• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You have just as much idea as the next guy writing "hmmm". Digital is growing, is bigger than ever for Sony, it only benefits them to have BC so that they can sell more content to new and existing consumers, and enrich services they offer by having games that you can download as well as stream. Ryan has made a couple of dumb excuses in interviews (certainly hasn't published press releases that draw out plans to not support old games on newer hardware). That's all you've got on him. Good luck with what you're peddling.

I'd rather have no luck having invested in a digital library on PS4.

I'd prefer those games play on PS5 so I don't have to keep yet ANOTHER console hanging around like my PS3.

"Peddling". Given the majority of Sony's current install base has loudly told the company BC means little to them and they're happy to re-buy old games, I'm sure Sony sees plenty of reasons to support PS4 BC outside of "Well surely they have to".

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
This part is the key bit worrying Sony I guess?

They need Kodera in the area of his expertise to focus 100% on it in the face of ever stiffer competition.
Makes sense -- put people in position where they shine the most.

They quite clearly know where they want to be and where their strengths lie. You put key people in positions to succeed and you will reap the benefits. This just looks like more of that. Securing their future so they don't get left behind (or caught up to).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
9iGEMmZ.gif

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
His stance on cross-play and backwards compatibility were shitty. Having doubts about my future ps5 purchase at the moment

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Don Mattrick: "I'm gonna fuck up an entire generation for our new console."

Jim Ryan: "Hold my beers."
This joke might be funny if it wasn't for the fact he led the ps4 to absolute domination in Europe and the other markets he covers. He did an awesome job.
PS4 ran laps around the XB1 this gen without it.

The dude wasn't going to sing the praises of something the competition had and they didn't. If/when the ps5 does bc it'll suddenly be something they cared about the whole time and what not.
Yeah outside the USA in the regions Jim covered the ps4 outsold xbox by like 5:1 and that's without B/C. Sony were smart saving that feature for the ps5. It gives it a major selling point over the ps4. They'll look pretty good if they come out and say it's BC with the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4. Meanwhile their main competitor will only be able to list 3 past consoles it's compatible with.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I, like most of you, thought this was a weird and disconcerting decision by Sony until I looked at his track record. He was the President of SIEE, which overlooked Europe, Oceania, Middle East, and African regions, since 2011. PlayStation holds market dominance in all of those territories. PlayStation is incredibly aggressive in Europe as well, so this seems pretty exciting. I hope he doesn't do anything to backwards compatibility and cross-play, but I personally doubt it. I have high hopes. This man knows how to succeed.
I don't think anyone here is doubting his business expertise, but rather his stance on the balance between features desired by users (BC, crossplay, indies) vs revenue builders (remasters, exclusivity, AAA partnerships).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Great so no crossplay to protect the children and no backwards compatibility because no one will want to play PS1-PS4 games on a PS5...

Bayouswampman

Banned
Oct 27, 2018
Is Jim gonna continue the idiotic program of forcing all games to be approved by the California office even if they arent being released in NA and continuing censoring games that are going without on Switch and PC?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Great so no crossplay to protect the children and no backwards compatibility because no one will want to play PS1-PS4 games on a PS5...

If you were an exec, would you defend and praise a feature that your current system didn't and likely would never have while your competition does have it and is touting it quite a bit?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's an actual reason this is happening that will have some sort of benefit to their next generation hardware, but please Era go off.

They'll do just fine with the PS5.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is up with the amount of shit posting in here? Don Mattrick doomed the Xbox One for this entire generation. Jim Ryan has made a couple dumb comments but otherwise has made PlayStation into the powerhouse that they are in Europe. Anyone making these comparisons doesn't know what they are talking about.

This.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no need to get hostile here.
If you believe that response is hostile, I don't know what to say.

I'd rather have no luck having invested in a digital library on PS4.

I'd prefer those games play on PS5 so I don't have to keep yet ANOTHER console hanging around like my PS3.

"Peddling". Given the majority of Sony's current install base has loudly told the company BC means little to them and they're happy to re-buy old games, I'm sure Sony sees plenty of reasons to support PS4 BC outside of "Well surely they have to".
1) You have no data supporting that claim that the majority has loudly told Sony that BC means little to them.
2) Remasters/ports are everywhere and not exclusive to PlayStation consoles.
3) There have been less remasters this gen from Sony - and they're less successful to boot. What do you think that means?

