• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
As in Europe? What has he done to help? Not saying nothing, just curiousof his accolades.

All ive seen are dumb comments. And Sony has been annoying me lately, who have been behind those decisions?
He's been there since 94, so a lot most likely. I assume mostly on the marketing side though, considering he became the head of global marketing eventually.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
A part would be correct. But Sony absolutely expanded the gaming market quite a bit during that generation. It's why the PSone on its own sold nearly as much as the NES and SNES combined. Sony had an outsiders perspective on it at the time since the heads back then weren't coming from gaming. They also had different marketing expertise, which I think you really saw by just how different PS ads were compared to their competition. Especially when you look at their European ads at the time (the Double Life ad was part of the PSone generation).

I don't think you're going to get anyone to argue that the PS3 was good for Sony from a financial standpoint. That's why i'm strictly talking about sales since the poster I was replying to suggested that Sony just lucked out this generation. The PS3 is perceived as a failure for Sony, not because of the financial situation that it put Sony in, but rather because it sold less than the PSone and PS2. But despite that the PS3 still sold 85m+ units. Consumers still wanted to own the console. Now look at what happens when other companies release consoles viewed as failures. The consumer reaction is entirely different. So how is Sony's performance just luck?

I think this generation the PS4 especially they were gifted with both MS and Nintendo being incredibly stupid in everything they did.

PS1 and PS2, no luck involved, Sony nailed it.

PS3, even if it sold 80m plus, was a huge failure.

Sonys performance so far in hindsight have only got very lucky this generation.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Oh, come on! Just go have a read of 2013 Xbox news and interviews and you might get a surprise at what he was involved in.

My post wasn't a slight at Spencer, quite the opposite, but hey
I've read all about the Xbox One launch, which is why I knew Phil had nothing to do with the NFL deal. It's okay to criticize his role in some of those mistakes - for instance the DRM plan, smartglass, Kinect - but ya'll are putting way too much on the guy when his role was related to game portfolio above all else.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to learn by asking a question, and all I received are vague answers. "He's the reason PlayStation dominates Europe." Why? "He's head of marketing in Europe." I don't live in Europe and I buy PlayStation consoles because their games are well received. How has he made my PlayStation experience better? How am I supposed to adore this guy when the only specific instances of his words/actions that have been presented to me piss me off? He was "toeing the company line?" "Saying what he was told to say?" Well he's the boss now, so let's see him say something that will be good for my experience as a consumer.
I'm sorry, where were people saying 'you must adore this guy'? I'm mean, that's a weird response if somebody actually said that.

I think your last sentence is key, let's see how he does. I honestly think he interviews well, he's very relaxed and funny.

Sorry for the short response, I'm typing on my phone and it's a nightmare!

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The Jim Ryan salt is giving me life.
Guy has been at PS for 17 years and obviously has been an assist to PS Europe especially.

I'm not here to pimp the guys CV but PS is still in good hands overall.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't benefit me at all that PS dominates in Europe. What will benefit me is my PS4/3/2/1 library transferring over to PS5 with increased resolutions and frame rates and being able to have cross play/progression between the PS5 Xbox and Switch.

If this happens I'll quickly forget all the stupid shit he has said in the past.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't benefit me at all that PS dominates in Europe. What will benefit me is my PS4/3/2/1 library transferring over to PS5 with increased resolutions and frame rates and being able to have cross play/progression between the PS5 Xbox and Switch.

If this happens I'll quickly forget all the stupid shit he has said in the past.
It benefits PlayStation though, hence his promotion.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
A better question would be why would you adore an exec in the first place?
I'm sorry, where were people saying 'you must adore this guy'? I'm mean, that's a weird response if somebody actually said that.

I think your last sentence is key, let's see how he does. I honestly think he interviews well, he's very relaxed and funny.

Sorry for the short response, I'm typing on my phone and it's a nightmare!
Yeah, adore is the wrong word, but there are people in the thread who have acted like he will unquestionably be excellent at this job for poorly messaged reasons and that I'm wrong to be skeptical because of the statements he's made in the past. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going forward but he won't be earning praise from me (granted, he doesn't need it) without words or actions that personally benefit my PlayStation experiences.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, adore is the wrong word, but there are people in the thread who have acted like he will unquestionably be excellent at this job for poorly messaged reasons and that I'm wrong to be skeptical because of the statements he's made in the past. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going forward but he won't be earning praise from me (granted, he doesn't need it) without words or actions that personally benefit my PlayStation experiences.
I think that's fair enough, but his track record is very good, I have no reason to think he'll suddenly fuck it all up and PlayStation is doomed, even if he's pretty bad at PR, despite being a marketing guy. The "for the children" stuff will definitely stick with him I think.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer seems like a good dude, but adore/worship him because of that? Nah that's just weird honestly.

Adore is too strong of a word. "Like" would be more accurate, something that I still can't say about Ryan.

