• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That PR statement wasn't about PS3 games, but PS1 games. So the PS4 isn't powerful enough to emulate the PS1? Even though the PSP, Vita, PSTV and PS3 can do it, and run PS1 games purchased from the PS Store?
I'm pretty sure PS1 and PS2 stuff weren't actually selling especially the PS2 classics on PS4. Another thing to keep in mind is they have the numbers, we don't so he's in a way better position to make a statement like that than random forum poster #612. Plus I'm pretty sure this statement was more in the context of the PS3 and PS3 BC is impossible on the PS4.

Nov 30, 2017
Well here come the tidal wave of negative press articles so theres that..

Give the guy a chance. Obviously Sony sees this as some kind of good move.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly this means PSN is coming to Xbox Live--- and by de facto result, the Nintendo Switch right?

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
So the PS4 isn't powerful enough to emulate the PS1?
The last thing you'll want to see on your 4K HDR panel is 640 by 480 RE2 background. Let's be honest, it's not about the capability of running PSX BC, but about pure common sense.

I've bought what, 5 PS1 titles on PS3? They were ugly even on my 720p panel, including my beloved FF VIII (20 years, wow). Sometime games are too old to be sold via the actual market channels. You don't ask your local Best Buy to sell you Genesis games, right? I believe Ryan, unlike ERA experts, looked at the data about PSX games sales via PS3 PSN. Somehow I think they were quite poor so they've decided to pull the plug on PS4. And who can blame them? It's not like Switch is offering you N64 titles via Eshop, but they're doing just fine on the market.

For your itching nostalgia there is a ton of HDMI dirt-cheap retro computers out there. Heck, you can even emulate PS1 games on NES/SNES Mini.
Clearly this means PSN is coming to Xbox Live--- and by de facto result, the Nintendo Switch right?
PSN will be Epic Store exclusive, yeah

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

giphy.gif

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think the importance of BC has changed over the last 2-3 years if you think about a services that could make use of it. Maybe that is the reason people are now skeptical about the stance Jim Ryan stated.

Maybe. But I still think the importance is a bit over-blown by a loud minority.
I mean, it's a great bonus for me personally and one reason why I jumped in on the PS3 early, but I don't think there is any real evidence that it's an actual important feature for the majority of players.
My phat PS3 is still running (last time I checked at least) and I actually use it more for PS1/PS2 games than anything else.

I still expect them to go all-in with BC for PS5 though, because nowadays a loud minority can control the narrative very easily
and they will see it as an easy way to get some good word of mouth.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Plus I'm pretty sure this statement was more in the context of the PS3 and PS3 BC is impossible on the PS4.
No.
"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

For your itching nostalgia there is a ton of HDMI dirt-cheap retro computers out there. Heck, you can even emulate PS1 games on NES/SNES Mini.
So piracy is the answer, cool.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's a great bonus for me personally and one reason why I jumped in on the PS3 early.
My phat PS3 is still running (last time I checked at least) and I actually use it more for PS1/PS2 games than anything else.
I think it's also important to note the context of BC comments by Sony. They're not going to praise backwards compatibility when Microsoft has focused on it so much, and a lot of the questions surrounding BC for PS4 usually come from that particular angle. (Microsoft is doing so well with it. What are Sony's plans?) That context for the conversation will always exist simply because it's been such a big focus for Sony's competitor. They're obviously not going to make it seem like it's important or significant and instead try to diminish it. And beyond the hardcore fans, no one will take notice of such comments. (And these comments will also mean nothing to the hardcore if they turn around and offer it with the PS5.)

The first time it was announced by Microsoft, you had Jim Ryan referring to resources and software engineers (basically the equivalent of admitting they don't have the availability to start focusing on it and their current direction lies elsewhere). That says nothing about what they may be planning for PS5 and I'd imagine it's almost certainly going to be backwards compatible with PS4 for strategy reasons alone, and that's the real significant one.

Basically, they're going to try and control the narrative and that will likely be best done when they actually announce plans for the PS5 and what it is. Rather than talking up the importance of BC right now when they no intention or potential resource available to actually deliver on it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arrogant Sony has returned. No BC $699 PS5 incoming.

I don't know about you, but this has made me want to get a new PC and use the epic game store for next gen.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, it's a great bonus for me personally and one reason why I jumped in on the PS3 early, but I don't think there is any real evidence that it's an actual important feature for the majority of players.

I still expect them to go all-in with BC for PS5 though, because nowadays a loud minority can control the narrative very easily
and they will see it as an easy way to get some good word of mouth.
It is another option that can be used by consumers which in my eyes isn't a bad thing. Nobody forces you to use it but it is there for those who want to use it. I am personally have played a lot of BC games on the Xbox One. I am the type of gamer doesn't keep old hardware so I said fare well to my Xbox 360 and PS3 very early into this gen.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
People beat the BC horse enough that its now a huge issue. I dont understand why but it is what it is.

