Parish masterfully built up the anticipation with the big payoff of Castlevania at the end and I couldn't have been happier lol.

(Though if I paid more attention, I would have actually seen the "Castlevania - coming up in NES Works #40" text in the middle of the video while noting this was episode 39 lol.)

Also still very much looking forward to SNES Works on Super Castlevania IV!

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Maybe not next week.
hm4W9.gif

Guess I should have ended my last post with this then.

tenor.gif

Segaiden: Sega Ages: Thunder Force IV
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
SEGA Ages: Lightening Force overview: Styx and stones | SEGAiden #02

SEGA Ages on Switch proves its mettle with its second debut title, a conversion of the crown jewel of SEGA's recently acquired Technosoft catalog. It's Thunder Force IV, or as people without the good sense to talk to a copy editor before reprogramming complex title graphics know it, Lightening Force. Wonky name aside, it's pretty great.
And, just because...

Super NES Works: Waialae Country Club | Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Waialae Country Club & Super Baseball Simulator 1.000: Sporting chance | Super NES Works #024

A pair of bog-standard sports titles awaits us as the Super NES library makes the transition from November to December 1991. We've already seen takes on these sports (golf and baseball) in very similar formats. What do T&E Soft and Culture Brain have to offer that HAL and Jaleco didn't? If anything!?

Super NES Works: Super Off Road | Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Super Off Road & Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball: Super star sagas | Super NES Works #025

Another double-header of sports-themed games, but this time the works under the microscope don't adhere quite so rigidly to genre standards. Instead, both Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball and Super Off-Road take more inventive approaches to their subjects in pursuit of fun... though one of these is definitely more successful in that objective than the other.
A three month Castlevania series starting next week...how about that?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I burst out laughing at the Trump appearance. Really looking forward to the SCIV videos.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Man, I'm gonna break a lot of hearts when everyone realizes that "three months of Castlevania" remark was just me making fun of myself...
Well, Rondo of Blood and Symphony are coming to PS4. Considering you're currently going through M2's Sega releases for Switch, perhaps a one off (or two, depending on how you do things) tangent for that release would be worthy of a look?

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am here! And I even finally got rid of the "ToastyFrog" handle some mod stuck me with against my express wishes more than a decade ago! Glad you guys are still enjoying my videos and/or nap time.
I'm watching some of your videos posted in the thread and really enjoying them. I gotta ask though, how come you used the GBC's colour graphics when recording gameplay for Game Boy retrospectives? Though it lacks the blurry greenishness of original hardware, the four-shades-of-grey setting adheres closer to the intended look for those games IMO.

Gonna check out the Atari Lynx video now, keep up the good work!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's Super Game Boy. Color was built into the system, and many later GB games were designed around it. In the case of first-party legacy titles, Nintendo even programmed specific palettes to activate for those games.
If I'm not mistaken, Donkey Kong 94 even has voice samples if you play it on a Super Game Boy.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, Donkey Kong 94 even has voice samples if you play it on a Super Game Boy.
Yeah, Pauline scream and Ending song.
Space Invaders '94 has a SGB exclusive mode.
And a lot of later Tiertex games and a few other games have a fully upgraded soundtrack when played on SGB.
(more specifically, those games:
Code:
Animaniacs (SGB)(1995-07)(Factor 5)(Konami)
Bug's Life, A (SGB)(1998-12)(Tiertex)(THQ)
FIFA Soccer '97 (SGB)(1996-11)(EA Canada)(Tiertex)(Black Pearl)
FIFA Soccer '98 - Road to World Cup (SGB)(1997-12)(Electronic Arts)(Tiertex)(THQ)
Hercules (SGB)(1997-07)(Tiertex)(THQ)
Hunchback of Notre Dame (SGB)(1997-03)(Tiertex)(THQ)
Madden '97 (SGB)(1996-11)(Tiertex)(Black Pearl)
Mulan (SGB)(1998-10)(Tiertex)(THQ)
Nekketsu! Beach Volley dayo Kunio-kun (SGB)(1994-07-29)(Technos Japan)
Olympic Summer Games - Atlanta 1996 (SGB)(1996-06)(Tiertex)(Black Pearl)
Pocahontas (SGB)(1996-04)(Tiertex)(Black Pearl)
Poko Nyan! Yume no Daibouken (SGB)(1994-08-05)(-)(Toho)
Pro Mahjong Kiwame GB (SGB)(1994-12-23)(-)(Athena)
Small Soldiers (SGB)(1998-11)(Tiertex)(THQ)
Space Invaders (SGB)(1994-10)(Taito)(-)(Nintendo)
Toy Story (SGB)(1996-05)(Tiertex)(Black Pearl)
World Cup '98 (SGB)(1998-06)(Electronic Arts)(Tiertex)(THQ)
I've done some legwork on that front, but I'm in no hurry.
I'm oh-so-looking forward to GBC breaking your spirit
AFAIK, the amount of shovelware on the system is second only to NDS.

