• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
How does this theory continue to pop up? Sony's come out on top 3 our of the 4 generations they've been involved in. Not only that, in the generation that they "failed" they still sold 85m+ consoles. Compare that to what happens when other manufacturers release a console that fails. You could combine Nintendo's three failure consoles, the N64, GC and Wii U, and they wouldn't even equal up to how much Sony's lone failure sold. But somehow Sony just lucks out?

That failure of a console lost Sony billions, and almost sank the company

Nintendo with thier poorly selling consoles were making more money then Sony due to thier handhelds.

Feb 26, 2018
This thread once again confirms that some people here care more about some suits and their PR than actual content

About Ryan. I don't know how you can say that's a good or a bad thing. We know nothing about his future strategy. But I don't believe it's matters anyway. Sony got plans for next gen already and probably no one can drastically change them.
Time will tell

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Nintendo's failure played a part in PSX's success & Sony getting the 3rd party support, Sony's first party in that era was a bit weak, Rare alone was stronger than Sony's entire first party imo.

welp...it seems that sony can never take credit for their own playstation success...be it nintendo's failure or Microsoft's fuck-ups....all playstation did was make use of other people's screw-ups...playstation did nothing and don't deserve this level of success!

/S

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo's failure played a part in PSX's success & Sony getting the 3rd party support, Sony's first party in that era was a bit weak, Rare alone was stronger than Sony's entire first party imo.
That was also Sony's success as much as it was Nintendo's failure. Sony also absolutely murdered SEGA.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
What is it with Sony executives that get people all riled up? EVERYTIME a person at Sony changes position or leaves people act like it's the end of the world. Guess what? It wasn't just one team that helped in Europe, it was constantly changing and evolving into different teams. A few people stayed for the long haul but for the most part people come and go and it has been happening since they formed SCEE.

I actually think Ryan will do a great job but the statements he's made are good reason to be cautious

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't his BC comments about the fact that PS1 and PS2 games look like trash today(especially on todays tvs) and people actually don't want to play them.

It was more like 'who wants to play THAT when they have THIS lol!' piece of British humour from where I was sitting. Christ knows how it becomes a massive deal and the end of PlayStation

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
SIEE's regional coverage isn't just Europe, but it extends to Middle East and India.

Sony's play in Europe this gen might be just 'more of the same' as they've been in previous years, but this gen in particular has been huge for Middle East market growth for PlayStation.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo failure made Sony sold 40 million consoles there first time out in EU \S
Also crash most likely out sold all of Rare games during the PS1 era alone .
That not counting all the other stuff Sony brought like a little game call GT .

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone heard anything about Cerny lately ? What is he doing ? I really missed him

Platinuming Astro Bot

bf474wwlhxc21.png

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
SIEE's regional coverage isn't just Europe, but it extends to Middle East and India.

Sony's play in Europe this gen might be just 'more of the same' as they've been in previous years, but this gen in particular has been huge for Middle East market growth for PlayStation.

I don't think people pay attention to other parts of the market to see how Sony grows it .
What they doing in the Middle East and other parts of the world are what they did when the first started out in EU .
Which why it seem people don't understand why the have a foot hold in such markets .
Jim has been there since the start and i think he know what he doing .

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding technical consulting.
Probably making knack 3 and PS5. Probably.
probably just hard at work on the playstation 5 and helping in the development of the final PS4 games/new PS5 games right now.
He is in the private bunker designing PS5
Platinuming Astro Bot

bf474wwlhxc21.png

I have full confidence that he'll make sure the PS5 supports BC and will present us one hell of a product that we'll enjoy.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like people in this thread don't know Mattrick too oversaw the most successful period the 360 experienced.

Until he too started saying dumb shit like "We have a console for you..."

And Phil Spencer was there all through it, fully supporting it, being part of it and making deals with the NFL - but he's doing okay now, wouldn't you say?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Nancy Tellem was in charge of the TV stuff, including the NFL deal. Phil was in charge of Studios.

Yes...everything bad about Xbox has nothing to do with Phil Spencer and everything good about Xbox is lead by Phil Spender.....Phil Spencer can do no wrong..

If something's bad happened during Phil's tenure, it's somebody else fault most definitely.

/S

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yes...everything bad about Xbox has nothing to do with Phil Spencer and everything good about Xbox is lead by Phil Spender.....Phil Spencer can do no wrong..

If something's bad happened during Phil's tenure, it's somebody else fault most definitely.

/S
Yes, that's precisely what I said. Good job.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This forum is really the best place for nuanced discussion about games. Jim will do fine, he aced it with playstation europe.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
After reading some posts here it seems like it doesn't matter if a person was doing a good job, but if he was a good PR speaker.

PR is important though? Especially to Sony because gamers are very sensitive and will easily jump on any thing they don't like.

If he is leading SIE and has being quoted saying certain things it will definitely go against him regardless of what he has achieved in his actions.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, after the completely insane profits driven by PSN, it'd be real strange if Sony did not have something of a plan to keep this trend growing. Placing Kodera ahead of PSN is a sign that their efforts to keep making PSN a compelling service is just beginning.

As for Jim Ryan, again, like most people noted, is probably to be praised for the platform's success in Europe and most likely has great plans for the platform worldwide as well.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

A part would be correct. But Sony absolutely expanded the gaming market quite a bit during that generation. It's why the PSone on its own sold nearly as much as the NES and SNES combined. Sony had an outsiders perspective on it at the time since the heads back then weren't coming from gaming. They also had different marketing expertise, which I think you really saw by just how different PS ads were compared to their competition. Especially when you look at their European ads at the time (the Double Life ad was part of the PSone generation).

That failure of a console lost Sony billions, and almost sank the company

Nintendo with thier poorly selling consoles were making more money then Sony due to thier handhelds.

I don't think you're going to get anyone to argue that the PS3 was good for Sony from a financial standpoint. That's why i'm strictly talking about sales since the poster I was replying to suggested that Sony just lucked out this generation. The PS3 is perceived as a failure for Sony, not because of the financial situation that it put Sony in, but rather because it sold less than the PSone and PS2. But despite that the PS3 still sold 85m+ units. Consumers still wanted to own the console. Now look at what happens when other companies release consoles viewed as failures. The consumer reaction is entirely different. So how is Sony's performance just luck?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe if people tried to learn what Jim Ryan has done in Europe then they might resist the urge to shit post.

It's amazing the amount of people I've seen crying because their favourites are getting shit posted shit posting in here.

How about your all do better and try setting a better tone? This thread is pretty disgusting.

Well done Era. Even saw an admin at it, so I guess we all reap what we sow
I tried to learn by asking a question, and all I received are vague answers. "He's the reason PlayStation dominates Europe." Why? "He's head of marketing." I don't live in Europe and I buy PlayStation consoles because their games are well received. How has he made my PlayStation experience better? How am I supposed to adore this guy when the only specific instances of his words/actions that have been presented to me piss me off? He was "toeing the company line?" "Saying what he was told to say?" Well he's the boss now, so let's see him say something that will be good for my experience as a consumer.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's led SIE's most dominant division and been part of it for literally decades.

As in Europe? What has he done to help? Not saying nothing, just curiousof his accolades.

All ive seen are dumb comments. And Sony has been annoying me lately, who have been behind those decisions?