• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Totally different intended audiences for the shows you've mentioned, OP. Educational cartoons for toddlers are in a completely different category than the shows you mentioned you watched as a kid. Compare Courage to Regular Show or something like that, not Word Party, which is described as "a vocabulary-building show from The Jim Henson Company that follows four adorable baby animals as they sing, dance and play." lol

Cartoons peaked in the 80s.

Don't come at me, fans of Nickelodeon. Your cartoons are ugly.
If anything, the 80s were the low point.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew loved the Mickey Mouse show where they do the hot dog dance. Its dumb but he responds to it.

I think Mickey's House is hilarious in how it's a show that encourages participation but it also is, like, rigged, because every episode Mickey introduces the tools he'll use through the episode and encourages kids to guess when each tool will be used, except one of the tools is always a "mystery tool" deus ex machina that could be used anywhere.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day, I grew up with a religious show. I got hold of my cousin's VHS of evangelion subbed. It was pretty fucked, but I'm okay.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I feel like Pokemon teached the exact same values without needing to be so stupid.
Wait, Pokemon taught you how to spell and speak? Cause that's not what I got out of it. Honestly, quality aside watching Word Party is probably a hellova lot more useful than Pokemon as a kid.

In any case, shows like this have existed forever. Remember The Electric Company? Or even Sesame Street?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Came for the thread backfire, was not disappointed.

Like always and with everything there are quality kids show out there and shit shows.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Maybe teach them to respect human beings before moving to numbers and shit, that's what school's for. As much as I dislike Peppa Pig it does a great job at that.
Er....both are important...

Do you ever think that you've made enough threads for the day? Seems like we are scraping bottom of the barrel here.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, Pokemon taught you how to spell and speak?

Knew a Latvian lassie at University who spoke English with the thickest US accent you've ever heard. Never realised she was Latvian for months until she spoke with another Latvian I knew. She learned English by watching Cartoon Network, Sesame Street, etc when she was home, and she can't shake the accent, or even Americanisms in spelling.

Its a mad world.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure what you're expecting. It's a show designed to teach young kids vocab. There's not supposed to be a storyline or any depth beyond that.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
With shows like these, there's usually an underlying curriculum that the show runners work off of, so I decided to look into this show's. Turns out, Word Party is a show by the Jim Henson Company (so, an excellent track record I think we can all agree on).

I also found this article on the Jim Henson family website by someone who was a consultant for Word Party who breaks down the thought process in creating the show.

Our first step was to use empirical data to identify the right words to teach kids, so that even infants would be engaged by the show, while allowing older children - 2 and 3 year olds – to also benefit. To do this, we used Stanford University's online tool called "Wordbank" a website that reports data from literally thousands of children around the world, and describes which words they use and when they begin using them. This tool allowed us to identify "foundational" words, which we felt children would be likely to be already working on but need to hear more to firm up their knowledge, and what we called "aspirational" words, which we felt most children would be unlikely to know, but were just "around the corner" developmentally. Also, we didn't settle for words that act like simple pointers to objects – like "dog" and "cat" – but tried to focus on language that requires children to build new concepts, like words that describe perception, thoughts, space, emotions, and opposites like "fast" and "slow," or "up" and "down." Finally, we grouped words into what we called "domains" – groups of words that have something in common, but contrast with each other in specific ways. This choice was based on science telling us that children begin figuring out hard, abstract, words by assembling them into groups – sometimes called "lexical classes" – and by comparing them with each other, allowing them to learn the boundaries of what counts as "red" by figuring out "pink" and "purple", or to learn what counts as "square" by seeing examples of things that aren't squares, like diamonds, triangles, and hearts. In Word Party, these groups of words were then turned into songs and chants, to help children identify meaningful lexical classes, and to learn not just by associating sounds with objects, but also by reasoning about how words contrast with one another, and how they work together to explainaspects of their world.

Really good read for people actually interested in the science of shows for children in extremely early developmental years.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peppa Pig is adorable

Pepos Pig is a spoilt brat who throws a hissy fit when she doesn't get her own way. She announced herself as the winner of a fancy dress party, continually does the opposite of what her parents tell her to do and is just generally a horrible person.

I've got a child who's 4 and there's loads of shows that I'm happy for her to watch. Blaze And The Monster Machines for example. Teaches them about velocity and centrifugal force and shit.

Also did OP forget that shows like Barney have existed since forever?

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be more concerned with what children would be watching on Youtube at that age, but lack of supervision I suppose is the real issue there, more so than quality of content.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Knew a Latvian lassie at University who spoke English with the thickest US accent you've ever heard. Never realised she was Latvian for months until she spoke with another Latvian I knew. She learned English by watching Cartoon Network, Sesame Street, etc when she was home, and she can't shake the accent, or even Americanisms in spelling.

