• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
If you're already familiar with the work of Jeremy Parish (be it through 1Up, US Gamer, and the Retronauts podcast), then I'm sure you've already invested in his series where he tries to cover all the Game Boy, NES and SNES games, each from beginning to end. If you're not, then let me expla...wait, I just did that already. But anyway, throughout the show, you'll come across such titles being covered, like:

Super Mario Land.

Wizards and Warriors X: Fortress of Fear.

Heiankyo Alien (Jeremy would probably flip if I didn't mention this at least once).

Gargoyle's Quest.

Tennis.

Popeye.

Ghosts 'N Goblins.

Gradius.

F-Zero.

Sim City.

Gradius III.

Final Fight.

Playlists are here.

His latest episodes have just began covering N64 titles (though don't expect him to be all that frequent with episodes on that platform), starting with Super Mario 64. It's already been covered in two parts with a third set to follow.

This is a very demanding effort taken up by just one man, so if you can, please support Jeremy's Patreon. He would be very grateful if you did your effort in donating to him.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate this series purely based on the fact that I owned Heiankyo Alien as a kid and loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good series. I always enjoy listening to Parish talk, and these are well-produced and informative, even the episodes on forgettable Game Boy shovelware.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I love Jeremy parish (hope he shows up on resetera!) and think these videos have been great. Between these and all the stuff Dr Sparkle has put out I've wasted way too many hours on chrongaming serieseseses.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Parish is fantastic. Even on points I don't fully agree with, he's consistently thoughtful, insightful, and articulate. Also worth pointing out the work he and others do on Retronauts as it's excellent. I got a kick out of him recently trying to map Final Fantasy 1 in real-time on graphing paper, heh.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great series. Even with duds, Jeremy does a good job of framing their place in a system's lineup and how they came to be.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
T-frog is a national treasure
His dulcet tones are great to fall asleep to when you run the videos in the background!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
His podcasts almost never put me to sleep, but something about Gameboy Works when its an ancient PC port and about 10 am on a Monday or Tuesday starts conking me out.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love Jeremy parish (hope he shows up on resetera!) and think these videos have been great. Between these and all the stuff Dr Sparkle has put out I've wasted way too many hours on chrongaming serieseseses.
I am here! And I even finally got rid of the "ToastyFrog" handle some mod stuck me with against my express wishes more than a decade ago! Glad you guys are still enjoying my videos and/or nap time.

watkinzez

Oct 25, 2017
Straya mate
I'm interested to see how Mario Odyssey turns out, what with it harkening back to the exploratory platformers of the N64 era. SM64 and the Banjo games were some of my first favourite games, but I've grown to like the tightly designed levels of Galaxy more than the exploratory stuff of the former. Even more recent things like Psychonauts I tolerate playing for the writing more than anything.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
Did Bob manage to get his account set up?

EDIT: As so often before, I had both Retronauts threads open and got confused. :(

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up with these this morning over coffee. It's been forever since I've revisited or even looked at Mario 64, so it's good to look back on before I start playing Odyssey. I need to check out those Cart-ography videos, too.

Is there any chance that your Gintendo Four Job Fiesta will keep going, Jeremy?

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Are you taking my job? Because I'm also supposed to include the description to get people's beaks wet, in case the initial title may seem uninteresting to them.

Irem's classic shooter series makes its debut on a Nintendo home console at last with a remixed conversion of R-Type II. And it's… OK. Riddled with slowdown and hilariously unfair, Super R-Type really has quite a lot in common with Gradius III. Not a terrible game, but a little bit of a letdown.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Another fan here. Jeremy Parish does damn fine work. Thoughtful about games in a way few others are.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
Love it. Jeremy Parish has been a constant in my podcast feed for... over ten years now?

Super NES Works: HyperZone
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
HyperZone retrospective: F-Zero times two is still zero | Super NES Works #009

It's Space Harrier action in an F-Zero wrapper with this forgotten shoot-em-up by Nintendo mainstays HAL. A slight game, it's nevertheless memorable for its trippy visuals… and notable for its secret true-3D mode.
Ouch at that George H.W. joke.

Also, I guess this means that StarFox 2 is off the table, eh?

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
I was completely unfamiliar with this game until it was brought up in last week's episode. What really got my attention was the soundtrack - I've long had a fondness for Jun Ishikawa's work in the Kirby series, and there are certainly some touches of his later SNES works here, particularly Kirby's Fun Pak/Super Star. (Does anyone else get a Revenge of MetaKnight vibe from some of the songs?) Another amusing Kirby connection that I noticed from the uploaded recording session is that a couple of the rounds are named 'Grass Land' and 'Ripple Field'. Now, while the former is a fairly generic name, the two were later used together as names for similarly themed stages in Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3. Is anyone aware of HAL using those names in any of their other games around that time?

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
It's such a wonderful in depth look at games, their surrounding history and context and impact on the gaming landscape. I can't get tired of listening to Jeremy talk about Heiankyo Alien clones.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I looove Jeremy's output, he's so thorough and his dulcet monotone is very relaxing.

Does anyone have any review or thoughts on the books he's put out? They're like the Works videos in paper form, yeah?

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Love the series and also the books. GB works is definitely my favorite as the GB is such an integral part in my gaming past.
Looking forward to all the new episodes, Jeremy.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I looove Jeremy's output, he's so thorough and his dulcet monotone is very relaxing.

Does anyone have any review or thoughts on the books he's put out? They're like the Works videos in paper form, yeah?
Effectively, yes, and he puts great high-quality photographs of the boxes/cartridges up next to the text. I think they're fascinating to look at and read from time to time, and they're a good resource if you're looking up detailed information on the games he's covered (because, to my knowledge, nobody else is doing the work he's done on early Game Boy games)