• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
1518005696_783943_1518005795_noticia_normal.jpg

Miao

Oct 30, 2017
His comments on crossplay and bc made me consider that he is the equivalent of Aaron Greenberg at Sony. Reading here that he has done good for us in Europe, he seems far more than just a bigmouth spreading PR lies and bullshit.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some truly idiotic takes in this thread, wow, just astounding, it's really early here but in don't think this thread will be topped for quite some time.

So many dumb posts.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
FT article about new SIE CEO:

"In an interview with Financial Times last month, Mr Ryan identified the rising level of active monthly users as an increasingly important metric for producers of hardware and software, as the gaming business model changes and companies such as Sony become more adept at monetising individual titles beyond the original purchase of the game. "It makes a big difference if [players] connect and engage," said Mr Ryan.
https://www.ft.com/content/2e760280-2e79-11e9-8744-e7016697f225

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So what did he do exactly to make this happen? Please enlighten us.

Euro-centric localization, day one distribution among other things...things that Nintendo and Microsoft are not doing?

If you truly believes that Europe loves Sony by default so much to the point that Sony can just place a dummy as its Europe head, then you probably need to stop playing games and start going to school.

What happened to all the working adults and college graduates in ERA? Why are so many kids in ERA today?

"This dude said something i don't like. This dude didn't give me the thing I want. This dude's an idiot and stupid."

What the hell with this type of '10 year old' thinking....

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I would rather have a Japanese dude be in charge of SIE to be honest. They generally have a better sensibility about what projects to greenlight whereas this guy seems like he's just going to want the studios to follow trends in gaming.

The way it works in SIE is that the WWS division in general has relatively strong autonomy to decide and greenlight the projects they wanna make, and once a project is closer to fruition/announcement, that's where they then work with the sales and marketing division within SIE to figure out what's the best roadmap to announce and release the game eventually.

It's literally why there are games like Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, etc - where our primary complaints are "why aren't Sony marketing the games they made?" It's because while WWS made those games, the SIE sales and marketing division ain't necessarily ain't hot or excited about those games. If it were solely up to them, they would never have greenlit those games in the first place.

The one driving the portfolio of SIE first-party games today is Shawn Layden, and frankly his 'fewer, but bigger' approach will be well liked by many within the SIE marketing division, whom this gen has leaned towards significantly favoring marketing the tentpole AAA exclusives, and not giving the smaller games its deserving measure of support. ( remember when we had to demand a Gravity Rush 1 physical release in US? )

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Ehh.... A Hmm is about all I can muster too. Definitely isn't exciting news. Definitely isn't "DOOMED" news either.

Just a nice flat, non carbonated "Hmm."

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I would rather have a Japanese dude be in charge of SIE to be honest. They generally have a better sensibility about what projects to greenlight whereas this guy seems like he's just going to want the studios to follow trends in gaming.
Shuhei Yoshida is still in charge of that, he's the president of WWS.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Euro-centric localization, day one distribution among other things...things that Nintendo and Microsoft are not doing?

If you truly believes that Europe loves Sony by default so much to the point that Sony can just place a dummy as its Europe head, then you probably need to stop playing games and start going to school.

What happened to all the working adults and college graduates in ERA? What are so many kids in ERA today?

"This dude said something i don't like. This dude didn't give me the thing I want. This dude's an idiot and stupid."

Lol I am in the games industry since the 80s, I have a master degree in CS and and I am from EU, stop worshipping these people because some product did well. Often most of the work is done by lesser mortals.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
The way it works in SIE is that the WWS division in general has relatively strong autonomy to decide and greenlight the projects they wanna make, and once a project is closer to fruition/announcement, that's where they then work with the sales and marketing division within SIE to figure out what's the best roadmap to announce and release the game eventually.

It's literally why there are games like Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, etc - where our primary complaints are "why aren't Sony marketing the games they made?" It's because while WWS made those games, the SIE sales and marketing division ain't necessarily ain't hot or excited about those games. If it were solely up to them, they would never have greenlit those games in the first place.

