• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No I think you are using a legitimate issue in the industry of harrasment to try and further your own point. All you know is that Matrick was head of Xbox under the Xbox one development. The division had to follow his lead. He was forced out of the company and was replaced by Phil who apparently is making the division money and just got a promotion. The brand has been much better for it and has gained some good will among gamers. A far cry from 2013.

Well then you're just being unnecessarily cynical.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Didnt thought i would need to explain it out better. Apart from Dragon Quest which other game you mentioned hit another console? And save for nier, nioh and tales, which other games even hit other platforms? It doesnt take that much to realize there's something else at work here. Persona is not called an exclusive yet the main series only hit Sony consoles despite sidegames going to nintendo and even xbox - there's clearly something else behind the curtains.

So by your estimation fully half of the games I mentioned are on other platforms, *none* of them Xbox, and that's okay?

MS sure knew how to get third party "Sony" games like RE, DMC, GTA, FF13 on the 360. Even if you seem to think Sony is secretly paying everyone off now, which has no evidence, MS could do the same thing.

But they don't. They just release 2 games and buy exclusivity to 2 indie games (one shit) and call it a year. Then they want me to spend $500 to play better versions of western loot box grinds and nothing else.

They need to get back in the race here. If they think they can coast on better versions of third party games then that MIGHT work, but they need to actually GET the third party games!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No I think you are using a legitimate issue in the industry of harrasment to try and further your own point. All you know is that Matrick was head of Xbox under the Xbox one development. The division had to follow his lead. He was forced out of the company and was replaced by Phil who apparently is making the division money and just got a promotion. The brand has been much better for it and has gained some good will among gamers. A far cry from 2013.

From the front page alone:

This fool killed the xbox. And then he went and promptly killed the highest earning company that year. Trash executive.

Yep. What an awful person. He tried shoving shit people didn't want down their throats and belittled them for having a problem with it. How quickly MS turned it around after he was out of the picture.

If you can't see the toxic sentiments in these quotes then I don't know what to tell you.

Listonosh

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn! This was painful to re-watch after so many years. I remember this shitstorm causing me to switch to Sony. With that said, I still ended up buying an Xbox One after they completely did the 180, but man oh man, they fucked up so hard with this messaging.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they don't. They just release 2 games and buy exclusivity to 2 indie games (one shit) and call it a year. Then they want me to spend $500 to play better versions of western loot box grinds and nothing else.

I completely agree with your sentiment but from Microsoft's perspective and position it makes very little sense to try to court eastern companies to develop for their platform when they barely have a platform in eastern countries. It didn't work for the 360 which was their most successful console and it won't work for the Xbox One. In my opinion they need to acquire more first-party studios and double down on acquire or securing more exclusive western games for their platform. That was the key to their success with the 360 and they're failing at even that.

Without their exclusives and without as great support from western companies as Sony is receiving the reasons for picking Microsoft's platforms over Sony's are very few and if, like me, you have little or no interest in Forza and Halo... what reasons are there at all?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think it's fair to say that Microsoft made some major missteps with the Xbox One. I mean, I think that's putting it mildly. I remember my phone blowing up when they reversed decision on the physical disks get tied to one account thing and being so shocked that I drove and browsed the old forum for like the only time ever. So, that's how big a deal it was.

But I wouldn't pin the fuck ups or the turnaround all on one person. I can't imagine anything at Microsoft happening because one person is running a division, or what have you. It's easy to line up the turn around with Mattrick leaving, but it's probably more coincidence than anything else. There was a massive and sustained backlash to the direction they tried to take the Xbox One in. I'm sure that more than anything else accounts for the turn around. I don't think we need to make this about individuals really.

It's still really fun going back and looking at how out of touch they were, compared to what they're doing now.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That fucking hat!

Those were dark days but I'm glad I stuck with the platform. MS have been smashing it (mostly) to recover. Phil Spencer is the man.

They still have terrible PR talks though (Loftis being one of the recent frustrations).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fair to say that Microsoft made some major missteps with the Xbox One. I mean, I think that's putting it mildly. I remember my phone blowing up when they reversed decision on the physical disks get tied to one account thing and being so shocked that I drove and browsed the old forum for like the only time ever. So, that's how big a deal it was.

But I wouldn't pin the fuck ups or the turnaround all on one person. I can't imagine anything at Microsoft happening because one person is running a division, or what have you. It's easy to line up the turn around with Mattrick leaving, but it's probably more coincidence than anything else. There was a massive and sustained backlash to the direction they tried to take the Xbox One in. I'm sure that more than anything else accounts for the turn around. I don't think we need to make this about individuals really.

