• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing it or something close to it for coming on 8 years now. The healthiest I've ever been in my whole life.

Carbs are completely unessential and more often than not simply harmful if you aren't highly active and eat them daily/as a part of every meal.

"Oh I can't have bread but let me eat a pound of cheese, 3 steaks, and some bacon to feel full".

This is a strawman. No one can eat that much without feeling disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
I went from 266 to 182 in 5~ months on keto. It's great for quick fat burn while still eating lots of things I love (and in some instances, more of it than before)

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Caloric restriction is not one of the tenets of the ketogenic diet. Anyone claiming it to be is ignorant to how the diet works. You CAN incorporate caloric restriction on keto. Just like you can incorporate intermittent fasting as well. They are additional techniques for weight loss in addition to putting your body in a state of ketosis.

If you're "starving" on keto you're not eating enough, just as you wouldn't be eating enough on literally any other diet plan.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
My doctor doesn't want me losing any more weight, but I just don't understand how a calorie deficit could be the only thing going on.
Your body is using its own fat reserves as energy. That's the gist of it. So not only are you eating less shit and feeling full faster, your body is actively using fat reserves even when stationary since no quick energy in the form of simple carbs. That's the simple way to put it.
I went from 266 to 182 in 5~ months on keto. It's great for quick fat burn while still eating lots of things I love (and in some instances, more of it than before)
*high-five!*

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The best thing about keto is how being on keto makes you say the word keto a lot and work keto into every conversation, keto

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think giving up fruits is a bit extreme. If you're eating high fiber fruits like apples, oranges, pears, blueberries, and raspberries your body is going to process those sugars a lot differently than if you were eating nothing but grapes. Added sugars are a lot worse for you than those fruits.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I am 100% in her boat OP sorry. Its a trend that will pass, and I'm predicting in a few more years with research we will find the long term affects are awful.

edit: I am ok with people using this short term for results, but it really scares me when people say they will do this diet for life.

What's the basis for this prediction, and why does it scare you?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Huh? The argument for keto is that you can have a similar caloric intake but you switch your energy consumption to fat, thus losing weight because your body is consuming your fat cells first.

Now why would I want to fuck up my entire metabolism just to lose a few grammes of fat? Weight loss diets are not worth it. Concentrate on staying active and healthy.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on it a year. Went hard the first six months, but have been exercising less and cheating more since about June. I lost forty pounds overall, though the majority of it was in the first half of the year. Even with the lack of exercise and cheating, though, i've managed to keep the weight I did lose off just by being smart about carb-intake. I did recently get addicted to peanut butter, though, which is low-carb, but still has a ton of bad ingredients in it that can fuck with your system. Going to try going hard again and lose more weight.

Personally, I love it. I do miss things like brownies and pizza, but keto pizza is pretty good too- organic low carb tomato sauce mixed with mozerella cheese and cooked pepperoni slices. I could make a bowl of that shit with a ton of fat in it and less than 5 net carbs. I ate that shit three times a week and bacon and eggs every morning for six months and lost forty fucking pounds. It's incredible how much you can benefit just cutting carbs and sugar out of your diet. Cooked everything in olive oil, bacon grease, and butter too. I was going through 1/3 to 1/2 a stick of butter PER DAY at one point, losing weight.

Fuck I need to stop cheating with the fruit and rice and get back to the fat game. I also lowered my fat intake and increased my protein intake in the last six months, which can fuck with insulin levels and knock you out of ketosis. Fuck the turkey bacon, yo, I'm back to the real shit.

By the way, I encourage all of you to stop buying packaged bacon and buy it directly from a butcher or meat counter instead, if you can. It's typically the same price, and in many cases cheaper, and it's SO much better. You know how that packaged shit shrivels up when you throw it on the frying pan? Not butcher/meat counter bacon. The stuff I get from the Albertson's meat counter stays thick and juicy, and cooks so, SO nicely.

Also, anyone trying to eat healthier: buy a bag of power greens (spinach, kale, chard, and mustard greens are the best), and eat a bowl of it with one or two meals every day. It's very low calorie, very low carb, and packed full of good shit. If you eat a couple leaves with every bite or two of your meal, you don't even notice the taste, it'll help you feel more satisfied after eating, and it's so, so good for you.

