• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So I dont watch the news that much, but apparently Jillian Micheals has been going around on a media blitz trying to criticize the "Keto Diet Trend"

https://www.today.com/health/jillia...-keto-diet-you-re-starving-yourselves-t146530

Jillian Michaels has no love for the popular ketogenic diet.

The celebrity trainer didn't hold back when asked about the high-fat, low-carbohydrate regimen in a video for Women's Health magazine when asked about the trendy diet touted by many on Instagram.

Jillian Michaels has revealed she's no fan of the keto diet. "You're starving yourselves," she said. Getty Images
"I don't understand,'' she said. "Like, why would anyone think this is a good idea?"

The ratio of fat to carbs and protein is 4:1 in the keto diet, with a goal of burning fat for energy rather than carbohydrates in order to lose weight. Michaels, 44, is not buying it.

"You know what we need to do? All fat and animal protein!''' she said. "No! Bad plan. For a million reasons."

In the view of the former "Biggest Loser" trainer, the keto diet doesn't provide proper nutritional balance.

"Your cells, your macro molecules, are literally made up of protein, fat, carbohydrates, nucleic acids,'' she said. "When you do not eat one of the three macro nutrients — those three things I just mentioned — you're starving yourselves.

"Those macro nutrients serve a very important purpose for your overall health and wellbeing. Each and every one of them."

She recommends a balanced diet which is fine, for normal people who dont have weight, blood sugar or energy issues.

But ignores the benefits and reasons people use the diet.

1) Helps regulate your blood insulin sensitivity
2) Helps reduce your appetite so overeaters can curb their cravings
3) Weight Loss
4) Clearer mental health more focused thinking
5) Increases your energy and helps stress.

If you are a healthy individual, there's no reason for you to be doing any sort of special diet besides eating healthy non processed foods and proper sized portions. However the benefits for those that have issues like the above are not something to be avoided because a celebrity fitness trainer says so.

She's giving a bunch of misinformation that seems to primarily focus on promoting herself really.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my sister in law started this diet and I think its been 4 months and so far she has lost 15 pounds, she looks really good

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a "trend".
There are use cases for some, bad for others, do your research.
Typically a decrease in carbohydrates is a good thing, especially if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic like millions in this country.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was on it for a month, felt fantastic and lost like 25 pounds. Other than some fatigue and a couple headaches in the first week while my body adjusted. I experienced no real negative effects (I did really miss fruit, though).

People generally eat way, wayyyyyyy more carbs than they need to.

Oct 27, 2017
She literally provides an analysis of the diet in the excerpt you posted. Maybe it's a bad one, but she is stating reasons.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I agree but for different reasons. I'll get quote murdered here I'm sure and will have to ignore my notifications all day but...

Too many people use Keto as a way to lose weight without educating themselves...at all. They don't understand diet, exercise, discipline, or their damn bodies. Then, when they've hit their weight loss goal..boom. It all comes swarming back because they haven't LEARNED anything. Keto is popular because of the speed at which people lose weight. It has it's place, but as a primary dietary plan...I agree that it is a bad idea. I wish more people would simply learn the merits of counting your macros, building workout plans, and understanding their own physiology.

Keto has its place...but I advise most people against it, simply because for most people, the weight loss it offers will not be long term.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the studies showed that high protein/low carb or high fat/low carb diets were unhealthy when tested with mice. There haven't really been any long term studies with it on humans, so it makes sense to be cautious.

Also, avoiding carbs is just plain silly. The populations that live the longest eat plenty of carbs. Exercise and eat your veggies.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like she hasn't done much research on the actual diet and is just forming an opinion based off of the trendiness

I thought the studies showed that high protein/low carb or high fat/low carb diets were bad long term when tested with mice. There haven't really been any long term studies with it on humans, so it makes sense to be cautious.

