• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any positives of this news lol

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Oh the no bc guy.... welp that's a yikes from me. Especially when you consider how big digital distribution and gaas are these days. Imagine having to tell people to buy something like siege and it's passes again cause you don't have backwards compatibility with the PS4 version.

Well yes, that's why there will be at least PS4 BC.

That's very different from his comment on games that are several generations old.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Guy is tremendously successful, from a business perspective at least. Sony keeps dominating in Europe and that's a very positive sign of this guy's competence in his job .

Despite his stupid quotes, I'm positive Sony can not ignore BC with the PS4 , it would be suicidal . So I guess this is taken care of, I certainly would think so. There's no way Sony is gonna go scorched land thing again after all the lengths MS is going to bring all of your library up to date.

I'm just glad it's not Shawn Lyden, since his face is so punchable. Ryan is pretty okay.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
And also to be expected. Can't even be bothered to complain about it anymore.

It's in this forums DNA to react to shit without reading or doing a modicum of research just to get their shit hot takes on the first page. It's like those "first!" posts that dominated forums like N4G.

Quite similar to when sports team switch coaches or managers etc.

Edit: I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just a collective kneejerk response quite common to passion based hobbies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Both took terrible stances on things because they had to say what upper management told them to say. Phil had to openly embrace the original Xbox One vision because his bosses did. Jim had to go along with the narrative as well. Neither of them are dumb and both have contributed greatly to their product.
giphy.gif

I'm going to go with a... no on that stretch, no amount of favourable comparisons to Spencer is going to save Jim from forum/media opinion. The negative opinion of Jim, is on him and no one else.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Yes, because it was about PS1 and PS2 era Gran Turismos looking ancient compared to PS3 and PS4 era Gran Turismos. Do you disagree?
I vehemently disagree. Jim might be good at what he does behind the scenes, but fuck backwards anti-consumer opinions like this. Who is he to question what people should and shouldn't play? 'Oh this looks ancient! Ick!' is a pathetic excuse for not offering BC, and totally out-of-touch.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I vehemently disagree. Jim might be good at what he does behind the scenes, but fuck backwards anti-consumer opinions like this. Who is he to question what people should and shouldn't play? 'Oh this looks ancient! Ick!' is a pathetic excuse for not offering BC, and totally out-of-touch.

He was defending a company stance. That's what all execs do. Remember when the SixAxis launched and Sony execs said that rumble didn't matter?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I think you are taking this a bit too serious..he was just toeing the company line all Execs do it...He clearly is good at what he does.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because it was about PS1 and PS2 era Gran Turismos looking ancient compared to PS3 and PS4 era Gran Turismos. Do you disagree?
PS2 Gran Turismo still looks great though. But you're also removing context as he applied this to BC and also said the feature isn't used much. And personally, I missed out on PS3 BC, and it was also not done all that well either from what I've seen. And their Classics line lacks many major titles.

Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company's once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that's where it'll remain. "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying that old games look worse than new games is now somehow anti consumer?

All right, that's enough for me today. I'm going to sleep.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm iffy and just feeling hmmmmmmm about this decision. Jim Ryan does tend to be the fall guy for some execs, and his PR is often very bad, but he also has done well in Europe. So I honestly don't know how to take the news.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Definitely inspires more confidence than Kodera. Jim is an OG that has managed to help PlayStation succeed in Europe.

Don't care about his past quotes since he was just toeing the company line, and it has no bearing on his performance or what's in store for the future.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading up on Ryan, wow. He's been with SIEE since 1994, and was the main dude in charge since 2011. Damn. He's been doing some good things over there.
Funny thing is, I only hear great stuff about Jim Ryan. Seems like it's amazing to work for him and he's a cool boss.
But all that doesn't matter because he made a cringy comment about PS1 BC a few years ago. Right? lmao.
Kodera hasn't been in that role long, has he? Did he replace Kaz?
He didn't. He replaced Andrew House. Kaz was the boss of the whole Sony Corp.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
You mean, "if you want to play PS3 games, there's a console for that" Jim? Must've got a promotion for protecting the kids. I don't think this is a good move. Way he communicates with his customers and media, he's from old school. Not in a good way.

I think this means Sony will be taking the tried and true path which will be great news for many. I don't expect accross the board crossplay anymore. To me this signifies a traditional path.

Jim is no Kaz

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
You mean, "if you want to play PS3 games, there's a console for that" Jim? Must've got a promotion for protecting the kids. I don't think this is a good move. Way he communicates with his customers and media, he's from old school. Not in a good way.

I think this means Sony will be taking the tried and true path which will be great news for many. I don't expect accross the board crossplay anymore. To me this signifies a traditional path.

Jim is no Kaz

how can someone seriously think that BC for Ps5 has the same value as it did for the current consoles.
It makes no sense from a business standpoint to cut of a 90 Mio User Base from the Next Generation.