It's still really fun going back and looking at how out of touch they were, compared to what they're doing now.

Having leadership capable of reacting to that level of feedback while it still mattered is something worth giving a nod from that period. I think in general, bigger companies need a sort of stoic outlook that doesn't respond to every little "breeze," but just as often, it conditions a stubbornness that can cause potentially existential issues when they really are off-target. Even though they're in a decent place, we're still observing the extent to which they come back from that launch.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The thing that always got me was how proud MS were of the HDMI passthrough. Did they really think there were people desperate to use it as their entertainment hub and have game notifications whilst watching a film with their partners? I never got why they thought that was a good idea. Also the tiny percentage of people it might appeal to were turned off by the fact it applied some image processing to the feed and basically screwed up their TV viewing. Even if it hadn't who wants to watch all their TV in their TV's "game mode"?

Such a bizarro idea.

Watched the original interview linked here, its so clear how MN really doesn't believe in what he's being asked to sell. He looks pretty distraught.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
They've come a looong way for sure, I just wish they'd invest even 1/4 of the money into software that Sony and Nintendo do.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
The thing that always got me was how proud MS were of the HDMI passthrough. Did they really think there were people desperate to use it as their entertainment hub and have game notifications whilst watching a film with their partners? I never got why they thought that was a good idea. Also the tiny percentage of people it might appeal to were turned off by the fact it applied some image processing to the feed and basically screwed up their TV viewing. Even if it hadn't who wants to watch all their TV in their TV's "game mode"?

Such a bizarro idea.

Watched the original interview linked here, its so clear how MN really doesn't believe in what he's being asked to sell. He looks pretty distraught.

Other internal MS divisions crammed everything they could in the box after the relative success of the 360. They didn't give a shit if gamers were asking for it, they just wanted to get them into the "ecosystem"

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't get this. If Xbox One had no third party support, sure. But it does, and with X it now has the superior version of those titles. So unless you have some kind of strange boycott in place against all third party games, this isn't the case at all. Yes, Microsoft needs to invest massively in their first party lineup, but it's simply not true to say the Xbox One doesn't have any games.

The PS4 survived mainly on having the best 3rd party versions of games its first 3 years. Even Sony admitted their lineup was sparse.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That certainly is your opinion. I see a executive who always makes himself available in interviews, doesn't skirt the questions, and is as honest as he can be. And always makes himself available on Twitter as the whole Xbox team. Sure at times they'll stick their foot in their mouth or whatever, but at least they put themselves out there.

Yep certainly better tham the ivory tower crap Sony execs pull. How often do they interact with actual end users?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Definite improvement from the 2013 days, but still a far cry from Sony's turn-around/comeback with the PS3 after its rough 2006/2007.
What MS doesn't having going for it is the worldwide market like Sony. Not sure where they go from here. More first-party studios/exclusives would be a good start; not so-much for the One brand, but to start building a foundation for their next gen system.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Such a bizarro idea.

I still use it and I'm going to be really pissed when they remove it next gen which I expect them to do.

I have my tv calibrated for tv movies and gaming with latenecy I don't notice on a single input. So I like and have used the one input concept every day since Nov 2013.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 survived mainly on having the best 3rd party versions of games its first 3 years. Even Sony admitted their lineup was sparse.
I got a PS4 at launch and skipped OG XBO for precisely this reason (same reason I now own an X).

But the lineup was really shit until Bloodborne hit, full of remasters and cross-gen games. It was no surprise PS4 was outselling XBO, but it was a massive surprise PS4 was selling like gangbusters despite the sparse lineup. Even their first party games weren't quite hitting the mark at that point, The Order 1886 comes to mind.

Of course now PS4 has mustered up one of the best game libraries of all time (mostly thanks to Q1 of 2017), although it's still lacking in 95+ Metacritic games, of which the Switch already has two.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still use it and I'm going to be really pissed when they remove it next gen which I expect them to do.

I have my tv calibrated for tv movies and gaming with latenecy I don't notice on a single input. So I like and have used the one input concept every day since Nov 2013.

Not being funny or anything, I'm just interested in why? I cannot imagine doing that. Just interested in what advantage it gave you in real terms.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not being funny or anything, I'm just interested in why? I cannot imagine doing that. Just interested in what advantage it gave you in real terms.

