• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In 1999, Jim Carrey portrayed his idol Andy Kaufman in "Man on the Moon." For twenty years, the behind-the-scenes footage has been withheld…until now. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - With a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton premieres November 17th, only on Netflix.

This is a few days old but I don't think it's been posted on here yet.

Anyway, he has said some dumb stuff in the past about vaccination but there's no denying that he's an incredible person and that his films have put a smile on many peoples' faces. I can't wait personally.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, he was really great in that. Looking forward to it.

And lol at the Clifton mention

Webonair

Nov 14, 2017
Just finished it and it was really fascinating. The part where he was in character as Andy around his actual family was really bizarre but if they got any kind of comfort out of it then who am I to judge?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
What a great doc. watched it last night and found it fascinating, humorous and heart felt. Carey is a very unique character.

Oct 31, 2017
Loved it. You could tell how annoyed some of them were because he never turned Andy off.

I've been keeping tabs on Carrey's evolution to present-day Carrey, but man seeing his eyes in this showed me a man that is completely at peace with letting go of his old self. There's also alot of pain there.

I read some comments where they found Carrey insufferable, but I disagree.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I watched this last night too, what a weird and captivating movie.

This whole thing straddled the line between cringe and heartwarming in an INSANE way. Carey seems to regard his imitator career with quite a bit of self-loathing. For him to "become Andy" in order to play him, seems like a volontary psychosis to justify it to himself to take on a role of imitating Kaufman. Like, imagine being loved by the masses for doing the broadest comedy possible, but then taking refuge in the skin of someone known for his offbeat and subdued performances. I can understand how he felt like a phony, and came out more fucked up then he went in.

I am really digging the 2017 nihilist Jim Carey, but he definitely needs help.

I've been keeping tabs on Carrey's evolution to present-day Carrey, but man seeing his eyes in this showed me a man that is completely at peace with letting go of his old self. There's also alot of pain there.

I highly recommend you watching the Norm McDonald show with Carrey from this past october. He might seem serene in the movie, but that is just an act. He still clearly loves making people laugh, but he hates himself for it, comparing it to a dog getting a treat.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I watched this last night too, what a weird and captivating movie.

This whole thing straddled the line between cringe and heartwarming in an INSANE way. Carey seems to regard his imitator career with quite a bit of self-loathing. For him to "become Andy" in order to play him, seems like a volontary psychosis to justify it to himself to take on a role of imitating Kaufman. Like, imagine being loved by the masses for doing the broadest comedy possible, but then taking refuge in the skin of someone known for his offbeat and subdued performances. I can understand how he felt like a phony, and came out more fucked up then he went in.

I am really digging the 2017 nihilist Jim Carey, but he definitely needs help.

I highly recommend you watching the Norm McDonald show with Carrey from this past october. He might seem serene in the movie, but that is just an act. He still clearly loves making people laugh, but he hates himself for it, comparing it to a dog getting a treat.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. I just hope he finds what he's looking for.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about weird period Carrey we have to discuss

His weird fashion week interview/ He had an old girlfriend that killed herself a couple years back and it's clearly taking a tole on him.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh my god when he's arguing with the actor playing his dad and the makeup girl starts crying and starman is playing. Jesus Christ

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's interesting that all of my movies I named when Jim said the palm reader made her predictions were wrong. off by at least five years. Truman show, man on the moon, and eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind are his untouchable performances imo

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
As talented as Jim Carrey is, he would be an absolute pain in the ass to work with. I'm pretty sure even the kids from Lemony Snicket's called him out on it. You've got to be pretty bad when even the child actors think you're a pain in the ass.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the movie, but this was about twice as long as it needed to be. We get it, he was Andy. Thing is, Jim Carrey didn't invent method acting and if anything it made me feel bad for all the actors and crew members around him. An academy award winning director had to beg him to get certain shots.

Carrey and Zmuda laughing about people potentially suing the production ruined it for me.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the movie, but this was about twice as long as it needed to be. We get it, he was Andy. Thing is, Jim Carrey didn't invent method acting and if anything it made me feel bad for all the actors and crew members around him. An academy award winning director had to beg him to get certain shots.

Carrey and Zmuda laughing about people potentially suing the production ruined it for me.

I think the thing that makes this case special is that it wasn't that Carrey was trying to inhabit the character so much as he seemed to believe that a dead celebrity was in possession of him, and when you get family involved that leads to a whole host of ethical questions.

Even if you disagree with Carrey's method, it still a fascinating study of psychology.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I thought the film was fascinating in seeing what Jim Carey put himself and the whole cast and crew through while making Man On The Moon. I understand the whole method actor theory and such and actors like Brando and Day-Lewis and famous for using it, but there is something amazing hearing Jim talk about the performance. I know that when the film came out that his performance was called an impersonation of Andy more than an actual dramatic performance.

