• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
When a company is working in a creative industry, and they don't have people who is able to appreciate its legacy or how the innovations and achievements of the past contributed to the medium, this is a recipe for disaster.

Too much movements in Sony since 2017 are giving me really bad vibes, of they becoming the Microsoft of 2013.

From all the talented people managing the relationships with indie developers in the Vita and early PS4 years not working anymore in the company.

To Fumito Ueda abandoning Sony, or don't having the decency of using him as a consultant for the remake.

The legacy of Playstation are not only the recent triple A blockbusters selling million of copies.

It was a company about letting thousands of small and mid-sized developers explore their creativity.

And nowadays, a lot of important indie releases are skipping PS4, in favor of Switch and Xbox One.

Because the talented people curating this content, is no longer in the company.

They seem to be focusing only in the big blockbusters, like Microsoft at the start of this generation.

And this change of CEO is only a consequence of this new vision.

But to win the start of a new generation, they will also need diversity, creative takes, niche productions, talented people like Fumito Ueda, a dialogue with its past legacy through backwards compatibility and a vast portfolio of indie developers and mid-size studios to build a rich and varied library to complement the blockbusters.

And I'm really asking if Jim Ryan is the type of guy with a vision to realize this.

Or he only is one of these executives, looking at the spreadsheets, to the benefice, to the numbers.

Ok, you scared me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Euro-centric localization, day one distribution among other things...things that Nintendo and Microsoft are not doing?

If you truly believes that Europe loves Sony by default so much to the point that Sony can just place a dummy as its Europe head, then you probably need to stop playing games and start going to school.

What happened to all the working adults and college graduates in ERA? Why are so many kids in ERA today?

"This dude said something i don't like. This dude didn't give me the thing I want. This dude's an idiot and stupid."

What the hell with this type of '10 year old' thinking....

I don't think it is a question of age, rather maturity and broader thinking. Some people are just not mature, wise, rational or logical enough to look at the bigger picture beyond a very isolated thing, that in the grand scheme of things means little. Eg someone towing the company line and saying something negative about how bad older games look, is enough to eradicate 27 years worth of their input and work in a company that has seen it grow and go from strength to strength, especially in their areas or fields of expertise.

Nov 12, 2017
FT article about new SIE CEO:

"In an interview with Financial Times last month, Mr Ryan identified the rising level of active monthly users as an increasingly important metric for producers of hardware and software, as the gaming business model changes and companies such as Sony become more adept at monetising individual titles beyond the original purchase of the game. "It makes a big difference if [players] connect and engage," said Mr Ryan.
https://www.ft.com/content/2e760280-2e79-11e9-8744-e7016697f225
So more MAU's and GaAS?

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I am sure everything will be fine he has been with PlayStation since the beginning and knows it inside out. His comments regards BC were really not that ridiculous considering it was based on data captured from PS3 - most users did not use it. Pretty positive PS5 will be BC as Microsoft has forced Sonys hand.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's exactly how it works when u sit on a high role chair.....a word can change everything ...look at penello an the famous 30%
Ryan had some weird interview saying basically bs

What no? If the numbers back you, you can talk shit how much you want basically.

And well you know, SIEE is doing BIG numbers.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't kill BC.
Pleeaassee.

He's a veteran and knows the brand for sure but some of his past statements are concerning.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am sure everything will be fine he has been with PlayStation since the beginning and knows it inside out. His comments regards BC were really not that ridiculous considering it was based on data captured from PS3 - most users did not use it. Pretty positive PS5 will be BC as Microsoft has forced Sonys hand.
He didn't just say people don't use it (which isn't true as we have data from X1 showing it is a widely used feature), he also said "why would anyone play those games?" , outright insulting the legacy of PlayStation. It was a ridiculous and terrible statement.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We just had numerous Threads about Sony patenting some BC software.
But yeah, lets just pretend BC is doomed because he made one statement 2 years ago and surely didn't change his opinion.
There is no evidence I am aware that suggests those patents are for anything more than PS4 BC, which is expected at this point. There are no platforms specified, and no proof that there any plans to extend BC to older PlayStation platforms. And yes, the beliefs of those in charge of a company do effect the decisions a company makes for their products. His beliefs on BC and legacy content do not coincide with my own, therefore I do not consider him a good choice for this company's leadership, as I do not believe he will make decisions I will like regarding something that is very important to me, personally.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah.

He was blunt, and giving his candid impression when he saw these games (PS1 and PS2 vs PS4) side by side at an event. The usage data also told him one thing.

He could/should have been more empathetic toward the less tangible value BC has for some.

But in terms of reading market priorities, he was hardly proven wrong. It wasn't 'BS'.

There's also zero relevance in those comments to PS5 or PS5 BC. I think it's fairly obvious PS5 will have PS4 BC. Plans like that that are laid wouldn't be disrupted by a new CEO - but his comment about 'ancient games' didn't even encompass PS3 games anyway, let alone the relevance of PS4 games going forward. From Sony's IR comments, it's pretty clear the PS4 is an important leverage point for them going forward.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He didn't just say people don't use it (which isn't true as we have data from X1 showing it is a widely used feature), he also said "why would anyone play those games?" , outright insulting the legacy of PlayStation. It was a ridiculous and terrible statement.

Because of how bad the graphics looked next to the newer generation stuff at the event he was speaking of. I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, rather a facetious comment in the context of comparison. Obviously he understands many (albeit probably still a minority in the grand scheme) want BC, as do PlayStation in general, which is presumably why the PS2 and PS3 had BC in some form or at some point. The PS4 was the outlier, but you could argue a large part of that was due to architectural complications between the PS3 and PS4.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
There is no evidence I am aware that suggests those patents are for anything more than PS4 BC, which is expected at this point. There are no platforms specified, and no proof that there any plans to extend BC to older PlayStation platforms.
Yeah but you don't know that. Neither does anyone else but Sony higher ups. Its best to wait and see at this point. If no BC is announced at PS5 launch then by all means start sharpening the pitchforks.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
And the reason this thread is showing dislikes to that person is thr measure of how much you are wrong

You really think this threads or what people on Era say mean much .
If what people said here really matter that much Sony would have the worst selling consoles after cross play or shit some people said on gaf .
No this is just some people having no idea what they are talking about .
Era does not even make up 0.5% of Sony user base .

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
No, it isn't. Every PlayStation Console has a fantastic library of games that deserves preservation and accessibility to a new generation of gamers. I don't understand how any supposed fan of PlayStation could think any differently.
I agree with you I would love BC for all PS consoles but PS4 is important to keep the current gamers locked to the PS ecosystem.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
And this is the point where the things start to go bad. Yes they should care in % to understand why also in this thread people seem to highly dislike him. If history teach something at least

I don't get this.
Why should Sony care about the few 100 people on this Thread?

"Sony should better hire someone whos liked on ERA, i don't think being the CEO of the best selling Region is enough!!!"

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with the amount of shit posting in here? Don Mattrick doomed the Xbox One for this entire generation. Jim Ryan has made a couple dumb comments but otherwise has made PlayStation into the powerhouse that they are in Europe. Anyone making these comparisons doesn't know what they are talking about.
All in good fun.

That said, is he really the reason that Sony dominates in Europe like many are implying? AFAIK Sony has always dominated that region, it's a key part of their strategy and a core strength. Honest question, I have no idea

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I agree with you I would love BC for all PS consoles but PS4 is important to keep the current gamers locked to the PS ecosystem.
I agree that PS4 BC the most important. I also think that's why it's the only Console PS5 will have BC for. I wish Sony felt differently, but I fear they don't, and I think that appointing Jim Ryan as CEO only cements that. I'm sure he's good at what he does, and his appointment as CEO won't be utterly disastrous or anything, but for BC and legacy support (something that I value very much, and that Sony used to be the kings of), I do not think this is a good omen of things to come.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been saying this for a while... Sony is an utter shit show at the moment. Luckily they don't need to do much for a successful PS5. Seems like the narrative provided by the old management was false and they just jumped ship. Of course, jury is still out.

I miss Andrew House.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 is designed with BC it's not like he's gonna go

"Hey Mark, you can play older gen games on PS5?"
"Yeah."
"Remove that shit. who would want to play older games anyway?"

Also remember when Phil Harrison talked down rumble, and then we got rumble. These guys like to downplay what they don't have until they have it.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Because of how bad the graphics looked next to the newer generation stuff at the event he was speaking of. I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, rather a facetious comment in the context of comparison. Obviously he understands many (albeit probably still a minority in the grand scheme) want BC, as do PlayStation in general, which is presumably why the PS2 and PS3 had BC in some form or at some point. The PS4 was the outlier, but you could argue a large part of that was due to architectural complications between the PS3 and PS4.
I want to believe your right, but I really think he meant what he said, unfortunately.
Yeah but you don't know that. Neither does anyone else but Sony higher ups. Its best to wait and see at this point. If no BC is announced at PS5 launch then by all means start sharpening the pitchforks.
True, but I do not think this is a good sign at all. Also, just to be clear, I'm 100% sure that PS5 will be BC with PS4. That was never in question to me. I was referring to support for older PS platforms, which I do not believe will be present on PS5.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have never met this guy in person and he might be the nicest person in the world, but I'm not getting a good feeling from him at all. Something very strange about him and I think this will be a bad move for Sony

