• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all think this got anything to do with the 6.0 update? Maybe getting things in motion behind the scenes for the future? Or perhaps, this is entirely its own thing that we'll see closer to PS5 launch.

Either way, I guess this gen was the "recovery" phase (as in, changing things and prepping for the future) for PSN following how things got started on PS3. We should hopefully see considerable improvements for PSN on PS5. With the direction gaming is going, it'll be paramount.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think ps4 and ps5 online structure will be same .so maybe update 6 is preparing PS4 for the future infrastructure

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
All PS5 games ready to be streamed through PlayStation Now on day 1.

(They also need to add all/most of the PS1, PS2, and PS3 library for more people to be interested, c'mon)

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hopefully some form of BC is part of these platform updates. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Either way, nice to see that Sony are heavily invested in moving forward instead of just resting on their laurels as Jez put it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Will there be a PSX this year? Seems like a good time for a PSN announcement.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope so. Psn is in desperate need of a major update. Maybe we can get half way decent download speeds with the ps5? One can hope

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully some form of BC is part of these platform updates. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Either way, nice to see that Sony are heavily invested in moving forward instead of just resting on their laurels as Jez put it.

Forget about PS4 being backwards compatible. I'd bet on PS5 having it though.

They announced name change in last year's PSX and they said that it would be implemented before 2019. So, it's comming.

No they did not. Citation please.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I mean, hopefully? They've had the corpse of the PSN they built for PS3 dragging them down since day-1.

Maybe with PS5 people can finally get their name changes. Maybe they'll figure out refunds too... And it'd be nice if they could figure out how to insta-sync trophies upon unlock like XBL and Steam.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
How about they introduce a display name system so we can just change our names to anything whenever while still retaining our actual usernames. Nintendo and Steam do it.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully an improved store is also planned since that's pretty much the only thing I use on their online infrastructure.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same shit was said for ps4.

Remember when dude from Shiney was talking about lightning fast downloads and what not?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I m hopeful for a refund system on digital purchases within an hour of installing or playing the game

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think if it's anything it could be to do with downloading games for PSNow.

I like the current dash on ps4 and don't expect it to change but wouldn't be against a different kind of look either.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sure fucking hope so. As a paid service especially its slow and at times unstable (kicking me out of the store) not to mention the inconsistancy of the download speeds.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot of evidence pointing to this the past few years. They've been hiring a lot of online infrastructure devs

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, hopefully? They've had the corpse of the PSN they built for PS3 dragging them down since day-1.

Maybe with PS5 people can finally get their name changes. Maybe they'll figure out refunds too... And it'd be nice if they could figure out how to insta-sync trophies upon unlock like XBL and Steam.

I don't know if its the right term but a much more persistent online network would be great. In terms of how it updates itself to the content you use. Name changes, a refund system (some version of Steam's seems like it'd be neat). Not that I know what it really means but the infrastructure is archaic as hell and something that feels like a natural extension of the system rather than something you fight against would be good.

I think the suggestion of PS5 games being available on PS Now Day 1 would be really good. For BC...I mean if it worked kinda like the XB1 stuff that'd be dreamy. If you possess the disc it downloads a copy of the game (I believe??) and it could then either do native emulation or some additional bells and whistles like supersampling or just taking advantage of the PS5 being an order of magnitude more powerful than a PS1/2/3 etc. I feel like full BC via PS Now (detecting what licenses you own on PSN already) would be quite good too, if there's some technical reason for emulation being finnicky on the console itself. Idk.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It's stunning that going into PS5 Sony will be 2 Gens behind XBL and feature wise behind the fucking Switch. Absolutely disgraceful. I can change my name on the Switch. Think about that.

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
Seriously these actions should go without saying. Sony has a bit of a way to go before PSN is where it should be

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A platform holder is working to improve their service? I don't think we need a rumor for that, he isn't saying much.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I read that before. I hope such overhaul will hit PS4 before the release of PS5 so get an unified system for both, especially if PS5 gonna be backward compatible with PS4, so we get sections for PS5 and PS4 games.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
They announced name change in last year's PSX and they said that it would be implemented before 2019. So, it's comming.

Shawn Layden said "Talk to me at next year's PSX about name changes." which to be fair is suggestive, but is hardly committal since he's technically still in the right if all he has to say this year is "Lol still no".

Or if there's no PSX this year for the press to ask him at, he'd also still technically be in the right since PSX '18 hadn't formally been announced.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It'll be interesting to see whether this affects backwards-compatibility for PlayStation 5 at all. I remember there being a discussion about backwards-compatibility a while back, and I'd mentioned that this network overhaul was one thing that I could see potentially impacting it for Sony.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So just don't try to reinvent the wheel in your "Arrogant Sony" state. Just steady on, please.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of updates, what the heck was up with version 6.0? Whole number update and all it said was "improves performance".