Just so you're aware, i've covered these points before in a conversation with you, so I don't know why you still believe arguing about remasters holds water.

I don't know what to tell you if you think that one man becoming the CEO means that x86 -> x86 is somehow too much for Sony and they no longer want to continue making money via digital spend on their PS4 games from PS5 customers. If Jim is coming on this late and telling the engineers to forget PS4 BC on PS5, do you honestly think he deserves to have been promoted for all the good he's brought to the business? PSVR games momentum starts from zero. Good job Jim. Revenue and player base from service games like PUBG and Fortnite resets to zero on a new platform. Good job Jim. If you think PS4 games on PS5 are less likely with Jim Ryan at the helm (even though with his excuse about GT games he was referring to old ass games... PS1/PS2 era) then I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited:

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I am so confused by this entire thread... the guy wouldnt have gotten to CEO if he hadnt done good things for the brand/community.

Its not like that one bad quote is going to change the future of Playstation completely. In other words, I honestly believe people are overreacting.

Whatever happens though, congrats to Jim and I wish him good luck.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This part is the key bit worrying Sony I guess?

They need Kodera in the area of his expertise to focus 100% on it in the face of ever stiffer competition.

Sounds like they're looking at rethinking services as a whole with as many new services coming from major players like Google and Amazon. Makes a lot of sense to roll Kodera into that position with how he's built up PSN.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with the amount of shit posting in here? Don Mattrick doomed the Xbox One for this entire generation. Jim Ryan has made a couple dumb comments but otherwise has made PlayStation into the powerhouse that they are in Europe. Anyone making these comparisons doesn't know what they are talking about.

Didn't Don basically also lead the Xbox 360 to dominate the American / UK market basically out of nowhere?

Success in the past doesn't guarantee you won't fuck it up next time around and this guys current statements regarding croosplay / backwards compatability sounds just as stupid and ludicrous as Don did with his "we have a console for those people" comment (and you could argue the vision Don put forward with Xbox one was actually very progressive and just ahead of its time whereas Jim's vision of zero croosplay / backwards compatability are the opposite being outdated and old fashioned)

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke guys. I'm taking the job.

I'm bringing crossplay BC to PS5 while playing PS1 Classics.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So... bigger focus on Streaming and expansion of Playstation Now content.

If i were to toss a bad bet now, i would say PS5 has Streaming Backwards Compatibility with all the Playstation console family. But only via streaming.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't PlayStation always dominated in Europe?

Giving all the credit to Jim Ryan seems a bit much

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
In this thread people will freak out because of an off-the-cuff comment he made about Gran Turismo once, but in reality this makes sense as Ryan is one of the main reasons behind PlayStation being a dominating force in Europe.
Lol yeah, people don't even know he was referring to Gran Turismo but the media portr
Ryan says dumb shit, especially about BC, but it's the old exec maneuver of shitting on whatever you don't have to make it seem unimportant. If they have it, he'll be singing its praises
Just like Phil Spencer being all for the original Xbox One's vision despite it not being popular. They do as they're told.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So... bigger focus on Streaming and expansion of Playstation Now content.

If i were to toss a bad bet now, i would say PS5 has Streaming Backwards Compatibility with all the Playstation console family. But only via streaming.

No idea about whether that could be true, but Shawn Layden's words in the Game Informer interview today do almost make you wonder about that possibility:

"What is it about having a streaming service like PlayStation Now that differentiates it from your other gaming experiences. Certainly I think one of the big benefits of PlayStation Now is its ability, on my PS4, to play the PS3 catalogue. One of the terrible circumstances of our gaming industry is that every time we launch a new console technology, we sort of put the last generation to bed. That doesn't occur in movies. That doesn't occur in music, but it occurs all the time in games. But PS Now is a way where all of a sudden you can bring back to life an entire PS3 catalogue though your PS4, through the streaming technology. It's kind of new, kind of different. You can see what that would suggest for the future, so I think that was a good experiment. Maybe we didn't explain it enough to really illustrate why it should be important to you."