Sony needs two SKU at launch. One that plays PS4 and back. The other to play PS5 and forward.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People beat the BC horse enough that its now a huge issue. I dont understand why but it is what it is.

Sony needs two SKU at launch. One that plays PS4 and back. The other to play PS5 and forward.

Why can't it not do both? It's no longer a hardware issue.

And what does 'I don't understand why' mean? You don't see why people are happy to play Tekken 6, RDR or Panzer Dragoon Orta on X1?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Wow that was fast. Has Kodera ever talked on the stage? I couldn't even remember his face.

i don't think so, no....at least not on any E3 or Playstation experience stage that i've watched. Since Andrew House stepped down, it's mostly Shawn Layden doing rounds in US and Jim Ryan doing rounds in Euro-zone.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You and I will just have to disagree about this. From what I see there aren't a ton of people playing the Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and even less are going to play PS1 and PS2 games that look and control far worse than last gen games do. Just b/c a tiny, niche audience might doesn't mean it's relevant.
How much have The Last of Us, GTA V or so, so many other remasters sold this gen alone? How many have been made? How much has the Super NES mini sold? People are still interested and invested in those games.

Sony has two options: either lose the (lots of) money that they make off of that market or allow Microsoft PR to slash them over making you buy again the same games. Unlike many here, I'm not so sure they'll go with option 1, but so far only Sony knows and any comment saying "they'll certainly have BC" is nothing but wishful thinking at this point. But to say that these games don't interest people anymore... that's like denying climate change.

It's true that Ryan made those comments about BC at a different time and it's just PR talk. But it's also true that if they intended to include BC on PS5 it'd have made more sense to say "we don't think this is how we want to approach this issue, we have PSNow instead, but we are always listening to the fans' feedback". That'd have been PR talk too, but it wouldn't have created unnecessary shit storms if they were planning BC eventually anyways.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope someday people would understand that games form CRT-era is a poor match for current gen LCD/OLED/AMOLED panels. For many-many-many reasons, but mainly because of assets. I've remembered Ace Combat 5 as beatiful game, but even with proper BC and clever upscaling it downright ugly right now (got mine with AC 7). Assets from the old games were never meant to be seen on HDTVs, let alone 4K panels. Even some effects and textures were made with CRT softness in mind.

If you really want to play ANY retro game from your closet, you can always buy RetroPie with HDMI out for like 60 bucks. The truth is, It's hard to find time to play some new games (my current backlog is a nightmare), let alone play old titles from 2 generations ago. And that's why basically Ryan is right. BC is a good PR when you don't have actual 1st party game library, but it's hardly a really requested feature in general.

Wow, what a poor excuse not to have BC on PS systems. It's one thing to just say Sony doesn't want to do it. However, to sugar coat Sony's inability to emulate previous systems like MS has is quite a stretch. MS not only found a way but, they found a way to make those games better. Sorry your either admitting Sony can't do BC by your claims or Sony's inferior software can't run older games. Both answers sound wrong to me but, maybe Sony can't do it?

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"We Have A Product For People Who Can't Access The Internet Want BC, It's Called Xbox 360 PS4."

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tbh, I don't understand why you sound so bitter about having BC (my impression of it). It is another option that can be used by consumers which in my eyes isn't a bad thing. Nobody forces you to use it but it is there for those who want to use it. I am personally have played a lot of BC games on the Xbox One. I am the type of gamer doesn't keep old hardware so I said fare well to my Xbox 360 and PS3 very early into this gen.

Not sure how you are reading that from my statements. I personally use BC a ton myself as I have said.
I just don't think its as big of a deal for most users or for mass market appeal.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Wonder if this means Kodera sees the potential of expanding PS Now even more. They already recently added the ability to download games. Would like to see them focus more now on putting 1st party games on the service to really increase the value of it.
Probably not just PS Now but PSN as a whole.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I edited my text already before you answered and deleted the "bitter" part ;)

Just saw that! Yeah, I will never complain about more options.

I just kind of find it funny that we are at a point when the fairly average BC offered on X1 is seen as some great boon to consumers
when Sony has done it better in the past but earned basically no goodwill at that point and was lambasted on every other facet of the console.

Some of that was obviously valid criticism and they did a bad job presenting their product right from the start, but I just find it a bit ironic that we start seeing all of these 'arrogant Sony' comments now about no BC, when 'arrogant Sony' was actually the one who gave us some of the best BC functionality the industry has ever seen.

So.. you can't imagine that a lot of people might like the same things you do?
Yes, I do feel like my general tastes and stances do tend to be in the minority a lot of times.
Like feeling that the launch PS3 was actually a great deal because of BC and no paid online sub.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Just saw that! Yeah, I will never complain about more options.

