• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has Spencer really done that great a job though? Xbox sales are still way behind the PS4, Japanese support is piss poor, third parties have stopped releasing exclusives for the platform and he has been cancelling most of Microsofts own exclusives and closing first-party studios. Hardware has improved and the xbox one S and X are steps in the right direction, but where are the games? The only major first-party games MS have had this year are Halo Wars 2 and Forza 7, great games but when you compare those to both Sony and Nintendo's first-party games and system exclusives its simply not enough.

Dont get me wrong the situation has improved over the last few years, but that is more down to how much of a disaster Don Mattrick and the xbox team were back then which would have improved no matter who had replaced them. Dont fuck things up worse than the last guy is hardly a major accomplishment when the last guy was Mattrick.

Spencer is just a better person. However, he doesn't own MS. Spencer works for MS new boss and they have clearly changed the vision of the future. Spencer can't do much about it.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft dug themselves out of one terrible hole only to jump into a new one. I'm glad they turned all that launch garbage around, but now the question is: 'where are the games?'

A bad console with few key software titles is just as dusty as a good console with few key software titles.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
can anyone find the "i'm the man" phil video? its been wiped from the internet and I searched hardcore. But Phil admits he was there doing when they decided what the OG xbox was going to be, but since he took over, theirs also a reason why he's VP now and Mattrick is gone. Also the lead designer opf XBO left shortly after mattrick, but that could mean anything, or something. "shrug"

you talking this?

"I see it sometimes on Twitter and other places, where people want to call me out as somebody who was at the leadership table when decisions were made for Xbox One, and that's absolutely true.

"I've never tried to wash my hands or distance myself from my role on the Xbox One leadership team through the announcement of the console, E3 2013 - I was there, and I'm not trying to create some kind of false history that makes me look better, to say I wasn't there, I wasn't involved. I'm going to take responsibility for those decisions, absolutely, good ones and bad ones. I have to, otherwise I don't have any credibility in what I do going forward.

"I wouldn't trust me if all of a sudden I tried to say 'well, I was asleep during those meetings'. It would be silly. I was there."

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/P...oing-Take-Responsibility-Decisions-67999.html

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b...10712096&hwt=651db587cac7349758b345418d3a690b

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the main trade off for the DRM stuff and I would have loved it. With how the race ended up, I feel like MS would have had the possibility of being in a better position with it.
You mean the thing they said wouldn't be there at launch and would "figure out later"? Yeah, sure, was totes happening.

At best you'd have a system like steam's family sharing. But 10 people? Yeah, that wasn't happening.
Also, "trade off"? I mean there is nothing they needed to trade off. If they were actually interested in doing it, they could have done it right now without the DRM.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that.. those were also the same years Sony finally catch up to MS in sales..

While MS was busy with Kinect and some hitters like Forza and the "lovely" Halo 4.

Sony was pumping Uncharted 3, Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls etc..
Actually, Kinect gave 360 a second wind whether any of us liked it or not. It made the console more appealing to the family audience and caused it to even surpass LTD Wii sales in both US and UK. The trouble is, Microsoft seemed to think Kinect was more than just a gimmicky casual gaming hook, and it totally wasn't. So force bundling it with the XBO a launch was crazy.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
You mean the thing they said wouldn't be there at launch and would "figure out later"? Yeah, sure, was totes happening.

At best you'd have a system like steam's family sharing. But 10 people? Yeah, that wasn't happening.
Also, "trade off"? I mean there is nothing they needed to trade off. If they were actually interested in doing it, they could have done it right now without the DRM.

It kinda already work and does today work like so on Windows, however. It's good stuff.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft dug themselves out of one terrible hole only to jump into a new one. I'm glad they turned all that launch garbage around, but now the question is: 'where are the games?'

A bad console with few key software titles is just as dusty as a good console with few key software titles.

