• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pfff. Cowards. Well, whatever. They clearly had no idea how to market the Vita and set it up to fail. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and give it another try in 5-10 years. The hardware they make is ace. Still love simply holding a PSV, pressing those clicky face buttons. Everything around it is just... Frustrating.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I am surprise. What memorable game it has, besides the gimmicky-fest Uncharted?

Persona 4 golden
Gravity rush
Freedom wars
Danganronpa
Trails of cold steel series
Steins gate
Utawarerumono
And a few other more niche, but solid games.

On the plus side, pretty much any game of note either started on multiple consoles or came to be released on other platforms later when people realized vita did not mean life.

Well, besides the clear best vita game, persona 4 golden, which is still trapped there lmao.

Vita was an excellent platform for some niche japanese games though. Switch is starting to fill that role, but the vita still feels like it has more in that market and then also had a back catalogue of a lot of psp and ps1 games that will be sorely missed.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I can't say I am surprise. What memorable game it has, besides the gimmicky-fest Uncharted?

It actually had a lot of fantastic titles, a lot of them are highly replayable, and well suited for a handheld (and I still play from time to time):

Spelunky with 4 player co-op
Wipeout
PSASBR (Vita version was great)
Gravity Rush
Tearaway
Rayman origins and legends
LBP
Lumines
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Killzone Mercenary
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami
Motorstorm RC
Dragon's Crown
Touch My Katamari
NFS Most Wanted
Fifa
Ridge Racer
Luftrausers
Olli Olli 1 & 2
Sound Shapes
Persona 4
TxK
Metal Gear Solid games
Final Fantasy..

Was also great for PS1 and PSP games. Good for emulation and with best d-pad ever made. Beautiful screen too. It can even stream games from PC if it's unlocked.

Really, it was a brilliant handheld. Still my favourite tbh but I'm not too bothered (or surprised) by this news.

A portable that can run steam for the indies, with a nice d-pad and analogue sticks would be the dream handheld.
I can wait for the tech to get there, my game library grows and waits too.

Last edited:

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
PSP succeeded mostly in Japan and mostly off the back of 3rd parties, most notably monster hunter. Otherwise the PSP was known for being bought for the hardware and then people pirating the games for it.
Sony actually gave more support to PSP in terms of 1st party offerings.
Japan is only responsible for ~25% of all PSP sales.
Pirating only killed it's software sales at the end of it's lifetime.
Vita's 1st party launch line-up was far from bad especially in comparison to the PS4 and after that it was clear it was a mega bomber.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Persona 4 golden
Gravity rush
Freedom wars
Danganronpa
Trails of cold steel series
Steins gate
Utawarerumono
And a few other more niche, but solid games.

On the plus side, pretty much any game of note either started on multiple consoles or came to be released on other platforms later when people realized vita did not mean life.

Well, besides the clear best vita game, persona 4 golden, which is still trapped there lmao.

Vita was an excellent platform for some niche japanese games though. Switch is starting to fill that role, but the vita will be sorely missed by some imo.

Almost all of these are niche Japanese titles that people can find easily on Steam nowadays with enhanced graphics and all.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of these are niche Japanese titles that people can find easily on Steam nowadays with enhanced graphics and all.
Yeah and like I said in the post you quoted they mostly did jump ship (besides p4g), but they were still all games that initially released (and were best played tbh) on vita and were some of the most memorable games from that system for me. I'd argue that they moved elsewhere in large part because the vita kind of failed.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
This would actually be really sad and stupid on Sony's part. They would leave the entire portable market to Nintendo when both the Vita and PSP are excellent devices. They just need better exclusives and support

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Good decision. They can't go all-in with handheld support, when their home consoles are monsters and need as many quality first party games as possible. Sony tried before and learned this lesson.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
It's for the best really. Nintendo has a force choke on the handheld business. Best for Sony to not waste the resources in my opinion. But I'll admit that I'm biased since I don't use handhelds and have never really been into them for my gaming needs. Dabbled with Pokemon and the Golden Sun games, but that was about it.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
The Vita was a great machine. Great games, but the idea of using only memory cards branded as PSVita for the console (and pricing them high) meant the console wasn't going to last.

Still got my Vita, which reminds me I need to charge it up

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The irony being this would probably be the best time ever to reintroduce their gaming phone with build in controller. Make a modern version of that with a 5g modem, bundle it with a year of psNow, and you've got your portable device.

This would actually be really sad and stupid on Sony's part. They would leave the entire portable market to Nintendo when both the Vita and PSP are excellent devices. They just need better exclusives and support
They don't care about the portable market since the gaming division is no longer concerned with Japan as a territory that they need to own. This is a situation where they are perfectly OK with buying the milk and leaving the cow to its own devices.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Isn't the point of it being portable, you know like one of Switch's biggest strengths?

