• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
California
Thanks to keto I went from weighing 206 lbs to 188 lbs in about 4 months. I think I would have lost so much more weight if I strictly followed the diet and didn't have so many cheat days.

For now I'm just doing calorie restriction while limiting my sugar intake, but thanks to keto I've learned more self-control.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to keto I went from weighing 206 lbs to 188 lbs in about 4 months. I think I would have lost so much more weight if I strictly followed the diet and didn't have so many cheat days.

For now I'm just doing calorie restriction while limiting my sugar intake, but thanks to keto I've learned more self-control.
how many cheat days would you have like per month?

I'm finding it very hard to stay low carb

Kaga

Nov 3, 2017
DeKalb, IL
I started keto in late June last year when I weighed my all-time high of 235. The first 20 pounds absolutely melted off in about six weeks, and I'm currently at 192, which I haven't weighed since high school, and I'm an old man where high school was in the 80s. I had the 'keto flu' for the first couple of days but I've felt really great since. I don't see it as a diet anymore and it's become more of a lifestyle (my partner has lost 30+ as well and she looks awesome). I do what's called 'lazy keto' in that I don't count anything and there's no keeping score. I eat meat, vegetables grown above the ground, nuts and whole fat dairy. So no sugar and no carbs, but as for those things that I do eat, I eat as much as I want and anytime I want. I'm on a diet and I can snack, and I can get seconds (or thirds or whatever) as long as stick to what I eat. I'm never hungry. It's led to a lot of new clothes expenditures, but I can't recommend it enough.

Rokuren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To my latest point, you were asking someone in disbelief if they actually thought that they wouldn't gain weight if they had a bad day as far as calories go. I responded saying that I've had the same experience, generally, that they've had. Absolutely relevant to the topic being discussed. For example, if you read my post, you'd see that my main point isn't that I gained weight if I ate too many carbs. The main point is that I kept losing weight even if I ate too many non-carb calories. This is specifically what you were in disbelief about with regards to the other poster.
The problems with statements like that or other personal anecdotes is that generally people aren't good at identifying other factors that can explain such things.

IE, I'm eating more on X diet vs Y diet and I'm losing weight. How are they determining that they're eating more? Is it that they're tracking calories(accurately) finding they're eating more without an influence on TDEE(say better fueling workouts)? Or do they mean they eat and feel full for longer, which can result in eating less. When they say they gain weights on carbs are they aware of the uptick in water weight/glycogen replenishment(or any other non body fat related reason why weight might shift) or do they just see an uptick on the scale and shout KHAAN!!! I mean CARBS!

That some people use CICO and calorie counting interchangeably doesn't give much confidence they're accounting for everything. In addition, there are multiple studies on a variety of topics regarding weight loss pointing out the general failure people have with food recall(even when specifically tracking calories), tracking calorie expenditure, and the variety of studies that examine fats(offhand I don't remember any specific to keto) vs carbs in both underfeeding scenarios(gain/loss is basically the same when accounting for calories/protein).

So what often happens is that people might fail on one diet then succeed on another. They then look at what makes the diet different deciding that must be the truth and whatever reason the other diet was supposed to work was a lie; which results in statements like: CICO is a lie, I can eat a cal surplus on keto and not gain weight, or sarcastivally asking whether 100 cals of X is exactly the same as 100 cals of y.

In order for people to lose weight they need to be in a calorie deficit. After that the most important thing is compliance which is where macros/food choice come into play; for some people this is keto, others IF, etc,etc.

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/cico-evidence-based-truth/ is a good link for information on CICO.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
All I know is the people in my life who are on keto or talk about keto are the most unbearable people to be around.

Being on a diet is fine, but really, I don't need to hear you talk about it every moment of every fucking day. When you deliberately ask to go to lunch with me and then proceed to go on and on about how at fucking Wendy's you are gonna need to make sure you get something Keto.

I just can't. I can't.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017

One thing I have adapted to is 3 weeks on, one week off diet, within reason. Meaning, it's fine to gorge on some pizza and sweets etc for one day. But be reasonable about the specific carbs you eat during that phase and don't go insane.

It helps immensely that once the body becomes fat adapted, it naturally craves the foods you have been eating that are good for you, and junk food generally doesn't taste anywhere near as good as you remember it tasting once you are fat adapted.

So for example I might have some pizza in that week, one or two fast food or restaurant meals, and maybe some regular pasta interspersed through my regular, healthy meals.

Once the week is over, I go into ketosis again by holding to my diet. Which for me, usually takes about 2 days or less now since my body is adapted to burning fat for fuel.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
All I know is the people in my life who are on keto or talk about keto are the most unbearable people to be around.

Being on a diet is fine, but really, I don't need to hear you talk about it every moment of every fucking day. When you deliberately ask to go to lunch with me and then proceed to go on and on about how at fucking Wendy's you are gonna need to make sure you get something Keto.