Why? Cause I got everything working on a single input. Why wouldnt I?

I turn Xbox on and can game, watch tv, watch plex, watch uhd discs, netflix, amazon etc through a single interconnected input and source device. Much easier and faster going from gaming to other media sources through the xbox one. Im not experiencing any noticeable lag or issues so why wouldn't I?

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Cause I got everything working on a single input. Why wouldnt I?

I turn Xbox on and can game, watch tv, watch plex, watch uhd discs, netflix, amazon etc through a single interconnected input and source device. Much easier and faster going from gaming to other media sources through the xbox one. Im not experiencing any noticeable lag or issues so why wouldn't I?
I haven't set it up on my X because it doesn't pass through 24p content (and seems like unnecessary hassle given I've got an AV receiver and Harmony hub etc), but I've got two friends who have all their TV passing through their Xboxes. So you're not alone. The fact they included it in the S and X means that the passthrough must get used, MS will have easy access to those metrics.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Man, he seemed like a real sleeze ball in both OP's interview and the Angry Joe interview. Looked like he was out of it, was barely listening and made stuff up on the spot while yelling about dem exclusives and it being the future.

OP
OP
MrMatt555

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, he seemed like a real sleeze ball in both OP's interview and the Angry Joe interview. Looked like he was out of it, was barely listening and made stuff up on the spot while yelling about dem exclusives and it being the future.
That's what happens when your business keeps giving vague answers

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
People praise Phil Spencer and he has done some good and genuinely serms like a good honest guy but now the Cbix gets nearly no single player games anymore and I feel like the Halo franchise has been run into the ground at this point.

Once upon a time the Xbox was my favorite platform but I have not touch my Xbox One S since launch and likely won't get an X unless some good core single player games get announced. Phil seems to think everyone only plays online games. I don't play them at all. The Xbox One never felt like a gaming console for me.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
GamePass and continous improvements to the Live service. Whats the issue with splitting sku?

Even though the software isnt as wide and diverse as Nintendos/Sonys it doesnt mean it there arent any coming at all.
Hopefully we'll see some new titles this next E3.

Wide and diverse? How about just quality? Gears 4, Forza, Halo seem to be the only ones outside a few like ORi that have good quality. Sony has both from first party, to third party, same with Nintendo.

MS has tried and failed horribly with creating or green lighting new IP's. Now they think GAAS is only where their games can survive. And now that has soured a good amount of titles with that shit. Sony isn't exempt since their games have some of that shit too. But I will say the quality of the overall diverse package of Sony and NIntendo trumps anything MS has right now and no BC, Game Pass and live updates fix that.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People praise Phil Spencer and he has done some good and genuinely serms like a good honest guy but now the Cbix gets nearly no single player games anymore and I feel like the Halo franchise has been run into the ground at this point.

Once upon a time the Xbox was my favorite platform but I have not touch my Xbox One S since launch and likely won't get an X unless some good core single player games get announced. Phil seems to think everyone only plays online games. I don't play them at all. The Xbox One never felt like a gaming console for me.

Single player games? I'm currently playing ACO and Wolfenstein 2. They are both great, and run best on the X. Not really sure you mean single player, think you mean single player exclusive. But even then MS have had Sunset Overdrive earlier in the gen, and have crackdown 3 next year.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Single player games? I'm currently playing ACO and Wolfenstein 2. They are both great, and run best on the X. Not really sure you mean single player, think you mean single player exclusive. But even then MS have had Sunset Overdrive earlier in the gen, and have crackdown 3 next year.

I meant exclusives and the pickins are slim unfortunately. I bought an S for the Halo franchise and would have grabbed the X but I barely ever used the S.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If a CEO can make the XBox brand even a marginal success in Japan, that would impress me more than any CEO of any company in the history of civilization

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I meant exclusives and the pickins are slim unfortunately. I bought an S for the Halo franchise and would have grabbed the X but I barely ever used the S.

See what I don't get is why they have to be exclusives? There are a LOT of games to play, too many for someone like me. Whilst it would definitely be nice for MS to produce some more games, I don't get someone interested in the X only upgrading for exclusives? Like the majority of games aren't exclusive and will run best on the X. That is its USP, surely?

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
If a CEO can make the XBox brand even a marginal success in Japan, that would impress me more than any CEO of any company in the history of civilization
That's a tall order for ANY person on planet Earth :)

whats-an-xbox.gif