• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Interesting move. I'm thinking the Sony execs loved his children answer about crossplay. I mean, who else was there to step into the position besides Jim?

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
CT3F8Ea.png

Hmm

I don't get it. Why would a top executive from any of the Big 3 say something like this? It's just dumb and makes you look bad. You don't just take a fairly big request from consumers and say "why would you want this?" You either say yes or don't say anything at all IMO. Or at least say no in a "nicer" PR way or something.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Going by his comments he's definitely a guy who is customer focused and wants to push gaming forward into new territories that will benefit us all.......

/s

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting...I think the portable must have gotten greenlit and since that's Kodera's bag I suspect he wants' to focus on that. I also think Kodera may not have wanted to be out front at various events and giving interviews. Along with Kodera possibly not wanting to be out front it makes sense if PS5 is to be released this year, which is what I suspect, Sony would want to make a change at the top ASAP.

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD.

I've nothing against Kodera, but there are too much things that are not going right at SIE for a while now and I hope for some change in the right direction. Show them Jim !

The fact that Kodera was kicked out so quickly shows something was wrong.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting...I think the portable must have gotten greenlit and since that's Kodera's bag I suspect he wants' to focus on that. I also think Kodera may not have wanted to be out front at various events and giving interviews. Along with Kodera possibly not wanting to be out front it makes sense if PS5 is to be released this year, which is what I suspect, Sony would want to make a change at the top ASAP.

Portable? As in a successor to the Vita or something like those tablet designs we keep seeing in patents? Any links to info on Kodera's desire for a portable?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cannot see PS5 being revealed let alone released this year, but that's just me.

Oct 28, 2017
They were always going to do worse, unless MS hobbles itself again, only question is how much worse.

Ya, I'm not really feeling too confident for them at the moment. Most of the old crew who made PS4 so good like tretton, house, boyes, kaz, are all gone now.

Hopefully Ryan doesn't fuck up too bad. He deserves a chance at least.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The PS classic is actually a good indicator that people will drop sony without second thought if they don't deliver.

they never left. They got lucky this gen with Microsoft crapping themselves when the starting pistol fired. A lot of the good will sony got was due to using Microsofts mistakes against them and supporting old ways that consumers felt safe with. Things have changed a ton since then and now sony is way behind the curve looking less consumer friendly than ever. Whether or not Jim Ryan ends up being sonys Don Mattrick time will tell. But with them fighting against cross platform, saying services like origin are of no value, announcing they want to focus more on media and now putting the guy that thinks backwards compatibility is dumb at the top its understandable people are wary.
This has to be a joke post.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
After reading some posts here it seems like it doesn't matter if a person was doing a good job, but if he was a good PR speaker.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is the worst. I understand the appointment though, he was high in the hierarchy. I am not too worried about his policies because this is the age of social media. A little anger here and there and they will give us BC.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guy doesn't fill me with confidence but let's see. Everybody was skeptical of Andy House when he took over from Kaz but he turned out to be probably the most effective leader PlayStation has had.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
It wasn't just Ryan who had a hand in Sony doing well in Europe.

It was the entire team, and a lot of that team have gone now

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This feels like when Mattrick got the Xbox gig....I just don't think Ryan gets gamers....

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Man...ERA is really living in its own headcanon bubble, isn't it.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at these comments.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I don't really have a dog in this fight as I personally don't play a lot of BC/old games but I am amused at the fact that for every 50 posts of people asking for BC or expressing their love of BC there's always 1 or 2 people chiming in to tell them their desire to play BC puts them in the minority lol. I mean come on. There's a reason why classic consoles (that aren't heaping piles of shit) sell well, as well as why it's a successful selling point for MS and Nintendo services.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Consistent history of system warring across multiple threads
Great choice, that's the man who is in charge for PS Europe Domination, destroying the competitors, so he knows what he is doing.
ps: he needs to cancel a bunch of games and say it's better for gamers if he wants to earn some era's respect, lol.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking why people in this thread are jumping to defend how incredible he is. I'd be excited for someone who has done things I admire to take the job, as opposed to someone who has made public statements dismissing features I care about.

Maybe if people tried to learn what Jim Ryan has done in Europe then they might resist the urge to shit post.

It's amazing the amount of people I've seen crying because their favourites are getting shit posted shit posting in here.

How about your all do better and try setting a better tone? This thread is pretty disgusting.

Well done Era. Even saw an admin at it, so I guess we all reap what we sow

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Well, at least it means hopefully their shows will be in actually decent hours from now on.

PLEASE

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

He literally had a hand in it, he's been a part of SIE Europe for pretty much it's history.
I get it, he sad something that people didn't want to hear, but he has played a big role in PlayStation, you don't last that long and get all the way up to the top otherwise.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

What is it with Sony executives that get people all riled up? EVERYTIME a person at Sony changes position or leaves people act like it's the end of the world. Guess what? It wasn't just one team that helped in Europe, it was constantly changing and evolving into different teams. A few people stayed for the long haul but for the most part people come and go and it has been happening since they formed SCEE.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The PS classic is actually a good indicator that people will drop sony without second thought if they don't deliver.

they never left. They got lucky this gen with Microsoft crapping themselves when the starting pistol fired. A lot of the good will sony got was due to using Microsofts mistakes against them and supporting old ways that consumers felt safe with. Things have changed a ton since then and now sony is way behind the curve looking less consumer friendly than ever. Whether or not Jim Ryan ends up being sonys Don Mattrick time will tell. But with them fighting against cross platform, saying services like origin are of no value, announcing they want to focus more on media and now putting the guy that thinks backwards compatibility is dumb at the top its understandable people are wary.
I can't tell anymore what is real and what is sarcasm in the gaming forum.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

How does this theory continue to pop up? Sony's come out on top 3 our of the 4 generations they've been involved in. Not only that, in the generation that they "failed" they still sold 85m+ consoles. Compare that to what happens when other manufacturers release a console that fails. You could combine Nintendo's three failure consoles, the N64, GC and Wii U, and they wouldn't even equal up to how much Sony's lone failure sold. But somehow Sony just lucks out?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
How does this theory continue to pop up? Sony's come out on top 3 our of the 4 generations they've been involved in. Not only that, in the generation that they "failed" they still sold 85m+ consoles. Compare that to what happens when other manufacturers release a console that fails. You could combine Nintendo's three failure consoles, the N64, GC and Wii U, and they wouldn't even equal up to how much Sony's lone failure sold. But somehow Sony just lucks out?
I am so sick of that nonsense too its always just luck. Same stories every single gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nintendo's failure played a part in PSX's success & Sony getting the 3rd party support, Sony's first party in that era was a bit weak, Rare alone was stronger than Sony's entire first party imo.

Last edited: