• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I love how those being called out refuse to respond lmao.

Im convinced most of you have the understanding of a corporate structure with the viewpoint of a McDonald's janitor.

Last edited:

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
lol at these over reactions.
Explain this one boss.
The stupidity in here is real...

Unless I'm forgetting something, Jim Ryan is the one who said:
  • Both "It is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much" and "Why would anyone play this?" About backwards compatibility.
  • Basically talked about how they had to think of the children in regards to Crossplay.

None of those statements are either consumer-first thinking nor future-tech thinking. And the CEO of a company division helps set the current vision for the workforce. The person in that role doesn't do it a vacuum, but they definitely have influence.

So I'm confused on the above remarks about my statement/opinion on his appointment? I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm not seeing anything in this thread (other than him not being much of one for censorship, which conflicts with his statement about watching out for the children) that seems to show otherwise?

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I just saw this news on Twitter a few minutes ago and I came here expecting some people to be pretending like the world is ending for Sony because they got in their feelings over some PR comments by good ol JR.

Well, it's nice to see things are as expected. I even see that cute thing where people make the same looking comment trying to sell the same joke lol..OMG NO BC FOR PS5!!!

Era's excitement over acting like Sony has doom and gloom set for next gen is not only hilarious, but so predictable. Sony making moves quietly about their future and at the same time skipping a year of PSX and E3 has really got people out here playing creative drama to fill in the silence.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Jim "Won't somebody please think of the children" Ryan

Such a riveting choice

Oct 27, 2017
  • Both "It is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much" and "Why would anyone play this?" About backwards compatibility.
  • Basically talked about how they had to think of the children in regards to Crossplay.

None of those statements are either consumer-first thinking nor future-tech thinking. And the CEO of a company division helps set the current vision for the workforce. The person in that role doesn't do it a vacuum, but they definitely have influence.

So I'm confused on the above remarks about my opinion above?

So the man responsible for PS dominating Europe is the worst possible pick ever because he was towing the company line in PR? Ok.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
seems like a solid leader for Sony, its a good move as Sony is destroying MS in Europe. Dont get why peeps are hating this.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You have a link/source for that?
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation for why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
I wish I felt one way or the other like most here, but aside from Yoshida, I found most of the Sony higher ups to be kinda bellends who either say something dumb or say a whole lot without saying nothing with poor public speaking skills.

I liked presentations by Mark Cerny, but he's a tech guy.

Whatever happens, I hope we see an increase in Japanese first party exclusives on the PS5 otherwise it would be hard to convince me to buy one.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there's people here comparing Jim to Mattrick?

giphy.gif

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So I'm confused on the above remarks about my statement/opinion on his appointment? I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm not seeing anything in this thread (other than him not being much of one for censorship, which conflicts with his statement about watching out for the children) that seems to show otherwise?
As has been pointed out plenty of times about the Backward compatibility quote, he wasn't talking about it as a whole. If you read the quote he was talking about PS1 and PS2 games and how they looked and you know what? He isn't wrong. Most people would not be playing those game if they had the option to. He never said it about PS3 games. The man isn't against Backwards compatibility like so many people want to accuse him of.

Now his comment about Cross-Play was weird but it also could've been a company thing and not his belief. When you are taking orders you have to say what you are told.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
So the man responsible for PS dominating Europe is the worst possible pick ever because he was towing the company line in PR? Ok.

Unless SIE Europe has a different strategy than SIE NA and SIE Japan, I don't see him having any hand in their dominance of the EU. That said, I think he'll do just fine from a business perspective for Sony. Backwards Compatibility and Crossplay won't end the PS4/PS5 or anything.

The above said, I don't understand the comparisons to Mattrick in the thread, though. Mattrick basically wanted to go against all trends in the market for his platform and be anti-consumer. I don't think Ryan is anything like that.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
As has been pointed out plenty of times about the Backward compatibility quote, he wasn't talking about it as a whole. If you read the quote he was talking about PS1 and PS2 games and how they looked and you know what? He isn't wrong. Most people would not be playing those game if they had the option to. He never said it about PS3 games. The man isn't against Backwards compatibility like so many people want to accuse him of.

This is not true at all there are MANY PS1 games people would like to go back and play. Hell if they put some of those on the PS Classic maybe it wouldn't have cratered.

Same thing with the PS2. There are even MORE games on that that people would love to revisit than on the PS1.

I play OG Xbox and 360 games on my X just as much as I do modern games.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I mean - hasn't Playstation been dominant in Europe for decades now? Is Jim Ryan responsible for that success, or was he just the beneficiary of overseeing a strong and established brand? Anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine - seems like a safe choice.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean - hasn't Playstation been dominant in Europe for decades now? Is Jim Ryan responsible for that success, or was he just the beneficiary of overseeing a strong and established brand? Anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine - seems like a safe choice.
Doesn't matter. Jim Ryan was mean to PSOne BC. Evil Jim Ryan!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
He's been there since the start. Obviously not the sole reason, but he'd have played a big part. It's not a fluke that PlayStation has dominated a market the other 2 have struggled in and still are. Though Nintendo are doing good with the Switch.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, so in this timeline was the completely backwards compatible phat PS3 a runaway success or something?

I seem to remember....differently.

mostly just being silly as I know there were other issues holding back the PS3 launch....

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
No, I've seen comparisons in this thread to both Spencer (in a positive light) and Mattrick (in a negative light), which completely ignores that Mattrick was responsible for the 360's best period. Until he started saying dumb shit.

Mr Ed, I'm going to have to contest you on that. That's like when Tom Brady is leading the Patriots to a blowout, then they put the backup in and the backup takes credit for the win for barely holding on.

He had nothing to do with Xbox winning hardcore early. Kinect was Mattricks baby and yes he oversold the shit out of it and Microsoft raked in big bucks. It cost microsoft trust and reputation which carried over to Mattricks first start...in which he threw a pick returned for a touchdown on his first play.

Fuck Mattrick. Fuck Myerson.

Difference here for Sony is Jim controls the purse strings. He won't pull Sony 1st party funding like Myerson did. Still says dumb shit and I'm not confident his old school style is a fit for the upcoming environment. I agree the only comparable to Mattrick is saying dumb shit.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
I know in ERA people care a lot about BC, but in the real world is not essential by any means. Majority of the people who buy new consoles end up just playing their CoD, Esport, Rockstar game and some exclusives with higher graphics. They aren't even playing last gen games because they're "Dated". The only way to make a significant amount of people play an old game is with a Remaster that "upgrades visuals" or full on remakes.

So I don't think he was wrong by any means with his BC statement. Your product doesn't have to cover every single gaming need out there if you know the investment won't be worth it. At the end of the day, they're a company trying to make the most profit out of their business.

Said so, ps5 will have it with ps4 so the forum people are able to chill (And essentially because it won't be as hard to do as Ps3 in Ps4).

Cross-Play is another story (PR bullshit story).

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People losing their shit and people caping hard for a businessman. Just all round cringe in this thread

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that the design goals for a potential PS5 are already set and the addition of Jim Ryan in the spring of 2019 will not alter those design goals.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
I hope you do understand that PS vs XBO ratio here in Europe is 3:1 at the very least. PS booths are present at every major public events even in Russia, PS is sponsoring UEFA (and ton of other major sports events), Gran Turismo logo is plastered all over the Old World's top-tier racing leagues and they've just finished a year with FIA Gala Gran Turismo Award in St. Petersburg.

All of this domination is based pretty much on Jim Ryan's competence and business sense. Even his remarks (except stupid corporate BS 'but children', but it was clearly just dumb input from PR) about BC were harsh, but they were sincere and meaningful. Try to play Ace Combat 5 via PS2 BC, it's shit on a modern 4K TV, sorry to break it to ya.

Jim Ryan is the most capable, competent and successful manager at SIE at the moment, so please, stop with this cheap drama.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you do understand that PS vs XBO ration here in Europe is 3:1 at the very least. PS booths are present at every major public events even in Russia, PS is sponsoring UEFA (and ton of other major sports events), Gran Turismo logo is plastered all over the Old World's top-tier racing leagues and they've just finished a year with FIA Gala Gran Turismo Award in St. Petersburg.

All of this domination is based pretty much on Jim Ryan's competence and business sense. Even his remarks (except stupid corporate BS 'but children', but it was clearly just dumb input from PR) about BC were harsh, but they were sincere and meaningful. Try to play Ace Combat 5 via PS2 BC, it's shit on a modern 4K TV, sorry to break it to ya.

Jim Ryan is the most capable, competent and successful manager at SIE at the moment, so please, stop with this cheap drama.

I don't disagree with the majority of this, and as my original statement said, I was talking from a player-only perspective which could be problematic if his statements were accurate to his beliefs.

I think he'll do fine from a business sense, and do truly hope that most of his PR "gaffs"/towing the line as some have said was just that.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Wait, so in this timeline was the completely backwards compatible phat PS3 a runaway success or something?

I seem to remember....differently.

mostly just being silly as I know there were other issues holding back the PS3 launch....
it being $599 didn't help, and games looking worse then 360 counterparts, also see why why XBO being $100 more and games looking worse the ps4 games.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Kodera must be doing something really badly to be replaced so soon

Kodera's been with Sony for 27 years.

He spearheaded PSN, PS+ and PS Now initiatives, which means he's responsible for the insanely profitable cashcow that PSN is currently for Sony. He's moving back into that position once again, which was seemingly his decision if you read the press release, to propel PS5's offerings and the future of Playstation. (again, as stated in the press release)

Reading really isn't that difficult.