• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

Shahid (formerly SIE) seems very fond of Jim

Nah, nothing matters as people will only talk about his stupid BC statements and boring presentations which are his defining moments of his career in their eyes because let's be honest, the sensationalist and reactionary approach is the best approach amirite?
A wait and see approach? No,that's crazy talk, it's time to panic.

I don't like the guy either but Ryan has been in the PS business since the PS2 days (maybe even earlier?) I'm sure they didn't give him this position because there was no one else left willing to do the job. People need to give the man a chance, even though you might not find him as meme-able as the other execs.

What I think is strange though, is the fact that Kodera left his position to work on PSN, forgive my English but he actually decided to downgrade his position? Was it really because he prefered to work on PSN or was it because he wasn't the right person for the position in his (or others') eyes?

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. This thread will be the era equivalent of the famous gaf next gen prediction thread. And yes nothing changed since then.

Yeah ever since the cross play thing and MS dropping the most powerful console, news from either company has been met with more & more 'spin' if not downright wishful thinking around Arrogant Sony being overtaken next gen by Consumer-Bro Underdog, Microsoft.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
All I can say about Jim Ryan is, that he is certainly not a marketing guy. He's rather blunt and not a great public speaker. That may be a good thing or a bad thing, idk ...

I'm certainly not gonna conjure up images of "arrogant Sony" like so many seem to be fond of.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I hope he steers the division in the right direction. His BC comment was a little bit tactless, but he does have a good point, as it seems BC is the sort of thing we all want, but at the end of the day we mostly don't use it due to the sheer number of new gamers.

Still, I've amassed a much bigger library in comparison to PS3, so I hope this is a possibility for the PS5.

Also, I believe this will be a good thread to revisit in the future :)

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From memories this is the guy Sony was always putting in front of the press to be interviewed about something negative, like backward compat and cross play. :lol

Hopefully his views about BC won't affect the PS5.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ever since the cross play thing and MS dropping the most powerful console, news from either company has been met with more & more 'spin' if not downright wishful thinking around Arrogant Sony being overtaken next gen by Consumer-Bro Underdog, Microsoft.
It really started with Sony's cancellation of Atelier Uguugu in 2013, and then crossplay, and then Jim Ryan's comments, which led to Sony having a horrible 2018. Frankly I think Jim Ryan's comments about who would want to play PS1 games to be shameful because I always boot up Gran Turismo 1 (or sometimes 4, randomly) to enjoy that game.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't think Jim Ryan being in charge of PlayStation means anything will change about PS5 at this point. But I do think his appointment as CEO means Sony as a whole doesn't contest his past views or beliefs on things like BC and Crossplay.
But his comment on BC was clearly him fluffing a reason for why his company wasnt providing a service that their competitors were. He isnt gonna come out and say "Yeah BC is pretty great but we dont have it lol".

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What I think is strange though, is the fact that Kodera left his position to work on PSN, forgive my English but he actually decided to downgrade his position? Was it really because he prefered to work on PSN or was it because he wasn't the right person for the position in his (or others') eyes?

Before becoming CEO he was focused on Playstation's network and cloud services. In terms of why he'd go back to focusing on it, I think it could be a combination of the things you mention. He might deem the current transition a critically important time for the network, and would prefer to focus on it closely - that it's important for the company that someone very senior can shepherd it right now. It might also be a recognition of personal strengths and desires - that he missed being more hands-on, and want to go back to that kind of work. Ryan's background is management, sales, marketing... for the higher level management of the company, it would be second nature for him. For Kodera, though he's certainly had a good deal of senior management experience, it was probably a bit of a change to be so hands-off on some fronts as you probably have to be as CEO.

I think it's really good Kodera could see this. Kutaragi tried to split focus between his passion (hw engineering) and wider company management, and the company suffered. That's probably strong in the memory at Sony.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it isn't. Every PlayStation Console has a fantastic library of games that deserves preservation and accessibility to a new generation of gamers. I don't understand how any supposed fan of PlayStation could think any differently.

