• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think that quote is just saying they're not making or supporting Vita's anymore, which as he said, is obvious. They're probably not making another dedicated handheld either, but that's not what he said.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the very least it manage to outsell the Wii U no?

They possibly shipped that many or stuck them in a warehouse or landfill somewhere, but the two platforms were such catastrophic business failures that sold relatively close to one another so it really doesn't matter which one was second to last in the most recent failed console list.

Dec 2, 2017

dead2.gif

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Should put the original source of the Game Informer interview.

In the same article, Kutaragi never wanted to enter the portable marktet and it was House and marketing that pushed for it.
Kutaragi thought mobile would take over that market anyways

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The thread title and the quote do not line up. They're clearly not in the portable console business like Nintendo, but that doesn't mean that some day they won't make another handheld. They're just not doing one right now. And yes Vita was bitterly hated for no good reason. Gaming on it feels like Switch which is well loved.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
But Supermetaldave told me Sony will announce a Switch like device at Tokyo Game Show in 2017. :(

Jokes aside I think it's for the best. Sony is doing an outstanding job with the console business and they should put all their focus on that segment.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Why waste resources on a market Nintendo has cornered? VR is much more interesting side venture, anyway.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would have been another failure so not worth it by any means.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
That's OK. They haven't supported a handheld since year one of the Vita anyway. PSP will always be their greatest achievement.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Wouldn't stop them from building a hybrid console that is as powerful as ps4 when docked tho

Streaming will be their portable console.

I would love a PS Switch, but it couldn't be very powerful.
A hybrid as powerful as a PS4 when docked should be possible next year. Sony is willing to take a loss at launch too. 399 US dollars

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I sort of hope MS releases one then. I'd like a sleek adult portable. I don't like phone gaming due to 🔋 drain. I almost bought a Vita so many times but the custom memory cards kept turning me away.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I dont okay away from home, but it does feel like I would use a device to play Death Stranding when I'm just doing deliveries or P5/Witcher 3 when I'm grinding/leveling up on the go. I wish there was a way for Sony to make a profitable handheld, but it doesn't seem like they could compete with Nintendo here. The design of PS in the handheld space was greatly appreciated, I really can't say the last Nintnedo console I thought was cool to look at or hold.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I might have picked one up, but there was too much stupid shit associated with it so I never bothered.

No l2 and r2. These proprietary memory cards charging a stupid fucking price. Gimmicks galore with back touch and front touch and 2 cameras? I'm sure those gimmicks drove the price up. And they probably should have stuck to lcd to drive the price down. The thing was too pricey and I didn't have faith in Sony to make good software for it. If it was cheaper, I probably would have taken the gamble.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
*Whispers* I've played my Vita more than my Switch this year.

Give me a remote play only version for PS5 with controller grips!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved my PSP to death, I barely touched my Vita. It's too bad the system wasn't as successful.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Notice the "now" though. He never said, "that we'll never be a part of again". I can still believe.

Aug 27, 2018
Honest question, were there people that actually expected them to make another handheld? After the financial failure of the Vita (the system itself was rad) I had just assumed they would never make another one.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Vita is still a great machine. Ps1 games plus psp, plus some good vita games plus being able to play your ps4 games on the go with internet connection? Still a great handheld.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad but streaming is coming to take over so I'm not surprised. We can use our cell phones now.