Its a mad world.
I learned a lot of German by watching dubbed The Simpsons and Futurama, so I suppose it makes sense. As the OP's primary language seems to be Spanish, I guess Pokémon could teach English, but that's certainly not the main purpose of any of those shows, haha

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
List of somewhat current good shows for kids you can totally stealth-binge with them:

Steven Universe
Hilda
Gumball
Duck Tales
She-Ra
MLP
Carmen Sandiego
Amphibia (not seen myself yet)
Marvel Rising
Over the Garden Wall
Trollhunters?
Sonic Boom (underrated af!)
Tons of Anime :p

can't think of more. There's good stuff out there.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Between Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Netflix, and other platforms, we're really in a golden age of television animation in terms of variety and writing quality.

Shows for younger audiences like Sesame Street, Arthur, and Hilda (what age range is Hilda targeted at anyway?) are all quality.

And for older audiences, we have Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Gumball, She-ra, Amphibia, We Bare Bears, The Loud House, Craig of the Creek, Trollhunters, Ducktales, etc., and we have promising upcoming shows like The Owl House and Infinity Train.

There was a lot of garbage in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, but the garbage is rarely remembered.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
As far as cartoons for young kids. the Australian show Bluey seems to be well regarded. Getting its US release on Disney+

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
It's torture for parents but that's just the way they are.I was actually happy when my daughter graduated to My Little Pony. At least it was something with a decent story and character development.

Mickey Mouse "hot dog" dance still haunts me.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. Maybe teach them to respect human beings before moving to numbers and shit, that's what school's for. As much as I dislike Peppa Pig it does a great job at that.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is ideal for that (granted, it's a spin-off of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood). Way better than Pokemon or Courage or anything else from circa 2000, certainly.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
OP's seemingly complete disconnect towards the difference between educational shows and "good" shows is cracking me up. Doubly so with all the repeated typos.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
List of somewhat current good shows for kids you can totally stealth-binge with them:

Steven Universe
Hilda
Gumball
Duck Tales
She-Ra
MLP
Carmen Sandiego
Amphibia (not seen myself yet)
Marvel Rising
Over the Garden Wall
Trollhunters?
Sonic Boom (underrated af!)
Tons of Anime :p

can't think of more. There's good stuff out there.

Why did you ruin the list mentioning anime? lol

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I remember my mom telling me the same when I used to watch Ed edd and eddy, dbz, and other Cartoon Network cartoons.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
My sister is currently watching a cartoon for kids called Word Party. Look, I'm not expecting a deep philosophical message about how life is meaningless and nothing matters, but Jesus Chris I feel like I'm losing brainchells watching it. It feels like a never-ending stroke while being high on bleach.

There's no clear line of thought. The animation is so bad it feels like a fever dream, the topics they touch are so absurdly stupid that I'm surprised kids can enjoy this. The voice acting is horrible too, everyone talks as if they were drunk. What the fuck is this, seriously.
Cartoons like Transformers et al were created for the sole express purpose of selling toys.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to let the youth watch The Magic School Bus. There are guest appearances from Uncle Phil, Theo, and George Jefferson.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I feel like Pokemon teached the exact same values without needing to be so stupid.

One show teaches rudimentary language skills for very young children in a calm and pedagogical manner, the other has children practicing what is essentialy dog fighting with sentient slavepets. One of them is better suited for two year olds, and I'll leave it up to you to decide which one that is.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How old is your sister? If she's not a baby, she probably should be watching something else. Even on Netflix, there are tiers of shows. Super Monsters, for instance, is a show for like toddlers a little older than Word Party. When they get older, though, man it's like the golden age of cartoons, plus you can pretty much watch any cartoon from the past few decades in some fashion.

Also Peppa Pig is wholesome and great (for that age range).

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is bothering me, it should be

Jesus Christ! Shows for kids nowadays are completely braindead.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Well duh, doesn't change the transformers from being awesome.

Lemme let you in on a little known secret here: Most art gets made so that some people can get paid. an absolute shocking concept, I know.

It's a job for someone in the end, but comparing the basic ethics of a show designed to teach young children language skills with a show that was cynically designed to sell plastic robot dolls doesn't make Transformers come out on top.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day, we had intellectual shows like Power Rangers, The Ripping Friends, Young Hercules, Johnny Bravo, Big Bad Beetleborgs, etc. Those shows were at least educational in regards to world building, friendship, social interactions, self-defense, the fairer sex, numbers, and even cosplay. You won't find those with infant television today and it's a shame.