I wouldn't get anyone's hopes up about BC beyond PS4 though.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, tbh, I think remasters could still happen regardless of BC. If the remaster offers enough enhancement over the original played on the new machine then there can still be a market for them. But even if BC does undermine the value of remasters to a certain extent, I still think that strategically PS4 BC is of much more important value today in the bigger picture. I'm not even sure the market for remasters is all that big...

I think the data-tail is wagging the dog. If the data/business intelligence said otherwise, that would be challenged. Ryan shared a personal opinion about how the games looked, but Sony's approach to PS1/PS2 games on PS4 was informed by market analysis, not out of Ryan's opinion. His opinion about how games held up was an after-the-fact embellishment on his explanation of the approach to PS1/PS2 games, not the root of it.

The one thing you and others have highlighted is the transition into next gen and how it makes sense to continue your digital library but one thing I have learned over the years in this industry is nothing is as it should be.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... people are still arguing about that one quote from the dude? Then again, since not much about him is known maybe this is the only thing left to discuss, but taking it as gospel as some have is quite bizarre.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing you and others have highlighted is the transition into next gen and how it makes sense to continue your digital library but one thing I have learned over the years in this industry is nothing is as it should be.

Ha, fair enough. But for all the out-of-leftfield stuff that can and does happen in this industry, a lot of stuff also does go according to what 'makes sense'. We just take it for granted then and remember all the crazy stuff :)

I mean of course I could be wrong, but I'd be shocked if PS5 doesn't have BC with PS4 sw.

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of unprepared PR comments does not erase 25 years of fidelity and growth. Jim Ryan has been promoted over and over since 2011, and wasn't chosen by accident. A trajectory like this one only get respect from me. Good luck to him for the transition to PS5 o/

If anything, the anomaly among the PlayStation CEO was Kodera. Unlike Kutaragi, Hirai and House, he came to the video game business pretty late (2010). He was chosen to lead in 2017 because his network area is the most important thing in terms of bringing constant revenue, but in the end its another veteran from the very first day of the PlayStation who takes the reins.

Last edited:

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I learned today Sony has been nothing but lucky. Decades of building the brand and console business, especially in developing countries, making the right moves. Curating talent and studios. Nope no credit to Sony all luck lol . This thread is a mess. Imagine bashing a guy based one one or two quotes like this, this is beyond pathetic.

Sony's ready for getting their ass kicked next generation it seems.
BWHAHAHA.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully his views about BC won't affect the PS5.
But what are his views on BC? People keep bringing up the out-of-context "why would anybody play this" quote as if it's his final and definite view on backward compatibility, but it is not. It is:
1. his opinion regarding a specific situation where all Gran Turismos of different generations were running side-by-side
2. just downplaying the fact PS4 does not offer BC in any form.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
A couple of unprepared PR comments does not erase 25 years of fidelity and growth. Jim Ryan has been promoted over and over since 2011, and wasn't chosen by accident. A trajectory like this one only get respect from me. Good luck to him for the transition to PS5 o/

This is the correct way to think, but remember that we are in a strange era that old tweets make people loose their jobs.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
The only facts here seem to be that:

1. Jim Ryan clearly has the experience to effectively execute whatever vision Sony corporate has for their gaming business going forward.

2. The guy hasn't come across as very likeable at times in public settings or interviews in the past, which likely makes him not that appealing to some as the face of one of their favorite gaming brands.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Been saying this for a while... Sony is an utter shit show at the moment. Luckily they don't need to do much for a successful PS5. Seems like the narrative provided by the old management was false and they just jumped ship. Of course, jury is still out.

I miss Andrew House.
Sony is a shit show? How? Over reactions everywhere.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Jim Ryan actually gives me confidence for the near and long term future of PlayStation. He may make Internet forum dwellers mad but he seems extremely competent when it comes to business.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Backward compatibility is overrated anyways. I mean who wants the convenience of being able to replay past games on their current gen consoles with ease as long as they own the software. You think you do, but you don't.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not too bothered about the suits behind the business, but he seems to know what he's doing, and has been doing it long enough.

I think I will be fine with the PS5 era when it comes.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to Jim Ryan for the promotion, hard working dude making PS a success in Europe.