PS5 will be BC (atleast with Ps4 Games) there is no question about that

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely inspires more confidence than Kodera. Jim is an OG that has managed to help PlayStation succeed in Europe.

Don't care about his past quotes since he was just toeing the company line, and it has no bearing on his performance or what's in store for the future.

Yeah exactly

- SIE Europe since 1994
- President SIE Europe in 2011 (led the business in more than 100 countries)
- Head of Global Sales & Marketing in Apr 2016
- Deputy President of SIE in Jan 2018
- Supported Kodera in developing PS Business

He definitely deserves that promotion and knows what is the best to do for the brand

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
He was defending a company stance. That's what all execs do. Remember when the SixAxis launched and Sony execs said that rumble didn't matter?
I think you are taking this a bit too serious..he was just toeing the company line all Execs do it...He clearly is good at what he does.
I get that he's just trying his best to justify a company stance, and I don't hate him for it. Though the way Jim responded showed he's out of touch and that he neither respects nor emphathises with why people want BC in the first place. If he truly understood that, I believe that he could have neatly resolved the issue just through politely explaining that backwards compatibility on the PS4 is problematic, and the investment into getting it working isn't feasible. Instead he effectively scoffed at the idea of anyone wanting to play older games.

Saying that old games look worse than new games is now somehow anti consumer?

All right, that's enough for me today. I'm going to sleep.
No. Read. At the end of the day he's trying to justify why they don't support BC with stupid reasons like 'It looks ancient'. How is that not anti-consumer.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Jim Ryan: "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much."

Do you think he is wrong?
Honestly? No. Only speaking personally, but BC always seemed like a luxury, and never was something that was a system seller. It's nice if something has it, but the lack of it won't stop me from buying a system. If I'm buying a new system, it's for the new games.
Anti-consumer has lost all meaning on this forum, word is abused to no end.
fucking thank you

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He will be their Phil Spencer since they have a lot in common.

Go on. Because I don't see anything of the sort. Sounds more like Mattrick "there's an X360 for offline play" then Phil. Mattrick was also hugely successful for MS during his tenure up until 2013.

Feb 10, 2018
Wasn't his BC comments about the fact that PS1 and PS2 games look like trash today(especially on todays tvs) and people actually don't want to play them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
how can someone seriously think that BC for Ps5 has the same value as it did for the current consoles.
It makes no sense from a business standpoint to cut of a 90 Mio User Base from the Next Generation.

PS5 will be BC (atleast with Ps4 Games) there is no question about that

There will be BC. That ball is already in motion. I think the crossplay ball stops here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
giphy.gif

I'm going to go with a... no on that stretch, no amount of favourable comparisons to Spencer is going to save Jim from forum/media opinion. The negative opinion of Jim, is on him and no one else.
Lol it's the same exact situation and who cares if Forum opinion doesn't change as long as he does a good job? Most of this forum is filled with negative opinions based on ignorance. They don't even know anything about what the guy has done or what he is about, just what some other sensational sites have reported on one issue.

The only legitimate complaint imo is he isn't good at public speaking. I'd rather have someone with an action initiative than a smooth talker who is only for PR. Of course both qualities are preferable but not everyone is a good public speaker.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Go on. Because I don't see anything of the sort. Sounds more like Mattrick "there's an X360 for offline play" then Phil. Mattrick was also hugely successful for MS during his tenure up until 2013.
You realize Spencer supported the vision Mattrick had, right? He's on record of thinking it was actually a good idea at the time. At least he had to say he was for it because his boss did.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, thread is a complete dumpster fire filled with nonsense.

Might as well lock it now, I don't know if it'll get any better.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Both took terrible stances on things because they had to say what upper management told them to say. Phil had to openly embrace the original Xbox One vision because his bosses did. Jim had to go along with the narrative as well. Neither of them are dumb and both have contributed greatly to their product.
They are also both human men. The similarities don't stop!

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's the same exact situation and who cares if Forum opinion doesn't change as long as he does a good job? Most of this forum is filled with negative opinions based on ignorance. They don't even know anything about what the guy has done or what he is about, just what some other sensational sites have reported on one issue.

The only legitimate complaint imo is he isn't good at public speaking. I'd rather have someone with an action initiative than a smooth talker who is only for PR. Of course both qualities are preferable but not everyone is a good public speaker.
giphy.gif

They're both white, old, humans and heads... I'll give you that ;P

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't he the guy who made up bullshit excuse/lies about blocking crossplay -- protecting the children or is that someone else?

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
All this movement that has been going on at SIE, is probably caused by differences when it comes to the PS5 development. I think they are having a hard time figuring out how to replicate the success of the PS4. The PS5 could be a huge sucess or not, but in the meantime, it's causing a lot of trouble for Sony.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Only this forum would make judgements on a human being and his career based off a few PR answers from the past they didn't like.