I just can't. I can't.

You do realize not everyone is like this right? Why paint with such a broad stroke of the brush?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Keto diet fucking sucks. lol "clearer mental health and focused thinking, increases energy"
I don't doubt that aspects of the Keto diet work, but when any diet starts making claims like this then I get extremely skeptical. That just screams bullshit.
It's been that way for decades with multiple diets. It might sound logical and a good idea, but the amount actual proven clinical studies are sketchy, and any clinical studies often proves the same results for multiple different diets.

Common sense often prevails. I'll believe in low sugar, higher fiber carbs, lower calorie intake, in combo with exercise. That's what I try to do. But if somebody is "selling" a specific diet, call me skeptical. It's been proven over and over and over again that fad diets involve eating a whole lot of bullshit.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you misunderstand my post. Even if you eat healthily, if you go above your threshold, your body sees it as "extra".

Keto diet conditions your body to make the ~1000-1400kcal/day the new normal. If you go back to 2500kcal it's ~1000kcal extra a day.

That's really not how it works. It is when you consume carbohydrate and elevate your blood sugar. That's an emergency that needs to be dealt with immediately by packing that glucose away somewhere. It's not necessarily the case with just fat and protein intake. Either way, I certainly didn't drop my caloric intake by going low-carb. I never measure anything, but I easily consume upwards of 3000 kcal or more per day and never gain fat.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
I'm sure it's been discussed, but apparently Jillian doesn't understand that the whole point of keto is in fact starving yourself, and that starving (in moderation, or in cycles) is incredibly good for you.

Keto as a permanent thing is completely asinine, but it's a great diet to cycle in and out of frequently. It's especially great when you want to shed water weight for a particular reason (beach, romantic getaway, cosplay).

Insulin resistance is super important to reduce as much as possible, and keto is a great way to do it without frequent fasts.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is ok with all the rather glowing personal anecdotes of keto, yet when someone has a negative experience and has a similarly inverse personal anecdote that is extremely negative they are just trolls? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I certainly believe those people, too. Just like there are millions of people who seem to get by just fine eating mostly carbs when I cannot do the same. There definitely seems to be a lot of individual disparity, possibly due to a genetic component. All the more reason that everyone needs to experiment to find what works for their own body.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
I don't doubt that aspects of the Keto diet work, but when any diet starts making claims like this then I get extremely skeptical. That just screams bullshit.
It's been that way for decades with multiple diets. It might sound logical and a good idea, but the amount actual proven clinical studies are sketchy, and any clinical studies often proves the same results for multiple different diets.

Common sense often prevails. I'll believe in low sugar, higher fiber carbs, lower calorie intake, in combo with exercise. That's what I try to do. But if somebody is "selling" a specific diet, call me skeptical. It's been proven over and over and over again that fad diets involve eating a whole lot of bullshit.
I was a big proponent of IIFYM as well. I run 6 days a week, and do barbell work 3-4 days a week.

Keto isn't a single answer, it's a tool to add to your diet regimen to cycle with others. It's undeniably awful for performance, but being fat adapted can have tremendous benefits for long distance exercise.

The mental health effects are the same as any from fasting, whether that's IF or water fasts, and those are clinically proven. It's definitely not BS.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland

What are you eating that's higher in carbs. Cheat days will slow you down and I'm not sure the intial weeks of the diet is the best time to incorporate them..
Also what are you considering a cheat day? One
Meal? Going all out in sugary doughy carnage? There's a difference. Lol.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
it's pretty hard to get rice, potatoes, and plantains out of my diet tbh. not to mention like chocolate
You can buy pre-riced cualiflour in the frozen aisle of most grocery stores now.
Heat pan, add 1tbsp vegetable oil, throw in the riced cauliflower and pat it down tight against the pan. Add some chicken stock if youd like and let cook for a few minutes till crispy. Mix, and add any seasonings, cook for a another minute or two and serve. Delicious and ~2 net carbs per serving.

Mashed Potatos can be subbed with cauliflower too, though you probably be better off making that from scratch. The premade one's tend to be full of extra shit.

Chocolate. Go dark, 80% or above. Or look for Lily's brand baking chocolate. Minus fiber, and erythritol it's 2 net carbs per sizable peice.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You do realize not everyone is like this right? Why paint with such a broad stroke of the brush?

I'm not saying everyone, just literally every single person I've ever known on it lol. It's a general problem with these kinds of popular diets, people latching on to the status symbol of it. But I'll be damned if Keto people aren't the most annoying.

I'm sure there are the majority of keto-folks who aren't annoying, but I sure as fuck haven't met them yet.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It worked for me, did it for about 8 months and lost 80 pounds. I was taking vitamins the whole time though and made sure to drink plenty of water. I also went to a GP and got levels taken to make sure I was okay.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely true for me, but that's because I think I was addicted to sugar. Like, if I didn't have it, I would feel cravings and feel really headachey/stressed until I had some more. Keto broke that craving for me, so I did feel "mentally more healthy" and energised.