Era stay losing with all them concern/outrage/yikes/cringe post.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So much concern trolling in this thread lol

No need to worry people, he's a bad PR but is competent as fuck. Just look at PS4 and the games he marketed (U4, GOW, Spider)

And Sony will have BC, I don't know how anyone can seriously think it won't.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Charisma is really important for conglomerate middle management. The last time Sony hired someone with no charisma we got Way of the Warrior.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been saying this for a while... Sony is an utter shit show at the moment. Luckily they don't need to do much for a successful PS5. Seems like the narrative provided by the old management was false and they just jumped ship. Of course, jury is still out.

I miss Andrew House.

I miss House too but they just had their best month in terms of revenue, ever. Perhaps they're not winning the PR game but I really do struggle to take hyperbole seriously when it diametrically opposes reality.

Do people not like this dude? Is he like the Don Mattrick of Sony? lol

He's said some dumb things, but he's also been at Sony forever.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I miss House too but they just had their best month in terms of revenue, ever. Perhaps they're not winning the PR game but I really do struggle to take hyperbole seriously when it diametrically opposes reality.

He's said some dumb things, but he's also been at Sony forever.
Nah man, Sony is a shit show cause they promoted one of their longest tenured and most successful execs.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah, nothing matters as people will only talk about his stupid BC statements and boring presentations which are his defining moments of his career in their eyes because let's be honest, the sensationalist and reactionary approach is the best approach amirite?
A wait and see approach? No,that's crazy talk, it's time to panic.

I don't like the guy either but Ryan has been in the PS business since the PS2 days (maybe even earlier?) I'm sure they didn't give him this position because there was no one else left willing to do the job. People need to give the man a chance, even though you might not find him as meme-able as the other execs.

Maybe they are setting him up to be the fall guy......
I am not actually being serious, but it doesn't take a genius to see that there is no way Sony can mimic the launch of the PS4 with the PS5. This guy is taking one huge task on with this job.

It would take Microsoft to make one monumental mess up to cause events similar to the PS4 launch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation is a global brand, leading in sales in all regions? AFAIK...

Still putting up a fight in Japan...

Yet The Age of Sony is done because he said some things some ppl didn't like....
Everyone needs to post thier pointless shittake without engaging in any sort of discussion. The fact there is this much salt in this thread about the guy means he is doing something right.

All the while PS in Europe and around the world is getting stronger and stronger.

I mean under his leadership, even in the face of renewed competition, ps has done incredibly well in Europe. He has the chops to get Sony ps even stronger. He certainly gets sales, marketing and business. Despite what a forum poster might think, those 3 are critical to succeed for a business like ps.

Just goes to show how out of touch majority of era posters are.
Basically, this.

Oh but I can take a guess where some of the hot takes are coming from...lol

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Who cares? They need a good business man not a mascot....his track record speaks for iteself.

Sony (and any company) don't need a pop idol, only someone competent.

Well, that's not what GAF/ERA kept saying when Microsoft had Don Mattrick and all his awkwardness on stage, and you can see that this sentiment is still present nowadays.

Personally, I disagree with both of you. I believe the role of a president demands more than being a "good manager". It does require charisma, great ability to express yourself, confidence, among others.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Maybe they are setting him up to be the fall guy......
I am not actually being serious, but it doesn't take a genius to see that there is no way Sony can mimic the launch of the PS4 with the PS5. This guy is taking one huge task on with this job.

It would take Microsoft to make one monumental mess up to cause events similar to the PS4 launch.

PS was the most popular console WW since PS1 (even with the PS3 bs), why would be different with PS5?

Xbox can take the US, but the world is big.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Well, that's not what GAF/ERA kept saying when Microsoft had Don Mattrick and all his awkwardness on stage, and you can see that this sentiment is still present nowadays.

Personally, I disagree with both of you. I believe the role of a president demands more than being a "good manager". It does require charisma, great ability to express yourself, confidence, among others.
Why is Mattrick always brought up? There is no relevance, they are not the only two execs who said a couple odd things and never had amazing stage presence.