• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
From jeuxvideo.com via Google Translate (+ some edits for clarity)

Preview: Shenmue III: a playable demo that makes you fear the worst - E3 2019

It's been four years since fans counted days waiting for their polygon Messiah. Ever since ithit the mark at E3 2015, stuck between a trailer of The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy VII Remake , Shenmue III has fueled as much controversy as it has hopes - which we will probably and regrettably tone down.

Preview conditions

We were able to discover Shenmue III during a "behind-closed doors" meeting at the Deep Silver booth. The demo of Shenmue III was very short: 15 minutes in all and for all, with a timer and unable to play longer since the game was automatically blocked once the timer ran out. We played with Yu Suzuki, the game director and creator of Shenmue, with whom we could discuss a quarter of an hour after the game session. The demo was running on PC.

Hard not to feel a slight excitement when entering the box where we expect Yu Suzuki and his latest demo of Shenmue III. The man and his creations have marked the history of video games in a sustainable way and even today, many titles demonstrate the influence of Shenmue. From GTA to Assassin's Creed or Yakuza , everyone owes a little something to this forerunner of open-world, as we see it today. Suzuki knows it, as he tells us during the presentation: Shenmue is a heavyweight video game, many renowned developers have already told him how much his work inspired them (starting with those of Rockstar, he told us), and the players' expectations are enormous. Suzuki, however, is aware that in 2019, Shenmue will not be able to revolutionize video games as it did in the past. The director simply wants to " tell the rest of the story started in 1999. " Suzuki does not set the bar too high and it is to his credit. On the other hand, nothing prepared us for that we would see, not even the different Shenmue III trailers, which now seem all the more attractive to us.

A technique from another time

1549540061-7402-artwork.jpeg

The images and trailers shown in recent years unfortunately do not reflect the sad truth.

It only took us a few seconds to understand the magnitude of the disaster. After a quick oral presentation to present the three objectives of this demo (the exploration of a small Chinese village, the discovery of several mini-games and the combat system), we were able to seize the controller and press Start . "And that's when the tragedy starts " as one would say: the demo begins with a short conversation between Ryo and Shenhua, which sets the scene. Extremely badly dubbed (in English ...), Ryo and Shenhua seem botto lack emotion, in their voices as well as in their animations. Ryo, stiff as a picket, painfully looks around him and the only thing that seems to move on his face are his eyes. Shenhua is doing better but she leavesus quickly: the two friends must find "the man with the scar". The camera moves behind Ryo and the player finally takes control, to discover a setpiece that is quite successful on the artistic level, but completely out of time technically. The whole thing is blurry and flickering; in many ways, the recent remasters of Shenmue I and II are more impressive. This is due to the ridiculous display distance and the resolution of the game, which seems to struggle to reach the bar of 720p. Which raises an eyebrow or two since the last trailers, or even the one posted online for E3, let us hope for something better.

1519600916-9700-capture-d-ecran.jpg

We've talked a lot about it, but Ryo's facial expressions have not really changed since.

If the game is ugly, it's also due to the lack of life of the various characters. The animations, as basic as they go, do not honor the character of Ryo. He who was once so elegant, so charismatic, is only a shadow of himself. Postmortem rigidity, empty and inexpressive gaze, the hero of a whole generation is hard to see. He's not just inexpressive: he's just not alive. In any case, the demo never gave us the impression that this 3D model, relatively poorly animated by the way, was a living creature, a thinking being capable of feeling emotions. This reunion with Ryo was therefore quite nerve-wracking; it was a bit like seeing, 40 years later, a movie star you idolized when you were young. Hesitant speech, tremors, wheelchair ... Enough to damage a legend we once thought immortal. It's more or less what we felt when we discovered Ryo, 18 years after Shenmue II.

A base system still too limited

1551962764-3686-capture-d-ecran.jpg

The minigames, at least, are successful. But that won't be enough ...

