• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
people make mistakes all the time but sony refund policy is not the problem, if your not paying attention and buy the wrong thing than its on you and only you.
And that's why it's so important that there always be someone to ridicule you for it, how else will people learn?

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be so pissed if I accidentally bought Xenoverse 2 instead of FighterZ lmao.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
PSN policies are so inconsistent.

I once bought FIFA for my PS3 by error instead of PS4, and I'd no problem getting a refund. I wish they had clearer and defined rules.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people make mistakes all the time but sony refund policy is not the problem, if your not paying attention and buy the wrong thing than its on you and only you.
Actually it is the problem in this case. Other services and products have set a precedent where you can mistakenly make a shitty purchase and receive a refund regardless of the reason you did it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You can't blame Sony for this one. You bought the wrong game then started playing it, despite having plenty of opportunity to see your mistake. Does any console give refunds after a game has been downloaded and played?

Sony does slightly more than the bare minimum the law requires. I think in the EU/Aus that means refunds within 14 days of purchase or whenever the game launches (whichever date is later), provided you haven't downloaded it. In the US that means no refunds, period. As crappy as a "one-time only if never played" refund is, they don't even have to do that much, according to the law. They don't even have to refund the difference if you pre-order and pay in full, then the price drops before release! They did, at least one time, framed as them being nice, but it's not the policy.

I remember once asking Sony US for a refund for a game I had never downloaded or played so that I could then buy the GOTY whatever it was called version of the same game, and their response was that a refund wouldn't be possible because I had been playing the game. Which I hadn't, ever. Nor had it ever been downloaded. So I tried again with a different customer support person. No luck there either. Weeks later I tried to contact the Support for something and I got an error message which made it appear the site was having issues and I should try again. Long story short, that's how it looks when they ban you from Support, they make it look like the site is temporarily down. When I put in a fake name and PSN id, it loaded first time and the Support person confirmed the ban of unspecified time. Awesome. And no, I had not been rude to anyone nor was I informed that was happening.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Again, already said their policies are bad but go off sweetie xoxo
So? You still insulted OP and "anyone who does the same thing". Are you saying that it's okay to call OP "fucking dumb" (and double down on it!), because you made the incredible effort of agreeing that Sony's policies are bad? Wow.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry mate but clicking on the first thing you see and buying it is kind of on you regardless if it was a mistake.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Damn there's some shitty replies in this thread. Customers make mistakes and on PlayStation there is no good means to rectify them. I'm not really sure how it flies legally, here on the UK I always figured there was laws to protect against this stuff

Nov 3, 2017
So? You still insulted OP and "anyone who does the same thing". Are you saying that it's okay to call OP "fucking dumb" (and double down on it!), because you made the incredible effort of agreeing that Sony's policies are bad? Wow.

No I'm simply replying to your false accusations that I'm going to bat for Sony, I really don't care about how you feel at all you are irrelevant with your whining towards me please find another ant hill to die on

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So you're not familiar with other digital stores then.

Yeah. This thread will devolve into a Sony bashing session because of the way the OP has been incorrectly worded.

I've tried pointing out that all three of the consoles need a lot of work here and that it definitely is something needing to be discussed, but that was ignored.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No I'm simply replying to your false accusations that I'm going to bat for Sony, I really don't care about how you feel at all you are irrelevant with your whining towards me please find another ant hill to die on
Okay, so you're not saying that insulting OP is okay. Since you don't think insulting OP is okay... how about you stop insulting OP? I understand if you need your time to process this absolutely insane request.
Yes and the OP should still get a refund because it's a mistake and he should be able to get the game he wanted.
Okay, nice to know that you think that insulting people over a mistake that doesn't affect you in any shape or way is acceptable behaviour in an adult.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You're mad at them because you couldn't pay attention for a minute to make sure you were purchasing the correct product? Are you fucking dumb
How did you manage to post 27 hundred times without being banned? People like you are the reason why I'm considering leaving Era for good, I can't believe they only warned you after repeatedly insulting OP.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so you're not saying that insulting OP is okay. Since you don't think insulting OP is okay... how about you stop insulting OP? I understand if you need your time to process this absolutely insane request.

Okay, nice to know that you think that insulting people over a mistake that doesn't affect you in any shape or way is acceptable behaviour in an adult.
you getting bent out of shape over this is way more childish than anything else.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
you getting bent out of shape over this is way more childish than anything else.
8Z1wIc.png

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Xbox refund system is relatively painless
>Go to Microsoft account mainpage
>Go to game, click refund if it's within the window of refunding
>Refund

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
The only "system" I buy digital content on is Steam. Specifically because of these nasty companies and their overpriced games and shitty or nonexistent refund policies.

Sorry they took your money and won't give it back to you because you made a mistake. I did the same thing a few months ago when I wanted Star Wars Battlefront 2. I bought the first game by accident, couldn't refund.