So yeah, count me in the group that's had a profoundly positive impact from a ketogenic, high fat, low carb diet. In addition to weight loss, my stamina has increased, my sleep has gotten significantly better, and I no longer feel sluggish and tired in the middle of the day. My birthday was last weekend and my girlfriend took me to a Cuban restaurant, where I ate a pile of rice (it was my birthday, so I decided to cheat), and about half an hour later needed to sit down because of the amount of carbs I took in making me feel tired. My girlfriend eats tons of bread and loves fruit juice (she's also in great shape), but when I occasionally convince her to go a day or two without the carbs, she admits how much more energetic she feels during the day. You can eat a full ketogenic meal and hit the gym or go for a run quickly after. Try doing that shit after a bowl of pasta.

Seriously, fuck carbs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) Helps regulate your blood insulin sensitivity
2) Helps reduce your appetite so overeaters can curb their cravings
3) Weight Loss
4) Clearer mental health more focused thinking
5) Increases your energy and helps stress.

1) Yes, this is useful for diabetics
2) This isn't a keto specific benefit, and many people say the opposite as they consume nearly the same amount of calories.
3) Well yea that's the point
4/5) This is conjecture at best.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there were no essential carbs or sugars or is that just some keto meme?.

I'm probably over the limit of carbs for keto, but it's still low carb. I'm Type 2 diabetic and it works to keep my blood sugar under control.

There are not assuming you don't have a medical condition. Your body can easily produce all the glucose it needs without external intake.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I've been off and on Keto for the past 5 or 6 years. Every time I go on, I feel great and lose a lot of weight. I generally sleep better, feel better and have more energy. I feel less hungry and can think clearer and I am more aware. It has also helped with my depression. It has helped my blood sugar and blood pressure. But it can be tough to maintain sometimes, but I'll be going back on it hopefully in a more permanent state after the weekend.

I even got my dad (aged 65) on it and he's lost about 30 pounds and has good blood pressure and has significantly lower blood sugar levels, which is important for him and I as diabetes runs in our family. He is relatively fit for his age and constantly keeps busy, but because of his age, his health has been a growing concern and it's been clearly a benefit for him.

Keto isn't for everyone and it can be a tough life adjustment, but it works and it works well.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I think giving up fruits is a bit extreme. If you're eating high fiber fruits like apples, oranges, pears, blueberries, and raspberries your body is going to process those sugars a lot differently than if you were eating nothing but grapes. Added sugars are a lot worse for you than those fruits.
You really don't have to. You can prob. have like two fruits a day. An orange is only 9g of carbs. There are even lower carb fruits, just gotta do some research. The keto diet, imo, is quite forgiving.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Keto diet is too new, if there is side effect you wouldn't hear about it. It may rear its ugly head a decade or two later.

From everything I have watched (on youtube, because all Keto diehards are youtubers), there is no evidence that it loses weight faster than a balanced diet (carb/fat/potent). If you weight is at your ideal range, you don't need keto to make your feel full, you should have the discipline to do it no matter what diet you are on.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also doesn't help that I'm lactose intolerant and a lot of Keto subsitutes revolve around dairy products
No, they don't. I don't like cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, etc. The only dairy I have is a tablespoon of heavy cream in my coffee which I can easily replace with almond milk or even lactose free milk (since I'm only using a tablespoon).

If you're talking about keto frankenfoods, then most of them revolve around nut "flours", like almond flour.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone here asked me about keto not too long ago on here. This is what I said:

The big problem with keto is compliance more than anything else. You're tricking your body into thinking it's starving to burn fat but if you stay in ketosis for too long, you can start to break down muscle instead, and if you're lax with your carb restriction, you won't burn fat and you're just flooding your body with lipids. The keto diet can also be harsh on your liver and pancreas because you bounce between extremes of insulin secretion and burning up liver glycogen stores so I don't recommend it to anyone with a strong family history of early onset diabetes or anyone at risk for liver failure.

In a nut shell, it's not dangerous for most people if you're strictly compliant but most people also can't handle it for long. Diets should be about lifestyle changes, not temporary weight loss. Temporary diets are actually associated with weight gain once the diet is stopped. Yo-yoing between drastic weight changes is also pretty rough on the heart. Hope that helps and good luck.

Btw, gotta clarify for legal reasons that I'm not your doctor, I can't comment on you specifically, and you should take everything I have to say with a grain of salt ;-)

Michaels is not wrong that animal protein and fat can increase inflammation but there's no evidence I know of thus far that shows keto is especially dangerous for most people outside of compliance issues.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keto is amazing. I'm down 117lbs & my vitals are perfect after 1 year on keto.

Bruh she literally says why she doesn't like it

Her arguments are:

That there's no limitations in place for how much you can eat, which is completely wrong.