I just kind of find it funny that we are at a point when the fairly average BC offered on X1 is seen as some great boon to consumers
when Sony has done it better in the past but earned basically no goodwill at that point and was lambasted on every other facet of the console.

Some of that was obviously valid criticism and they did a bad job presenting their product right from the start, but I just find it a bit ironic that we start seeing all of these 'arrogant Sony' comments now about no BC, when 'arrogant Sony' was actually the one who gave us some of the best BC functionality the industry has ever seen.

Yes, I do feel like my general tastes and stances do tend to be in the minority a lot of times.
Like feeling that the launch PS3 was actually a great deal because of BC and no paid online sub.
BluRay player when players were $200-$300, wifi capabilities built in, HDMI port...an arguement could definitely be made

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm drowsy as fuck doing late night posting because I'm insane with this so bear with me. I'm not in love with Jim Ryan as a gaming icon but I'm intrigued nonetheless. Sony is in the midst of complete restructuring for next-generation and I do think Ryan will have some good ideas. I think his goal would be how to maintain market dominance as he somehow solidified Europe and other parts of the world as a PlayStation-centric gaming landscape. Shawn Layden has a deep passion for everything WWS is doing and always hypes up smaller projects like its some personal venture. Cerny knows how to make good hardware and communicates well with developers. Kodera is creditted for Plus and Now which are both profitable outlets for Sony and made PSN a juggernaut in sales. So, using basic math:

Ryan: Market leadership is his forte
Kodera: Knows how to strengthen PSN
Cerny: Very intelligent with hardware
Layden/Shu: Love everything about WWS and gaming in general.

I dunno I kinda like how this could turn out. Could they fuck up? Of course they can. Will they? I'm doubtful since all these men know the winning formula but there's always the possibility. I just wanna see their next press event dammit.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I mean he was right, in a way. Look at PS Classic sales. Ha

The PS classic is actually a good indicator that people will drop sony without second thought if they don't deliver.

arrogant sony back? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

they never left. They got lucky this gen with Microsoft crapping themselves when the starting pistol fired. A lot of the good will sony got was due to using Microsofts mistakes against them and supporting old ways that consumers felt safe with. Things have changed a ton since then and now sony is way behind the curve looking less consumer friendly than ever. Whether or not Jim Ryan ends up being sonys Don Mattrick time will tell. But with them fighting against cross platform, saying services like origin are of no value, announcing they want to focus more on media and now putting the guy that thinks backwards compatibility is dumb at the top its understandable people are wary.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
This guy was always Sonys Matterick to me.

Still let's see how he goes

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
His previous remarks are baffling but I hope he does a good job. He obviously isn't entirely inept seeing as his department has had success but I would prefer another person.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i am kind of worried.
not because of who Jim is or what he said, but becasue i dont like that kodera was kicked out already in one year, what was he doing so bad that he is already getting demoted?

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much have The Last of Us, GTA V or so, so many other remasters sold this gen alone? How many have been made? How much has the Super NES mini sold? People are still interested and invested in those games.

Sony has two options: either lose the (lots of) money that they make off of that market or allow Microsoft PR to slash them over making you buy again the same games. Unlike many here, I'm not so sure they'll go with option 1, but so far only Sony knows and any comment saying "they'll certainly have BC" is nothing but wishful thinking at this point. But to say that these games don't interest people anymore... that's like denying climate change.

It's true that Ryan made those comments about BC at a different time and it's just PR talk. But it's also true that if they intended to include BC on PS5 it'd have made more sense to say "we don't think this is how we want to approach this issue, we have PSNow instead, but we are always listening to the fans' feedback". That'd have been PR talk too, but it wouldn't have created unnecessary shit storms if they were planning BC eventually anyways.
Dude you're not even talking about the same thing that either myself or Jim Ryan was. What does TLOU and GTA5 have to do with PS1 and PS2 games? Those games and remasters are only a few years old, still look great, and still play great. Also NES games don't look or play anywhere as bad as PS1 and PS2 games. Completely different visual styles and control methods.

Sony is not going to give up the backwards compatible market to Microsoft but that doesn't mean they will offer PS1 and PS2 games. PS4 games and maybe PS3 games are most likely which makes sense. Yes there are "people" that want to play old PS1/PS2 games but it is a tiny group. Also you're fooling yourself if you think there aren't people crying about BC that then don't use it when they get it. Sony saw that on the PS3. I don't exactly see a ton of people on my Xbox friends list playing 360 games nor do I see them on the most played Xbox game charts unless it's something huge like RDR or Black Ops when they first get added. You can deny it but the fact is that only a tiny fraction of people want/care to play these older titles.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
i am kind of worried.
not because of who Jim is or what he said, but becasue i dont like that kodera was kicked out already in one year, what was he doing so bad that he is already getting demoted?
He wasn't, read the press release. He choose to step down as he'd rather focus 100% on PSN and lead Sony's digital transformation strategy.