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

Kirby's Dream Land 2 does something similar.

I'm incredibly jealous whenever the SGB2 is used in these videos. I really wish that had come here given how much I used my SGB as a kid and it would've been an excellent upgrade when Pokémon hit.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
The Works series is a pleasure to watch, like addictingly good. Keep up the good work, Jeremy.

And I know you have a lot on your plate but is there any chance we could get some Turbografx/PC Engine love in either the Works series in the future or a Retronaughts episode? Just a passing hopeful wish from someone who had their Turbo Duo recapped a few years ago and has been taking a deep dive back into their TG-16/PCE collection. I was a proud weird kid who had a TG-16 and a Duo in '93/94 before I finally got my SNES.

Also wanted to say the Lightening Force video was great of course, did an excellent job highlighting why the game is such an impressive set piece for the Genesis and may be my favorite M2 Sega re-release to date.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
That's 20% of the series right there!

But it's a darn good 20%! Tastes may vary but it's like the shooting equivalent of a fine glass of gin and tonic even I'd say.

qHPGBvm.jpg

FWIW I would maybe be willing to donate Aldynes or maybe another TG-16/PCE game for a video someday if that's ever in the cards. If only I had the time to do my own TG-16 Works.

rg7JiUx.jpg

NwyTMer.jpg

c03KU3M.jpg

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Super Off Road is one of my favorite arcade games. I remember when Midway Arcade Treasures 3 came out on the PS2 I was beyond excited. Not only was Super Off Road in the collection, but it also included a "track pack" version with 8 new tracks.

I bring the game home, fire it up, and find out spinning that wheel like crazy is 95% of the fun. Man I was so disappointed.

I remember when my local arcade changed the game so you got 3 credits for a quarter. Put 75 cents into the thing and you could micro transaction your way into having a maxed out truck by like the third race. A friend and I took turns for like 3 hours one afternoon. We had 5 million in the bank and nothing to spend it on since everything was maxed. The game chugs when you use like 50+ nitros in a row.

Last edited:
NES Works: Castlevania
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Castlevania retrospective: Vlad tidings | NES Works #040

Yeah, it's another Konami game... but not just any ol' Konami game. Castlevania is huge for both the publisher and the platform. A compact, challenging, six-stage adventure, Castlevania manages to be one of those rare works that nails its concepts on the first go. It may owe its basic concept to Ghosts 'N Goblins, but this adventure is so much more than its inspiration. The first NES third-party masterpiece.

Super NES Works: Super Castlevania IV
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Super Castlevania IV retrospective: Simon's big adventure | Super NES Works #026

Last week we looked at the original Castlevania for NES; now here is its Super NES remake. Sort of. Super Castlevania IV is kind of like a remix of Castlevania 1 and 3 (which does add up to IV!), but it makes some pretty big changes to the core mechanics of controlling Simon Belmont. On the other hand, it carries over a lot of elements from the NES, too. It's an odd duck in the Castlevania series that doesn't always work but has so much loving detail invested into it that it holds up regardless of its flaws.
Next episode...a perfect moment to transition from Halloween to Xmas.