That there's no regard for meal timing on keto, which is literally the opposite of the truth. Keto, autophagy, & intermittent fasting very often go hand-in-hand.

She says keto throws your body into a "state of emergency", which is incorrect.

She admits that it can reverse Type 2 Diabetes, eliminate Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and increase fertility, but says it in a derogatory tone that somehow frames these as minor things.

Not to mention that her methods on The Biggest Loser have proven to be virtually unsustainable:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...r-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

They started at an average weight of 328 pounds (about 149 kg) and ended at an average weight of 200 pounds (about 91 kg).
Six years later, when the six men and eight women went to the National Institutes of Health for follow-up measurements, their weight, on average, was back up to 290 pounds. Only one participant hadn't regained any weight.
Similarly, percent body fat started at an average of 49 percent, dipped to 28 percent and returned to 45 percent over time.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now why would I want to fuck up my entire metabolism just to lose a few grammes of fat? Weight loss diets are not worth it. Concentrate on staying active and healthy.

I'm impartial to keto, but it clearly has effects on weight loss, although those effects have an obvious range. Those who deny it's obvious effects are just as stubborn as those who deflect any criticism about the diet

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
High fiber fruits are more keto friendly so yes, you're correct.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
The problem with diets and fad diets are that people don't seem to factor in practicality. If you are doing a diet that is making you miserable, or is too costly for you, or too time consuming, you're probably not going to hold to it, even if you lose weight after a few months. People tend to go 0-60 on dieting. Like I'm going to go from eating fast food one week to a juice cleanse the next.

That's the beauty of Keto tho, it's completely sustainable and doesn't make you miserable, which is why even someone with pretty low willpower like myself can stay on it for months/years at a time to lose weight

I think people wrongly assume that you munch bacon and guzzle cream all day on Keto. Largely I eat the same as I do on a 'normal' diet but without the carbs and the fat increased.

But it's still a diet that sends most people into some kind of cynicism overdrive

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
No, they don't. I don't like cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, etc. The only dairy I have is a tablespoon of heavy cream in my coffee which I can easily replace with almond milk or even lactose free milk (since I'm only using a tablespoon).

If you're talking about keto frankenfoods, then most of them revolve around nut "flours", like almond flour.
maybe I need to do more research then

Nov 1, 2017
All diets work because they restrict the number of calories you're eating. Any other effects are minimal. Your body burns a certain number of calories per day, if you eat less than that you'll lose weight. Keto is just a more complex way of going about it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Re-watched her interview with Eric Andre just this morning and it's his best work yet

Also, it's a great diet that helped me lost a ton of weight. Do whatever works for ya, as long as it's healthy.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Her arguments are:

That there's no limitations in place for how much you can eat, which is completely wrong.

That there's no regard for meal timing on keto, which is literally the opposite of the truth. Keto, autophagy, & intermittent fasting very often go hand-in-hand.

She admits that it can reverse Type 2 Diabetes, eliminate Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and increase fertility, but says it in a derogatory tone that somehow frames these as minor things.

Not to mention that her methods on The Biggest Loser have proven to be virtually unsustainable:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...r-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

You're using morbidly obese people six years after they lost weight as your data point. That's hardly useful.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018

Yeah studies has shown fruit sugar doesn't make your gain weight the way processed sugar does. This bare repeating.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Keto diet is too new, if there is side effect you wouldn't hear about it. It may rear its ugly head a decade or two later.
Except the diet has been around in some form or another since the 1920s?

There is a difference between "classic ketogenic" and the "keto" we're seeing now, but the general principle of high-fat/low-protein has been there since the beginning.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Her arguments are:

Yeah, I do find it funny that someone from TBL is commenting on health. It's an entertainment show with very poor methods for lifetime weight loss.

It also creates a terrible culture of making exercise something that is painful. Exercise should be like sex, something you want to do. If don't like lifting weights, do something else.

I really hate the show lol.

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the thread title doesn't match the content at all. It may not be good analysis (I have no idea and don't care to research it), but there certainly is an explanation and her thought process laid out.

She has no evidence to support her claims of it being "bad" besides her own personal bias really.

She talks about depriving your body of grains, carbs and macronutrients when thats not really what the diet is even about.

You can if you want to (its not really encouraged without taking proper supplements), but the whole diet is about limits and appetite control. The fat is used as a secondary energy source as well as a way to satiate appetite and cravings. Your body needs protein, and sugar and carbs can be easily substituted with the fat for energy. Good sources of Vegetable and plant protein and fat are encouraged as well as fiber so the whole critiscisms of "No carbs, no fiber" is always false and lacks proper research.