Sugar dependency is real and makes you feel like shit.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Went on the diet for 3 months and lost close to 40 pounds. My doctor was so happy for me and all early signs of fatty liver disease I had earlier in the year were gone. He certainly had no complaints

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been on a pretty diligent keto lifestyle for 2 years now. went from 260 lbs to 190 lbs and have been weight training as well for 1.5 years. At 42 years old, ive never felt or looked better. My blood tests have improved greatly and Ive even managed to quit taking synthroid for hypothyroidism as the diet and exercise have improved my thyroid levels.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

It's true tho. Try it yourself. Ask anyone who's been on the diet.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you tracked calories for a while, weighing foods etc while eating the superior macro, carbs, and had bad results? Doubt it. Science and the law of thermodynamics disagrees. This is what I think happened, keto allowed for a higher protein intake and it helped you sustain a calorie deficit. Some people need abstinence from delicious foods, some don't.
yep. logged the ingredients and foods Samsung Health on my phone. tracked weight and logged it. keto had more, better and more sustained weight loss.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So I dont watch the news that much, but apparently Jillian Micheals has been going around on a media blitz trying to criticize the "Keto Diet Trend"

https://www.today.com/health/jillia...-keto-diet-you-re-starving-yourselves-t146530

She recommends a balanced diet which is fine, for normal people who dont have weight, blood sugar or energy issues.

But ignores the benefits and reasons people use the diet.

1) Helps regulate your blood insulin sensitivity
2) Helps reduce your appetite so overeaters can curb their cravings
3) Weight Loss
4) Clearer mental health more focused thinking
5) Increases your energy and helps stress.

If you are a healthy individual, there's no reason for you to be doing any sort of special diet besides eating healthy non processed foods and proper sized portions. However the benefits for those that have issues like the above are not something to be avoided because a celebrity fitness trainer says so.

She's giving a bunch of misinformation that seems to primarily focus on promoting herself really.
As a GP here are a few nitpicks:
  • All 5 points are the "same", as in weight loss has an heavy correlation with the other 4 "benefits".
  • Blood insulin sensitivity should be read Decrease in insulin resistance; Blood doesn't interact with insulin at all, in fact, erythrocytes and the neurons are one of the few cells in the human body that DO need glucose and can't fully use other energy sources.
Like all patients that follow an "one sided" diet that heavily evades one type of nutrient eventually get their consequences. Where i practice eating smoked food daily is normal as such the amount of GI cancer is around 4x the nacional number. Lung cancer is also much higher for obvious reasons.
Young women who are vegan also usually have some sort of anemia and sometimes, unfortunately, neuropathy.

Here are some of the WHO recomendations (i'd post DGS which is the regulatory body of my pratice but folks here tend to ignore it because it is in my mother tongue, portuguese) which is, to my knowledge, almost opposite to the keto diet.

Reducing the amount of total fat intake to less than 30% of total energy intake helps to prevent unhealthy weight gain in the adult population (1, 2, 3). Also, the risk of developing NCDs is lowered by:

• reducing saturated fats to less than 10% of total energy intake;
  • reducing trans-fats to less than 1% of total energy intake; and
  • replacing both saturated fats and trans-fats with unsaturated fats (2, 3) – in particular, with polyunsaturated fats.

I just wanted you OP to understand that keto diet by definition is not healthy and thus one should be careful in defending, even if the criticisms are not correct this is a diet that will probably harm more then helps, specially outside of the USA.

I'll probably not comment further in this thread after getting burned in the vegan thread.

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
  • All 5 points are the "same", as in weight loss has an heavy correlation with the other 4 "benefits".
  • Blood insulin sensitivity should be read Decrease in insulin resistance; Blood doesn't interact with insulin at all, in fact, erythrocytes and the neurons are one of the few cells in the human body that DO need glucose and can't fully use other energy sources.
Like all patients that follow an "one sided" diet that heavily evades one type of nutrient eventually get their consequences. Where i practice eating smoked food daily is normal as such the amount of GI cancer is around 4x the nacional number. Lung cancer is also much higher for obvious reasons.
Young women who are vegan also usually have some sort of anemia and sometimes, unfortunately, neuropathy.

Here are some of the WHO recomendations (i'd post DGS which is the regulatory body of my pratice but folks here tend to ignore it because it is in my mother tongue, portuguese) which is, to my knowledge, almost opposite to the keto diet.

I just wanted you OP to understand that keto diet by definition is not healthy and thus one should be careful in defending, even if the criticisms are not correct this is a diet that will probably harm more then helps, specially outside of the USA.

I'll probably not comment further in this thread after getting burned in the vegan thread.

Thanks for the info, but like others have stated in here. The diet is used as a way to lose weight, and learn proper eating habits and what goes into their body.

