• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man the stuff about Jeremy Soule is sickening and I hope he gets to face the consequences. The way he describes his music is disgusting. The latter part reads like a toxic work-relationship.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I breezed over it and was pretty disgusted. Does she go into detail regarding the incident itself, like did he drug her or something?
No, not really. Regarding the incident itself, all she says is this:
He made advances on me and I explained that I didn't want this and wanted a friendship.
He was very threatening, and didn't listen. He made it clear that it's "him or bust".
He raped me.

The context around it is that they were colleagues and friends:
We hung out after the Christmas party and eventually a friendship formed.
He acted like he was going to help me. He was something of a mentor in terms of learning the ropes of this industry (at the time it came off as that). He offered a lot of advice, and offered a lot of help.
We talked often, and I shared my frustrations and desperation about my situation with him. He knew what I was going through, and how desperately I needed this job to work out. He also knew what my VISA situation was like. He pretty much knew everything about me. I shared a lot with him because I thought he was a friend.

But he used his senior rank and influence over her job security to manipulate her:
Eventually he started to indirectly threaten my position at work, saying things like "It's me or bust." Jeremy was close friends with the CEO, and the CEO (my boss) would speak highly of him.
I was afraid of losing my job, and he knew how desperate I was because I shared with him that I didn't know what I would do if this didn't work out. I didn't want to jeopardize this job so I was afraid of rejecting him and tried to keep the friendship.

Which gets into disturbing territory regarding how sex influences his music:
As things went on, he started to become more misogynistic and sexist.

He talked about the mystical power women hold over men with sex. How men are helpless and they need sex. How he needs sex, and a relationship, so he can write his music.
He talked about how composing is sexual, and how he will write about sex as inspiration in his music. He talked about how performing music is very sexual. He wrote songs about women that he had relationships with this way. What he does to women, is what inspires his music

A great bulk of the post seems to concern mistreatment from her former employers though, with Jeremy being a relatively small part of the story. I'm not sure why people are saying "she has the receipts" about him when most of the emails in the post seem to be arguments with her bosses over pay, terms and working conditions.

I'm inclined to believe her though. There have rumors about Soule's treatment of women for a very long time. And it's not a good look that he very suddenly deleted most of his social media presence several days ago, and that Bethesda seemingly appears to have cut ties with him awhile back. Even before this allegation, he proved himself to be a terrible person with repeatedly scamming fans over the release of his music and equating piracy with the holocaust among other bizarre views. So whether this incident happened or not, he's not exactly someone people should be supporting in the first place.

Someone on Reddit claimed that Aeralie Brighton has shared a similar account on Facebook about Soule assaulting her, but I don't have Facebook so I'm not able to verify this.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Oh shit, incredibly fucked up from Jeremy and all involved at the studio(s). And that part where she wonders how much of her is in the composition of the music for Skyrim, just sickening.

I really hope she's wrong and there's not people in the fandom willing to defend him just because they like his work.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I watched that Gamescom trailer for Skywind earlier today and wondered if there was a particular reason they weren't using his music when they clearly seemed fine with using classic voice samples (unless those were really good soundalikes) but this probably answers it. I'm glad that it seems Bethesda themselves also silently cut ties a while ago? If I'm reading the thread right? What a mess this seems to be.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that it seems Bethesda themselves also silently cut ties a while ago? If I'm reading the thread right?

was confirmed he currently isn't working on ES6, which doesn't mean too much considering how far off the game is.

just conjecture on my part but i'd assume BGS was already on the fence with him because of prior stuff, leaning towards moving on without him

Racerprose

Banned
Aug 26, 2019
Someone elses story about Mr. Soule:

I was supposed to sing and write the Norse lyrics for his Northern symphony back in 2015. When I made it clear I only wanted a professional relationship with him he blocked me. That's what they'll do. If you stand up for yourself they'll punish you by excluding you. I mean, it's not like he found some other soprano able to write lyrics in ancient Norse, an EXTINCT language...

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I heard that kickstarter was a huge scam. He never produced any music album since past 6yrs?