If you're on the diet, you limit the portion of your carbs not delete them entirely. and the same goes for fiber, and fiber is very much encourage as well. Its not all meat and cheeses, but veggies and greens as well.

There are plenty of other sources for your "carb limit" than just eating grains and pastas, and other sources that can supply your body with a better balance of your "macronutrients" than just eating whole grains and wheat products.

It's like critiscizing a vegetarian diet for not having enough protein and vitamins.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Huh? The argument for keto is that you can have a similar caloric intake but you switch your energy consumption to fat, thus losing weight because your body is consuming your fat cells first.

Sorry, I worded it wrong.

The point I was trying to make is that Keto makes it easier to burn more calories than you consume, lowering your net intake.

Although, considering most people don't strictly count their calories, and part of the Keto diet is to cut out things like sugar, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the weight loss attributed to it is chiefly due to the person inquestion inadvertently eating less calories, whether or not it's part of the theory behind it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with diets and fad diets are that people don't seem to factor in practicality. If you are doing a diet that is making you miserable, or is too costly for you, or too time consuming, you're probably not going to hold to it, even if you lose weight after a few months. People tend to go 0-60 on dieting. Like I'm going to go from eating fast food one week to a juice cleanse the next.
That's literally why keto is so popular, you can eat a LOT of foods you normally wouldn't be able to on a diet, and in pretty good quantities. Breakfast every morning can be a couple eggs, couple strips of bacon, and some shredded cheese.

The only real drawback of it is you can't really eat sugar, which is generally just an addiction for most people anyway. Once you get over the first week, you miss it a lot less.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly disagree with her, and she obviously states her reasons why she thinks this (OP is totally not biased).

Also always throws me off how defensive a lot of people are when it comes to keto diets (and paleo also).

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the studies showed that high protein/low carb or high fat/low carb diets were unhealthy when tested with mice. There haven't really been any long term studies with it on humans, so it makes sense to be cautious.

Also, avoiding carbs is just plain silly. The populations that live the longest eat plenty of carbs. Exercise and eat your veggies.
I am 100% in her boat OP sorry. Its a trend that will pass, and I'm predicting in a few more years with research we will find the long term affects are awful.

edit: I am ok with people using this short term for results, but it really scares me when people say they will do this diet for life.
The issue is there are no long term studies of what a keto diet does to the body. We know the short term effects, but it would be nice to have a study that follows people over the course of years/decades to see the long term ramifications.

Why do people keep citing this nonsense? You haven't actually looked into the literature, have you? This is just baseless fear mongering. There have been many several-year-long studies. Some even decades long.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-of-epilepsy/927405527DC6CCF246FBA057EACA60E3

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...olled-trials/6FD9F975BAFF1D46F84C8BA9CE860783

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02488.x

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1016/j.nurt.2009.01.005

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059131111001683

There are dozens of studies in this subject matter, I just quoted a few. It's not for everyone and every situation, but it's pretty well studied. Note that I'm not saying it doesn't have drawbacks, but to say it hasn't been studied long term is pure nonsense.

edit: in before someone quotes like one line from one studies that validates their fear mongering without the context of the study or multiple studies

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't particularly disagree with her, and she obviously states her reasons why she thinks this (OP is totally not biased).

Also always throws me off how defensive a lot of people are when it comes to keto diets (and paleo also).

It's personal bias and practically a lifestyle, so it's not all that shocking to see people get really heated over keto and stuff

Nov 1, 2017
If you're eating less carbs, you're likely eating less calories. That's why people think keto is some kind of magic diet and carbs are the devil. If I ate exclusively high-carb foods but consumed the same number of calories as someone on the Keto Diet, I'd lose just as much weight.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep citing this nonsense? You haven't actually looked into the literature, have you? This is just baseless fear mongering. There have been many several-year-long studies. Some even decades long.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-of-epilepsy/927405527DC6CCF246FBA057EACA60E3

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...olled-trials/6FD9F975BAFF1D46F84C8BA9CE860783

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02488.x

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1016/j.nurt.2009.01.005

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059131111001683

There are dozens of studies in this subject matter, I just quoted a few.
Generally people that are actually on diets have done far more research about it than people who criticize it. They tend to just take it as some personal attack on their way of living lol, it's bizarre.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why would it throw you off? When hundreds of thousands if not millions are finding their health for the first time by restricting carbs after failing to do with countless other diets, it's not hard to imagine why they might not be irked to hear some "old guard" CICO fitness guru bashing the diet and calling it dangerous while simultaneously spouting misinformation about the diet and human physiology.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
If you're eating less carbs, you're likely eating less calories. That's why people think keto is some kind of magic diet. If I ate exclusively high-carb foods but consumed the same number of calories as someone on the Keto Diet, I'd lose just as much weight.
Ketosis is a metabolic state induced by reduction in carbohydrate intake that results in the consumption of your body's fat cells for energy while maintaining a similar if not increased feeling of satiety from increased fat and protein consumption.