I mean the sales & marketing team isn't wrong by not promoting gravity rush and until dawn. Both are very niche titles and the fact of the matter is gravity rush is a very mediocre game (don't get me wrong I like it and I think Kats a cool character) but saving money on promoting them was probably a wise move.

Actually, from what your explaining I think Sony's WWS needs a full reworking because right now you have a situation where games like dreams (a game that has been a waste of Sony resources and in my opinion is going to be a financial flop) and days gone (Isn't this too similar to Last of Us?) get approved but Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool a legendary dev gets fucking shut down when they working on an AAA espionage game + a new Wipeout that would have really showcased the hardware.

The WWE studio actually needs a steering committee to better select games that will appeal to the playstation audience and beyond (but not just follow fads and trends like EA, MS and Ubi do)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Lol I am in the games industry since the 80s, I have a master degree in CS and and I am from EU, stop worshipping these people because some product did well. Often most of the work is done by lesser mortals.

yes...obviously, but you need the someone at the top for planning from a macro-level perspective. Believe me, i am in the trenches as well and some of you guys are out of your head with the 'management is stupid, i am doing everything for them' type of mentality.

For example, let's say in the Eurozone, how do you go about the business tax? How do you go about the legal side of things? How do you proposed which games are appropriate for the region? Yes, each of the areas have a head (finance, legal, distribution, development, sales, marketing, etc). But who's gonna steer the overall strategy as a cohesive plan instead of some sort of 8 headed hydra where the marketing wants one thing and the finance wants another?

I am not 'idolizing' the C-level executive but the lack of objectivity in terms of workload from the people at the trenches is the reason why they will always work in the trenches. High level strategic planning is not equivalent to 'I'm real good at working with distributor for this region' or 'i'm really good at programming.'

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the sales & marketing team isn't wrong by not promoting gravity rush and until dawn. Both are very niche titles and the fact of the matter is gravity rush is a very mediocre game (don't get me wrong I like it and I think Kats a cool character) but saving money on promoting them was probably a wise move.

Actually, from what your explaining I think Sony's WWS needs a full reworking because right now you have a situation where games like dreams (a game that has been a waste of Sony resources and in my opinion is going to be a financial flop) and days gone (Isn't this too similar to Last of Us?) get approved but Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool a legendary dev gets fucking shut down when they working on an AAA espionage game + a new Wipeout that would have really showcased the hardware.

The WWE studio actually needs a steering committee to better select games that will appeal to the playstation audience and beyond (but not just follow fads and trends like EA, MS and Ubi do)

Days Gone is nothing like TLOU .
Having zombies and being 3rd person does not = similar .
Also wipeout stop selling good years ago .
Showing off the hardware means nothing if the game don't sell and other devs can show off the hardware .
Seeing how Sony games are selling this gen i think they have a good idea what the PS audience wants .

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Closing Psygnosis was a mistakes and I think Sony still regrets that but I don't agree with you about Dreams, it will be a masterpiece and with a good marketing it could sell well IMHO

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Jim Ryan at E3 2020 showing off the PS5's enhanced backward-compatibility saying that the game on the screen (Bloodborne for example) is running at native 4K/2160p, 12-bit color, Dolby Vision, at 60fps, and then turns to the audience "WHY WOULD ANYONE PLAY THIS?" with a yelling at cloud look on his face, which is then followed by an audible gasp from the audience for 10 seconds, before then saying excitingly "BECAUSE IT IS FRACKING AWESOME!" and the audience cheers and claps.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I can see Jim Ryan at E3 2020 showing off the PS5's enhanced backward-compatibility saying that the game on the screen (Horizon: Zero Dawn Bloodborne for example) is running at native 4K/2160p, 12-bit color, Dolby Vision, at 60fps, and then turns to the audience "WHY WOULD ANYONE PLAY THIS?" with a yelling at cloud look on his face, which is then followed by an audible gasp from the audience for 10 seconds, before then saying excitingly "BECAUSE IT IS FRACKING AWESOME!" and the audience cheers and claps.

