• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Captain Planet are the best cartoons ever and I remember their lessons fondly.

Kids these days just don't know

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
250px-Recess_poster_toon.jpg

This shit was great.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's a job for someone in the end, but comparing the basic ethics of a show designed to teach young children language skills with a show that was cynically designed to sell plastic robot dolls doesn't make Transformers come out on top.
Yes, it absolutely does. let me know when the educational show in question breaks into the public conciousness and pop culture in any meaningful way.

Lets also not forget that said educational show is likely bookended by advertisments geared towards children making any moral high ground dubious at best.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it absolutely does. let me know when the educational show in question breaks into the public conciousness and pop culture in any meaningful way.

Lets also not forget that said educational show is likely bookended by advertisments geared towards children making any moral high ground dubious at best.

I fail to see how pop culture relevance has anything to do with the ethical intent and purpose of the show? And as far as I can gather, this show is on Netflix, so there would be no ads.

I should maybe add that I grew up with and loved Transformers. It doesn't change the fact that it is a shallowly written and badly animated commercial when the nostalgia glasses comes off.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I was born in 86, I don't remember what I used to watch. We didn't have cable so I assume Sesame Street? My parents said I was glued to the NES since I was 3 so I was probably playing video games, perfecting my skills instead of watching mindless tv like you, op 💁🏻‍♂️

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with Biker Mice from Mars and Street Sharks.

Today's kids have Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Gumball etc. There's a renaissance of animation for children.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
My niece watches peppa pig and the production costs compared to what they are making drives me nuts. But I grew up on 80s and 90s cartoons.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Five pages and no mention of Cyberchase. That show had Gilbert Godfrey and Christopher Lloyd in it! It was fuckin awesome!

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
*Gets a salty omelette and burnt toast at a new diner*

"Ugh, restaurants have really gone down hill since yesterday"

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon(well at least the first series) is such a brain dead show, it has like 5-6 episodes that do more than to push the mercy of the week. Seriously I tried to rewatch that shit with my young siblings during Pokémon GO and would gladly take Teen Titans GO over that nonsense.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cartoons peaked in the 80s.

Don't come at me, fans of Nickelodeon. Your cartoons are ugly.
I grew up in the 80s, watching stuff like He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe and Transformers.

what the hell are you talking about

Those cartoons look like complete garbage. Stuff like Korra, Avatar and Gravity Falls are eons better looking and animated than that tripe. They're better in every single aspect, by several orders of magnitude.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
My sister is currently watching a cartoon for kids called Word Party. Look, I'm not expecting a deep philosophical message about how life is meaningless and nothing matters, but Jesus Chris I feel like I'm losing brainchells watching it. It feels like a never-ending stroke while being high on bleach.

There's no clear line of thought. The animation is so bad it feels like a fever dream, the topics they touch are so absurdly stupid that I'm surprised kids can enjoy this. The voice acting is horrible too, everyone talks as if they were drunk. What the fuck is this, seriously.

I thought it was stupid too, until my low speech autistic child was practicing words he heard on the show that he had never used in our house. Gotta get through the ultimate cringe of, "This is the worst thing I ever have seen!" and wait to see if it is really worthwhile.

To add, I hated Dinosaur Train to begin with (still do), but it get's my kiddo really interested in learning about dinosaurs. Caillou, I cant stand it, nor can my kiddo. Caillou's voice just kills me ears.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
What a dumb ass thread. Are you a teenager?

These shows are for fucking toddlers. Not "kids" as you put it. Word Party is a great show for very small children learning to speak.

And if you ever watched Peppa Pig you'd know that show is dope as fuck. As far as purely entertaining shows for pre-schoolers go, Peppa is fucking A1. It has some serious comedic timing.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
yo gabba gabba always weirded me out when my neices lived with us when they were young.

Them using smartphones/tablets/youtube so much is a bigger problem imo

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I was just glad when my kids finally got old enough that I didn't have to sit through the insipid kids shows they liked to watch. I remember when my oldest was around 4 she got angry when we tried to get her to watch something live action and she declared "We don't watch to watch your people movies."

