• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really see how a preschooler show reflects on an era of "shows for kids". Cartoons are on the whole way better nowadays than in the '00s, for one thing.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cartoons peaked in the 80s.

Don't come at me, fans of Nickelodeon. Your cartoons are ugly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cartoons peaked in the 80s.

Don't come at me, fans of Nickelodeon. Your cartoons are ugly.
cartoondrugsopener.png

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a diference between all ages and stuff specifically for little kids. Sounds like your show falls into the later.

It makes me wonder if tommorows kids will feel nostalgic over those "Pregnant Elsa and Spiderman rob a bank" or whatever videos on Youtube.

Oct 26, 2017
some friends and me watched some shows from when we were kids ('80s) a while back.
Apart from the odd exception like Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31 they were all poorly animated, badly written 25 minute toy commercials.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Im not gonna lie, We Bare Bears is my "Old man yells at a cloud" show, seems like a show revolving around 3 selfish manchildren (who are also bears so we don't hate them) and tries too hard to be modern and "relatable" but ends up rendering an unflattering image of the demographic it's trying to portray.

Dear goodness, i want to punch that stupid panda in the face so damn hard.
Yeah I can see it not being everyone's thing. I threw it on on Netflix one day, looking for something light that I wouldn't have to pay close attention to, but ended up really enjoying it. I think the characters are intentionally naive/oblivious in the same way a lot of cartoon characters are. It lets them easily introduce a new conflict to be resolved in a 15 minute episode.
We Bare Bears still on? That show is the shit.
Yeah, I think they've had a small batch of new episodes every few weeks or something?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I do think there's at least some validity to OPs sentiment, but it's not necessarily what the poster thinks. I think shows now simply move faster and have less time to really digest the same braindead ideas we were served as children. It's not that they're dumber or ours were smarter, it's simply that shows now have to move at a considerably faster pace than previous generations because competing mediums of entertainment exist that are hitting the same highs in a faster pace, especially with technology (games, etc). So watching it seems insane, but it just means we're old and slow.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this show before but it looks like it's for pre-k kids. Kids that young barely have a grasp on anything so if it can hold their attention and teach them a new word or concept, then it seems fine. It's not meant to be palatable for people over the age of 7.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
But...that show is literally an educational cartoon based on known and proven child development theory, designed to teach kids new words and reward them for it
I don't know, I feel like Pokemon teached the exact same values without needing to be so stupid.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
But if you actually put meaning behind these shows, a certain demographic will be crying "SJWs are ruining our youth!"

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter's in the preschool age and most the shows are either 20 minute toy adverts (Paw Patrol) or irritating as fuck (Bing), but occasionally there's diamonds. Hey Duggee is an absolute delight and I will happily sit and watch multiple episodes with my daughter, mostly because they throw in jokes or references that kids will laugh at but are blatantly aimed at the parents watching.

I also had a massive dislike for Peppa Pig before my daughter started watching it as I thought it fit into the advert category, turns out it's actually not that bad and similarly has jokes thrown in for parents.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
*Watches 10 minutes of one show and denounces all children's shows*

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Falls its better than most of the cartoons I watched as a kid, except maybe Hey Arnold

I think a lot about how Hey Arnold! rightfully is fondly remembered as one of the best shows of its time and a great cartoon, but if the show had come out in this age, the same people who champion 90's cartoons would say things like "Hey Arnold appeals to SJWs" and scream "Forced Diversity!".

Pokemon taught you.
And you taught them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I kept HBO after Game of Thrones ended solely to have access to all those seasons of Sesame Street that my son is addicted to on the weekends. He fucking loves Elmo, and the show is actually entertaining for adults to watch along with them. He's also watching Pokemon from the very beginning as a "treat" if he's been good.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Which highly intelligent and smart shows for kids did you watch back in the day? With quality animation, voice acting and all of that.

Land of the Lost (scripts were written by sci-fi writers)

Although yea I agree for the most part there are way more sophisticated kids shows than before (Avatar, Steven Universe, Shera, etc..)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked it up and it's one of those shows for, like, 3-5 year olds. Those shows are there to teach kids how to count to 5 and what a color is. What did you expect from it?

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I can't stand word party, not For the content or anything it's just exceptionally ugly compared to just about everything else my twin niece and nephew watch on Netflix

Also the characters are babies in diapers but it's aimed at the early reading crowd, even my niece and Nephew don't like it for that reason even though they're the target age. They're already at the age where they don't want to be seen as babies anymore

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I just looked it up and it's one of those shows for, like, 3-5 year olds. Those shows are there to teach kids how to count to 5 and what a color is. What did you expect from it?
I don't know. Maybe teach them to respect human beings before moving to numbers and shit, that's what school's for. As much as I dislike Peppa Pig it does a great job at that.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I would say the opposite. Even the trashier shows like Blaze and the monster machines have STEM topics in them like momentum and velocity etc. My kids learned all their sight words way before kindergarten through these DVDs that just show a word like 'it' playing basketball or some stupid shit in sub flash animation while the word is repeated 20 times. They were super infuriating, but damn if my kids weren't way ahead of the curve at school.