There, fixed.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Jim Ryan said:
That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?
People really overreacting to what he said. anyway, hope he will do a fine job.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Mhm while he is a real expert and has done a lot over the years, my reaction is not as positive as it propavly should be. Some of his comments just rubbed me the wrong way.

I wish him the best of luck though.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Great choice, that's the man who is in charge for PS Europe Domination, destroying the competitors, so he knows what he is doing.
ps: he needs to cancel a bunch of games and say it's better for gamers if he wants to earn some era's respect, lol.
During his career overseeing Sony EU's work, like it or not, this guy has been involved in the cancellation of countless games (like any executive who stays in this industry for more than a week, deciding what games continue development and which ones get canned is a key part of these people's jobs, no matter the company). Since he was in Europe, he probably had a lot to do with the cancellation of The Getaway 3, just to mention one off the top of my head.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm not so sure about this.. wasn't he the guy that wasn't hot on backwards compatibility?

But their greater focus on network sounds good.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Damn,my ignore list just filled up after reading this thread,lol.
The guy has been at Playstation a long time and their performance in Europe has been fantastic in that time,no surprise he gets a position like this really.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
When a company is working in a creative industry, and they don't have people who is able to appreciate its legacy or how the innovations and achievements of the past contributed to the medium, this is a recipe for disaster.

Too much movements in Sony since 2017 are giving me really bad vibes, of they becoming the Microsoft of 2013.

From all the talented people managing the relationships with indie developers in the Vita and early PS4 years not working anymore in the company.

To Fumito Ueda abandoning Sony, or don't having the decency of using him as a consultant for the remake.

The legacy of Playstation are not only the recent triple A blockbusters selling million of copies.

It was a company about letting thousands of small and mid-sized developers explore their creativity.

And nowadays, a lot of important indie releases are skipping PS4, in favor of Switch and Xbox One.

Because the talented people curating this content, is no longer in the company.

They seem to be focusing only in the big blockbusters, like Microsoft at the start of this generation.

And this change of CEO is only a consequence of this new vision.

But to win the start of a new generation, they will also need diversity, creative takes, niche productions, talented people like Fumito Ueda, a dialogue with its past legacy through backwards compatibility and a vast portfolio of indie developers and mid-size studios to build a rich and varied library to complement the blockbusters.

And I'm really asking if Jim Ryan is the type of guy with a vision to realize this.

Or he only is one of these executives, looking at the spreadsheets, to the benefice, to the numbers.

Feb 26, 2018
When a company is working in a creative industry, and they don't have people who is able to appreciate its legacy or how the innovations and achievements of the past contributed to the medium, this is a recipe for disaster.

Too much movements in Sony since 2017 are giving me really bad vibes, of they becoming the Microsoft of 2013.

From all the talented people managing the relationships with indie developers in the Vita and early PS4 years not working anymore in the company.

To Fumito Ueda abandoning Sony, or don't having the decency of using him as a consultant for the remake.

The legacy of Playstation are not only the recent triple A blockbusters selling million of copies.

It was a company about letting thousands of small and mid-sized developers explore their creativity.

And nowadays, a lot of important indie releases are skipping PS4, in favor of Switch and Xbox One.

They seem to be focusing only in the big blockbusters, like Microsoft at the start of this generation.

But to win the start of a new generation, they will also need diversity, creative takes, niche productions, talented people like Fumito Ueda, a dialogue with its past legacy through backwards compatibility and a vast portfolio of indie developers and mid-size studios to build a rich and varied library to complement the blockbusters.

And I'm really asking if Jim Ryan is the type of guy with a vision to realize this.

Or he only is one of these executives, looking at the spreadsheets, to the benefice, to the numbers.

