• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
HMMM...

Well, alrighty then...

... please other folks at Sony convince Jim Ryan that backwards compaibility and cross-network play are worthy pursuits.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
We'll see how this shakes out. Also he wasn't right about old games with the PS classic. PS classic was a crap product. We already know that a classic system with effort can do well.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
If you compare the success of PS4 in EU to its success in Japan.......Ryan seems to be the stronger of the 2 for the job.
That being said, Ryan can go fff....

Oct 30, 2017
This thread is killing me lmao.

On topic though: Good for him. He's got some questionable quotes attributed to him, but I believe this is a good choice.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He basically already is Sony's Don Mattrick.
What is up with the amount of shit posting in here? Don Mattrick doomed the Xbox One for this entire generation. Jim Ryan has made a couple dumb comments but otherwise has made PlayStation into the powerhouse that they are in Europe. Anyone making these comparisons doesn't know what they are talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the PR it seems this will allow Kodera to focus more on the Network side of things, which will be the key to Sony's growth. Good call overall, though not a fan of Jim Ryan much.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm
Oh no.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The entire first page is confusing to me.

I don't usually follow what happens to Sony, but I'm curious. What is wrong, and what was it supposed to happen? Backwards compatibility is bye-bye, so long?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
What specifically are all these amazing things Jim Ryan did, and why should "PlayStation dominates Europe" make me excited for future hardware and network features?

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's doing that thing where the face of the company comes out on the presentation stage and I go "oh no I don't like this at all." Like, Wii Music era Nintendo and Mattrick era Xbox, lol.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wait, Jim Ryan is head of Playstation global marketing.

Was he responsible for Kevin Butler? and the creepy early PS3 adds? Woah.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and for people concerned about cross-play, Layden just said this about it in an interview released today.
But I think we learned, from the feedback from our fans, that it was important. And it wasn't just important to a vocal minority. Though, if you look at any of the numbers of the actual cross-play population? That Venn diagram isn't too big. Even the fans who weren't personally going to participate in a cross-play activity across different hardware pieces, just felt that it was kind of tone-deaf of PlayStation. We've tried to be so good certainly over the last four or five years to be in tune with our fans and to listen to what they want and try to be a friends of the gamer. We looked at that approach. This… this is just not friendly.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/02/11/shawn-layden-on-playstation-and-the-future

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The entire first page is confusing to me.

I don't usually follow what happens to Sony, but I'm curious. What is wrong, and what was it supposed to happen? Backwards compatibility is bye-bye, so long?
This guy has made some tremendously boneheaded public statements in the recent past regarding crossplay & BC. Actually extrapolating that to the PS5 is some serious armchair analyst bullshit - but that's why we're on a gaming forum.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What specifically are all these amazing things Jim Ryan did, and why should "PlayStation dominates Europe" make me excited for future hardware and network features?
Why would any other person taking the place excite you? He has been very successful with his last position and Sony trusts him, there isn't much more to take from this.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's by no means doom and gloom but a lack of BC on the PS5 will squander a lot of good will they built up this generation

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Honestly care more about BC then CrossPlay. Only real thing that could make me jump to MS is Sony total neglect of BC on the PS5.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Why would any other person taking the place excite you? He has been very successful with his last position and Sony trusts him, there isn't much more to take from this.
I'm asking why people in this thread are jumping to defend how incredible he is. I'd be excited for someone who has done things I admire to take the job, as opposed to someone who has made public statements dismissing features I care about.