• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vita meant life

edit: Out of context quote because o can't see more than that one pull quote but does he mean handheld gaming or just Vita as a platform. Cause never say never and all that.

Nov 3, 2017
The Vita was great, I'd still say better than the Switch

All you have to do is support it and not kneecap it with the memory card bullshit and it'd be easy money

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Shame, I always thought that their designs were the best. Switch is really good but the Vita and PSP were really sleek. I also liked the size more but that has more to do with tech than Sony. It looks like Nintendo will remain the uncontested king of handhelds for the rest of their existence.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Would anyone buy one if they did? It makes no business sense to make a standalone handheld.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Better to stay focused on one system instead of developing for 2 systems so makes sense

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
PS Vita had the bad luck of coming out right before the VR initiative started at Sony.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Feel like the quote and the title of the OP could kind of be seen as different things.

Not that I think they'll make another handheld any time soon.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
When you can just stream games to any device, investing in dedicated high-end hardware is probably not worth it for Sony. Smart move.

Oct 30, 2017
As streaming becomes more popular, the need for a dedicated portable decreases. People have and will have more options to play their games on the go. Obviously not like a true portable system. But Sony can still offer playable experiences away from the living room setup.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sensible decision, they can't compete in that market. better to stick with what they're good at, which is home consoles.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Feels about right, nothing they could have done would have been able to top the Vita.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo can court the weird niche Vita games in Japan, or if they'll move to PS4.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
As streaming becomes more popular, the need for a dedicated portable decreases. People have and will have more options to play their games on the go. Obviously not like a true portable system. But Sony can still offer playable experiences away from the living room setup.
Streaming will never replace portables. The chances of that happening are even smaller than the chances of streaming replacing home consoles.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like the quote and the title of the OP could kind of be seen as different things.

Not that I think they'll make another handheld any time soon.
Yeah, I read that quote as them admitting that they dumped Vita and moved on.

Not that I expect them to make another handheld anytime soon either, as much as I would love it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They make phones, and Playstation compatible ones. I got Xperia because of it. DS4 native support, and remote play, it's very nice especially steam link, and other remote streaming apps like moonlight (nvidia's too). There's no need for more portable playstation only devices.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I mean that quote is just vague enough to say they're done with vita, without salting future soil.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Streaming will be their portable console.

I would love a PS Switch, but it couldn't be very powerful.

Nov 8, 2017
rwknyu50jmw11.png