• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So... bigger focus on Streaming and expansion of Playstation Now content.

If i were to toss a bad bet now, i would say PS5 has Streaming Backwards Compatibility with all the Playstation console family. But only via streaming.

I think this makes a lot of sense to be honest. I think they change the entry point to streaming to mean owning a digital copy of the game rather than being forced to subscribe to PSNow though and PSNow can exist as a separate sub as an instant game collection.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sounds like they're looking at rethinking services as a whole with as many new services coming from major players like Google and Amazon. Makes a lot of sense to roll Kodera into that position with how he's built up PSN.

It does make sense but didn't they see the competition coming or appreciate PSNs importance 16 months ago when they promoted Kodera?

Done now I guess.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It does make sense but didn't they see the competition coming or appreciate PSNs importance 16 months ago when they promoted Kodera?

Done now I guess.

I don't think they anticipated these services to get moving so quickly. I expect to see both Amazon and Google's services launch this year alongside the public beta of Project xCloud. If Apple is actually getting into as well it could be messy for everyone.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Well sucks. This guy's been sticking a foot up his mouth for the past 2-3 years with anti-consumer nonsense. That said, I come to Sony for its studios, and so long as the product they put out remains solid, things should hopefully be good.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
This thread went exactly as I expected when I read the title.

Jim Ryan has likely been one of the key people working to make Playstation as strong as it is in Europe yet you've got people taking some clumsy PR speak that's just following the Company line and acting like he's got some personal vendetta against cross platform play and backwards compatibility.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very conflicted with this guy, because on one hand he's been the president of SIEE for a long time and PlayStation has always been massive leader in Europe, so surely he knows his business, but on the other hand he is a *terrible* host in press conferences and lately he has been saying non sense on interviews.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very conflicted with this guy, because on one hand he's been the president of SIEE for a long time and PlayStation has always been massive leader in Europe, so surely he knows his business, but on the other hand he is a *terrible* host in press conferences and lately he has been saying non sense on interviews.

If anything the fact that he's now the CEO means that you'll see him a lot less as far as press conferences go. House would only come out for very special occasions, like console reveals. But outside of that the conferences were hosted by people in charge of that region. Even if you go back to the PS Meeting, House was on stage all that much. He came out at the beginning and then again toward the end.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The beginning of the end of Sony's winning streak?

Let's hope this guy won't be their Don Mattrick.

This guy actually made Sony the heavy gaming force in Europe as you know today.

He has a very good business sense, heck his comment on BC sort of makes sense when you put people who play new games vs old.. but I get people hating on it but we gotta give a chance since he did make Sony a behemoth in Europe.

This guy he managed to get people to get a PS3 despite 360 sucess back then.. it was very interesting move.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
The Children will be safe..He clearly has done a great job though considering Sony's European Dominance.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have anything against Jim Ryan, I was probably the one person on the planet that didn't care about backwards compatibility or cross play. I hope he does a good job.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the PR it seems this will allow Kodera to focus more on the Network side of things, which will be the key to Sony's growth. Good call overall, though not a fan of Jim Ryan much.

What is up with the amount of shit posting in here? Don Mattrick doomed the Xbox One for this entire generation. Jim Ryan has made a couple dumb comments but otherwise has made PlayStation into the powerhouse that they are in Europe. Anyone making these comparisons doesn't know what they are talking about.

No, doom n gloom is so much better.

Like at my job, they wanna put me on work that would seem like a demotion....

But it's the foundation, and when it starts messed up its messed up throughout until my team gets it.

They know if I do it it'll be done good, better.

My pay would stay the same, and I would be doing less or not have as much responsibility.

This doesn't necessary mean he was doing a bad job.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've had the feeling for a while that while Shawn Layden is great, he's up there at the top of the company with a lot of execs who are not so great.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Jim Ryan: "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much."

Do you think he is wrong?
Did you omit the "Why would anybody play this?" part on purpose?

However even if he's out of touch in that regard, his history does vindicate that he's clearly a good business man.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
So with Ryan beeing the CEO of SIE and Layden the President of the Word Wild Studios, does Ryan have the final word when it comes to greenlighting Projects, future directions and Studio Acquisitions? Or does Layden have a free hand in that section

Do we know Jim Ryans Stance (based on Interviews) on the First Party Studios and Games?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you believe that response is hostile, I don't know what to say.

1) You have no data supporting that claim that the majority has loudly told Sony that BC means little to them.
2) Remasters/ports are everywhere and not exclusive to PlayStation consoles.
3) There have been less remasters this gen from Sony - and they're less successful to boot. What do you think that means?

Just so you're aware, i've covered these points before in a conversation with you, so I don't know why you still believe arguing about remasters holds water.

I don't know what to tell you if you think that one man becoming the CEO means that x86 -> x86 is somehow too much for Sony and they no longer want to continue making money via digital spend on their PS4 games from PS5 customers. If Jim is coming on this late and telling the engineers to forget PS4 BC on PS5, do you honestly think he deserves to have been promoted for all the good he's brought to the business? PSVR games momentum starts from zero. Good job Jim. Revenue and player base from service games like PUBG and Fortnite resets to zero on a new platform. Good job Jim. If you think PS4 games on PS5 are less likely with Jim Ryan at the helm (even though with his excuse about GT games he was referring to old ass games... PS1/PS2 era) then I have a bridge to sell you.

We'll have to continue to agree to disagree.

The list of reasons against, is larger than the list of reasons for despite he list of reasons for making more sense.

Do I hope it's there? Yep.

Do I expect it to be there? Nope.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
So with Ryan beeing the CEO of SIE and Layden the President of the Word Wild Studios, does Ryan have the final word when it comes to greenlighting Projects, future directions and Studio Acquisitions? Or does Layden have a free hand in that section

Do we know Jim Ryans Stance (based on Interviews) on the First Party Studios and Games?

Layden is not the president of WWS, he's the chairman. Shu is the president and still in charge.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Oh the no bc guy.... welp that's a yikes from me. Especially when you consider how big digital distribution and gaas are these days. Imagine having to tell people to buy something like siege and it's passes again cause you don't have backwards compatibility with the PS4 version.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
We'll have to continue to agree to disagree.

The list of reasons against, is larger than the list of reasons for despite he list of reasons for making more sense.

Do I hope it's there? Yep.

Do I expect it to be there? Nope.
Another thread turned into a console war. Jim Ryan makes a basic statement some don't agree with...Sony must be doomed, who cares he was great at his job.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Both took terrible stances on things because they had to say what upper management told them to say. Phil had to openly embrace the original Xbox One vision because his bosses did. Jim had to go along with the narrative as well. Neither of them are dumb and both have contributed greatly to their product.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

If it's like most big corporations, there would be an approved budget for WWS each year, and Layden has the autonomy to allocate the funds to projects as he sees fit. Studio acquisitions though, probably has to go through the CEO and board of directors.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fine to me. He is one of the major reasons for making the ps so dominate in Europe. Plans have already been made with ps5 ppl

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Layden is not the president of WWS, he's the chairman. Shu is the president and still in charge.

hm you're right - its Yoshida

If it's like most big corporations, there would be an approved budget for WWS each year, and Layden has the autonomy to allocate the funds to projects as he sees fit. Studio acquisitions though, probably has to go through the CEO and board of directors.

i see - thanks. Got a little bit confusing with all those positions (Yoshida President WWS, Layden, Ryan) and who would have the final say regarding first party projects

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm
yikes....

jump out