I am having a pretty good time playing Wolfenstein on my X. There are plenty of games on the store. Is first party lacking? Sure but this narrative that there are "no games" is getting really old and starting to sound like console wars bait.

People who want to play Horizon, ect know to get a PlayStation, not some huge secret.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Kinect gave 360 a second wind whether any of us liked it or not. It made the console more appealing to the family audience and caused it to even surpass LTD Wii sales in both US and UK. The trouble is, Microsoft seemed to think Kinect was more than just a gimmicky casual gaming hook, and it totally wasn't. So force bundling it with the XBO a launch was crazy.

Yea, that also makes sense

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
It's nice that MS has a friendly face but I bought a lot more XBox games that started development when Mattrick was around.
This.

Phil Spencer so far talked big what he wants to do for years without much behind it. Closing studios and just playing the good guy isnt something to believe in so far.

Also fun fact. The XBone X was already a thing they decided to work on when Don Mattrick still was there before the OG XBone even launched.

Don Mattrick maybe used stupid words in 2013 but it was a lot better games wise back then and he opened and not closed studios.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Three years ago if someone asked me whether there was any purpose to the Xbox brand existing, I would have said absolutely not but now, I think their cross play/Cross platforms efforts, backwards compatibility, policies and bringing out an incredibly powerful console makes them a viable competitor actually bringing something to the table. They certainly still lack in the one thing I value most which is new gaming experiences and I'm still not quite fully convinced by their software effort plans for the future as we've seen greater cancellation of announced games under Ms and they've progressively gotten far less announcements as well but they've improved a lot in other areas targeting specific audience of hardcore Multiplatform gamers which I think justifies their existence.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am having a pretty good time playing Wolfenstein on my X. There are plenty of games on the store. Is first party lacking? Sure but this narrative that there are "no games" is getting really old and starting to sound like console wars bait.

People who want to play Horizon, ect know to get a PlayStation, not some huge secret.
Well, X has now become my system for third party games, which is obviously most of my gaming. So now my PS4 Pro becomes like my Switch - a console for first party and exclusives.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda cool Larry Hryb is still there doing his thing.

So many executives come and go and the direction of Xbox has been all over the place the last decade but he has always been the guy giving you that pitch.

Cool bit of continuity they have there.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Though I suppose the actual intent was, "look at how far they've come!" I'm sure we all expected mostly replies about how they're still not good.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
In terms of updates and features OS and console wise they have been really on the ball and delivering on that front.
On their lineup not so much, regardless though its quite the turnaround they have had from the always online disaster box.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Bm_Vg3ECcAAH8-9.png

This picture really hasn't aged well, has it? Lol

Don't get me wrong. Spencer is still better than Mattrick, but.......

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I still don't appreciate the way Spencer has handled exclusives and partnerships. Maybe I'm slightly salty of what became of Scalebound. It was a Kamiya game for goodness sake, just look at his track record!

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Though I suppose the actual intent was, "look at how far they've come!" I'm sure we all expected mostly replies about how they're still not good.
They really still aren't good. They pivoted their message from a complete shit show, to only serving the really diehard Xbox fans and otherwise not doing a whole lot to compete with Sony. But the problems go so much further than just the stuff Mattrick did. First party is a mess in both quality and quantity, riddled with Microtransations and not having a title in years that was Goty worthy. Japanese third party support is non existent, and indies are still more likely to consider Ps4 (and now Switch) over Xbox. As much as I like it, having all their games on PC has only devalued the Xbox hardware even more.

Xbox One X, Backwards compatibility, and the things we'd consider wins for Microsoft have only really appealed to the core fanbase that's already invested in the platform. I respect what they've done, but they haven't made bold moves to really take the generation back.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I wouldn't say the Xbox brand is doing very hot nowadays. Even after correcting many things.