Not that I think Ryan will hurt the brand so much but I think they could've picked a better person

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I actually like Kodera quite a bit, dude is a very forward thinking individual and knows that services and recurring revenue streams are going to be the future.

Not sure how I feel about Ryan though. It's more of a wait and see, he has proven himself with being a driving force behind Playstation having Europe on lockdown but he seems to be the opposite of Kodera in terms of mind set.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If he's the reason why my country isn't considered tier 2 or 3 and why we keep getting most PS4 games day one (unlike Xbox/Switch games), then more power to him.

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is:

In a perfect Jim Ryan future, does he want to go to Tahiti too, with or whitout a PS5 BC memories?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wow.

Kudos to Kodera for realising he wants to be doing something different. He is a products/services guy, and I guess he missed being more hands-on. And he saw a need for a closer hand on the evolution of the network business. It's not many people who would rise to the top and then be humble enough to do what he's doing, so good for him.

Congrats to Ryan. Whatever some may feel about what he said in an interview one time, he obviously is proven business development and management material. In terms of PR, my only advice to him would be not to talk to journalists with the same candor that you talk to colleagues or even, say, privately with investors. But he's an experienced pair of hands in terms of the business.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Adore is too strong of a word. "Like" would be more accurate, something that I still can't say about Ryan.

Not that I think Ryan will hurt the brand so much but I think they could've picked a better person
Yeah, I can get liking one, I like Shu and Phil.

I like Ryan in some interviews, his Metro interviews were pretty good, he comes across like a very down to earth guy for the most part in them, but the "for the children" shit was just embarrassing.

Edit: here's the interview I was talking about, it's old though.
https://metro.co.uk/2015/06/25/ps4-...rview-theres-always-a-lunatic-fringe-5266049/

Last edited:

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spencer got a lot of flack this gen yet look how much Xbox improved under his reign and yet people (rightly or wrongly) call him out. Now it's interesting to see people clamber over in Ryan's defence with vague accolades and achievements. I'm NOT saying Ryan isn't praise worthy but it's just an interesting shift in discussions which will lead to a lot of banter and rivalry/arguments next gen.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I'm a bit worried because of some comments he's made in the past, but there's a reason for him to get that position. Let's hope for the best.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I would rather have a Japanese dude be in charge of SIE to be honest. They generally have a better sensibility about what projects to greenlight whereas this guy seems like he's just going to want the studios to follow trends in gaming.

Oct 28, 2017
I would rather have a Japanese dude be in charge of SIE to be honest.
Tozd7dr.gif

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan is the best and most experienced businessman they have. He has been a big part in making Playstation a dominant force in Europe for decades. That's why he has become CEO.
It's incredibly stupid to think that a couple of PR moments where he simply defended the company line define his abilities. They should just give him the memo: "Tell people what they want to hear and leave all doors open even if we're not doing it".

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I would rather have a Japanese dude be in charge of SIE to be honest. They generally have a better sensibility about what projects to greenlight whereas this guy seems like he's just going to want the studios to follow trends in gaming.

Andrew House was very good at SIE. And Ryan is basically one of his protégés - if House hadn't appointed Kodera directly, it would have been Ryan.

Layden is in charge of WWS and he, per his latest interview, is uninterested in me-too projects.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who doubts Jim Ryan, read his E3 interviews with Metro.

The guy is very likable, down to earth and knows the business inside and out.

PlayStation is in very good hands.

Maybe he will reverse the E3 decision or at least announce an event.

Europe might actually have a PlayStation. Event that isn't PGW.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes but people are surprised that some are apprehensive because Sony does so well in Europe. The point is that, this doesn't benefit gamers, only shareholders.

i hate to be bearer of bad news but every executives at every companies are executing plans to benefit their platforms to benefit their shareholders. Yes, even Phil 'The Savior' Spencer.

I have to hand it to Spencer and his PR skills, the guy sure knows how to create an aura of 'messianic halo' around his believers...some of the spender believers reminds me of those steve jobs worshippers in its heydays.

Feb 26, 2018
I think this generation the PS4 especially they were gifted with both MS and Nintendo being incredibly stupid in everything they did.

PS1 and PS2, no luck involved, Sony nailed it.

PS3, even if it sold 80m plus, was a huge failure.

Sonys performance so far in hindsight have only got very lucky this generation.

MS reversed DRM policies from the start. Dropped the Kinect almost instantly. If you really believe that 6 years of continued PS4 success is because of luck you are delusional.
Is Switch lucky too? It's probably gonna outsell Xbox in a year. What incredibly stupid think did MS do this time?

If he's the reason why my country isn't considered tier 2 or 3 and why we keep getting most PS4 games day one (unlike Xbox/Switch games), then more power to him.
Where do you live if not a secret?

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
The driveby shitposting in this thread is unreal. People even calling him an asshole like they actually know the guy.
You don't get to work that high up for that long, and do an incredible good job in Europe, if you don't know what you're doing.

The man knows his job, and you "having a bad feeling about this" means jack shit.