It was a roller coaster. It was like watching Trump. Random, non sensical updates attempting to be artsy and mystical filled with promises that would be utterly broken and never addressed. Dates came and went over and over and over. He finally put out An album, assembled from some of his left over ideas on a computer. Obviously this is nothing like the orchestra recorded symphony he promised. He stopped responding on the Kickstarter due to "excessive negativity" and only updates via Facebook now. Last I heard the symphony was due this fall - I'll believe it when I see it. I think he made a quick $120k and enjoyed himself.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole thing and holy fuck is this disgusting. How she has been treated is beyond awful. Her boss and everyone involved treated her like shit and completely took advantage.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
Sorry y'all, I stomped in here and was a huge dick over just nitpicky stuff. I made bad points, mostly because I couldn't separate myself from the situation and took shit personal. I know y'all aren't the enemy, and I shouldn't lash out just because I've got trauma of my own. My brain problems are an explanation, not an excuse. I hope y'all can forgive me, and if not, that's ok too.

If anyone here is having issues with being triggered or whatnot, RAINN has a chat room for quick help. The Dialectical Behavioral Skills Workbook is a good place to start on recovering, if anyone else is feeling like this situation hits too close to home.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
GOD, I'm hoping this shit in the industry isn't as endemic as it's currently seeming, but it's a pretty foolish hope...

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sorry y'all, I stomped in here and was a huge dick over just nitpicky stuff. I made bad points, mostly because I couldn't separate myself from the situation and took shit personal. I know y'all aren't the enemy, and I shouldn't lash out just because I've got trauma of my own. My brain problems are an explanation, not an excuse. I hope y'all can forgive me, and if not, that's ok too.

If anyone here is having issues with being triggered or whatnot, RAINN has a chat room for quick help. The Dialectical Behavioral Skills Workbook is a good place to start on recovering, if anyone else is feeling like this situation hits too close to home.

Eh, you wasn't a huge dick man, just your oppinion man, so no problemos :)

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
You two, and every weak person like you, need to read this:

And this:

Please stop perpetuating this fucking garbage idea that it's 'just one accusation' or that he needs to be found guilty in a court of law for this to mean anything. Believe women.
You two, and every weak person like you, need to read this:

And this:

Please stop perpetuating this fucking garbage idea that it's 'just one accusation' or that he needs to be found guilty in a court of law for this to mean anything. Believe women.
I apologize. I came into this thread with the mindset we shouldn't jump into conclusions based of an accusation because I have heard of false allegations in the past and wanted a fair trial of some sorts (innocent people until proven guilty). I saw the link on the OP but didn't read it when I made the reply. There are good and bad people out there. Yes, you are right that courts don't always give justice. What she did was very brave considering she came forward from something that happened in the past and had courage to write all that. I do hope justice is served for her.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Very brave lady. It takes a lot of courage to share an experience like that, and to make it public.

He sounds like a nasty, manipulative and self absorbed fool who happens to have a talent for music composition.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Soule leaked the death of James Horner on Facebook by responding to someone saying there's no way he knows and to "not say anything until there's official news" with a screenshot of a Horner family Facebook mourning post (in which they ask for privacy), as a "gotcha" for proof that he knows.

He's awful to his core. Good on this person for sharing their story and bringing it to a broader light.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What made this hard for me was that I used to be a fan of Morrowind. I loved that game. It was one of my favorite games. When Skyrim came out I couldn't play it, knowing where his music came from.
He makes songs about sex. It's about what he does to women. To him it's some sick twisted old-school romanticization of women as muses. To me, that type of boy-genius is something I view as incredibly destructive. That type of manbaby genius can do whatever he wants, harm whoever he likes, walk over whoever he wants, all in the interest of making "brilliant" work, and people will defend him for it.
Jeremy told me where the inspiration for his music comes from. It was broken down in graphic detail by him. Skyrim came out after what he did to me. Part of me wonders how much of me is in that music too… I can't listen to it.
... Yeah. That music is hella tainted now.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
No, not really. Regarding the incident itself, all she says is this:

The context around it is that they were colleagues and friends:

But he used his senior rank and influence over her job security to manipulate her:

Which gets into disturbing territory regarding how sex influences his music:

A great bulk of the post seems to concern mistreatment from her former employers though, with Jeremy being a relatively small part of the story. I'm not sure why people are saying "she has the receipts" about him when most of the emails in the post seem to be arguments with her bosses over pay, terms and working conditions.

I'm inclined to believe her though. There have rumors about Soule's treatment of women for a very long time. And it's not a good look that he very suddenly deleted most of his social media presence several days ago, and that Bethesda seemingly appears to have cut ties with him awhile back. Even before this allegation, he proved himself to be a terrible person with repeatedly scamming fans over the release of his music and equating piracy with the holocaust among other bizarre views. So whether this incident happened or not, he's not exactly someone people should be supporting in the first place.