Lmao

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me. If the domination of PlayStation in Europe is any indication he knows what he's doing. Also, he speaks his mind. While I don't agree with the backward compatibility thing, at least he shared his thoughts on the subject. That's so much better than most people in the business who speak marketing only.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The takes keep on coming.

How about we let the man do his job before we "kill him" (per say)? He's been at Sony for quite a long time. If he were truly awful at his job, I doubt he'd get the pick for this kind of position.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's ok if you don't like him every time he open his mouth, but you can't deny his work with SCEE has been really good.
Its just like Elon Musk, bad at PR but good on his work.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's ok if you don't like him every time he open his mouth, but you can't deny his work with SCEE has been really good.
Its just like Elon Musk, bad at PR but good on his work.
looking at some posts here, looks like its pretty easy for some to deny that. which is weird considering how much PS has grew in regions that SIEE takes care of.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't benefit me at all that PS dominates in Europe.

You're right, but the reasons he became dominant was good for gamers here. If you rewind to pre-PS1 days, the other big international console companies were not taking Europe seriously. Sony had a big hand in changing that, and Ryan was a part of that effort.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales

[
giphy.gif

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What happened to all the working adults and college graduates in ERA? Why are so many kids in ERA today?

And 60Hz pal games... Oh wait, that was Nintendo with the Game Cube not Sony with PS2, my bad.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The guy is a Sony PlayStation OG. He has been with the company since 1994 (the year the PS1 released), much like Kaz Hirai, and has simultaneously seen it through some of the brands biggest accomplishments and growth, and to Europe being by far its strongest territory.

He's obviously a solid and fitting choice for the role, since he will understand the DNA of the brand and its workings, more than most within the company. Again, this is a sign that the people making the decisions are back to appreciating the legacy of the brand. Like with Hirai's appointment, they've not hired some random outsider or person new to the brand, they've picked one of the most successful execs within the company who have been there from the early days.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The guy is a Sony PlayStation OG. He has been with the company since 1994 (the year the PS1 released), much like Kaz Hirai, and has simultaneously seen it through some of the brands biggest accomplishments and growth, and to Europe being by far its strongest territory.

He's obviously a solid and fitting choice for the role, since he will understand the DNA of the brand more than most within the company. Again, this is a sign that the people making the decisions are back to appreciating the legacy of the brand. Like with Hirai's appointment, they've not hired some random outsider or person new to the brand, they've picked one of the most successful execs who have been there from the early days.
Hush now. Clearly he is a poor choice. Doesn't matter what he did. He said a dumb thing about crossplay, the one and only solid metric by which a gaming company can achieve success, once.

#BringBackKaz

/s just in case

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The amount of drive-by shitposting in this thread is insane.

Everyone needs to post thier pointless shittake without engaging in any sort of discussion. The fact there is this much salt in this thread about the guy means he is doing something right.

All the while PS in Europe and around the world is getting stronger and stronger.

I mean under his leadership, even in the face of renewed competition, ps has done incredibly well in Europe. He has the chops to get Sony ps even stronger. He certainly gets sales, marketing and business. Despite what a forum poster might think, those 3 are critical to succeed for a business like ps.

Just goes to show how out of touch majority of era posters are.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

I think what people don't understand is that Sony since PS1 brought diversity on their portfolio of games for all around the world.

Microsoft always tried to succed with U.S. centric games most of them shooters.

In the end videogames is not about features and services but about games. Era try to refute that is really funny.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Terrible choice. Will never forget what he said about BC and older games. My most hated statement from any executive in this industry ever, pretty much.

Nov 12, 2017
"I've reduced his performance during a 20+ year corporate career to a couple of statements where he towed the company line and determined he represents the worst of them"
Yeah that's exactly how it works when u sit on a high role chair.....a word can change everything ...look at penello an the famous 30%
Ryan had some weird interview saying basically bs