• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
While it wasn't mentioned in Sony's official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like "Horizon: Forbidden West" and "Spider-Man: Miles Morales" aren't exclusive at all. They're both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony's commitment to "next gen" development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

"No one should be disappointed," Ryan said. "The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It's about people having choice. I'm really quite pleased about the situation."
Sauce

Personally, I'm in the "don't believe his lies" camp; Ryan's credibility is non-existent at this point.

Unless they take the Shadow of Mordor approach (Nemesis system broken on PS3/X360) and nuke entire features in the PS4 versions, I just don't see how games like HFW will fully realize next-gen potential.

EDIT: For those of you experiencing deja vu, this might be why:

"Halo Infinite has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of Xbox Series X. Bigger battles, epic vistas, more complex visual effects, displayed with ten times the processing power per pixel of Halo 5."

www.gamereactor.eu

Halo Infinite opens the Xbox Games Showcase

Master Chief is back with a bang and we got to see our first proper look at the new Halo.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This seems like damage control. Yeah, sure, these games will take advantage of the DualSense and SSD or whatever but the PS4 will 100% hold back Horizon 2, c'mon now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He can be telling the truth here. They just ported them to PS4 afterward.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
If he was up front and honest from the start then people may have believed him. Now its a case of this feels like just PR, to try and cease the complaints they knew would happen.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
How do you build a game from the ground up to take advantage of a 5.5GB/s SSD but then have it work on a mechanical drive that's over 100x slower?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between building from the ground up for next-gen and hoping it works when the time comes to port down to PS4, and building the game for cross-gen in the first place.

I guess he's saying it's the former in this case.

Problem is, I don't believe him at all.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'd believe it if he said they were being built for PS4, and they decided hey, let's supercharge this shit for PS5. And I'd be fine with that.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Morales Lost Legacy was never gonna be "built from the ground up" on PS5.

Come on now.

Can't mean you can't enjoy it but it is what it is.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I'll wait for gameplay footage of Horizon before I make any judgement tbh, but I have no doubt that I wanna play the game on the PS5

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I believe its somewhere in the middle, But ill keep saying open world games probally are the best games that would be able to scale between platforms, and guerrilla's engine shows it can hop platforms where they brought both DS and Horizon to PC.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I should've known by that reveal that HFW was cross gen. I was disappointed at reveal even though it was the game I was most pumped about going into next gen. Loved the first title. This news about being cross gen pretty much killed my hype entirely. Garbage move

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This is PR bullshit.

Sure, they will benefit from the faster SSD in terms of loading and the new GPU features like HW RT. But they're fundamentally PS4 games, otherwise they wouldn't work on PS4.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah, this is PR bullcrap. Of course these games will be limited in ambition due to the PS4 hardware.

Jim Ryan just want the support from 100M PS4 owners, which is understandable

However, it's naive to think that Sony will keep pumping exclusive games for the PS4 after 2021

People are losing their minds in an embarassing way since yesterday

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm still kinda bummed about Horizon 2 being cross-gen. With Miles Morales I sort of understand since they were just building off what they did for a PS4 game, but I was just hoping Horizon 2 would take advantage of next-gen specs and go crazy with the open world.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Is this not entirely possible though? Weren't Titanfall and Rise of the Tomb Raider downported to 360?

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Yup didn't believe MS about Halo and don't believe Jim about this. More disappointed about Horizon than MM being crossgen tho

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
We haven't seen HFW gameplay but MM sure does look amazing Im sure PS4 has to be holding it back unless it's just a lesser game on those systems

Oct 25, 2017
If true, why was there the need to bullshit about it in the first place? Dude has zero credibility at this point, let's be real.

Both games are still going to be fire tho.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
They aren't. Horizon literally started as a PS4 game. It can have upgrades? Absolutely. But, unless they're doing two completely different versions, the game design will be held back.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
At least Microsoft was honest from the start.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Is this like the latest controversy or something? I keep seeing thumbnails and Youtube titles like "Sony LIED" or "PS5 Game Fiasco"

No shit they'll keep putting their games on their highest reaching platform