Some will argue that the style won't matter as long as the substance is there. Which would be a mistake, since the style here is light years away from what is acceptable. But the real problem is that the short overview we had of the substance isn't really much more reassuring. The few mini-games we tried were quite amusing, but the exploration and dialogue phases are completely ruined by the catastrophic animations of Ryo and a good part of the NPCs, as well as their dubbing. We came out of this presentation hoping that these were just simple place-holders, saved quickly for the needs of the international press. One last thing is the fights, which we could test for a moment and which did not convince us. On one hand because even if the animations in combat are better han the ones we had seen so far, they are still too mechanical to convince anyone in 2019. It's a shame since the combat system has some good ideas: the four ABXY keys are used to throw punches and kicks and some attack sequences can trigger small QTEs, which require to enter as quickly as possible the commands shown on screen to trigger special hits. Unfortunately, the special moves in question really lack panache and we miss a little the Shenmue II fights, which multiplied original QTEs to animate each fight in the manner of a Jackie Chan movie. The system here is less linear, but also less less cinematic, less fun. These gameplay choice swill certainly make the fans react: it's possible that some people appreciate the "Virtua Fighter lite" side of the experience, while others will regret the craziness of previous episodes. We cross our fingers, hoping we only saw once facet of the fighting system, gameplay type among a plethora of others. But all that we saw from Shenmue III so far does not invite optimism.

Our impressions

As it stands, Shenmue III is more like a student project put together with Unreal Engine 4 than a real video game expected to be release at this end of the year. There's still so much to do technically that we doubt Shenmue III can save the day by the time it gets released in November 2019. And we're necessarily very worried for the game: at this stage of the development, we didn't expect Shenmue III to still look like a prototype.

Rating: Alarming

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game feels like it's basically only for hardcore fans of the first two ones that want to see the story's conclusion.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The only opinion I need on Shenmue 3 is from EZA's Huber and he liked it except for a few worries about the combat.
Frankly, f... off comparing this game to 2019 AAA titles, that's not the point.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
"As it stands, Shenmue III is more like a student project put together with Unreal Engine 4 than a real video game expected to be release at this end of the year."

giphy.gif

Not surprising tbh. Gameplay looked clunky from the most recent B-roll, highly doubt that they can polish it up in couple of months.

Fans will still play it, no matter what.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is similar to how I, non-Shenmue fan feel looking from outside.
But a lot of the fans seems to be happy and considering this is a very important project for the fans, I guess it's not a bad thing. But I do fear the rest of the general public will bash this game hard...

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Always seemed that way. It was always awkward to see people say there should be no concerns.
It all began during that supposedly "legendary" 2015 E3.

Oct 27, 2017
This game feels like it's basically only for hardcore fans of the first two ones that want to see the story's conclusion.

The creator commented that this will only reach like 40% of the conclusion to the story, so he's banking on another game.

Personally this series isn't for me, find it janky as all get out so you probably had to be there when it first released, but I'm hoping this delivers for the fans that want it. This isn't promising though and I can't say it's too shocking to hear.

The only opinion I need on Shenmue 3 is from EZA's Huber and he liked it except for a few worries about the combat.
Frankly, f... off comparing this game to 2019 AAA titles, that's not the point.

They didn't do that though.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

That's exactly it. I've played Shenmue III and I truly feels like a Shenmue game. But it's graphics and animations are very dated. That being said, I'm friends with the person who wrote jeuxvideo.com's article but I don't agree with everything he wrote. The game will get torn apart by reviewers who don't know/like Shenmue.

Jun 12, 2018
Im not the biggest shenmue fan. Haven't even purchased the HD remasters, but it's clear the op made this thread with an agenda. I've just read up impressions from other sites

IGN
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06...-a-video-game-than-its-predecessors-a-e3-2019

RockPapershotgun

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/13/shenmue-3-preview-e3-2019-turtle-racing/

PSU

https://www.psu.com/news/opinion-shenmue-3-looks-dated-and-at-e3-2019-thats-a-good-thing-heres-why/

Trustedreviews

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shenmue-3

Easy allies etc.