Before I started Keto I thought just eating whole grains, fruit and veggies would be all I needed to be healthy. I never counted calories, portion sizes, carb intake, sugar counts, never gave any notice of fiber, protein and fat intake or what vitamins and nutrients my body needed.

It's a guideline in the long run, now really meant to be something you do for the rest of your life and his highly flexible if you do go off. Ive not transitioned to a more balanced diet with some leanings toward low carb foods but not as strict as before while still maintaining a steady fat loss and muscle gain with excercise and proper diet.

I've met my goal and the lessons I learned while doing Keto have been more than invaluable

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm basically on Keto, best decision I made about my health

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm basically on Keto, best decision I made about my health

I'm just curious, but when you say "basically on keto", what exactly do you mean? Do you mean you've cut a lot of processed carbs/sugars from your diet, or you're actually seeking ketosis?

it's pretty hard to get rice, potatoes, and plantains out of my diet tbh. not to mention like chocolate

yea, keto probably aint gonna work for you

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious, but when you say "basically on keto", what exactly do you mean? Do you mean you've cut a lot of processed carbs/sugars from your diet, or you're actually seeking ketosis?

Meaning that I am not completely 100% strict with the diet. I do slack here and there and always regret doing so because it's never worth it

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You should know as a GP that dietary carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient and that the body produces as much glucose as necessary.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You should know as a GP that dietary carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient and that the body produces as much glucose as necessary.

You are exactly why i don't like to comment on nutrition thread. I'll indulge you. I'd appreciate if you could answer the following if our bodies can produce as much glucose as necessary?

1. If the body produces as much glucose as necessary how come if you don't eat (even if you are obese) you can have hypoglycemia?
  2. How come a low carbohydrate diet is associated with increase in mortality? (here is a study published this year in lancet)
I transcribe here you so you don't have to read the article
There was a U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake and mortality in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort, a finding that was consistent in the meta-analysis combining these data with those from the other cohorts. When assessing total carbohydrate without regard to specific food source, diets with high (>70%) or low (<40%) percentage of energy from carbohydrates were associated with increased mortality, with minimal risk observed between 50–55%. Low carbohydrate dietary patterns that replaced carbohydrate with animal-derived protein or fat were associated with greater mortality risk, whereas this association was inverse when energy from carbohydrate was replaced with plant-derived protein or fat. These findings were also corroborated in the meta-analysis.

I'll re-iterate my first post, any diet that ignores any part of nutrition will have in the long run a higher risk for diseases. A healthy diet (less risk possible for diseases) is following the food circle. To lose weight people should just follow the food circle in smaller portions. Exercise itself is not very good for weight loss but highly decreases future morbidity as well as increases a lot of capabilities that end up improving QoL.

If the human body could produce as much glucose as necessary, no longer would i have to adapt the insulin dosage. Also, i would also like to remember you that fibers belong to the carbohydrate "family", so we would be able to create those too; which would mean no more constipation and diverticulosis (UK doesn't consider lack of fiber a cause to diverticulosis).

looking forward to the answers (don't forget to put sources).

Thanks for the info, but like others have stated in here. The diet is used as a way to lose weight, and learn proper eating habits and what goes into their body.

Before I started Keto I thought just eating whole grains, fruit and veggies would be all I needed to be healthy. I never counted calories, portion sizes, carb intake, sugar counts, never gave any notice of fiber, protein and fat intake or what vitamins and nutrients my body needed.

It's a guideline in the long run, now really meant to be something you do for the rest of your life and his highly flexible if you do go off. Ive not transitioned to a more balanced diet with some leanings toward low carb foods but not as strict as before while still maintaining a steady fat loss and muscle gain with excercise and proper diet.

I've met my goal and the lessons I learned while doing Keto have been more than invaluable
I'm glad it worked out for you; Just remember to go back to a healthy diet.

Last edited:

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
karnage10 I want to start by saying I mostly agree with all the points you are making and appreciate what you said in the Vegan threads.

Also, i would also like to remember you that fibers belong to the carbohydrate "family", so we would be able to create those too; which would mean no more constipation and diverticulosis.

looking forward to the answers (don't forget to put sources).

However I think the need for dietary fiber in the diet for preventing diverticulosis is still being studied. I say this a someone who is on a path towards reducing the amount of vegetables and fruit in my diet as I feel much better on a mostly carnivorous path.

"Many physicians and patients believe that a high-fiber diet and frequent bowel movements prevent the development of diverticulosis. Evidence for these associations is poor. We sought to determine whether low-fiber or high-fat diets, diets that include large quantities of red meat, constipation, or physical inactivity increase risk for asymptomatic diverticulosis.

Conclusions:

A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, prevalence of diverticulosis. Hypotheses regarding risk factors for asymptomatic diverticulosis should be reconsidered."

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...diverticulosis-diverticulitis/symptoms-causes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724216/

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How do you call my name like that?

karnage10 I want to start by saying I mostly agree with all the points you are making and appreciate what you said in the Vegan threads.