From my understanding, keto diets are used medically for patients with epilepsy so this is one of the diets that has been studied pretty intensively

Also, it's important to note that while on the diet, protein intake should remain enough to sustain muscle mass (or increase if you are lifting heavy). The goal is not to raise protein intake like the Atkins diet

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't do full on keto but I do limit my carb intake everyday. I try to limit myself to either small portions of carbs per meal or have one meal a day that has the most carbs. I cut out most sugar and only drink soda on the weekend which is usually Saturday Nights when I go out with friends. This along with exercise every other day has helped me lose 80 pounds since January 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends was having success with keto but ended up with gout even as a young guy, so he had to change things up. I'm not an expert in the field but as far as he explained it, the two things were related in his case.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
if you can keep yourself consuming 30g or less in carbs and immediately go back to the diet after a skip day, it's fine. It has worked for two of my friends, with one of them being on it for the last ten years along with regular exercise. The benefits are real if you're committed to keep track of what you eat and if you have discipline. If you don't, or repeatedly waver, it's not for you.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I had more energy, less aches and pains while on this diet. Lost 12 pounds in two weeks need to start it again.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I am 100% in her boat OP sorry. Its a trend that will pass, and I'm predicting in a few more years with research we will find the long term affects are awful.

edit: I am ok with people using this short term for results, but it really scares me when people say they will do this diet for life.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Just eat better overall. Diets work as a quick thing but your goal is to change how you eat long term.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the studies showed that high protein/low carb or high fat/low carb diets were bad for you long term.
It's more about lowering carb intake, doesn't have to be zero. I never overindulged in protein and fat when I did it, but yeah, a shitton of protein and fat can't be good for you long term. I mostly replaced the carbs with high fiber foodstuffs. It does feel amazing being able to eat like a ton of cheese and burgers tho lol

*Edit It's the red-meats that do it to you in terms of protein, anyway.

Nov 9, 2017
Keto isn't for everyone, but I knew a pre-diabetic woman who was advised by a doctor to do the diet. She is no longer pre-diabetic and lost over 50 pounds after cutting out carbs. I would trust a doctor familiar with their patients specific health issues more than someone who is a "fitness guru" speaking in generalities.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I was on it for a month, felt fantastic and lost like 25 pounds. Other than some fatigue and a couple headaches in the first week while my body adjusted. I experienced no real negative effects (I did really miss fruit, though).

You lost 25 lbs in a month? Isn't that kind of insane?

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine working out without the carbs to fuel me through it. But I suppose that's not the intended user-case for these diets.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I thought the studies showed that high protein/low carb or high fat/low carb diets were bad when tested with mice. There haven't really been any long term studies with it on humans, so it makes sense to be cautious.

This is what I've heard. It's a great way to quickly kick off weight loss for a few months, but long term, being on that diet will stress the parts of your body responsible for processing all that fat, and it'll be really hard to avoid unhealthy levels of cholesterol for your heart.

That said, you do have to wonder if this is just a fitness trainer lashing out at a technique that's competing with her own. People getting results on fad diets means fewer people coming to her programs.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep

If you lost 25 pounds there is something much more going on than a moderate change in diet.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there were no essential carbs or sugars or is that just some keto meme?.

I'm probably over the limit of carbs for keto, but it's still low carb. I'm Type 2 diabetic and it works to keep my blood sugar under control.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You would be extremely surprised how much carbs we eat and just turn to fat. On the typical American diet, it's excess energy that can't be used unless you're a goddamn Olympic runner. Straight to fat. Pretty much converts to pure sugar.

Few posts up, someone lost 12 in 2 weeks. Sounds about right. I lost 8-10 in 2 weeks but I also biked moderately daily.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
She's either ignorant or purposely misrepresenting the diet. What a dipshit.

I thought there were no essential carbs or sugars or is that just some keto meme?.

I'm probably over the limit of carbs for keto, but it's still low carb. I'm Type 2 diabetic and it works to keep my blood sugar under control.
The 'carb limit' for ketosis varies from person to person. A glucose meter and ketone strips would tell you whether or not you're in ketosis.

I can't imagine working out without the carbs to fuel me through it. But I suppose that's not the intended user-case for these diets.
I exercise and feel more energetic on keto than I have since I was a teenager. The energy is definitely there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with diets and fad diets are that people don't seem to factor in practicality. If you are doing a diet that is making you miserable, or is too costly for you, or too time consuming, you're probably not going to hold to it, even if you lose weight after a few months. People tend to go 0-60 on dieting. Like I'm going to go from eating fast food one week to a juice cleanse the next.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She just needs to wait a few years to let this fad diet die out like all the others before it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you lost 25 pounds there is something much more going on than a moderate change in diet.
I mean, my goal was to lose weight, so I was heavily monitoring caloric intake and exercising. All the things people tend not to do much of on a diet, and then get frustrated when they don't see results haha. I felt great though, I had energy and was never too hungry (a high fat diet can make you feel incredibly satisfied with not a ton of food).

