• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you guys get it? Don Mattrick has been pulling a Scooby-Doo villain by disguising himself as Jim Ryan for all these years.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like people in this thread don't know Mattrick too oversaw the most successful period the 360 experienced.

Until he too started saying dumb shit like "We have a console for you..."
So what you are trying to say is that you are happy that Jim Ryan is the new head of Sony Interactive Entertainment?

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Sony playing the long game. Bookmark this, everyone knows his stance on BC, get interent riled up, announce BC backwards to PS1, internet goes crazy, reinstate Kodera

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I do love how people think 1 person is responsible for anything these mega corporations do. Whether it be Jim, Mattrick, Phil or whoever. If you seriously think Jim is going to completely change whatever the PS5 is at the moment, I don't know what to tell you. The PS5 will likely be mostly set in stone at this point, Jim would have played a likely significant role in setting it too.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Guys guys!! I'm getting strong Iwata vibes from this Jim guy! He was in charge during SingStar™ and Buzz. PS5 will be a microphone that plays games on a double TV.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You never answered my question, how are the two even related? What are you saying that Ryan will do to PS what Mattrick did to Xbox? It wasn't just Mattrick. Spencer and others were fully behind the Xbox one vision. Mattrick will be blamed for any issues with Xbox two at this rate.

huh? I did answer your question.You're so worked up you're not even reading posts it seems.

You asked what they have to do with each other. I told you I've seen comparisons in this thread. You started by quoting me remember?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for Jim to come out during the PS5 reveal and start throwing PS1s at people. Saying "here's your fucking backwards compatibility."

Jan 20, 2019
Sony Japan still calls the shots about the PS5 at the end of the day and Cerny and Co. are likely on the same level as Ryan. I say doom and gloom when we see the PS5 have no BC.

The CEO and the board of Sony Corp are the ones calling the shots, every body else has a boss to talk too.

Jim will be there to do the work of managing SIE. the ps5 future, BC and Cross Play are decisions made buy the board and the CEO of Sony Corp.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
huh? I did answer your question.You're so worked up you're not even reading posts it seems.

You asked what they have to do with each other. I told you I've seen comparisons in this thread. You started by quoting me remember?
It's a dumb comparison that makes no sense, that's the point. You seemed to agree there was some connection or relevance and even elaborate on it so I quoted you.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
The CEO and the board of Sony Corp are the ones calling the shots, every body else has a boss to talk too.

Jim will be there to do the work of managing SIE. the ps5 future, BC and Cross Play are decisions made buy the board and the CEO of Sony Corp.
Uuh, those decisions are exactly what "managing SIE" is. There's no way the CEO of will force his will on SIE lol. The CEO is there to put the right people in the right position, not dictating a product's feature set.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm

First thing I think of when I see that name. Not a good thing to think of.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I have to wonder just how many people here actually know what Jim Ryan said when crying about his evil stances on BC. Did a quick Google, here's what he said:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,"

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Some people acting like he came out and condemned BC. He did not. The fear mongering and concern trolling in here has been crazy. These 2 small quotes do not define the man, for fucks sake.

Regarding the "for the children" thing about crossplay, guessing that was a company line he had to quote since PlayStation was still deliberating things at the time.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Kodera must be doing something really badly to be replaced so soon
He was just Interim...

Uuh, those decisions are exactly what "managing SIE" is. There's no way the CEO of will force his will on SIE lol. The CEO is there to put the right people in the right position, not dictating a product's feature set.
Most of these comments are from folks who have no idea how business runs.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a dumb comparison that makes no sense, that's the point. You seemed to agree there was some connection or relevance and even elaborate on it so I quoted you.

Not saying a connection either. I've seen both these things in this thread:

1) Jim Ryan has done amazing work in Europe
2) Jim Ryan is Sony's Mattrick

I'm saying:

1) Mattrick too did amazing work on the 360
2) Yeah, Mattrick too said dumb shit

Which way people will choose to interpret any Mattrick connection will be completely up to them. But Mattrick did both great and bad things for Xbox.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not saying a connection either. I've seen both these things in this thread:

1) Jim Ryan has done amazing work in Europe
2) Jim Ryan is Sony's Mattrick

I'm saying:

1) Mattrick too did amazing work on the 360
2) Yeah, Mattrick too said dumb shit

Which way people will choose to interpret any Mattrick connection will be completely up to them. But Mattrick did both great and bad things for Xbox.
So like every executive then?

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
This is unfortunate. From a player-focused perspective, Jim Ryan seems to be one of the worst executives Sony has.

Edit: Adding a note in here because people took this somewhat inflammatory, and somewhat the wrong way. I think Ryan will do fine from a business perspective. I am worried he will not be great from a player perspective, but am happy to be proven wrong. Link to my later post, sorry if this was originally seen antagonistically.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy who is one of the leading people making Playstation dominate in Europe is giving you Don Mattrick vibes? How?

Not saying he hasnt done a great job but there are some facts to take into consideration in regards to sony dominating in europe:

1) Nintendo only got serious about europe taking full charge of their products distribution by late 2007 or so, with the wii and ds boom. Before that their consoles(home specially) were not very relevant here. So sony has 10 years plus of consistent good work and mass market penetration compared to nintendo.

2) Sega used to dominate the console market here in the early 90s but when they quit on the saturn, it was game over for them in europe and by 98 playstation had taken their position and took all their clients.

3) Xbox never ressonated with the european market in a significative way outside ot the uk.

So, of course that sony had great merit recognizing what their costumers in europe like and by and large even in the ps3 gen they stayed faithful to the brand. But it really has been an easy slam dunk for them since sega left the saturn to die, nintendo now appeals to a different demographic and/or doesnt compete quite directly with them

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes as an enthusiast given his past stances and statements, but dude is great on his job so of course. Hopefully what he said doesn't come through, I need that BC and crossplay

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
They probably want Kodera to stay on PSN and keep it profitable. Honestly I'd probably do the same.