• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think about Jim Ryan's strategy?

• I think he's on the right track

Votes: 277 13.1%
  • I am getting bad vibes but I have hope

Votes: 592 27.9%
  • We're headed towards doom

Votes: 793 37.4%
  • Too early to judge

Votes: 460 21.7%

• Total voters

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
For those of you who aren't aware of the Jim Ryan strategy for playstation, here's a quick overview
  • Major emphasis on blockbuster titles that receive universal praise from critics and fans
  • Focus on titles where success is guaranteed.
  • Move away from smaller and riskier project (eg gravity rush). Effectively reducing "experiment" projects.
  • Downsize studios that aren't producing the most critical hits (Japan studio)
  • More emphasis on western developers and audiences.
  • Huge emphasis on timed exclusives. Sony has always done timed exclusives but scooping up multiple projects simultaneously from big name developers might be a first.
  • Bring PS catalogue to PC (We still don't know to what extent, but one thing is clear, Sony wants PC gamers)
Clearly Jim Ryan is doing a lot of things that no one could have ever imagined. However, I don't think Sony's strategy of working on big budget blockbusters is a bad idea. What good is a game if it gets bad reviews and no one plays it. I'd rather have a quality game than 2 games that are there just to fill a sales window. Some people have tossed the idea that Jim is doing for the bottom line, I disagree with that. Passion takes time and money. I think its better to have something fully realized than multiple projects that no one cares about. More than that this is what fans want, this is what they talk about, this is what they care about. Like how times have you seen people talk about gravity rush? On the contrary people often talk about and praise games like GOW and TLOU. So i think it makes perfect sense to invest in something that people care about and appreciate.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stop caring about video game execs unless they are funny gifs.

007quksj.gif

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Eh people will complain but they'll continue buying PS5s and those blockbusters. Money talks so Jim will continue what he's doing.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Those poll options really aren't good. You only have positive options and a hyperbolic meme "doom" option.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the "I dont like him nor the direction he seems to be taking Sony but I'm not doom posting about him." option.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. I don't think their strategy going forward is at all clear. Between covid and generation transition everything is still up in the air.

Be another 9 months or so before we get the jist of their over arching strategy.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to say he's the most radical thing that's happened, especially when the direction was set before he took over.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. So far PS5 is just business as usual. It's the same strategy as PS4, which was also focused on blockbusters.

May 12, 2020
Can we please just wait until PS's June or whatever Summer showcase before we start making these judgments? That will show what Jim's future for PS is and give us a glimpse of where the brand is heading. Please stop with these hyperbolic threads! Thanks!

Oct 31, 2017
This forum's obsession with Jim Ryan is starting to bother me.

You'd think he was some new hire at Sony instead of someone that has been there since the PS1 days (and someone who's a big part of why the brand is so successful in Europe).

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I am very sad about Japan studio, that's a hard one to reckon with. Overall though, I'm fine with the ps5 approach to this gen. That said, I've already hedged my bets and gotten a series x too.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
that's all in continuity with the ps4 era, including the Japan Studio's part, the is being "closed" now, but it was reduced to a shadow of itself during the House-Layden era

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
He's neither the most radical nor the worst thing to have happened to playstation. The hyperbole surrounding him is ridiculous

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I really don't see the point in constantly pontificating and obsessing over Jim Ryan. If he's leading PlayStation to success, then it'll be born out over the next few years, not over the next few months. If he's leading them to ruin, same principle.

That said, if the current corporate PlayStation vision is a focus on titles where "success is guaranteed," then they will fail. You cannot guarantee success. You strive for it and sometimes you miss it. Trying to "guarantee" success involves either unethical or illegal practices.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Jim responsible for the HQ moving to California? Because I've not been happy about that. Maybe it makes me a weeb but Sony losing its "Japan" influences just...doesn't sit right with me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone is aware of PlayStations full strategy other than bits and pieces so making any real analysis especially this early in the generation is working on extremely low information.

Oct 8, 2019
Jim Ryan's plan will bite them in the ass as Microsoft continually buys more and more publishers, and other publishers move towards Nintendo like with Capcom.

Jan 11, 2018
This forum's obsession with Jim Ryan is starting to bother me.

You'd think he was some new hire at Sony instead of someone that has been there since the PS1 days (and someone who's a big part of why the brand is so successful in Europe).

Having been with the company for a long time doesn't mean he's immune to criticism and unable to make bad decisions. His stance on preservation is absolutely awful, for example.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
  • Major emphasis on blockbuster titles that receive universal praise from critics and fans

That was Shawn Layden

www.cnet.com

Sony's Shawn Layden wants fewer, bigger PlayStation games

Video game makers are struggling to adapt to the internet era. With the PS5 on the horizon, Sony's video game boss has a plan.

Jim Ryan's plan will bite them in the ass as Microsoft continually buys more and more publishers, and other publishers move towards Nintendo like with Capcom.

Is Capcom abandoning PS? Wat

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The guy has been with Playstation for decades. Reducing him to decisions only made in 2 years is really not ideal.
Specially considering Playstation was already headed this way.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. So far PS5 is just business as usual. It's the same strategy as PS4, which was also focused on blockbusters.
This, one million times. Jim Ryan has done nothing radical. Anyone in charge of Sony right now would probably continue with (or double down on) the strategy that led to massive, massive success in the PS4 generation.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think that at the very least, if he deserves any of the praise for Sony's turnaround to video game profitability, he will deserve an equal amount of blame if sales are lagging in a few years.

I think Sony needs someone who wants games as much as we do. He needs to show us that the new Playstation is poised to be the system to own, yes, during a pandemic.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think 'the most radical thing to ever happen to PlayStation' is probably a stretch and threatens to make Ryan sound far more exciting than he's realistically been so far.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
You guys getting to play all of this awesome games, and yet you start to worry about a potential doom of PlayStation?

I wouldn't worry, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary and in my opinion the bad press recently was overexaggerated by many outlets. And even if Sony is really heading towards their doom, we can still look forward towards awesome games from other creators.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
With the move towards more stuff like Monster Hunter Rise, I can definitely see a pattern.

Wait...what? Do you really imagine Resident Evil in the future not releasing on a PS console? Specially their more mature content?

I'm sure Sony knows MS might buy more stuff. They can't be that naive. We also know Sony is looking for more developers and even publishers (SEGA was even rumored more than once...but everyone was rumored to buy SEGA at this point, LOL)