However I think the need for dietary fiber in the diet for preventing diverticulosis is still being studied. I say this a someone who is on a path towards reducing the amount of vegetables and fruit in my diet as I feel much better on a mostly carnivorous path.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...diverticulosis-diverticulitis/symptoms-causes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724216/

That is why it is hard to offer advice for non portuguese citizens. I am always afraid when a health system clashes with other in "grey areas".
In Portugal our gastro-enterologist data show that high dietary fiber intake (like vegans and vegetarians) have a much lower risk of complications of diverticulitis. Thus if fibers prevent the more aggressive part of the disease and we currently have no data that points towards that fiber causes diverticulosis we recommend a high fiber intake.

From a recent review in nature
On the basis of the aforementioned pathophysiological considerations, one could argue that a diet rich in fibre and low in meat might prevent the formation of diverticula. In support, one study comparing non-vegetarians and long-term vegetarians (who consumed twice as much fibre) showed an almost three times higher rate of diverticulosis in non-vegetarians. However, Peery et al. failed to show a preventive effect of fibre intake on the development of diverticulosis. Furthermore, low fibre intake and constipation are not associated with a higher frequency of diverticulosis. Two large, prospective cohort studies have shown a protective effect of high fibre when symptomatic diverticular disease was used as an outcome measure. In the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (HPFS), men within the highest quintile of fibre intake had a 42% risk reduction for the development of symptomatic diverticular disease. Similarly, the Oxford-based EPIC study of >47,000 participants (of whom 33% were vegetarians), yielded almost identical results with a 41% risk reduction in the group with the highest fibre intake

Obviously the NHS of the UK disagrees with us and prefers to wait for more data before taking a decision.
I really appreciate the input, each health system tackles diseases differently and I appreciate being informed when i'm wrong.

For those that are from the UK in my previous content disregard the diverticulosis.

P.S. Also it is entirely normal to feel better with carnivour diet. Meat, specially red one has a LOT of nutrients. Our body is relatively good at digesting meat which makes you feel better then when you eating a more vegeterian diet that is harder to digest thus making you feel bloated.
I'd just like to add caution on the red meat intake and instead "always" eat white meat,fish and eggs which are less associated with diseases then red meat.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
You don't see the irony in claiming CICO is basically a lie and that running caloric deficit doesn't produce weight loss... while in the same post claiming you can consume 4000 calories a day while in ketosis and not gain a single pound?
i dont know if i could get down 4000 calories of beef or leafy greens. All i can say is that since going keto, ive been able to eat as much as i desired while not gaining weight even during times when ive binged. i know eating like this forever doesnt work for everyone but im more than satisfied with it and have been for years.

What is it that you find difficult?

edit: Ah i see.. the comment about rice, plantains, etc. What you are going to have to do is investigate what is available in your area that can work. If you arent already, start cooking. Go through Youtube videos and get ideas for easy recipes that will common where you are at.

Last edited:

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
How do you call my name like that?

karnage10 just type @ followed by "karnage10" it even autocompletes your name :D

I really appreciate your points about a healthy diet being different for different populations. It's part of what makes this discussion so heated sometimes. We really associate diet with our culture and identity. To attack one is to attack the other.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are exactly why i don't like to comment on nutrition thread..

Why? Do you just not like to be challenged or something?

I'll indulge you. I'd appreciate if you could answer the following if our bodies can produce as much glucose as necessary?

1. If the body produces as much glucose as necessary how come if you don't eat (even if you are obese) you can have hypoglycemia?.

I mean, all I have to do is point you to any number of people doing a very low-carb/no-carb diet who have zero issues with hypoglycemia. This is a non-issue unless you suffer from a medical condition that inhibits glucose production.

How come a low carbohydrate diet is associated with increase in mortality? (here is a study published this year in lancet)
I transcribe here you so you don't have to read the article

Good god... not this study again. Did you actually read the methodology and details inside or just the high level reporting on it?

It's another garbage survey-based observational epidemiology waste of time.

I mean, just read this:

Participants completed an interview that included a 66-item semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire (FFQ), modified from a 61-item FFQ designed and validated by Willett and colleagues,16 at Visit 1 (1987–89) and Visit 3 (1993–95). Participants reported the frequency with which they consumed particular foods and beverages in nine standard frequency categories (extending from never or less than one time per month, to six or more times per day). Standard portion sizes were provided as a reference for intake estimation, and pictures and food models were shown to the participants by the interviewer at each examination…"

Do you truly think that anyone could answer such a survey with any degree of accuracy? It's completely asinine. Most people can't even recall what they ate for dinner a few days ago, but they were checking in on these people several years apart and asking them to recall specific foods and report frequencies over spans of years at a time. You will get nothing of use from that.