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't really know because I've only watched Adventure Time and bit of Steven Universe but from watching clips from a bunch of different shows on Twitter, kids cartoons today look better than they've ever been. Well animated with a fuck ton of energy and creativity.

Edit: I just remembered Gravity Falls. Gravity Falls is a thousand times better than anything I watched as a kid.

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in my mid-30s and am digging the heck out of the new Ducktales. Not all kids content is trash.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it's a thing that's literally trying to teach kids some words for the first time

what did you expect, a complex multilayered story told over dozens of episodes?

it's for preschoolers

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
See, that's the thing. I don't like none of those shows but I can see why a kid likes them. Stuff like Peppa Pig and this show are so dumb I'm surprised kids don't despise them
Man Peppa Pig is hilarious she is always subtly talking shit about everyone around her. Also Ben and Holly which is pretty much by the same people is great too.

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about this recently, is there anything remotely like
Rocket_Power.jpg

these days?

that show really encouraged getting outside and doing 'cool' sports and activities.
same as
The_Jersey_Show_Logo.png

majority of kid shows today just seem like comedies.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
My nephew was watching one the other day that said it was okay to be a stalker and that women secretly like it. I was like WTF?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My kid recently started watching this. Granted, he's 2. You think the animation is bad? May you never be subjected to the horrors that is Little Baby Bums. It will give you nightmares.

Seems fine to me. It teaches some words and goes through opposites and tries to encourage a call and response at times. You know, a show for toddlers.

I certainly try to encourage more Curious George if we're giving in and watching tv. Lots of episodes and it's genuinely watchable.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
When I went to see Toy Story 4 there were at least five trailers for shitty-looking animated kids movies with terrible, lazy CG animation, fart and poop jokes, physical humor, and all kinds of other stupid low-brow crap for two-year-olds, and then a trailer for Frozen 2 which is gorgeously animated and looks great. Disney just operates on another level compared to these lowest common denominator animated films, knowing that it's possible to make something that is geared for kids while still featuring good animation, strong characters, and a message.

To be fair, Disney probably put 150-200 mil into Frozen and a shitton of effort. These others are on the level of Direct to streaming crap, and probably cost less than 20 mil and were cranked out on an assembly line.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I grew up watching cartoons like The Pink Panther, Tom and Jerry and the loony toons stuff. Most of which are no longer shown.

When my daughter was growing up we had Peppa Pig and Ben and Hollie pretty much on a on a constant loop. It drove my nuts!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I was spoiled by Saturday morning Disney quality as a kid. Loved the effort put into the animation. I see Cal Arts style everywhere and just scream. There will never be soulful style in the wake of "pump it out as fast as you can" workloads. I am sure storytelling and character can always be good regardless of style, but God I miss Stuff like Chip n Dale, Animaniacs, OG Duck Tales and the like.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
#NotAllShows ;-)

I do feel with the need to pump out shows faster and cheaper with every year there's a larger percentage of shows that just end up being the equivalent of jingling keys about.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
My sister is currently watching a cartoon for kids called Word Party. Look, I'm not expecting a deep philosophical message about how life is meaningless and nothing matters, but Jesus Chris I feel like I'm losing brainchells watching it. It feels like a never-ending stroke while being high on bleach.

There's no clear line of thought. The animation is so bad it feels like a fever dream, the topics they touch are so absurdly stupid that I'm surprised kids can enjoy this. The voice acting is horrible too, everyone talks as if they were drunk. What the fuck is this, seriously.
Word Party isn't really "animated". Its actors converted via mo-cap to animation. I'd.... there's much worse out there. WordParty teaches kids about sharing and emotions (and words). They get mad or jealous, and then learn to talk to each other about their feelings. Its for like 2-4 year old. Its fine. Its by the Jim Henson company. There's really not much for kids that age, probably because some people get super angry if they watch TV at all.

If you want to see awful kids content, watch basically anything on YouTube.