• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 5 hours, 51 minutes, 49 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Jim Ryan: “Vita was brilliant in many ways, and the actual gaming experience was great, but clearly it’s a business that we’re no longer in”

Ozzie

Jan 12, 2018
From Game Informer:

Here's the quote:
'PlayStation Vita was brilliant in many ways, and the actual gaming experience was great, but clearly it’s a business that we’re no longer in now'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
The Ocean
Vita meant life

edit: Out of context quote because o can’t see more than that one pull quote but does he mean handheld gaming or just Vita as a platform. Cause never say never and all that.

Nov 3, 2017
The Vita was great, I'd still say better than the Switch

All you have to do is support it and not kneecap it with the memory card bullshit and it'd be easy money

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Shame, I always thought that their designs were the best. Switch is really good but the Vita and PSP were really sleek. I also liked the size more but that has more to do with tech than Sony. It looks like Nintendo will remain the uncontested king of handhelds for the rest of their existence.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
When you can just stream games to any device, investing in dedicated high-end hardware is probably not worth it for Sony. Smart move.

Oct 30, 2017
As streaming becomes more popular, the need for a dedicated portable decreases. People have and will have more options to play their games on the go. Obviously not like a true portable system. But Sony can still offer playable experiences away from the living room setup.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
sensible decision, they can't compete in that market. better to stick with what they're good at, which is home consoles.

Jul 28, 2019
As streaming becomes more popular, the need for a dedicated portable decreases. People have and will have more options to play their games on the go. Obviously not like a true portable system. But Sony can still offer playable experiences away from the living room setup.
Streaming will never replace portables. The chances of that happening are even smaller than the chances of streaming replacing home consoles.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like the quote and the title of the OP could kind of be seen as different things.

Not that I think they'll make another handheld any time soon.
Yeah, I read that quote as them admitting that they dumped Vita and moved on.

Not that I expect them to make another handheld anytime soon either, as much as I would love it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They make phones, and Playstation compatible ones. I got Xperia because of it. DS4 native support, and remote play, it's very nice especially steam link, and other remote streaming apps like moonlight (nvidia's too). There's no need for more portable playstation only devices.