• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
This would've made me sad at one point. I have a slim and oled Vita and I love them, but the Switch has gone above and beyond what the Vita ever could've been.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm not a handheld player. I love my Vita's library, but the hardware never left my house and I preferred to play most of those games on PS4/PS3 instead. Even my Switch stays docked.

That said, I hope Sony is not just resting on the laurels of the PS4's success. I hope they still try to diversify their platforms in meaningful ways. Streaming and VR got a long way to go to be more important than handhelds in the ecosystem.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gaming is already so fractured today. To fracture your own base and organization with a second focus further seems like a terrible idea.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
hahahaha-this-sucks-man-3187140.png

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Owning a second vita just because i liked the thing enough to keep spare cables and maybe some homebrew down the line. Support and passion came from fans and not Sony's team in the latter years and memory cards suck all the way. Unless they'd go all in with a plan there wouldn't be a future for a Vita 2.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Curious to see how Switch lite sells over the long term vs the standard Switch, loved Vita, wonder how it would of fared if they had Monster Hunter???

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Not that I expected a follow-up, but still, the Vita was a fab machine with a great library.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I personally think the Switch does almost all of what the Vita did but better, almost all of the interesting indie games it had have been ported to the Switch plus many new games, many of the niche japanese games also have been ported plus many new games, it has had some western titles, something the Vita barely had at all, and even the Sony lineup wasn't very typical of them, many cartoony and anime games, and that's not something Nintendo doesn't do, so aside from missing the console for how confortable it was I have no idea why anyone would miss the Vita so badly.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Kill off VR and invest towards a PSP3 instead.

With FB buying out the Beat Saber IP, there's no future for VR anyway

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Shot through the heart And you're to blame! Sony you give love a bad name!!!

RIP VITA 2/PSP 3....

At least we have the switch.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone as they sort of gave up on the market years ago when they pulled support for the Vita. Even if they decided to put out another one, third parties would be even less inclined to jump in. Still, I think the Vita deserved better.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His quote seems to be specific to the Vita, IMO. Like "we're no longer in the business of making Vita content or Vita hardware". Time will tell if they really are giving up on portables for good, but I don't think so.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda wild to think back to when everyone expected the PSP to crush the DS.

what's wilder is people in the Vita TV announcement thread at the old forum, saying that the Vita TV will revive the Vita. Duckroll even said Vita TV is a gamechanger and how "Sony single-handedly saved the Vita's future" if i recall.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019

It's not surprising. Launch aligned, the PSP was outselling the DS for the first couple of years. The thing about the DS was that it didn't really take off until the Lite revision was released, which came out about a year and a half after launch.

It also didn't help that the DS was sold as a "third pillar" platform separate from the Game Boy Advance and not a successor to it (which was quite plausible as the GBA was only 3 years old when the DS launched, and the GBA SP only 1 year), which made Nintendo seem uncommitted to it.

Plus, in 2005 when the PSP came out, there was really nothing like it. It was basically a portable PS2 that could play games, browse the web, play movies and MP3s, and do a lot of the things we expect of phones now, honestly (except for making calls, though Skype was added in later on). It was very futuristic at the time, and Sony had come off of 2 generations of crushing the competition. The PS1 revolutionized gaming, and was the best selling console of all time by that point. The expectation was that by bringing discs to a handheld like the PS1 did for consoles, they'd be once again revolutionizing things and crushing the competition.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but from someone living in 2004 the PSP seemed like the far safer bet.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with that. I have massive backlogs for PSP, Vita and NDS family. Probably enough for a lifetime. And there are mobile games, too.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
It was a wonderful little device and I've had some great times with it, but it just couldn't compete with the 3DS's library.
I mostly keep it around to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Dissidia on, lol

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't need a handheld console. Just a Vita/Switch like tablet with controls attached + 5G. A "cheap" streaming device.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, considering the Vita's failure. Of course, said failure can be blamed on Sony in the first place, what with the system's flaws and the meager first-party support. However, despite all that, I still enjoyed using the Vita.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news! With tablets/ cellphones being used as a second screen, the Vita was going to die a certain death.. and Im glad. Jim, let's just throw more money at your first party, keep making great PS5 games and you'll keep me in your ecosystem.
Ninty owns the portable games market, you can't top them there.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still own both the OLED and the no-LED models and I don't think I've ever had devices that I wanted to use this bad with devs giving me so little reason to. The PSP backlog was fantastic, however the lack of R2 and L2 made playing some PSone games a goddamn hassle. I'm "glad" Sony isn't making a followup the same way Nintendo didn'y make a pure home console. I couldn't take another half-assed attempt from either.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If Sony can't get their top first party studios to support the handheld then its better this way. Vita was great but the support beyond the first 2 years just wasn't there and its a shame because the support was strong at first. PS4 releasing almost 2 years later probably didn't help and even then I think they messed up by trying to sell it as a companion to PS4 rather than its own thing.

Last edited:

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
My most love portable device with Gameboy... I still play on it actually... Now playing Persona 3 Dancing, and next will start again Suikoden 1&2... or maybe some of the new VN I have on the list.
Vita still means life for me!
OLED first version here! <3

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Sony sacrificing the Vita on the altar of VR.
Hope they will be happy...

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but from someone living in 2004 the PSP seemed like the far safer bet.
Unless you actually liked playing on Handhelds, in which case you would have known that without IPs that fit Handheld play, PSP had a uphill battle, regardless of how shiny and new the tech was.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
what's wilder is people in the Vita TV announcement thread at the old forum, saying that the Vita TV will revive the Vita. Duckroll even said Vita TV is a gamechanger and how "Sony single-handedly saved the Vita's future" if i recall.
Sony could announce Vita 2 tomorrow and half the announcement thread would be declaring the demise of the competition.