I would say this is a big ship and it takes a long time to correct the course. Its certainly not over but you have to give credit to the progress. We are now pointing in the right direction at least. We just need some new top tier MS games, but I dont see them ever touching Sony or Nintendo is this regard.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Am I alone in wishing that Microsoft never caved to the fans and completed their always-connected vision for the original XBONE?

Would have been nice to have two consoles that attempted to do things differently instead of being clones of each other.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Since when was Spencer the Xboss? I expect the games he greenlight to come out in like 3-4 years after he took over.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I thought this was going to be the Angry Joe interview. Yeah, 2013 was a really bad year for MS, as well as 2014. I hope they turn things around in the next generation, I believe it is a tad too late for them to do so this gen.
Edit: Also, to be fair, he was in a really tough position and was basically working with a very unpopular product at the time.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's funny how much he reiteratted "flexible flexible flexible." The Xbox One of E3 2013 is perhaps the most inflexible console ever conceived.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The "no games" obviously refers to first-party, so I don't see how that's bait. The perception that's spreading is a big deal.

I mean in that last sentence you just said, "There's a console for people who want great 1st party games, it's called the Playstation." And then gamers say, "Ok."

That's a problem.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't appreciate the way Spencer has handled exclusives and partnerships. Maybe I'm slightly salty of what became of Scalebound. It was a Kamiya game for goodness sake, just look at his track record!

There are people out there who still absolve kamiya of having as big a hand in that failing than Microsoft?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Mattrick years
ah, good memories lmao

don-mattrick.jpg

ah, good memories, lmao

even in the midst of all this bullshit, you still have droves of people defending microsoft,

remember the "family sharing" that people thought would allow you to buy a game digitally and share it with 10 of your friends? lmfao

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
which is exactly why you cant forgive them, let all the other corporations see what happens when you try and fuck your consumers

if you dont want to be screwed in the future, make the consequences of maliciousness significant
If I lived my life that way I wouldn't own a PS4 or a Switch. If MS manages to turn shit around at the end of this gen, I'll consider them at the start of the next one. Brand loyalty is dumb and only benefits the brand holder.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Love how Xbox is doing nowadays though. They got a bright future and cant wait till I get my X. First I gotta get the switch just for odyssey.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
which is exactly why you cant give them a 2nd chance, let all the other corporations see what happens when you try and fuck your consumers

Corporations are huge. And corporate leaders change. Bad decisions can be reverse and issues get resolved and people responsible leave.

You realize if you honestly believe this you shouldn't own any product. That computer, phone and tablet. That game console you like. That water you're drinking right now.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. I got a switch over an xbox and i have like 4 games on it and ill have 20 or so at best by its life's end if i know myself. Theyre still screwing up somewhere that matters if im not even considering an x despite knowing how well made it is.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Corporations are huge. And corporate leaders change. Bad decisions can be reverse and issues get resolved and people responsible leave.

You realize if you honestly believe this you shouldn't own any product. That computer, phone and tablet. That game console you like. That water you're drinking right now.

what i meant to say, and i edited, was that i wouldn't forgive,

and not forgiving doesn't mean never buying anything from a company again, i personally still buy things, but at huge discounts, etc.

i think i spoke to soon with what i initially said, which is why i immediately edited the shit out of it, i didn't like what i had typed the moment i hit save

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what does that have to do with what i said?
It was the opposite of the part of my post that you conveniently cut out. The point being that hating a faceless corporation is as stupid as loving a faceless corporation. Especially when that corporation changes people and directions constantly, for the better or worse. Enjoy never buying anything though. Or go ahead and list all the companies that have never done anything wrong and we can all start buying from them.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I alone in wishing that Microsoft never caved to the fans and completed their always-connected vision for the original XBONE?

Would have been nice to have two consoles that attempted to do things differently instead of being clones of each other.

Don't worry with all these publishers chasing that GaaS/loot box model you'll get the always online future you wanted sooner rather than later.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God Phil came in and replaced all the innovation MS was attempting to push through and replaced it with...nothing.