• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reckon we'll see some kind of Sony device for the purposes of streaming PS5 games in the future. It's just dedicated handhelds that are done.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Sony support to their latest handheld was borderline disrespectful to their customers.

I don't think the confidence of the users for another portable machine from Sony is there...

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Vita is one of my personal GOATs, but this isn't surprising alas, it flopped hard and there's no market besides Nintendo there. Better focus on PS5 and PSVR2.

I wonder if Nintendo can court the weird niche Vita games in Japan, or if they'll move to PS4.
At the very least, they've been targeting both Switch and PS4 with those kinds of games. The whole Sony censorship situation makes it essential for them to have an "uncut" version available, and regardless of which side of the fence you fall on that given the kinds of games that it's impacting the most, they'd be crazy not to spread the love for that reason alone.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Good. I'd prefer they focus on one machine.

I'd also prefer Nintendo only ever works on one device too. And I prefer their device be portable.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My vita is still the first thing I grab when I'm packing my entertainment shit for travel.
Used to be my first choice too, but now my Switch has taken that spot as it's the only time I use it as a portable.
Good. I'd prefer they focus on one machine.

I'd also prefer Nintendo only ever works on one device too. And I prefer their device be portable.
Same, only that I'd rather Nintendo focused on a home console instead of a portable-only device, which is why I'm fine with the Switch form factor.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see streaming as a threat to switch like hybrid. Actually it's a boon. Switch 2 could be around a 2TF docked device and use streaming to expand the kind of content available to it

Having a portable device with that much power on board is not going to be a negative . It will allow lots of PC games to continue running natively in handheld mode without the need for internet .

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, doesn't matter. I still play the Binding of Isaac Rebirth on my Vita everyday. It is also my portable Ninja Gaiden machine. Great place for many excellent indie games, too. At this rate, I'll be using my Vita until its battery is completely dead!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So the mid tier games (previously made on Vita) will continue being on Switch only. At least they get to live on there.

Still, I loved PSP and really liked Vita, so end of an era.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
definitely disappointed. hopefully they dont rule out a streaming handheld at least in the future

Oct 30, 2017
Streaming will never replace portables. The chances of that happening are even smaller than the chances of streaming replacing home consoles.
Yeah I never claimed so. But rather, the existence of streaming can still in some ways cater to those who want to play their favorite games away from their living room. So ultimately, they will be fine even if a hole console only strategy forgoes certain ways to play games.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I might have picked one up, but there was too much stupid shit associated with it so I never bothered.

No l2 and r2. These proprietary memory cards charging a stupid fucking price. Gimmicks galore with back touch and front touch and 2 cameras? I'm sure those gimmicks drove the price up. And they probably should have stuck to lcd to drive the price down. The thing was too pricey and I didn't have faith in Sony to make good software for it. If it was cheaper, I probably would have taken the gamble.
Front touch and cameras are hardly gimmicks. A lot of games uses the front touch, or at least supports it. Its pretty much a standard feaure handheld devices like that. The cameras werent really used that much, but the Vita had support for Skype, so it was a nice addition for those who wanted to use that. The cameras were also of lower quality, so i dont think they drove the price up that much (i guess maybe you're talking about every features and not just the cameras, but i'm just mentioning the cameras as a seperate thing). I agree with the back touchpad being a gimmick however. An interesting idea, and it could have some nice features, but it wasnt used much. I also would have welcomed L2/R2 buttons, although it wasnt a huge deal, in my opinion.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
source.gif
I'll never understand why her wink is so peculiar. It's just odd to look at.

Nov 11, 2017
Aa a vita owner I'm not surprised, Sonys major stufips barely supported the device themselves which was disappointing. as game become more expensive the likelihood of them making another has decreases significantly. Only so much indies can carry.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have to look up the last Vita game I bought...

Edit: It was VA-11 Hall-A back in January 2018 lol

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Welp good to know you're worse then google when it comes to dropping support for something.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Their VR line replaced their budget that was given to the portable line me thinks.
I'll miss the PS(insert portable tag). I loved how it at least pushed Nintendo to do things.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Shame, because they make some excellent devices, but they struggled to support it with just 2 devices to juggle, a home console, VR and a portable system would probably not end well. It'd flop regardless too most likely.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sad but entirely expected. Nintendo has always dominated that market even before the Switch's huge success. Trying to compete with them now would be like trying to break a hole in a brick wall by hitting it with a wet paper napkin.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Never would've thought Sony would give up the handheld market to Nintendo. But since they put all there eggs in PSVR, they like the chances that the eggs won't crack or break since no competition. RIP Vita. I might dust you off one last time.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well.

I guess in five years or so we might be in a world where streaming is much more advanced and internet will be everywhere which means that we will get handhelds anyway.

Atleast I hope so...

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

sure, maybe in 2027 they can make that device.
I'm willing to bet A 7nm EUV chip with a brand new and significantly more efficient architecture than 2011-2012 tech will be possible to match base PS4 in GPU, with similar thermals to the switch, at least if it's nvidia. 1.3 TFLOPs in GPU in the latest tech is all it takes. Worst case scenario is 15 watts in docked.

Switch V2 is running 16nm finfet, and it should be able clock to 600GFLOPs with similar power draw as V1, if Nintendo allowed it. When you add in better efficiency per flop and mixed precision, the Switch V2 should be able to perform at 50% of base PS4 in GPU based on speeds at least

And going from 16nm+ to 7nm EUV is going to be a big jump in efficiency and power. At least 2x.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Excellent hardware. Best dpad next to Saturn. Piss poor support from Sony's internal studios compared to PSP. If they can't or won't throw their own AAA studios at it, it's best not to try again.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, duh.

I loved the Vita but it failed so hard, Sony would be insane to want to release a new handheld.