We did a time varying sensitivity analysis: between baseline ARIC Visit 1 and Visit 3, carbohydrate intake was calculated on the basis of responses from the baseline FFQ. From Visit 3 onwards, the cumulative average of carbohydrate intake was calculated on the basis of the mean of baseline and Visit 3 FFQ responses…"

Other than visit 1 and visit 3 (of six total), they did not actually look at carbohydrate intake, but instead just estimated the rest based on those two visits they did track and assumed things would largely stay the same. I mean, I already said any answers to a crazy survey like this would be trash, so maybe plugging in guesstimates for carbohydrate values is just a good, but either way, you're just accumulating garbage non-data.

…We did not update carbohydrate exposures of participants that developed heart disease, diabetes, and stroke before Visit 3, to reduce potential confounding from changes in diet that could arise from the diagnosis of these diseases… The expected residual years of survival were estimated…

How convenient... In a study trying to look at how carbohydrate intake might affect longevity and overall mortality, they just decided to exclude people who may have developed diseases before visit 3 (of six) and changed their diet to combat those diseases (by possibly lowering carbohydrate even)! They are basically saying here that they are just assuming everyone ate exactly the same throughout the whole diet and excluded people who they could reasonably suspect might have radically changed what they ate. This is trash.

Finally, look in the table of the different groups of participants. Their lowest carb intake group is at 37% of kcal intake as carbohydrate. Their kcal intake was as low as 1558 kcal. 37% of that is 144g of carbohydrate. That is not a low-carb diet in any camp.

I could go on and on about how trash this study is, but there are probably hundreds of other breakdowns out there online if you care to look. I really hope you're not drawing any kind of conclusions from it.

I'll re-iterate my first post, any diet that ignores any part of nutrition will have in the long run a higher risk for diseases.

Any part of nutrition? That's nonsense. You're basically saying that stuff like sugar and alcohol need to also not be ignored.

A healthy diet (less risk possible for diseases) is following the food circle. To lose weight people should just follow the food circle in smaller portions. Exercise itself is not very good for weight loss but highly decreases future morbidity as well as increases a lot of capabilities that end up improving QoL..

If the human body could produce as much glucose as necessary, no longer would i have to adapt the insulin dosage.

What insulin dosage? If you're treating diabetic patients, then yes, they absolutely need to work with their doctor to ease off their insulin dosages if they want to try low-carb. I wasn't initially referring to people who were already shooting themselves up with insulin.

Also, i would also like to remember you that fibers belong to the carbohydrate "family", so we would be able to create those too; which would mean no more constipation and diverticulosis (UK doesn't consider lack of fiber a cause to diverticulosis).

No, we can't produce fiber on our own. Personally, I'm skeptical of the need for dietary fiber in the first place, but that's a separate topic.

Last edited:

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I didn't lose a ton of weight on this diet (my weight was a lot closer to the ideal than in many cases here) and I also saw many of those side effects in the extreme as well. I'm talking the end of hunger, the end of lethargy/tiredness, the end of sleeplessness, I stopped getting sick and haven't had anything other than catching the flu from my son in 8 years, etc. All of my bloodwork is immaculate and my physicals are top of the line as well.
You don't have to lose a ton, health markers improve from as little as 5% weight loss.

The problem with saying you experienced all those health benefits and attributing them to Keto, is you'd also have to regain the weight and lose the weight via a different eating plan to see if those same health markers improved or not.

Dec 23, 2017
This comes down to branding and profit. Keto is basically the exact opposite of what she has been promoting her entire career. OF COURSE she is going to speak out against it. It's good for business. I struggled with being over weight for 10 years. Finally found something that worked for me. It wasn't keto but just changing my lifestyle and a lot of intermittent fasting. Even though so many people have seen my weight loss most people scold me on intermittent fasting and how it's bad for me despite my results. To all those on keto and have lost weight and feel healthy I salute you. To those that don't believe in keto and have change their lives and are healthy I salute you also. It should be that simple. Not everyone will have success doing the same thing. I personally won't be the person to judge or put down someone method for obtaining that healthy success.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to lose a ton, health markers improve from as little as 5% weight loss.

The problem with saying you experienced all those health benefits and attributing them to Keto, is you'd also have to regain the weight and lose the weight via a different eating plan to see if those same health markers improved or not.

I have lost similar amounts of weight with different methods through the course of my life, specifically pure exercise in high school and then the whole Lean Cuisine CICO method right after college, and I didn't see any of the benefits in my post. In fact the CICO thing made me feel like shit, especially with regards to the hunger and energy/lethargy. My blood work was never outright bad, but also never good, on any of these methods or in between, but as I said before it is stellar now.

Just to clarify, I know I name dropped lean cuisine but I didn't sit and eat frozen shit, I prepared the same kind of meals fresh. Just used the name as a shorthand for the kind of lean meat, veggies, and carbs in small portions diet.