In the interview sections, Jim comes across charming and occasionally says some very profound and insightful things. The onset footage shows a very different person. Insisting on being called his characters names and never breaking character, even around Andy's family. Some of it is brutal and hard to watch. He is nothing short of an obnoxious, unhinged, temperamental asshole. Especially when he plays Tony Clifton. There are many times when I feel sorry for the crew and his costars. Outside of the craft of acting, there is a serious case to be made for Carrey being committed. He seems legitimately insane. That being said so did Andy and maybe Jim had to do that in order to temporarily become him.

The only fault I can identify with Jim's performance is that there was a sweetness about Andy and his funny antics. There is a dark anger in Jim which occasionally leaks out. Still, I think Jim got as close as anyone could to capturing Andy.

Here's a video comparing Jim's performance with Andy's.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
that was a wonderful documentary

what happened to jim carrey? after truman show, man in the moon and eternal spotlight I was sure he would become one of the greatest, why did he stop caring?

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017

what happened to jim carrey? after truman show, man in the moon and eternal spotlight I was sure he would become one of the greatest, why did he stop caring?
I think he just got tired of the Hollywood phony BS and just wants to lead an honest life. It may not be entertaining but he does not have to always be on. Nothing wrong with just walking away sometimes. This was a great documentary.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey throughout childhood. It wasn't until I got older that I decided most of what he did was obnoxious and unfunny. I will always love him for the good acting he did after the huge comedies though. Eternal Sunshine is brilliant but I think it mostly shows how a strong script and visionary director can push things to the next level.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Every public appearance of his that I've seen recently seem like he's tiny depressive episode away from doing something terrible. He seems so wildly on the edge of faking normality after classic bipolar syndromes. It doesn't help that he doesn't believe in medication.

Will this documentary make me even more anxious about his mental health?

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was the greatest heartbreak I could have ever watched. Andy Kaufman is my hero, he is literally my favorite comedian of them all and very much influenced me to who I am today. Jim Carry was my childhood favorite comedian, and he'll always hold a place in my heart. But this felt sick, Jim Carry was a very sick man and it's so painful to know. I went from laughing with Jim to actually hating him for what he did to my icon. But by the end, I felt nothing but pity. I say sick alot, but that's the only word that comes to my mind. Jim was sick, the fact that Andy Kaufman and his family went through this feels gross to me.

Hell it might be beautiful but him hugging the parents pretending to be Andy really hurts. Andy wasn't a character, and Jim playing him didn't fully understand Andy is the irony of it. Use the wrestler as an example, Jim as Andy could never understand what Andy was going through and took it as a personal hatred and shit got way out of hand. The ultimate irony is the two couldn't be more different as people. Jim is a dark man, he needed help but was scared to ever seek it (which is so common in art it's horrific), Andy was a man that loved what he did and had a childlike innocence in everything he touched. Both are insanely talented, both will remain legends for comedy. I might need time to sort out what the movie is dishing out.

OP
OP
Compsiox

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched it yet but from what you guys are saying he went way too far with the concept of staying in character.

Did anyone try to stop him?

Oct 27, 2017
I think he just got tired of the Hollywood phony BS and just wants to lead an honest life. It may not be entertaining but he does not have to always be on. Nothing wrong with just walking away sometimes. This was a great documentary.

I think it's a little more than just getting sick of phony BS. Dude has suffered with depression for a long time, and there's definitely a tinge of that in his recent appearances.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was something.

I come expecting a look on method performane that went to far, but in the end we got a unique view on Jim Carrey himself, and how his role as Andy, in which he became another person, he became Andy, reflected on Jim. it was heartwarming as crushing, seeing how Jim, while having this insightful look on his life also shows an empty man, who for too much played a persona to be liked. A contrast to Kaufman, which definetly was someone that wasn't obsessed to be liked.

At this point it feels like Jim Carrey will never act again, which is a shame, he's an awesome actor.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting doc. Jim's whole take on what it means to be "Jim Carrey" in 2017 was a lot more interesting than I was expecting it to be. I must say, I thought a lot of the stuff when he would get into character as Andy and refuse to break was hard to watch at times. Some of that stuff came off as incredibly mean spirited like the Lawler stuff and when he met Kaufmann's family. It was just really uncomforable and I feel Carrey took it too far at times. I can see why the studio didn't want it getting out. It really makes Carrey look really bad but that's also what makes the doc so interesting.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why "Andy" was so hostile to Lawler when he wasn't in real life. It felt like Carrey was channeling the TV heel persona rather than the actual guy for that relationship.

OP
OP
Compsiox

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was something.

I come expecting a look on method performane that went to far, but in the end we got a unique view on Jim Carrey himself, and how his role as Andy, in which he became another person, he became Andy, reflected on Jim. it was heartwarming as crushing, seeing how Jim, while having this insightful look on his life also shows an empty man, who for too much played a persona to be liked. A contrast to Kaufman, which definetly was someone that wasn't obsessed to be liked.