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017

His data would of been based on PS3, he was a bit clumsy in his wording but he wasn't incorrect. BC is great for Xbox but it hasn't dramatically helped MS sell more units. Most gamers want games designed and built around the current gen, BC is just a bonus.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There goes BC out the window.
Sony's ready for getting their ass kicked next generation it seems.
What the hell even is it with shitty takes like these?

Sony aren't going to have been working on their upcoming console for years and have clearly been working on BC only to just change everything right before announcing it because Jim Ryan gave a corporate reason once a few years back on why their product didn't have a feature their main competitor had.

Seriously, the amount of sheer ignorance and/or salt on display in this thread is some of the worst I have ever seen. No ability to look at the big picture, take things in context or use any real logic at all by many people here.

Just utterly ridiculous and embarrassing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that PS4 BC the most important. I also think that's why it's the only Console PS5 will have BC for. I wish Sony felt differently, but I fear they don't, and I think that appointing Jim Ryan as CEO only cements that. I'm sure he's good at what he does, and his appointment as CEO won't be utterly disastrous or anything, but for BC and legacy support (something that I value very much, and that Sony used to be the kings of), I do not think this is a good omen of things to come.

PS4 could technically have had PS1/PS2 support, digital at least, but it didn't. If that remains the approach it won't be because Jim Ryan is being Jim Ryan and he's doubling down on his own opinion. These decisions are made based on market analysis, and the current orientation was arrived at under Kaz or Andrew House. If the market analysis tells him differently, Ryan's tune would change.

(I mention PS1/PS2 only because I think PS3 remains a technical difficulty, even next gen).

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Been saying this for a while... Sony is an utter shit show at the moment. Luckily they don't need to do much for a successful PS5. Seems like the narrative provided by the old management was false and they just jumped ship. Of course, jury is still out.

I miss Andrew House.

I agree! Sony better appoint Druckmann as President of SIE soon if they want to right the ship.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Don't worry. This thread will be the era equivalent of the famous gaf next gen prediction thread. And yes nothing changed since then.
that thread was hilarious looking back. practically everywhere was "sony are doomed and will stop making consoles."
now it feels very similar to that same atmosphere around here.
hopefull like last time sony will come up with a great console.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the PS5 will offer full PS4 BC but I still have my doubts and think Sony and Nintendo will continue to release remasters instead. It's proven to be easy money and I think remakes like Resident Evil 2 are great at keeping older games fresh. There are a ton of games from the past that would sell well based on a facelift but BC is a great for the fans feature.

Blurrymars

Banned
May 22, 2018
If the Xbox division of changed the CEO so many times the video game news sites would say that the Xbox was dying.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping the PS5 will offer full PS4 BC but I still have my doubts and think Sony and Nintendo will continue to release remasters instead. It's proven to be easy money and I think remakes like Resident Evil 2 are great at keeping older games fresh. There are a ton of games from the past that would sell well based on a facelift but BC is a great for the fans feature.

I think remasters are of far less value to Sony than creating an easy bridge for the current 90m+ active PS4 gamers to cross. Tactical vs strategic - the strategic value in using the PS4 software (be it your network subs, your content), to make PS a continuing default choice as we transition to a new generation, far far outweighs the tactical dollar value of a few remasters here and there.

I think Sony has been subtly hinting at that when they talk about leveraging the strength of the PS4 network over the next 5 years. The number one way to do that is to make it an easy choice to remain within the ecosystem by making everything as seamless as possible.

If the Xbox division of changed the CEO so many times the video game news sites would say that the Xbox was dying.

Well, context is everything, isn't it. I think it's not lost on the press that its an important time for PS though.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
His data would of been based on PS3, he was a bit clumsy in his wording but he wasn't incorrect. BC is great for Xbox but it hasn't dramatically helped MS sell more units. Most gamers want games designed and built around the current gen, BC is just a bonus.
I think it would have made a difference if it was there at launch. Don't forget that it almost two years after launch for the feature to be implemented, and that it took years to build the library they have now (which is still only around 25% of the 360 library, and practically nothing from OG Xbox). It was too little, too late to make a meaningful difference.