Last edited:

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does CICO make you feel like shit? The whole point is you can choose to eat what you want, you either chose to eat crap food or had your calorie goal too low.

I lost 68KG with CICO and definitely didn't feel like shit. That's with also walking around 100 miles per week.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does CICO make you feel like shit? The whole point is you can choose to eat what you want, you either chose to eat crap food or had your calorie goal too low.

I lost 68KG with CICO and definitely didn't feel like shit. That's with also walking around 100 miles per week.

When I last did it, I limited myself to 1800 calories per day and tried to get in at least 300 kcal of active exercise (usually one a treadmill). I was completely miserable the whole time and the scale didn't move. I was down like 1 ~ 2 pounds after doing it a month and just said screw it midway through the second month because I had constant headaches and was always tired.

Mostly ate stuff like chicken breast, pasta, bread, cereal with non-fat milk, tofu, beans, etc.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad it worked for you!

But how do you know that it wasn't just the weight loss that helped you to feel better?

The problem with saying you experienced health benefits and attributing them to CICO, is you'd also have to regain the weight and lose the weight via a different eating plan to see if those same health markers improved or not.

Anyway, I said it in my post, I ate very well. Fresh lean meats, good veggies, and the good unrefined carbs that you're supposed to eat. Plus fruits and things like that too. Basically the standard "balanced" diet, in a calorie deficit. I didn't feel good. And nowhere near as good as I felt within the first couple of weeks on keto/low carb, and for 8 solid years since.

As for the calorie goal being too low, this was over ten years ago so I can't give you the exact details, but I definitely tracked that kind of thing and made the proper adjustments as necessary.

Last edited:

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Honestly, unless there's a specific individual need/health reason, she's not wrong.

The Keto diet works because intaking less calories means losing weight, and it provides a fairly easy guideline to do so. There are still huge issues with this type of diet (does no one remember the Atkins fad?)
You don't necessarily take in less calories when doing keto. Your just not spiking blood sugar and triggering insulin. Your leptin levels are also much lower.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You don't necessarily take in less calories when doing keto. Your just not spiking blood sugar and triggering insulin. Your leptin levels are also much lower.
Many people are misinformed wildly on how keto works. Atkins is similar but it's not the same. I would def. call Atkins a fad-diet.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Many people are misinformed wildly on how keto works. Atkins is similar but it's not the same. I would def. call Atkins a fad-diet.
I must confess I'm not quite familiar with the differences between Keto and Atkins. Personally, I tend to cycle between keto and a balanced diet (usually doing keto for 2-3 months). I absolutely love keto but it's tricky to maintain it due to how expensive non-carb foods can be. That said, when I'm doing keto my gym performance skyrockets.

Regarding CICO, as I'm sure many people know, is much more of a generic overview of nutrition as opposed to being based on any kind of science or biochemistry. I've linked a video below that is a fantastic starting point to understanding how weight is gained and lost.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
last post, because, again, you keep choosing to be rude as well as being dishonest by not posting any trusty sources. All of your comments are wrong if you just read any nutrition book made for doctors; which IMO is the basis you should read before posting.
In the case you read a recent one that does confirm what you say it would be of the most extreme importance to source it has I could push for a change inside the portuguese national health system, as well as doing studies to confirm it.

Here is the run down:
Why? Do you just not like to be challenged or something?
From people who don't source their knowledge. Yeah i don't; because whatever source i use, you won't trust it for some weird imaginary reason. No amount of date or consensus from regulatory bodies will matter to you.
This is not a discussion, it is you pushing your perception not of what is practice in medicine.

I mean, all I have to do is point you to any number of people doing a very low-carb/no-carb diet who have zero issues with hypoglycemia. This is a non-issue unless you suffer from a medical condition that inhibits glucose production.
/QUOTE]
This argument is moot and pointless.
Do you want me to point out all people who smoke and don't have symptoms? The ammount of people who drink a glass of alcohol per day that don't have hepatocelular carcinoma?
In medicine it doesn't matter how many people do something and don't get consequences; this is not how medicine studies work. What it matter is if the people that are doing a certain thing have a higher risk of the consequence then not doing the previous thing. In short low carb diet has more risk of developing health problems then doing a "normal" healthy diet (normal means following the food wheel, NOT what ever is USUAL for your culture to eat).
At the very least can we agree that unless a new diet has less risk then our balanced diet should still be the first recommendation?

It's another garbage survey-based observational epidemiology waste of time.

Do you truly think that anyone could answer such a survey with any degree of accuracy? It's completely asinine. Most people can't even recall what they ate for dinner a few days ago, but they were checking in on these people several years apart and asking them to recall specific foods and report frequencies over spans of years at a time. You will get nothing of use from that.

Other than visit 1 and visit 3 (of six total), they did not actually look at carbohydrate intake, but instead just estimated the rest based on those two visits they did track and assumed things would largely stay the same. I mean, I already said any answers to a crazy survey like this would be trash, so maybe plugging in guesstimates for carbohydrate values is just a good, but either way, you're just accumulating garbage non-data.

