• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
This is from the GameIndustry interview:

www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan on making PS5 more successful than PS4

Over the past few weeks, PlayStation head Jim Ryan has received more than his usual share of emails.From the moment PS5…

Ryan says the expanding demographics and "stickiness" of the PlayStation experience is one way in which it'll bring in more customers. But there are other opportunities.

"A lot of the work that we've done with female protagonists in gaming, we definitely see that resonating and resulting in increased presence of the female demographic within the PlayStation community," he says. "And then there's obviously geography. The PS4 generation saw us make huge strides in Germany and the Middle East, and I think there is further progress to be made in both of those areas. But equally, I think Asia -- outside of Japan -- has huge potential for us. And Latin America has huge potential for us."

Its great that PlayStations growing diverse protagonists have been successful and looking forward to PS5 they have already a further diverse cast of characters.

His point of further growing geographically also makes one hopeful for more culturally diverse games.

OP
OP
Lacrimosis

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Personally, Im a big fan of Retunrals protagonist and am looking forward the game.

Since he talks about success in germany how about some german protags.

blobpeek.png

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They've done a reasonably good job of giving prominent franchises female leads (TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Infamous: First Light, etc), so it's good that's working out for them.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 generation saw us make huge strides in Germany and the Middle East, and I think there is further progress to be made in both of those areas. But equally, I think Asia -- outside of Japan -- has huge potential for us. And Latin America has huge potential for us."

GERMANY, BABY!
tenor.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Who would have thought that having more diverse protagonists in games so people could feel themselves represented in media would have an increase presence of that demographic? Wild stuff there.

And yes I am joking, I am glad to hear that this will lead to more expansion towards other demographics (god damn I want a latin american protagonist that isn't A. a stereotype or B. from anywhere other than Mexico or Puerto Rico because there are more of us from other countries).

Also grad to see them not bend to chuds that try and do online campaigns to try and hurt games that do have representation (and that those campaigns have failed miserably).

There is plenty of room to represent all of us in the gaming world.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Will I get a hero as big as Nate who just happens to be a gay man before I pop my clogs? Hope is still there..

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
g8VxEbH.png

I think Aloy was probably a big win for them, and I hope the strong representation continues on a number of fronts.

Last edited:

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Um ok, I mean he basically didn't say anything. Like they've gotten a bit better but I wouldn't say a ton better.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
g8VxEbH.png

I think Aloy was probably a big win for them, and I hope the strong representation continues on a number of fronts.
Whenever I see this Kat pic I laugh, I don't know why. I really enjoyed GR1 and 2, and want more. I hope Kat has a future.

I am all for what's next from Sony. Excited to see some amazing new characters! :)

Aloy is one of my favorite characters this gen. Really excited for Horizon 2.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see some LatAm protagonists and games based on that region in general.

Oct 27, 2017
Their biggest games this year star two women, with one of them being a lesbian, a Japanese man, and an Afro-Latino boy. That's not bad, all things considered, but obviously would love to see that become common.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
It's not really female lead tho, at least in my opinion.

What is your definition though? Like sure, you occasionally play as other characters but the story is her journey to reunite the Avengers and become one herself.

Especially when you are qualifying it as "female lead" and not just lead, she's unquestionably the female lead of that game and I have a hard time understanding how she's not the lead as well.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Starhawk connected with more people /=

I loved Starhawk, and Graves made for a unique lead. A space-western black cowboy type doing dogfights? Aces.

latest
I liked him and StarHawk too even though it felt less budgeted then a big Sony title at the time. Maybe one day they will have a AAA major successful PS black character? Miles is great but he isn't a PS character as much as Peter Parker isn't. He is a Marvel Character.

I hope one day we will see a Sony AAA game with a Black Lead. Tick off both boxes by having said lead be female too. Cherry on top if said female black lead has a black voice actor.

We shall see.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What is your definition though? Like sure, you occasionally play as other characters but the story is her journey to reunite the Avengers and become one herself.

Especially when you are qualifying it as "female lead" and not just lead, she's unquestionably the female lead of that game and I have a hard time understanding how she's not the lead as well.

I don't really know, it never felt like she was the lead outside of the intro/tutorial levels. After that, you can play whoever you want.
The focus is on the Avengers, she's simply the POV character.
Like, you can't really compare her to a single-player protagonist like Spidey, Aloy, Ellie, Nate and everyone else.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um ok, I mean he basically didn't say anything. Like they've gotten a bit better but I wouldn't say a ton better.

I mean they have (or soon wil) released 3 AAA Sony first party games this year that I can think of.

Those three games feature an LGBTQ female lead, and two POC males as leads.

How is that not doing a fantastic job of expanding diversity in video games?

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I mean they have (or soon wil) released 3 AAA Sony first party games this year that I can think of.

Those three games feature an LGBTQ female lead, and two POC males as leads.

How is that not doing a fantastic job of expanding diversity in video games?

I was just referring to the part about female protagonists, where they have a few that aren't super great or likable characters, and they could still be doing a lot better on that front. Like what they are doing is good but lets set the bar a little higher.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
"Yet another reason to switch to Xbox. Damn libs, keep politics out of games"

*hops in 2077 General Lee and drives away*