Someone on Reddit claimed that Aeralie Brighton has shared a similar account on Facebook about Soule assaulting her, but I don't have Facebook so I'm not able to verify this.
It sounds like he coerced her over time and beat her down emotionally, almost guilting her. Might not be as violent as literally forcing himslef on her but it is equally fucked up.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Don't go to the other place on this thread. Followed a link on twitter and holy shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Read this all last night, truly horrendous. I can't imagine what a traumatic turnaround that must be for your favourite OSTs. I love the Morrowind soundtrack and it's everywhere.

Horrific. Any idea what the studios behind those ARGs were?

Pretty sure the boss's name is Greg, the redacted markers aren't blocking all the letters. The brother's name might be Shane, but not sure. Had a go at trying to work out the company names but no luck so far. One of the emails from the writer mentions Smoking Gun and it's not redacted. Its full title is Smoking Gun Interactive Inc which could fit some of the redacted spaces and is also based in Vancouver, mentions ARG.
e: seems Smoking Gun was created from people who left Relic.

Last edited:

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Anyone else surprised theres no media picking up on this at all?

The allegations seem pretty damn credible to me...

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Wow it was well known through a bunch of incidents that he's a shithead but that's a whole different kind of terrible. Screw him. I'm glad Bethesda moved on to other composers for the series and it better stays that way.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else surprised theres no media picking up on this at all?

The allegations seem pretty damn credible to me...

Some places may be (and hopefully are) speaking to those who came out with the allegations to get their approval before writing anything, as it'll undoubtedly stoke the flames and cause them more grief. Best to be ethical than "first" and reduce the amount of harm you could cause people.

Not to mention getting legal clearance for things like this in case someone makes a libel claim (especially for the UK based press).

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Some places may be (and hopefully are) speaking to those who came out with the allegations to get their approval before writing anything, as it'll undoubtedly stoke the flames and cause them more grief. Best to be ethical than "first" and duce the amount of harm you could cause people.

Not to mention getting legal clearance for things like this in case someone makes a libel claim (especially for the UK based press).
That's a great point. Best to do your research before publishing anything.

I just hope this all doesn't get swept under the rug (Soule and bosses included).

I want her and the other victims to get some kind of justice 😕

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's even worse if you read the Zoe thread over there. It's actually quite disgusting. I was legit shocked by how bad things are over there. It's super depressing.

Meanwhile thy say the same things about here. Two polar opposites. One group already convicting said individuals and the other group saying it probably didn't happen given zoes lies and bs in the past. No middle ground whatsoever.

I hope the truth comes to light. And whoever is lying receives the full extent of the law.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I'm glad there was at least a little bit of light and hope at the end with the IndieCade bit. Beyond the awful Jeremy stuff, I couldn't even stomach the corporate emails and everything after as you see scum taking advantage of someone emotionally and financially in real time.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. Fuck Soule, and fuck the bosses on both projects for treating her that way.

It also turns my stomach that music I had up until this point enjoyed came, apparently by Soule's own admission, from a place of sexual abuse. Just nauseating and vile.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
That was awful to read through, fuck him. And this is definitely a case where I will not separate the art from the artist and will just jettison them both into the abyss.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Jeremy Soule is my milkshake duck. He's arguably the greatest Western video game composer of all time; his soundtracks for Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 are a masterclass in game composition. He's also allegedly a huge piece of shit. This lady brought receipts. I have no reason to doubt her account. Just disgusting.
I feel the same way, I've listened to Skyrim's ost countless times, this is so fucking disappointing. I guess this is probably why Bethesda's gone with a different composer since Skyrim.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Wow it was well known through a bunch of incidents that he's a shithead but that's a whole different kind of terrible. Screw him. I'm glad Bethesda moved on to other composers for the series and it better stays that way.

Why do we let this happen? Why does the industry knowingly employ a shit head? It's not like we need Jeremy Soule. There's a million composers out there, why employ a slimy fuck?

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Why do we let this happen? Why does the industry knowingly employ a shit head? It's not like we need Jeremy Soule. There's a million composers out there, why employ a slimy fuck?
Because the industry, like every industry, is run by these slimy fucks. Look at who's president in the US. It's literally everywhere.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Reading the responses over in other places. Seems likely nothing happen to the aggressor here.

At least we can give her all the support we can. Not only for that incident, but everything else she talked about.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): inflammatory Thread Derailment and Trolling in a Thread on a Sensitive Subject; Prior Severe Ban for Dismissing Sexual Assault Allegations