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The issue is there are no long term studies of what a keto diet does to the body. We know the short term effects, but it would be nice to have a study that follows people over the course of years/decades to see the long term ramifications.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You cut out a lot more than just carbs. No sugar is another
Well sugar is the ultimate carb! But you're correct.
I mean, my goal was to lose weight, so I was heavily monitoring caloric intake and exercising. All the things people tend not to do much of on a diet, and then get frustrated when they don't see results haha. I felt great though, I had energy and was never too hungry (a high fat diet can make you feel incredibly satisfied with not a ton of food).
Fiber is extremely helpful too. Damn, I gotta redo the diet again. Holidays are done, should start next week. Fuck it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's a great momentum driver, but long term it's hard for most to maintain.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried keto but it's hard to give up fruits and sweet potat
E: also I could never give up chickpeas
It also doesn't help that I'm lactose intolerant and a lot of Keto subsitutes revolve around dairy products

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Honestly, unless there's a specific individual need/health reason, she's not wrong.

The Keto diet works because intaking less calories means losing weight, and it provides a fairly easy guideline to do so. There are still huge issues with this type of diet (does no one remember the Atkins fad?)

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep

But counting calories alone can't be it when the deficit needed is 3000 calories a day. (3500*25)/30

It just seems dangerously fast. When I lost 100 pounds in one year, my GP told me I was going about as fast as was still healthy, any faster would be dangerous.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried keto but it's hard to give up fruits and sweet potato

It also doesn't help that I'm lactose intolerant and a lot of Keto subsitutes revolve around dairy products
Yeah, that would be brutal. I also wouldn't recommend it to vegetarians. It's technically possible, but much more of a pain in the ass.

But counting calories alone can't be it when the deficit needed is 3000 calories a day. (3500*25)/30

Lol, dunno what you want me to tell you, bud

Kileth

Oct 27, 2017
I agree but for different reasons. I'll get quote murdered here I'm sure and will have to ignore my notifications all day but...

Too many people use Keto as a way to lose weight without educating themselves...at all. They don't understand diet, exercise, discipline, or their damn bodies. Then, when they've hit their weight loss goal..boom. It all comes swarming back because they haven't LEARNED anything. Keto is popular because of the speed at which people lose weight. It has it's place, but as a primary dietary plan...I agree that it is a bad idea. I wish more people would simply learn the merits of counting your macros, building workout plans, and understanding their own physiology.

Keto has its place...but I advise most people against it, simply because for most people, the weight loss it offers will not be long term.

Cool so either I just eat what I want (keeping it within the Keto guidelines) or I have to do a shit ton of work counting my macros. I will take eating till I am full please.

Though your point is valid on the getting to the weight loss and then leaving the Keto diet. You have to stay on the diet in order to continue seeing the benefits and unlike tracking calories or exercise (which can never match your caloric intake) its easy, and doesn't really require you to do any additional work.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, unless there's a specific individual need/health reason, she's not wrong.

The Keto diet works because intaking less calories means losing weight, and it provides a fairly easy guideline to do so. There are still huge issues with this type of diet (does no one remember the Atkins fad?)

Huh? The argument for keto is that you can have a similar caloric intake but you switch your energy consumption to fat, thus losing weight because your body is consuming your fat cells first.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, try it yourself if you're interested and have some pounds to lose. The weight flies off in the first month.
Huh? The argument for keto is that you can have a similar caloric intake but you switch your energy consumption to fat, thus losing weight because your body is consuming your fat cells first.
I really wish people knew what they were talking about lol
I try to explain these things to people but they walk away after "no rice".

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
When somebody says something reasonably sensible but you claim she "offers no evidence" I have to say something is wrong here and it's not the opponent of the fad diet.

As if one might hope for a final nail in the coffin of these dangerous fringe diets, WHO just published a huge study showing that exclusion of dietary fibre is lethal on a significant epidemiological level. Eat carbs if you can, folks. If you're epileptic or have been advised on diet by your medically qualified dietitian, continue to follow medical advice.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
I think the problem is people on Keto aren't necessarily addressing other eating disorders etc;. "Oh I can't have bread but let me eat a pound of cheese, 3 steaks, and some bacon to feel full".

Also, the diet should only be for individuals who's bodies don't regulate insulin properly. Not this huge crash/fad diet where people are using it as a shortcut to drop pounds quickly.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We eat way too many fucking carbs. Unless your an athlete you don't need that much.

And keto is good.

Best diet is fasting, if you can handle it.