• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
No ones fucking with the switch let's be real here, that markets cornered. Same way I don't see Nintendo making another dedicated home console.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Never would've thought Sony would give up the handheld market to Nintendo. But since they put all there eggs in PSVR, they like the chances that the eggs won't crack or break since no competition. RIP Vita. I might dust you off one last time.
Portable devices has gotten to the level where making games for them require a noticeably amount of work, so it takes a lot to support two different systems these days. Thats likely one reason why Sony wont make another portable device, and the same reason why Nintendo went from two system to one system.

Its a bit of a pity i think. PS Vita is my most played portable system (second being the Gameboy Advance), and i would easily have bought a successor.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Then buy a Japanese studio to get exclusive Japanese games again Sony.

I'm glad I have Vita though, it'll be the last way to play many PS games on a portable.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
In a way, its kind of a shame since the vita is better designed visually and ergonomically than any Nintendo handheld

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't say they won't ever, just that they aren't now but yeah :/

id buy a dedicated Remote Play /PS Now device with a screen for $150. Or better yet a PS4 Switch in a few years when 5nm is possible, but they'd need to move it to LP RAM and that may not be realistic

Welp good to know you're worse then google when it comes to dropping support for something.
What did you expect them to do? They threw damn near everything they could at it that could have reasonably have happened with their first-party makeup and even got third parties to license out their games to them for them to do the porting themselves, and you still couldn't pay folks to want a Vita. As many unforced errors the hardware had, the bottom line comes down to folks not wanting their Sony experience to be in a portable form factor any more.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad, but only a little bit. After their pathetic support for the Vita, it's probably for the best.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This is for the best, I'm tired of getting 2 handhelds every gen and developers making exclusives for both. one handheld is more than enough, and Switch is the true vision of (console games on the go), more than PSP or Vita ever hoped to be. now i have 1 console and 1 portable/hybrid and this is more than enough.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I protested its relative high end hardware all the way up to release. Hitting a low price was pivotal IMO.

Handhelds were successful as relative lower budget gaming and aiming premium might excite a few that wouldnt otherwise entertain handhelds, but I didnt think it would be able to catch fire. I still feel this way and maintain that it was one of its issues. Even the 3DS tried pricing too high and had the market slap it down.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As streaming becomes more popular, the need for a dedicated portable decreases. People have and will have more options to play their games on the go. Obviously not like a true portable system. But Sony can still offer playable experiences away from the living room setup.

curiously - or not - streaming works and will always work way better in a stationary spot than on the go, for obvious reasons

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I put a lot of hours into my vita but my lifestyle is such now that I have no need for a handheld. So from a selfish point of view I'm glad they are going to concentrate on consoles only.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's for the best given how dominant Switch is and how half-hearted Vita support was. Just stick to what you do best PlayStation, it's all good.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Dec 2, 2017
The real story to me here is that there are still people who need this confirmed. The Vita was awesome but Sony bailed on it after like 2 years. It was third parties who kept it going. I don't think Sony have put out a handheld game in like half a decade.

Nov 8, 2017
Disappointing, but not surprising. There's no way I'm ever going to get the same entertainment value out of my Switch that I got out of my Vita.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
The only logical outcome. With smartphones and Nintendo around, it would've been impossible.
Only five people would have bought it.

The Vita was terrible anyway so it's not a big loss.
Whaaaat? Sure you don't mean terrible hardware right? Cause it was awesome in almost every way, except of course Sony had to fuck up with those shitty proprietary memory cards.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I have one for my 9 year old. It's more toylike then something the other 2 would produce though. Not slighting Switch owners. Plus having gamepass on the go would rock.
What in god's name make it more toylike then the others? Never mind that all consoles are essentially toys anyways. The switch was marketed almost exclueively to young adults for a year.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I would have been more surprised if they had plans to continue after Vita. Especially with Now being a thing.