At this point it feels like Jim Carrey will never act again, which is a shame, he's an awesome actor.
nonsense. his new show on showtime.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I think rumor has it his recent "wierd" interviews is him prepping again his style of method acting for an upcomming movie about a comedian.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The documentary was better than the original movie, which was just a recitation of Kaufman's greatest hits and didn't tell you anything about the man. The documentary reveals a lot of about Jim Carrey the man, both when he thought he was pretending to be Kaufman/Clifton and in 2017. The greatest reveal for me was why Man on the Moon was so shallow and disappointing: because Carrey was method-acting as Kaufman's characters rather than Kaufman himself.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Because people care too much about silly stuff.
He's not crazy. He's probably pretty sane even. He just lives in a crazy world. Once that gets to you, it's hard to participate in a normal way. He's doing fine imo, from what i've seen.
He already IS one of the greatest.

Anyway, will watch this tonight!!

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I watched this in a different way than a lot of you, like I watched it not totally convinced that it was all an act on Jim's part. I watched it kind of as "Maybe Kaufman did come back and possess him". sort of thing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking about weird period Carrey we have to discuss

His weird fashion week interview/ He had an old girlfriend that killed herself a couple years back and it's clearly taking a tole on him.

I absolutely adore this clip and I think it's genuinely disheartening that the most a lot of people will take from it is that he's kooky. He's so correct, these events are utterly meaningless and it's great fun to watch him point at the emperor's new clothes a bit.

To me, the man is wealthy beyond need, very intelligent and very sensitive. That sounds like a great recipe to be able to see past the weird Hollywood reality into the void of nothingness that is really there.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore this clip and I think it's genuinely disheartening that the most a lot of people will take from it is that he's kooky. He's so correct, these events are utterly meaningless and it's great fun to watch him point at the emperor's new clothes a bit.

To me, the man is wealthy beyond need, very intelligent and very sensitive. That sounds like a great recipe to be able to see past the weird Hollywood reality into the void of nothingness that is really there.

There's being able to see through things, and then there's going to a fashion event and telling a tv host she doesn't exist.

Also he kept hammering this point home on his Norm MacDonald appearance too, so it wasn't just a gag.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's being able to see through things, and then there's going to a fashion event and telling a tv host she doesn't exist.

Also he kept hammering this point home on his Norm MacDonald appearance too, so it wasn't just a gag.

I'm still with Jim on this ;)

Going to watch this doc tonight with the Mrs who is the biggest Man On the Moon fan. Can't wait.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
People throwing around "sick" i
This was the greatest heartbreak I could have ever watched. Andy Kaufman is my hero, he is literally my favorite comedian of them all and very much influenced me to who I am today. Jim Carry was my childhood favorite comedian, and he'll always hold a place in my heart. But this felt sick, Jim Carry was a very sick man and it's so painful to know. I went from laughing with Jim to actually hating him for what he did to my icon. But by the end, I felt nothing but pity. I say sick alot, but that's the only word that comes to my mind. Jim was sick, the fact that Andy Kaufman and his family went through this feels gross to me.

Hell it might be beautiful but him hugging the parents pretending to be Andy really hurts. Andy wasn't a character, and Jim playing him didn't fully understand Andy is the irony of it. Use the wrestler as an example, Jim as Andy could never understand what Andy was going through and took it as a personal hatred and shit got way out of hand. The ultimate irony is the two couldn't be more different as people. Jim is a dark man, he needed help but was scared to ever seek it (which is so common in art it's horrific), Andy was a man that loved what he did and had a childlike innocence in everything he touched. Both are insanely talented, both will remain legends for comedy. I might need time to sort out what the movie is dishing out.

You did say 'sick' a lot and it is fairly unfortunate. I respect your love of Andy but unless you have credentialed experience in diagnosing some one as 'sick' you might want to think about it because it is rather unfair to project that term onto someone you don't know or have treated or to project how you think Andy himself would feel about Jim's very alternative method for this film.

Jim is very candid about his serious depression issues but that might inform his ability to so geniusly access emotions but his depression isn't the defining part of it. A lot of it is other wordly skill.

Method acting in the present, as witnessed live, can be extremely effing uncomfortable and off putting so I completely get how troubling it is sometimes. That said, Andy's family actually had more of a problem with the eventual film as viewed than the Jim Carrey or his dedication to nail it. They were displeased with the final product to say the least.

Also: Carrey has been into the new age, transcendal, spiritual, dimension hopping scene for so many years. He has led a pretty regular conference about it at the Saban theater in Beverly Hills (which I've gone) and it is all pretty wild fascinating stuff. This is all Way before the recent tragedy with his girlfriend who died so all that was never the catalyst. His foundation Better U is all about that. I think it's just recently he has decided to go much more publically with it. And hats off to him for being and saying what he wants.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im guessing I should watch Man on the Moon before watching the documentary, right?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I wonder if part of the reason Carrey is such an asshole to fans in public is because he's in character.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Added to playlist. Carrey is an amazing actor and comedian and MotM is one of the best films of recent times. Can't wait!