• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
trash.png
full

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
personally thinking this is a top 5 Kanye album. We'll see where it ends up when all is said and done, but I definitely prefer it to Ye and I'd probably rather put on this over 808s or Grad, even though both of course are full of classic tracks. I just like how fluid and well paced this album is, whereas both of those have real down moments for me.

LOL

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
personally thinking this is a top 5 Kanye album. We'll see where it ends up when all is said and done, but I definitely prefer it to Ye and I'd probably rather put on this over 808s or Grad, even though both of course are full of classic tracks. I just like how fluid and well paced this album is, whereas both of those have real down moments for me.
JIK.. above.. Graduation and 808s..?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Street lights alone shits all over Ye recent output,

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
JIK.. above.. Graduation and 808s..?
yea they both have lows this album never reaches.... at least not before this recent "patch"

I guess the best way to say it is that I think this album is (or was) more than the sum of its parts. It may not hold anything spectacular but it all fits together to form an interesting and engaging listen. The brevity really helps.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
REALLY late to the party on this. Bought this joint a week ago. This album is pure fire. On first rotation, i was kind of caught off guard by the pure passion in this. Haven't heard this since Dropout. I guess it's not popular, but Closed on Sunday is easily my favorite track. Real talk, this album is a BANGER.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Holy shit lmao this post...
Let me see if I understand your response. My post is funny because I enjoyed the album and hadn't sensed this level of passion from him since his early stuff? That's what counts as open and inviting discourse now? And yes, If i had to say a song that resonates with me the most, and which I most love the production, it's Closed on Sunday. I like the video version even more with the choir. Why is that funny? And no, i'm not trolling or being funny.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Let me see if I understand your response. My post is funny because I enjoyed the album and hadn't sensed this level of passion from him since his early stuff? That's what counts as open and inviting discourse now? And yes, If i had to say a song that resonates with me the most, and which I most love the production, it's Closed on Sunday. I like the video version even more with the choir. Why is that funny? And no, i'm not trolling or being funny.

it is legit a piece of shit record and i question anyone that listens to this irredeemable shithead's music.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REALLY late to the party on this. Bought this joint a week ago. This album is pure fire. On first rotation, i was kind of caught off guard by the pure passion in this. Haven't heard this since Dropout. I guess it's not popular, but Closed on Sunday is easily my favorite track. Real talk, this album is a BANGER.
This has to be satire lmao
This album is hot garbage

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it is legit a piece of shit record and i question anyone that listens to this irredeemable shithead's music.

😕 Not much love in this comment.

I'm glad we can approach subjective material with the elegance of a hippo.

The album has a positive message and decent production. A couple bangers here and there.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
fitting, as the album deals with religious themes with the subtlety of a hippo

100% agree. I personally think it's better that way. Atleast for him.

You have alot of rappers that are super ambiguous with their christian themes, but somehow this guy is so overt with it.

I can atleast respect him for leaving it all on the table.

This album is the equivalent of "gospel rap".

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV

You have alot of rappers that are super ambiguous with their christian themes, but somehow this guy is so overt with it.

So the interesting thing about the reception to the album, at least amongst some in the Christian Rap Community, was how surprised they were by it. Some even expressed embarrassment, but not at Kanye but themselves. Apparently there's been this big thing in the community's push for secular acceptance to drop references of God and Jesus for the sake of not pushing away potential album sales. Kanye's blatant lack of concern for this, as well as what feels like a very earnest album, has been well-received. Mostly. As a Christian myself, I was caught off guard and put Kanye in the miss me category until I heard it. I don't agree with all of his politics and I'll never agree with Trump, but I find the album to be raw and powerful. Whether this is a permanent transformation or not is inconsequential. Whatever the outcome, as a fan of his music and music in general, he has been fighting this duality within himself since the first album.

Video 1: https://youtu.be/k6ZriHdHA6I
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DQE6Hr1FZmg

As for subtlety and deeper themes, Kanye's album falls directly into the Gospel rap "Praise and Worship" category. It's not like a Chance who is a Christian who is a rapper that brings his Christian ideas into his raps and his public persona. It's not like a LaCrae who talks about a wide range of topics with a Christian perspective. Those are different types of offerings and not lesser. People judging Jesus is king based on those qualifications would be very harsh but also misssing the point. Kanye's album is a straight up Praise and worship album. The point of those album is the equivalent of what you do in church before service. The songs aren't christian parables or songs of more depth to probe into. The purpose Is to unify, praise, and worship. That's it. It's in many ways cathartic. That's for both the audience and the Performer.

Praise and worship ultimately comes down to "God is Great, God is amazing, leave your burden at the door, you'll be changed, Jesus is the GOAT, be humbled, we all in this..." etc.

As for Closed on Sunday, all I can say is that I enjoy the lyrics, find the composition interesting with how in the latter part of the song the first word leads the verse similar to how I and Thou leads a verse in the Bible. I love how the choir comes in on the music video version of the song, and my daughter gets a kick out of hearing Kanye's daughter scream 'Chick-A-Fil' at the end of it. As a former professional in video production, I enjoy the simplicity of the imagery of the video (especially the use and lack of use of color), and I appreciate how personal his message Is within the lyrics. It's both a message to his kids and a statement to the outside world. The production is both hymn-like and bombastic, as is the case with the entire album. Like I said before, it's a very raw and experimental production overall, and the album feels better and more exciting for it - at least for me.