There's mixed impressions for you all to read.

Its shocking the op took an impression, translated it and posted it in a bias manner to portray a negative image of the game. We're better than this ppl. Read all the Impressions and then make your mind up

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprised. I've always felt the trailers were off in regards to the 3D models/animation.

Oct 25, 2017
When your remasters of 20 year old games are both better presented and more technically impressive, that's a bit horrifying.

Nov 11, 2017
This shouldn't surprise anyone. But I am still excited for the hardcore fans. Hopefully they will look past it and be able to sink into the world and story.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at this as a non-fan, it's hard to tell the difference between Shenmue III and the original titles. The animation and character models seriously does look like a high school project.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
People expecting a AAA 2019 game out of Shemnue III are gonna be disappointed. But on the other hand, why on earth wold you even expect that out of a low-ish budget game to begin with? It was always stated to simply continue the stpry of Shenmue, from the footage I've seen it looks and feels just like the Shenmue of old. If you know how those play, you know how III plays. If you weren't already a fan, III will do nothing for you. Thankfully I'm fully on board wit it, I think it looks like everything fans could and should have hoped for.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a Shenmue 3 backer, and in general a Shenmue skeptic. I am not a megafan of the series.

I don't think we were ever promised anything more than a continuation of the story from the first two games. I wasn't expecting the franchise to be brought up to the standards of modern AAA development, animation, story, or voice acting. All I really wanted was a new game in the style of the old games. And for better or for worse, they seem to be delivering on that front.

He who was once so elegant, so charismatic, is only a shadow of himself. Postmortem rigidity, empty and inexpressive gaze, the hero of a whole generation is hard to see. He's not just inexpressive: he's just not alive.

Yeah, I'm sorry but Ryo was never elegant or charismatic. He was always a tiresome robot of a character. Shenmue's appeal has always been very limited so to characterize him as "the hero of a whole generation" is stupid and deceptive.

Personally, I'm glad that the voice acting and animation is as rudimentary and stilted as it ever was. It's a part of the whole game's style. Expecting them to deliver Rockstar-quality cinematic cutscenes and animations is ridiculous, given the project's limited budget.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It never looked like a modern game, it always looked stiff and clunky. People should set their expectations extremely low, don't expect something beyond a Dreamcast game in terms of ambition and you might be satisfied. It's probably going to struggle to reach the level of something like Deadly Premonition.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Those old games are very cool in many ways but Ryo was certainly not "charismactic". He was awkward in often amusing ways like asking random pedestrians if they knew about a mafia deal and reacting with "I see..." to flirty girls.

I still hope this game has enough of the old games' qualities, with the variety of set pieces, cute details and hidden lives of the NPCs.

Dec 7, 2017
I think everyone knew this game would not have been an AAA game technically. It was impossible. We just wanted to feel that atmosphere again and continue with Ryo's story. This guy instead, only cares about graphics and animations. This is a game for the Shenmue long time fans, and it's beautiful

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has never looked good, but that sounds even worse than expected. It doesn't even compare favorably to 1 and 2? Yikes. They really should not release it in this state (and I doubt they can fix all of that in a few months).

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I don't think you can deny the animations are just off, like way off
The fact that it's that way in trailers makes one worry about the actual game

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Its shenmue. Shenmue is more than the sum of its trash.

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It has always looked bad when compared to the original Shenmue games on every front but technical.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
He who was once so elegant, so charismatic, is only a shadow of himself. Postmortem rigidity, empty and inexpressive gaze, the hero of a whole generation is hard to see. He's not just inexpressive: he's just not alive.

Yeah, I'm sorry but Ryo was never elegant or charismatic. He was always a tiresome robot of a character. Shenmue's appeal has always been very limited so to characterize him as "the hero of a whole generation" is stupid and deceptive.

Back at launch this was the case though. Ryo was very much more alive than other game characters of that time.