Then, funnily enough, I bought battlefront 2 on Wednesday this week, played it for 14 minutes and didn't like it and got a refund. How? I used ORIGIN to buy it, on PC.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me bout it accidently bought the evil within 1 instead of 2 digital a while ago and had to send like 5 emails and the only reason i got a refund was is cuz i never started the game if i had launched or downloaded it even once no refund.

Reason for the refund was i already own 1 on disc so ye.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's a joke. My friend bought Tennis World Tour at launch to play online as the game was constantly advertised as having online multiplayer as well in the game description. Anyway, game releases with the online mode having a "coming soon" banner over it in the main menu which they never announced. Then later on they said it would be out in a few weeks or whatever. My friend contacted support, told them the description was incorrect and they sold him a product which wasn't as described and they still refused to do anything about it.

The game has to be a real trainwreck, like vanilla No Man's Sky. I still remember that, they opened the refund floodgate to everyone, without any limits, 10 hours played? Doesn't matter, because it was that bad, that broken and that false advertised that they had to do it and they did.
So, theoretically, they can when they want.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game has to be a real trainwreck, like vanilla No Man's Sky. I still remember that, they opened the refund floodgate to everyone, without any limits, 10 hours played? Doesn't matter, because it was that bad, that broken and that false advertised that they had to do it and they did.
I mean Tennis World Tour at launch was in a far worse state than No Man's Sky ever was, it probably still is. They pretty much lied outright lied about everything they marketed.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the things I love about the Xbox, refunds are super easy and can be done from just logging into your account from your phone, selecting the product, and clicking refund. Restrictions like must have played less than 2 hours in two weeks are part of it but it is what it is

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It makes me wonder if the refund policies were more lax before No Man's Sky, but there was never too much noise about people getting refunds, and then NMS caused Sony to be dicks from that point onwards about refunds because they lost too much money or something?

Deleted member 8777

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
>Refund

This and the rewards system makes digital living on console a tiny bit easier. Especially since digital versions of games still cost more than physical ones here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, their refund policy is straight up shitty. I'm 100% digital on PSN and I'll be the first person to agree that it needs to be changed and improved.

But I gotta say, how do you buy anything without at least looking at the name? lol.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Sony would choose not to change their refund policy and instead launch a series of test to confirm if the customer is under alcohol/drug influence.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Drunk purchases are a thing.
Taking responsibility for dumb decisions is a thing. You get so drunk you don't know what you're doing, you're asking for shit like this to happen.

That said, I do agree that Sony should change their refund policy. But I think the rule that you're not allowed to have used the game is fair enough. Is the same thing with a physical copy where I live.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the things I love about the Xbox, refunds are super easy and can be done from just logging into your account from your phone, selecting the product, and clicking refund. Restrictions like must have played less than 2 hours in two weeks are part of it but it is what it is

Microsoft pretty much adopted Steam's system, which is great. Nintendo, Sony, Epic, all suck.

Deleted member 8777

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taking responsibility for dumb decisions is a thing. You get so drunk you don't know what you're doing, you're asking for shit like this to happen.
Inputting the wrong set of characters into a gaming console as a layman hardly justifies this level of coal raking. It's not a tattoo, it's not shoving your penis into an animal carcass, it's a digital purchase. There is no justification for not being able to reimburse OP.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>Refund
It's definitely not like that for every purchase some show the refund but many haven't. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason on what has the button

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter if OP made a mistake, the refund policy shouldn't be so shitty, difficult or cumbersome. Mistakes can happen. Whilst I've only ever personally needed a refund once, which PlayStation UK costumer service granted me (had to phone in), they still need to get more flexible with this stuff going forward and make it easier for consumers. It's possible this stuff is more flexible in the UK or EU due to trading laws, but I'm not sure.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not like that for every purchase some show the refund but many haven't. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason on what has the button
The refund option wasn't there for Fallout 76 when I tried (oh yeah, I looked). There was a "refund eligibility" option for games that I played for quite a while.

I think the thing is if you buy a game as part of a bundle, even when the bundle is just the game like Fallout 76, you are unable to get a refund. That's just my guess though, I'm not sure.

NVC3YsH.jpg

vs
NVC3YsH.jpg

I think it might be a publisher thing too. I tried contacting MS support to get a refund something Destiny 2 related and they told me that they couldn't because Bungie or Activision wouldn't allow them. I guess it could've been just some CS agent who probably didn't know what they were talking about, but that is what they told me.

Anyone have success with getting refunds from Humble? I need to try and get a refund for EDF 4.1 on PC because the game is simply unplayable on my system (2500K GTX1080). It freezes for a second after every 2 seconds of smooth play.

edit: whoops, meant to post this pic and not the same screen twice, lol
2WBH2J4.jpg

Last edited: