• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not true at all there are MANY PS1 games people would like to go back and play. Hell if they put some of those on the PS Classic maybe it wouldn't have cratered.

Same thing with the PS2. There are even MORE games on that that people would love to revisit than on the PS1.

I play OG Xbox and 360 games on my X just as much as I do modern games.
OK there are a few that I would play too. For the most part though I wouldn't spend much time on playing games that old and most people wouldn't which is what he was saying. It's a niche thing especially for games that old. The fact remains that the man isn't against BC as a whole as he wasn't referring to PS3 titles. He was saying why would someone go back and play Gran Turismo 1 or 2 when you can play the newest one. Most people are not going to play GT1 or GT2 over GT Sport. They just look too bad at this point.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
it being $599 didn't help, and games looking worse then 360 counterparts, also see why why XBO being $100 more and games looking worse the ps4 games.

Like I said, I am mostly being silly, as there were plenty of other issues.
But I do think it shows that it's not as big of a value proposition as most people try to make it to be, which is directly in line with Ryan's stance.

PS3 phat wasn't even the normal software emulation solution, correct?
Those phat PS3s actually included PS2 chips in the hardware iirc.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
OK there are a few that I would play too. For the most part though I wouldn't spend much time on playing games that old and most people wouldn't which is what he was saying. It's a niche thing especially for games that old. The fact remains that the man isn't against BC as a whole as he wasn't referring to PS3 titles. He was saying why would someone go back and play Gran Turismo 1 or 2 when you can play the newest one. Most people are not going to play GT1 or GT2 over GT Sport. They just look too bad at this point.

I would absolutely play GT2 over GT Sport, and have recently. I really enjoy GT Sport, but I love the career of GT2. I would also go back to GT4 over GT Sport. Or GT6.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Unless SIE Europe has a different strategy than SIE NA and SIE Japan, I don't see him having any hand in their dominance of the EU.

How would you possibly in any way know this to say it with any kind of authority or certainty? What do you or anyone else here possibly know about what his job responsibilities are, let alone whether or not he does them well? You are just writing the narrative first and making shit up to fit it. Some of the shit in this thread is embarrassingly stupid.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm
It's a fucking PR statement. We all know the real reason why the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible is because it wasn't really feasible at the time because either adding the cell processor or emulating the cell processor would've been way too costly. PS5 will probably have backwards compatibility. Hell, that's probably going to be the headlining feature and he's going to forget he even said that.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Aside from not being a fan of this decision (unless Jim Ryan publicly comes out in favor of backward compatibility at some point), I wonder why he and Kodera swapped jobs with Kodera only having the title for less than 2 years.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
How would you possibly in any way know this to say it with any kind of authority or certainty? What do you or anyone else here possibly know about what his job responsibilities are, let alone whether or not he does them well? You are just writing the narrative first and making shit up to fit it. Some of the shit in this thread is embarrassingly stupid.

I am not intending to come off that way, but to be fair others are somehow attributing SCE/SIE EU's success to him specifically as well, so your statement applies to both sides of that.

That said based off your (and others') response it seems like some in the thread are taking my stance antagonistically, which I absolutely do not mean it to. So I apologize for any frustration and/or offense, and will hush up now.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It's a fucking PR statement. We all know the real reason why the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible is because it wasn't really feasible at the time because either adding the cell processor or emulating the cell processor would've been way too costly. PS5 will probably have backwards compatibility. Hell, that's probably going to be the headlining feature and he's going to forget he even said that.
Any decisions on backwards compatibility have already been made on PS5. Jim doesn't have anything to do with that anyway.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Aside from not being a fan of this decision (unless Jim Ryan publicly comes out in favor of backward compatibility at some point), I wonder why he and Kodera swapped jobs with Kodera only having the title for less than 2 years.

Kodera wanted to work with services/network again.

Comment from John Kodera:

"I have been discussing with Yoshida-san the need to drive SIE to the next phase in our rapidly changing business environment, and realize the evolution of the PlayStation® platform and further enriching the user experiences made possible through the network, which is an essential value that people expect in the entertainment PlayStation® provides. As a result, we have concluded that the best direction is for Jim to take the helm of the overall management of SIE, and for me to spearhead the network area to continue creating innovative services and experiences, where competition continues to intensify with many new players joining the business. Jim has extensive knowledge around the game business and industry, as well as deep understanding of the PlayStation® culture and strengths. I am confident that he will lead us to greater success as CEO of SIE. I will continue to support Jim by contributing to further strengthening user engagement, and to the overall growth of the PlayStation® business. I also aim to leverage my experience and accumulated expertise to contribute to strengthening the Sony Group's DX (Digital Transformation) strategy."

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
The reactions in this thread are pretty embarassing. Clearly very few people read the actual press release where it essentially states why Kodera is changing roles. Secondly, good for Jim Ryan. I've laughed at some of the things he's said before but I don't hold a grudge against the guy like everyone else seems too... he knows what he's doing and I'm sure he'll do a fine job.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Like I said, I am mostly being silly, as there were plenty of other issues.
But I do think it shows that it's not as big of a value proposition as most people try to make it to be, which is directly in line with Ryan's stance.

PS3 phat wasn't even the normal software emulation solution, correct?
Those phat PS3s actually included PS2 chips in the hardware iirc.
I think the importance of BC has changed over the last 2-3 years if you think about a services that could make use of it. Maybe that is the reason people are now skeptical about the stance Jim Ryan stated.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Exactly. He was selling a console without BC, of course he was going to downplay it. What was he supposed to say, "Yes, that's an important feature our competitor has that isn't feasible for us to match?"

When the PS5 comes out and has BC, he'll talk it up as a great reason to stick with the PlayStation ecosystem. All your PS4 games and purchases transfer seamlessly to PlayStation 5! Wow!

I don't get why ResetEra reads so much into PR fluff responses. The cross-play "protect the children" thing is the same. In its leading position Sony doesn't benefit from allowing cross-play with competitors, but he can't come out and say that's the reason because that doesn't benefit users. So he'll spin it as creating a secure play environment or whatever. And if mounting public and developer pressure causes Sony to change their position on crossplay, he'll talk about it as a great thing they're doing for their users and the need to protect the children won't even be mentioned.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can't stand the guy. He doesn't represent the best that Playstation can be. He normally seems like the worst that they can be, from some of the stuff he's said.

"I've reduced his performance during a 20+ year corporate career to a couple of statements where he towed the company line and determined he represents the worst of them"

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I think the importance of BC has changed over the last 2-3 years if you think about a services that could make use of it. Maybe that is the reason people are now skeptical about the stance Jim Ryan stated.
To be fair the two most popular consoles of last two years have no backwards capability. So I don't think it's really that important to the casual audience.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Cheap, cheap talk until Sony does something about it. No, words, no commitment and no promises. Sony's actions (including now) amount to hot air, Corp. run around and PR speak with no action. Maybe, Sony doesn't intend on including this feature. They may feel they don't need it. Sony doesn't think it needs cross-play?

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Cool. That doesn't mean he is wrong because you would though. Most people aren't playing PS1 or PS2 games today.

Simply because there isn't a convenient way to do it today aside from pulling out and hooking up the old systems. And with some of them you run into the HDMI problem as many modern TVs don't have connections for a PS1 or PS2 composite, S-Video, or even component input. There's a market of people producing HDMI solutions for older consoles because, gasp, people still want to play the games they've invested a lot of money into. But again, right now there's not a real easy way to play your PS1 or PS2 games without hunting down one of those custom-made adapters.

If you could just put a PS1 or PS2 disc in your PS4 and play it via HDMI on your modern 4K TV (like you can with Xbox and 360 games on the Xbox One), people WOULD play them. There's just that barrier of convenience that exists right now.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simply because there isn't a convenient way to do it today aside from pulling out and hooking up the old systems. And with some of them you run into the HDMI problem as many modern TVs don't have connections for a PS1 or PS2 composite, S-Video, or even component input. There's a market of people producing HDMI solutions for older consoles because, gasp, people still want to play the games they've invested a lot of money into. But again, right now there's not a real easy way to play your PS1 or PS2 games without hunting down one of those custom-made adapters.

If you could just put a PS1 or PS2 disc in your PS4 and play it via HDMI on your modern 4K TV (like you can with Xbox and 360 games on the Xbox One), people WOULD play them. There's just that barrier of convenience that exists right now.
You and I will just have to disagree about this. From what I see there aren't a ton of people playing the Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and even less are going to play PS1 and PS2 games that look and control far worse than last gen games do. Just b/c a tiny, niche audience might doesn't mean it's relevant.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
What did people really expect him to say about BC? His response was pretty bad but it confirmed what has happened so far: PS4 does not have any type of BC and most likely will not have until the end of it's life.

Would anyone like to see any Sony executivs promising retro-compatibility and not delivering until the end of the generation? Or people actually believed he would say something like: "We were complete idiots for not putting BC on PS4, please buy an Xbox One and help a company that is really supporting it"

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This.