Also, Kanye is an interesting character to me. His ego is...beyond out of control. I just watched his interview with Apple Music and it's just extraordinary to see how highly this man thinks of himself. I tend to be a humble person, so this kind of braggadocio is a huge yuck for me. That said, despite the noise of the person (and absurdity), i can't deny the authenticity of the album. That's what attracts me to it.

Last edited:

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I'm glad with all the shit talking on this album there are still people that really enjoy it. Good for you man, music is a very powerful thing.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

It's hard not to view this album cynically because of Kanye's public behavior, endorsement of Donald Trump, and association with known religious grifters like Joel Osteen. I'd be happy to give the record a chance if I had any faith in Kanye's intentions

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
It's hard not to view this album cynically because of Kanye's public behavior, endorsement of Donald Trump, and association with known religious grifters like Joel Osteen. I'd be happy to give the record a chance if I had any faith in Kanye's intentions
You know...Kanye and his intentions are always going to be obscured by that insane ego. Whenever he starts talking it always feels like he's one step away from going into a rant about fashion and culture again. Even now. And I've NEVER liked Joel Olsteen, so yes, giving this album a chance was a huge thing for me.

But the album Is the real deal. It feels like a new Christian who is excited to get it all out. This time however, it's a creative thing by a christian with Kanye's creativity and resources. It's an amazing album in my mind. Kanye the man will always be problematic for me, but this album is not that. I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't left the rotation since i started listening to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Not to continue to talk badly about christian rap (or christian music in general) - especially since it's such an easy target - but those examples posted on this page are fucking awful

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know...Kanye and his intentions are always going to be obscured by that insane ego. Whenever he starts talking it always feels like he's one step away from going into a rant about fashion and culture again. Even now. And I've NEVER liked Joel Olsteen, so yes, giving this album a chance was a huge thing for me.

But the album Is the real deal. It feels like a new Christian who is excited to get it all out. This time however, it's a creative thing by a christian with Kanye's creativity and resources. It's an amazing album in my mind. Kanye the man will always be problematic for me, but this album is not that. I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't left the rotation since i started listening to it.

I absolutely can't stand any of Kanye's antics and he's probably the worst role model for anyone and anything, but I loved two and a half albums AFTER he had outed himself as an intellectually bereft narcissist and I can happily separate the man from the music.

The only negative effect his behavior has had on the music after the fact (for me u mean) is that it reveals some old lyrics I thought were ironic are actually just literal and he really thinks like that.

However after listening to JIK out of curiosity I gotta say it to does absolutely zero for me and is shockingly short for a "gospel" drop.

I think if you like Kanye and gospel and Jesus then this is probably fine but it has absolutely no meaningful connection to "normal" Kanye stuff apart from a lot of production.

It has however gotten me listening to a lot of VASTLY better modern and classic gospel - but those comparisons didn't do Kanye any favors.

Aretha's New compilation (Greats?) is unsurprisingly amazing but I also sort of liked Jonathan McReynolds[sp?] "Make Room" which demolishes JIK on every level for that genre although it's obviously very different.

And the inescapable fact that Ye sings OK for a rapper but really can't hold up against anybody in that genre.

Anyway point is I'm glad I got to listen to a genre I usually ignore but all it did was make JIK look worse. And I think it's dominating the gospel charts too. Which is a shame for grifty reasons as well as quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I absolutely can't stand any of Kanye's antics and he's probably the worst role model for anyone and anything, but I loved two and a half albums AFTER he had outed himself as an intellectually bereft narcissist and I can happily separate the man from the music.
You pretty much said it best here. This is how I largely feel about Kanye, but I enjoy the album a lot. Like you, though, it got me listening to a wide range of Gospel again, so at least there's that, too. Funny thing about Kanye is that he's never been that deep. He thinks he is. His fans think he's some sonic messiah. He's an amazing artist, and some days I wonder where Jay-Z would be without Just Blaze or Ye. He deserves that recognition on the hip hop pantheon.

But YE has always been hella shallow. His appeal, at least for me, is how transparent he is. He's the definition of a naked artist and his inspirations and tribulations come through in whatever he does. That's always been an attraction for me.

Last edited:

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the album comes off as fake when you consider that the person singing it endorses a criminal, potential war criminal and overall bad person.

A turd that has been polished to a shine and covered with gold is still a turd. There may be bangers, but they are just empty beats.

This man is trash because he really doesn't believe in what he's saying. He's just using it to sell albums.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So did anyone listen to Jesus is born by the Sunday Service Choir that dropped during christmas?

It's a "real" gospel record, and much more interesting than anything on Jesus is king.

It's very much a Sunday Service-record, and all the better for it.

Here's the version of "Father stretch my hands".

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I forget if I posted here, but I feel like this has the glimpses of a great gospel/Christian hip-hop album, but never gets there. Just felt half baked from both a hip-hop angle and a Christian angle (speaking as a Christian myself).

I feel like Kanye has a unique perspective to bring to this kind of music, but only sort of does that. Oh well.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the album comes off as fake when you consider that the person singing it endorses a criminal, potential war criminal and overall bad person.

A turd that has been polished to a shine and covered with gold is still a turd. There may be bangers, but they are just empty beats.

This man is trash because he really doesn't believe in what he's saying. He's just using it to sell albums.
Yeah this is how I'm feeling too. He's aligning himself with people like Trump and Joel so the message he's presenting here is just hollow.
There are many lines that irritate me in this album like
"Made a left when I should have made a right"
"Can't let my family starve, that's why I charge the prices I charge"
This just comes off as a grift to me. It's an album made by someone who doesn't give a shit about anything but his wealth.