Not really surprising with the news, but damn now I want to buy a back up machine.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
A dedicated handheld that's not the primary focus of your business would be very hard to sell nowadays. Besides the hideously expensive proprietary memory cards the Vita used, it's biggest issue was that game production costs for it were starting to get too high. Lets say Sony released a handheld that was as powerful as the PS4...who would produce a game with a PS4 level budget for an expensive handheld that didn't have extraordinarily high market penetration?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
The Vita got me back into handheld gaming and the Switch brought me all the way back, but mobile has cannibalized that market and Nintendo has whatever's left with their hybrid. Sad, but not surprising.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Killzone Mercenary is legitimately one of the best FPS of the past decade. Tearaway Vita is a different and much better game than Unfolded, since it doesn't have the pacing issues.

It also had like 5 Ys games through BC and native compatibility, which made me happy as a huge fan of the series. Hundreds of hours of portable action RPG goodness.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would love another one, but it's getting much harder to split dev resources these days and I'm very happy with PSVR's bright future. And let's face it, a Playstation handheld device in 20xx would just be a Switch port machine anyway

RIP sweet prince, you were too good for this world

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I know UMD isn't remembered all that fondly, but I do think they gave the PSP a weird added appeal that Vita didn't have. You could play GTA, GOW, Metal Gear, FF and other games portable for the first time, but you could also watch films on something that wasn't a dedicated media device like an Archos media player or whatever. And also worth noting is that it came out a few years before the iPhone, YouTube released the same year as the PSP. Facebook hadn't began fully rolling out to non-students until the following year. Next to the Nintendo DS, it seemed lightyears ahead in terms of capability - without Sony would we have gotten the DS Lite? We might not have gotten a rushed first gen ugly-DS actually! Nintendo definitely had a good strategy keeping the price low, releasing popular games (including the Touch Generations stuff), but Sony made them work.

The Vita released in to a totally different world in comparison. Android Phones, iPhones, iPads, Netflix, strong competition on the home console front from the 360 and the Wii, and probably a huge diversion of resources to ensure that PS4 would do better than PS3.

I don't actually believe that they're walking away from handheld gaming for good... I think as others have said, maybe they see a future in PS Now and Remote Play, whether they release a device for those or not, or just exploit other hardware... but I think they probably see streaming as a big potential market disruptor too. It would probably be crazy to reinvest heavily in a dedicated portable platform if we're on the cusp of having the ability to take hardware costs almost completely out of the equation. I've no doubt Nintendo will be thinking about that and how they can either join in or somehow continue to stand out when it arrives.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Meanwhile Switch having a lot of PC indies that are also available on other platforms is a good thing. The same shit that people complained about with Vita.

Don't do this, I don't won't to remind you how every port was (magic!) and (a miracle on a handheld!) and now suddenly anything less than 1080p/60fps on a portable device is (horrible).

However, i think while the Vita failed, that failure made it a special device, it was like a haven for small publishers around the world, sharing unique experiencess all to themselves without having to compete against AAA titles, they found success they would be pressured hard to have elsewhere, and to them and to us, it was a great experience. if Vita actually sold well and had more boring AAA games, i don't think it would've grew on me like it did. so yeah most of those games are available elsewhere but on Vita they felt special to me because they became the main attraction of the system, so maybe it wasn't too bad that it failed, and now Switch is carrying the torch.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Noooooooooooooo :( I just hope that somehow, someway, the Vita can remote play PS5 like how it can PS4. Built directly into the console. Buuuuut I know even that is getting to be a pipe dream.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Sony is in the streaming service bandwagon with PS Now. They'll probably expand the service to smartphones and tablets.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
Im still using my vita replaying persona 4 golden cause i loved it so much beat 6 times already and now playing metal gear collection. What a shame there isn't going to be another handheld :(

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, it makes all the sense in the world for them to not bother with another handheld. Their western studios didn't give a fuck about the Vita, and their eastern studios didn't really make a lot of games that could sell it to the western mass market. Now they can focus their devs and finances where they've actually proven to be successful; the home console market.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So OK, no more PSP. No more Vita. But can I please buy and play PSP/Vita games on PS5? Please? Sony? Hello? Yes, I want to play these old games!

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Would anyone buy one if they did? It makes no business sense to make a standalone handheld.

100% day 1. I own all the main consoles & handhelds and Vita by far is my favorite portable system. It's form factor and build quality is incredible. Pair that with all the RPGs & Indies I love it.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Expected. Such amazing and fond memories with both the PSP and PSVita. Two of my favorite consoles of all time.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The Vita was the only major video game system released in the last 20 years I never owned. It seemed like a neat little thing but it never had any games I was dying to play that I couldn't play somewhere else. I always said I would pick one up if they released a model with a Micro SD card slot instead of the proprietary memory cards they whipped up. They never did.

I know there's ways to use Micro SD cards now but I don't see the point anymore.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Lack of triggers and those fucking memory cards. Sony made some stupid ass decisions with the Vita.

The touch stuff was crap. Back touch lol. Just needed Dualshock-like triggers.