• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So, uhh, can we get some of those smaller titles on Switch, there Sony...? Microsoft has let their IPs play with Nintendo, after all...

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You'll get your LocoRoco and Patapon PS4 ports and like them a lot, since they're not doing any more PSP conversions!

Man, even the PS2 ports of some of those PSP games aren't available.

I'm most excited for PS5 because it is an opportunity for Sony to right this wrong. Make your legacy library available. I understand PS3 is impossible without Now, but let me buy PS1, PS2, PSP and Vita games digitally.

I don't trust in Jim Ryan to sign off on that though.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
At this point with the power and capabilities of phones, unless you are going to go all out with something spectacular and broadly supported, it doesn't make sense to make a separate handheld.

A Switch style console is one thing but a regular old handheld is the past.

Feb 1, 2018
I never saw a Vita IRL, but PSP's were everywhere in 2004-2006. I think mostly because they had the best internet browsing and media consumption experience for any device until the iPhone launched and disrupted the market permanently

A Switch style console is one thing but a regular old handheld is the past.

Switch Lite is the "regular old handheld" and seems to be selling well

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True. Sony has lost all goodwill after the PSP, and couldn't secure any system sellers for the Vita at all. They showed off Monster Hunter, Yakuza, MGS4, Bioshock etc but all were just smokes and mirrors, and most of the hyped titles like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty turned out to be dud.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Would anyone buy one if they did? It makes no business sense to make a standalone handheld.

After it was out for a year and it was clear that it was going to get all the ports that were coming out on Switch and that it wouldn't be abandoned by Sony. I would sell my Switch in a heartbeat and pick that up. Sony is still a company so they aren't perfect but damn do I hate Nintendo.

I bet I would be able to backup my saves physically if not digitally without paying for a subscription too.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of support for the Vita along with pricey Memory cards caused its downfall.

Real shame after the PSP

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony made so many mistakes with the Vita and like Nintendo they're better off putting all their eggs in one basket.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still very much hopeful that they'll manage to make a PS5 Portable within the next 3 to 4 years. Let it play ps1,2,3,4 and 5 games along with PSP and Vita, then slap 5G functionality on it for Now. This is my dream 😃

And yeah, I'm confident the PS5 will be fully bc with all past devices,

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
SCEA reaction to the Vita was the first sign they were taking over leading PlayStation as a western first brand. It was also the right move to dump that thing ASAP.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Word on the street is that Vita was fed up from Sony, did a plastic surgery and moved to Nintendo.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't understand what endgame (profit) would be in it for sony at this point with a dedicated portable. even if they did support the everloving fuck out of vita where would that have landed in 2019?

i just find it a weird thing to harp on at this point

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
He's smart not to. It's a different market now.

The Vita was superior to the PSP in every way except memory. Even then, MSPD was still proprietary in a way.
I wasn't talking about it's specs. I'm talking about the platform itself. PSP has a way better library of games.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just make a portable PS4. Compatible with all your digital collection.

Still pissed about what they did with Vita :(

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
I'm one of the biggest Vita fans out there, but why would they make a dedicated portable device if you can play PS4 games from existing mobile devices?

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn this is bad news, i hope someone else makes a handheld competent enough that has another approach other than what Nintendo usually does.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I wasn't talking about it's specs. I'm talking about the platform itself. PSP has a way better library of games.
Well sure but that's only because they completely abandoned the handheld market like a year in.

The Vita was garbage because they gave up; what you're saying is that they should give up because the Vita was garbage. These are not the same thing. A parallel universe where Sony didn't give up could have meant a great Vita.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They can't even make Naughty Dog develop a Vita game...

I remember some PR spin that ND will make a game for Vita, when ND themselves saying they wont.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best. With Nvidia as a partner Nintendo could basically get tech in line with whatever Sony could get so they wouldn't have that advantage anymore either.