But sure okay it's probably just less calories lol.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Except the diet has been around in some form or another since the 1920s?

There is a difference between "classic ketogenic" and the "keto" we're seeing now, but the general principle of high-fat/low-protein has been there since the beginning.

Well it was under a different names like Atkin. I think of Keto a form of militant Atkin diet. Again, I don't see any evidence of Keto is better for your body than a less extreme fat/carb ratio diet like the Atkin. It's fine if you use it to lose weight if its the only way it works for you, but I don't see any reason to keep on Keto after you reach your target weight.

Frankly you can lose weight on any diet, you can lost weight on starch only diet if you want.

Jun 10, 2018
Well, after trying every other method out there to get back to my high school weight (145) and reduce appetite, keto has been the only thing to result in both. I've never felt better, and this physiological metamorphosis happened in under two months at that.

So, no disrespect to Jilian, but she can kindly fuck off with the scare tactics.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She has no evidence to support her claims of it being "bad" besides her own personal bias really.

She talks about depriving your body of grains, carbs and macronutrients when thats not really what the diet is even about.

You can if you want to (its not really encouraged without taking proper supplements), but the whole diet is about limits and appetite control. The fat is used as a secondary energy source as well as a way to satiate appetite and cravings. Your body needs protein, and sugar and carbs can be easily substituted with the fat for energy. Good sources of Vegetable and plant protein and fat are encouraged as well as fiber so the whole critiscisms of "No carbs, no fiber" is always false and lacks proper research.

If you're on the diet, you limit the portion of your carbs not delete them entirely. and the same goes for fiber, and fiber is very much encourage as well. Its not all meat and cheeses, but veggies and greens as well.

There are plenty of other sources for your "carb limit" than just eating grains and pastas, and other sources that can supply your body with a better balance of your "macronutrients" than just eating whole grains and wheat products.

It's like critiscizing a vegetarian diet for not having enough protein and vitamins.
I trust you regarding the nutrition information. My point is simply that she did offer her analysis, albeit not a very convincing one that uses stats or data for support. She has a poorly executed analysis rather than no analysis.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Keto is good for weight loss, not fat loss. Most of what you're losing is water.

Edit: avoiding it completely seems stupid, but it definitely isn't as perfect as people make it out to be.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was under a different names like Atkin. I think of Keto a form of militant Atkin diet. Again, I don't see any evidence of Keto is better for your body than a less extreme fat/carb ratio diet like the Atkin. It's fine if you use it to lose weight if its the only way it works for you, but I don't see any reason to keep on Keto after you reach your target weight.

Frankly you can lose weight on any diet, you can lost weight on starch only diet if you want.
....you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Nov 1, 2017
Ketosis is a metabolic state induced by reduction in carbohydrate intake that results in the consumption of your body's fat cells for energy while maintaining a similar if not increased feeling of satiety from increased fat and protein consumption.

But sure okay it's probably just less calories lol.

The composition of your muscle gain/fat loss might change a bit but calories are what determines how much weight you lose. High-carb foods are more calorically dense, so by cutting those foods out, you're getting fuller off of less calories and thus losing weight. Keto is just a roundabout way of limiting your caloric intake.

Nov 9, 2017
I think keto is great overall, but I would think most peoples endgame is to reach their ideal weight using Keto and then adjust to a well balanced low carb diet along with exercise. This would allow you to maintain the weight while getting fit and not eating too much fat/protein for extended periods of time

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just ignore the CICO hardliners. They want things to be simple and will not hear otherwise.
My big issues with CICO folks is that they completely forget about satiety. Sure people can count calories all day, but if they feel like they are starving all the time (a common feedback item for new calorie counters) they won't commit long term.

Keto is great because it works as an appetite reset for many. Especially if you're eating a lot of high reward foods (high fat/high carb) that dominate the American foodscape.

I'm not Keto at all, but have tried when I started my weight loss journey many years ago. It got me off that snacking train.