Their home console outsold their handheld in Japan anyway so it was like a foregone conclusion.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
What did you expect them to do? They threw damn near everything they could at it that could have reasonably have happened with their first-party makeup and even got third parties to license out their games to them for them to do the porting themselves, and you still couldn't pay folks to want a Vita. As many unforced errors the hardware had, the bottom line comes down to folks not wanting their Sony experience to be in a portable form factor any more.
Doesn't help they made proprietary hardware for it and didn't even try swapping it in the maybe 6 versions of the device they made.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Remote Play/PSNow is probally their future, vs making dedicated hardware. I imagine for some games possibly they have some way to do the streaming that would allow offline use maybe?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Vita was an absolute disaster on all levels. Didn't help that Sony cut support just a few years in.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They did not or else they would have gotten their 1st party studios to take it seriously, Mario kart 7 was on 3DS before Mario kart 8 on wiiU/switch. If they wanted to compete with nintendo they should have had GOW4 on vita before they had GOW4 on PS4, they didn'T give the support needed for it to succeed.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
That's too bad.

I still play my Vita way more than my Switch. It's way more portable, so that helps.

I'll keep buying games on it and playing it until I clear my backlog. At the rate I'm going, that means I should be done around 2025 or so.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
At this point I'm just waiting for a tablet/handheld that can run Steam well so I have tonnes of cheap indie games playable on a handheld, maybe some game streaming with an nvidia card and emulation. That's all I want. I'm sure we'll get there. But it probably won't have a d-pad as good as vita's.

Vita was so damn good for the first year or two. I still take it for journeys. Spelunky, tetris etc. Great form factor and battery charge retention.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Another Sony handheld would be the laughing stock of the industry, makes no sense specially after the homerun that was the PS4

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
shame, the console had so much potential but never lived up to it. if only sony supported with more and better titles like uncharted GA, Killzone and assassins creed.

They did not or else they would have gotten their 1st party studios to take it seriously, Mario kart 7 was on 3DS before Mario kart 8 on wiiU/switch. If they wanted to compete with nintendo they should have had GOW4 on vita before they had GOW4 on PS4, they didn'T give the support needed for it to succeed.
The PSP didn't need mainline entries to succeed, so I don't buy that the lack of a Naughty Dog-developed Uncharted on Vita hurt the system much, and certainly not nearly as much as folks being plain uninterested in playing Uncharted on the go to begin with.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I protested its relative high end hardware all the way up to release. Hitting a low price was pivotal IMO.

Handhelds were successful as relative lower budget gaming and aiming premium might excite a few that wouldnt otherwise entertain handhelds, but I didnt think it would be able to catch fire. I still feel this way and maintain that it was one of its issues. Even the 3DS tried pricing too high and had the market slap it down.
The PSP had high-end hardware that no other device could match and was a success, the Vita had 08/15 smartphone hardware that was far from state of the art.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The PSP didn't need mainline entries to succeed, so I don't buy that the lack of a Naughty Dog-developed Uncharted on Vita hurt the system much, and certainly not nearly as much as folks being plain uninterested in playing Uncharted on the go to begin with.
PSP succeeded mostly in Japan and mostly off the back of 3rd parties, most notably monster hunter. Otherwise the PSP was known for being bought for the hardware and then people pirating the games for it.
Sony actually gave more support to PSP in terms of 1st party offerings.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I am surprise. What memorable game it has, besides the gimmicky-fest Uncharted?

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I will always hold a grudge against the Vita. I had a Xperia Play phone and it was absolutely wonderful. But Sony had no interest in supporting it, favoring the Vita over it, and after about 2 years they were taken off the market.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely payed off for them to scrap it, so yeah can't blame them. Nintendo wasn't good at supporting two platforms with software, Sony isn't either.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Vita was mind blowing day 1, uncharted on a handheld D:
I also loved killzone and the call of duty game was legit an arcade game where the shotgun was op af

Oct 27, 2017
Vita was both ahead of its time and behind the curve simultaneously. Kind of strange in hindsight.

I can't say I'm too bothered by them not attempting something like it again, even though I still have mine and quite enjoy it.

Oct 1, 2019
I love my PSP and PS Vita, they are amazing systems. But if this makes SIE focus on PS5 and deliver the best gaming console the world has ever seen, then I'll take it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think streaming is more the future as far as playing games portably, assuming the network infrastructure is there. I can already play my PS4 and PC remotely, and I'd rather stream from them and get the better image quality, performance, and controls over playing many of the same games natively on my Switch. Just need it to work well on LTE.