If you disagree with lancet you are free to contact them so they can withdraw the "trash" article.
Personally, while being a critic is fine, those seem like the right attitudes to do when studying nutrition. When you are heavily limited on what you can do, you do the best you can; which is what this appears to me. Withdrawing non healthy patients from the study group makes senses as well using what people remember that they have eaten. I mean who has the resources to actually see/evaluate what people eat at every meal?
Yes, the study could be better drawn but this argument can be done for ALL studies. Your counterpoint shouldn't be just that a study is bad but also that X study /review/meta-analysis proves the contrary.

If You could have drawn and execute a better study why not do it and publish it with lancet/BMJ,etc?
If you don't have the resources or the ability to do it why call the hard work of others "trash"?

My point for that study is an example of why i think people shouldn't be following keto diet instead of a balanced diet. I ask again for sources, i'd prefer a regulatory body that recomends a keto diet above the recomended diet.

Finally, look in the table of the different groups of participants. Their lowest carb intake group is at 37% of kcal intake as carbohydrate. Their kcal intake was as low as 1558 kcal. 37% of that is 144g of carbohydrate. That is not a low-carb diet in any camp.
Sir/madam, those numbers are correct!!!!
The recommended carb intake is 45- 55% of the daily calorie intake. It is also recomendes a minimum intake of 1500Kcal so that you don't miss any micronutrients. So any diet below 45% carbohydrates is, by definition, a low carb diet.
Those numbers are exactly what should be expected in a health study.

Any part of nutrition? That's nonsense. You're basically saying that stuff like sugar and alcohol need to also not be ignored.
Your comment is dishonest. When i say any part of nutrition we both know i'm talking about this:
roda_alimentos.png

Is sugar or alcohol there?

What insulin dosage? If you're treating diabetic patients, then yes, they absolutely need to work with their doctor to ease off their insulin dosages if they want to try low-carb. I wasn't initially referring to people who were already shooting themselves up with insulin.
insulin does not equal diabetic patient. I can tell you that those patients usually have hyperglycemia thus it is "hard" to make an hypoglicemia; unless we are super agressive with the dosages.
The patients i'm talking about are, for example, the hypercaliemia ones, which usually have normal glycemias and it is relatively hard , with my experience, to predict their response to insulin. I had a few that even with dextrose were still getting hypoglycemic.

My point still stands : If the body, like you say, could produce glucose as needed, I wouldn't need to be careful with the dosage of insulin would I?
The body could just compensate it!

No, we can't produce fiber on our own. Personally, I'm skeptical of the need for dietary fiber in the first place, but that's a separate topic.
F2.large.jpg

(source)

The data proves to fibers being good for you but you chose to not believe it; you last post is exactly why i won't comment further.
What is the point of a discussion when there is a HUGE ammount of data showing something is good for you but you are going to choose to ignore it?

Your first comments says the human body can produce carbohydrate as needed. Carbohydrates include fibers; so your first comment where you say "dietary carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient and that the body produces as much glucose as necessary. " should be read "Do note that dietary small carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient since the body can produce glucose. "

All of that post and you didn't even mention this:
- why you didn't post a single source? if you were talking, IRL, with a doctor you would not show a single source and yet expect him to believe you over what he spends a lot of time studying?
- Also what do you think it will happen with the increased meat intake (which usually includes red meat)?

all the questions are rhetoric. for you to think further on the subject, as i will not post further;
What is nonsense is me wasting my time on this discussion when for you Insulin= diabetes mellitus type 2; carbohydrates =/ from fibers; Alcohol is part of a normal nutrition; fibers might not be needed in diet; etc.
The barrier, IMO, is too great for a discussion. If you want to learn what is current practice, i took the time to upload some foundation classes on nutrition for doctors (1;2) they were made by doctorate professor in CHUC, Portugal. Specialist in intern medicine + subspeciality in nutrition; head of the nutrition department.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it worked for you!

But how do you know that it wasn't just the weight loss that helped you to feel better?

The problem with saying you experienced health benefits and attributing them to CICO, is you'd also have to regain the weight and lose the weight via a different eating plan to see if those same health markers improved or not.

Anyway, I said it in my post, I ate very well. Fresh lean meats, good veggies, and the good unrefined carbs that you're supposed to eat. Plus fruits and things like that too. Basically the standard "balanced" diet, in a calorie deficit. I didn't feel good. And nowhere near as good as I felt within the first couple of weeks on keto/low carb, and for 8 solid years since.

As for the calorie goal being too low, this was over ten years ago so I can't give you the exact details, but I definitely tracked that kind of thing and made the proper adjustments as necessary.
I didn't attribute any health benefits to CICO, I said I didn't feel like shit whilst doing it, any health benefits I experienced were from the weight loss and exercise, would never state otherwise.