The reactions in this thread are pretty embarassing. Clearly very few people read the actual press release where it essentially states why Kodera is changing roles. Secondly, good for Jim Ryan. I've laughed at some of the things he's said before but I don't hold a grudge against the guy like everyone else seems too... he knows what he's doing and I'm sure he'll do a fine job.
Agreed. He's said some crazy stuff at times, hopefully to be the one taking the hit, but he's also been there a long time and has seemingly been extremely successful during that time.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
I hope someday people would understand that games form CRT-era is a poor match for current gen LCD/OLED/AMOLED panels. For many-many-many reasons, but mainly because of assets. I've remembered Ace Combat 5 as beatiful game, but even with proper BC and clever upscaling it downright ugly right now (got mine with AC 7). Assets from the old games were never meant to be seen on HDTVs, let alone 4K panels. Even some effects and textures were made with CRT softness in mind.

If you really want to play ANY retro game from your closet, you can always buy RetroPie with HDMI out for like 60 bucks. The truth is, It's hard to find time to play some new games (my current backlog is a nightmare), let alone play old titles from 2 generations ago. And that's why basically Ryan is right. BC is a good PR when you don't have actual 1st party game library, but it's hardly a really requested feature in general.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
If we're drawing comparisons to other executives Jim is more like Tom Kalinske Pres of Sega of America in the 90s than Mattrick.

torresregen

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
Lowkey proud for the guy. Kind of been following his career and to see him get to the very top is amazing after joining in 1994.

One thing Sony have done continuously even in the PS3 era is absolutely wiped for the floor with Microsoft and Nintendo in Europe

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not intending to come off that way, but to be fair others are somehow attributing SCE/SIE EU's success to him specifically as well, so your statement applies to both sides of that.

That said based off your (and others') response it seems like some in the thread are taking my stance antagonistically, which I absolutely do not mean it to. So I apologize for any frustration and/or offense, and will hush up now.
We already know Sony's three regions operate independently. This has been commented on by them in the past. Jim Ryan has also commented on it himself, while speaking about the differences in the markets and their approaches. You can even see it in how SIEE tends to be a lot better about bundles as well as retailer specific advertising among other things.

While SIE may have an overall strategy for the product, there isn't some board determining how everyone is supposed to execute strategy across all of their operations. Each region has a leadership team, and then you have a global leadership team (this consists of the top executives at the company only). The global leadership team is what sets the strategy for the business, and then regional one executes it based on their respective specialties in their regions, and according to their market approach. In particular SIEE is responsible for over 100 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. They're basically the biggest operation in SIE. Jim Ryan, before becoming president of SIEE in 2011, was the executive vice-president of Finance at SIEE. He was responsible for managing all aspects relating to that, including being chiefly responsible for analyzing and reporting on data that would aid in management's decisions. That's the important part because it's basically your backbone. Sony's expansion in Europe in the last decade or so, as well as their increased presence in the Middle East etc. has happened under his guidance. The very reason he'll have been promoted to head of SIEE in 2011 will likely have been due to how well they managed to position PS3 in EMEA despite the disastrous global strategy and it's because of the performance of SIEE in particular that the generation wasn't as bad as it could've been.

And besides that, this dude was involved in the PS4 strategy too. The strategy for these systems isn't set up by one person. They have a global leadership team for a reason. That team is basically the advisory position to the CEO. They bring their respective data, insights, and analysis, and it's off that which the CEO determines what his vision is and what to do. And these dudes will likely have extensive discussions and meetings about what they feel is the right thing to do. It's not one guy simply calling the shots and everyone following. The CEO is ultimately responsible and will have a vision, but it's still a team effort for the most part.

Like, we can rip the dude for his comments or whatever, but the man has a strong history of success within the company. And disregarding that, he's not going to suddenly change everything about Playstation just because he's CEO. For one, he's still working with the same leadership team, and they will likely have a goal in place already, which he will have been part of setting up in the first place since he's been part of that team for a long time.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. People are a bit too hung up on that statement as if he wasn't told that narrative to say as it's alot better than stating the real reason is a technological one when your competitor can do it.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope someday people would understand that games form CRT-era is a poor match for current gen LCD/OLED/AMOLED panels. For many-many-many reasons, but mainly because of assets. I've remembered Ace Combat 5 as beatiful game, but even with proper BC and clever upscaling it downright ugly right now (got mine with AC 7). Assets from the old games were never meant to be seen on HDTVs, let alone 4K panels. Even some effects and textures were made with CRT softness in mind.

If you really want to play ANY retro game from your closet, you can always buy RetroPie with HDMI out for like 60 bucks. The truth is, It's hard to find time to play some new games (my current backlog is a nightmare), let alone play old titles from 2 generations ago. And that's why basically Ryan is right. BC is a good PR when you don't have actual 1st party game library, but it's hardly a really requested feature in general.
My thoughts exactly.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I feel like everyone is scared.

Who's everyone? You mean ERA aka users with zero business experience in the real world?

Asking ERA for how to run a business, let alone a successful one is like akin to asking EtcetERA to run a country. Everyone 'thinks' their way of doing things in their mind will result in everything being infinitely better than what it is now.