• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Jews are widely despised, even relative to (most) other oppressed groups. Antisemitism is literally thousands of years old, making it arguably the oldest variant of racism in the world.

Huh, didn't know Jews are older than Black people.

Are there any examples of Jewish characters in gaming that I may have missed?

The Shivah.

2240237-szejmc.png

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree. Being a Jew, it kind of bs that were not treated as "real" minorities. It was nice seeing Zussman in WWII and BJ this year, but still Id love to see more. How many diverse Overwatch characters do we have yet not a single Jew?

I don't know why publishers won't get on board with a Jewish protagonist. It's ludacris.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
There are jewish people in games OP. How exactly do you want games to approach "being jewish"?

I would love to see a muslim in a game first that is not a terrorist or some amorphous middle eastern thing that blends everyone together

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Set Roth in Wolfenstein

I learned the Yiddish word "yingele" from him. It means little boy.

Blazkowicz is also confirmed half Jewish in Wolfenstein II

latest

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ has a cameo in Xenosaga Episode III when Shion experiences the memories of Mary Magdalene.

uxxfgbtruk0q.png

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Back when the rumors about Assassin's Creed Origins started coming out en masse, one of them stated that the protagonist would be Israeli.

I tried to think if there were literally any other playable game characters who were Israeli, and even asked in the thread, but no one could think of any.

Later, I looked this up with someone, and the only examples we could find were Ash from Rainbow Six Siege (who is listed as an FBI agent despite originally being from the IDF) and apparently one of the nine character choices from Far Cry 2.

My working theory was that this must be one of the few areas game developers are uninterested in going as Israel seems unpopular on both sides of the political spectrum among younger people, whereas game developers feel they're only putting off part of the political spectrum when they have playable black characters or LGBT character or women.

I actually feel we do see slightly more Jewish representation generally (see Inuhanyou's post above), though you would be right in that it's still limited.

Oct 25, 2017
It would definitely be nice to have more. Of course 99% of the games I play are Japanese, so I'm even less likely to get any kind of representation, heh. I remember being so happy finding out Benny was Jewish in the anime Black Lagoon.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Also don't forget that there at plenty of super heroes who are jewish you'd find in video games. Practicing or otherwise.

Magneto and his kids. (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Polaris)
The Thing
Nite Owl II
Moon Night.
Doc Samson
Song Bird
Kittty Pryde.
Icman is half jewish.
Atom Smasher.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure it does not count, but you can create a Jewish character in South Park The Stick of Truth

latest

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Fight of Gods features Moses as a playable character.

Probably not the best example, but hey, he's there. Smacking dudes with the Ten Commandants and turns staves into snakes.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
South Park has a couple of Jewish characters.
otacon is jewish, Meryl is also a jew. Also Andrew ryan is a jew, one of the main reasons he founded Rapture was to build a society away from germany
I'm pretty sure that Andrew Ryan what wanted to build a society because of what was going in America before and after World War 2.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I kinda had this impression from brief reading on medieval depictions of persons of color that widespread racial hatred of black people was a relatively new thing. Your post made google for a bit and I found this article
https://www.publicmedievalist.com/medieval-people-racist/
I merely skimmed through it, but I'm getting an impression that medieval racism and perceptions of race were quite different from what we have today. Not that there weren't biases against skin colors, I can surmise that much from the article, but it seems to me as if modern kind of anti-black racism wasn't quite there yet.

Meanwhile anti-semitism the way we know it was already there.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I don't know if I can name characters off the top of the dome that I remember being jewish, I'm sure there are some. But I can't actually think of anything.

Off the top of my head the only somewhat recent prominent Jewish character I can remember that wasn't from Wolfenstein was potentially Joel from the last of us but the grounds are shacky cause I'm basing that assumption off this post card Naughty Dog sent out years ago
I know this is wholy completely unrelated to the topic, but I like how its like " naughty dog happy holidays " and i'm like , "where the hell is jak and daxter"

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's technically not straight out representation, but the Darcsen in Valkyria Chronicles are a great example how to translate a real life atrocity into a game setting imo.

I will remember Isara, always.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
South Park has a couple of Jewish characters.

I'm pretty sure that Andrew Ryan what wanted to build a society because of what was going in America before and after World War 2.

It was both according to his own statements in the game. He was raised under Soviet rule after the war, and that formed his personal philosophy in the first place, that eventually lead him to form Rapture

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warning: Anti-Semitism refers to prejudice against Jews. No one is "hogging" anything.
How is antisemitism profound in the Islamic (Arab) world? Arabs are Semites. They can't be anti-themselves. You can't just hog that word for yourselves.

Anti-Jewish, yes. Antisemitism, no.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Otacon from MGS Jewish? I think there are some, maybe more than we know - they just don't have a sign above their head pointing out that someone's Jewish. It's not like you can just look at someone and say "Oh yeah, he/she is of Jewish descent". How would you know? And if you don't know, how writers are to approach this? Write dialogues where people say about their heritage?

And the publishers' problems with any game set in ancient Israel isn't probably because they are anti-semitic. They are probably afraid of having to deal with anything related to the territory of Israel (even if it's about the ancient times) because of politics, Palestine etc.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it have to be a competition? That said, weren't Jews slaves to Egyptians (who included Black people)? I thought black racism is more recent than anti-semitisim too in the big scheme of things.

How is antisemitism profound in the Islamic (Arab) world? Arabs are Semites. They can't be anti-themselves. You can't just hog that word for yourselves.

Anti-Jewish, yes. Antisemitism, no.
Antisemitism specifically means anti-Jewish. It was a term created by the Germans. Yes Arabs and Assyrians are semites but the word doesn't refer to them. This is a common misconception though.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I guess I need to play the game then.

Play both Bio 1 and 2, cause 2 slapdashes things onto ryan that i dont personally agree with, but its still apart of the lore at this stage

Why does it have to be a competition? That said, weren't Jews slaves to Egyptians (who included Black people)? I thought black racism is more recent than anti-semitisim too in the big scheme of things.

I think its those people bringing up how jews are "more oppressed" than other historically oppressed minorities, are the ones who are making it a competition.

In this day and age, anti semetism is also blurred as a concept, due to the conflation of the israeli state's horrible actions and the actual jewish people themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.