I also think there's more to Console sales than any one feature. It's a combination of features and value that makes Consoles sell, and I think it is unfair to say that because a Console isn't selling well, that means a feature doesn't matter. I could say "Wii U sold poorly, so that must mean great exclusives don't matter" , but that isn't really a true statement is it? There were other factors at play, like bad hardware and terrible marketing. That doesn't it didn't have fantastic exclusives tho.

Similarly, I don't think X1 selling poorly despite BC doesn't mean the feature doesn't matter, only that it can't single-handedly change a Console's fortunes, and that it's absence won't prevent people from buying a new platform. I think that is true of any single aspect of a Console tho, is my point. A Console can have great hardware, but if it's too expensive, that doesn't matter. A Console can be cheap, but if it isn't powerful enough to run games well, that doesn't matter. A Console can have great exclusives, but if everything else about it is a trainwreck, that doesn't matter. A Console can have BC, but if everything else about it is unappealing compared to it's competition, that doesn't matter.

In other words, no single feature can sell a Console. So, a Console's sales should not be used to say a feature doesn't matter or wouldn't contribute to sales in a different situation. If everything else between X1 and PS4 had been equal, and X1 had offered extensive BC, I think it would have made a difference. I think BC is perhaps not as important as other features, but I do absolutely think it matters to a lot of people, and can make a difference in the right circumstances.
What the hell even is it with shitty takes like these?

Sony aren't going to have been working on their upcoming console for years and have clearly been working on BC only to just change everything right before announcing it because Jim Ryan gave a corporate reason once a few years back on why their product didn't have a feature their main competitor had.

Seriously, the amount of sheer ignorance and/or salt on display in this thread is some of the worst I have ever seen. No ability to look at the big picture, take things in context or use any real logic at all by many people here.

Just utterly ridiculous and embarrassing.
I don't think Jim Ryan being in charge of PlayStation means anything will change about PS5 at this point. But I do think his appointment as CEO means Sony as a whole doesn't contest his past views or beliefs on things like BC and Crossplay.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think remasters are of far less value to Sony than creating an easy bridge for the current 90m+ active PS4 gamers to cross. Tactical vs strategic - the strategic value in using the PS4 software (be it your network subs, your content), to make PS a continuing default choice as we transition to a new generation, far far outweighs the tactical dollar value of a few remasters here and there.

I think Sony has been subtly hinting at that when they talk about leveraging the strength of the PS4 network over the next 5 years. The number one way to do that is to make it an easy choice to remain within the ecosystem by making everything as seamless as possible.

Sony is smug enough to think they've already won next gen but i hope you're right. The counter to your argument though are unreleased games like The Last of Us 2 which could come out on the PS4 then a year later on the PS5, thus double dipping like Rockstar likes to do.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All Sony has to do is offer BC support for PS4 games and continue making remasters, and, most of all, remakes. There's still going to be a market for it regardless of BC.

That way they increase PS5 value, diminish whatever small outrage there is out there about lack of BC and will still bring in sales from remaking old games. Win win breh.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
PS4 could technically have had PS1/PS2 support, digital at least, but it didn't. If that remains the approach it won't be because Jim Ryan is being Jim Ryan and he's doubling down on his own opinion. These decisions are made based on market analysis, and the current orientation was arrived at under Kaz or Andrew House. If the market analysis tells him differently, Ryan's tune would change.

(I mention PS1/PS2 only because I think PS3 remains a technical difficulty, even next gen).
I agree it won't be because of Jim Ryan, but I also think it means the company as a whole does not contest or disagree with the things he has said in the past. That is what I find unsettling about his appointment as CEO.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is smug enough to think they've already won next gen but i hope you're right. The counter to your argument though are unreleased games like The Last of Us 2 which could come out on the PS4 then a year later on the PS5, thus double dipping like Rockstar likes to do.

Well, tbh, I think remasters could still happen regardless of BC. If the remaster offers enough enhancement over the original played on the new machine then there can still be a market for them. But even if BC does undermine the value of remasters to a certain extent, I still think that strategically PS4 BC is of much more important value today in the bigger picture. I'm not even sure the market for remasters is all that big...

I agree it won't be because of Jim Ryan, but I also think it means the company as a whole does not contest or disagree with the things he has said in the past. That is what I find unsettling about his appointment as CEO.

I think the data-tail is wagging the dog. If the data/business intelligence said otherwise, that would be challenged. Ryan shared a personal opinion about how the games looked, but Sony's approach to PS1/PS2 games on PS4 was informed by market analysis, not out of Ryan's opinion. His opinion about how games held up was an after-the-fact embellishment on his explanation of the approach to PS1/PS2 games, not the root of it.