NES Works: Ikari Warriors | Athletic World
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Ikari Warriors & Athletic World retrospective: Anger mismanagement | NES Works #041

Future console first-party SNK makes its NES debut this week, and... well, let's just say there's room for improvement. Ikari Warriors was good and fun in the arcades, and on NES, it exists and doesn't cause your console to self-destruct. So that's something. Also, a half-look at Bandai's first Power Pad title, Athletic World.

NES Works: Mighty Bomb Jack | Solomon's Key
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Mighty Bomb Jack & Solomon's Key retrospective: Tecmo's inception | NES Works #042

A new third-party challenger has appeared! Tecmo arrives on NES with two simultaneous launches, both of which more or less fall into the puzzle-platformer genre. Solomon's Key and Mighty Bomb Jack are full of arcane secrets and high difficulty levels. Just the kind of thing a growing video game boy needs in his diet.
Next time...we enter the Pit of Despair.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Solomon's Key was a game my mom and I would sit and play together for hours. It's a memory I have with incredible fondness, and even though she's passed away now, I can't help but think of her anytime I see the game mentioned.

Will definitely watch this one just for the feels.

NES Works: Kid Icarus
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Kid Icarus retrospective: A stygian Pit | NES Works #043

The first of Nintendo's major releases for 1987 arrives, bringing with it some new technical innovations that will play a huge part in allowing U.S. releases for the system to maintain parity with titles that ran on pricey expansion hardware in Japan—and to go even further beyond that in the years to come. Oh, and the game itself is pretty good, too. Just be sure to take care when writing down those passwords...

NES Works: Rygar
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Rygar retrospective: The sunset of a new dawn for NES | NES Works #044

Tecmo delivers its third game almost immediately on the heels of Solomon's Key and Mighty Bomb Jack, and it's a doozy. Rygar kicks off a couple of trends we're going to see a lot of in the coming years on NES: It radically reinvents an arcade game for the console, and it's pretty much a proto-metroidvania action title. Good stuff here that deserves to be enshrined in history.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Mighty Bomb Jack was a childhood favorite of mine even though it was really hard. Kinda wish it was on the NES Classic. (I really gotta hack my Classics)

Also I prefer Solomon's sequel "Fire 'n' Ice" for its music and art style.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm lovin' how these last two to four videos have captured the growth of NES games. With Rygar now and Metroid on the horizon we're seeing genres kinda develop over each video.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I loved Rygar so much as a kid whenever I'd borrow it from my friend. I actually beat it as a kid but had to leave my NES on because I couldn't do it in one sitting. I still remember the stress of hoping my grandmother wouldn't turn it off while I was at school and me placing a bit of tape over the power light so she wouldn't notice it was on all day. lol

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Rygar, along with some others like Karnov, was one of those NES games that probably made my friends think I was an asshole. I borrowed Rygar from a friend who told me it was a weird game that they couldn't finish. A few days later I gave it back and was all, "That was easy and fun," having completed it over the weekend.

It was nice to revisit it for this project and find that it really is a nicely made little game, like I remember it being!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm lovin' how these last two to four videos have captured the growth of NES games. With Rygar now and Metroid on the horizon we're seeing genres kinda develop over each video.

Yep, we're getting to some really good stuff now. This series always provides great context, too. The "chron" concept done right!

NES Works: Section-Z
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Section-Z retrospective: Tunnel visionary | NES Works #045

Capcom continues its diligent efforts to overhaul its arcade games for NES with a revamp every bit as admirable as Tecmo's fresh take on Rygar. A liner 1985 corridor shooter becomes a complex space labyrinth demanding patience, persistence, and a willingness to plot out some complicated connections, in effect becoming an all-new game—one diminished in history by its close proximity to Nintendo's Metroid and an unfortunate decision by Capcom USA to remove the save feature present in the Japanese release.