• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Jim Ryan gave an interview for this Russian outlet, nothing new besides this, but worth sharing.
https://tass.com/economy/1225233
So how did you feel about Microsoft offering to buy Zenimax/Besthesda? Is there a possibility that PlayStation gamers will not be able to play the next Elder Scrolls game or Starfield?
That's a decision that is out of our hands, we'll wait and see what happens. I look forward to learning about that.

We just take a different approach. Our emphasis has been to focus on really steady, slow, but constant organic growth of our studios, selectively bolstered by acquisitions. We respect the steps taken by our competition, they seem logical and sensible. But we're equally happy and confident, we've got a better launch lineup than we've ever had at any of our console launches.

Another interesting bit from the interview:
How will you respond to Microsoft's Game Pass?
- There is actually news to come, but just not today. We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, Game Pass competitor news to come. Explicitly mentions PS Now in a way that suggests it's NOT that. Something else? 🤔

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Feel like we might get an expansion of the PS+ instant game collection. Would be really interesting if they put first party titles day 1 on there.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS Now in Brazil and many other countries would be a good start.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Seems the PS Plus collection was a test and could evolve into something down the line.
Exciting times

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Too bad Jim is running the show a PlayStation, because he's really anti consumer. The fact he felt it was appropriate to raise prices to £70 for first party titles is awful. Couple that with PS Plus and microtransactions, they certainly aren't short of cash. I have a feeling Sony's answer to game pass will be 10x more expensive.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Didn't Sony try to have a deal for Starfield as well? He must be really pissed if the game skips PS5 after attempting to have a timed exclusivity deal.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Makes sense why MS is on a buying spree with Sony is thinking of launch a gamepass competitor. Prices for getting games on your service about to skyrocket probably - since now their will be competing offers.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I hope they merge the services.
PS+ Collection is a very lite Game Pass, PSNow is streaming, yes, but there are a number of titles that you can download on your PS4 and play, just like GamePass, and now another thing that's not PSNow?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just rebrand PS Now. A lot of people are at a loss to what it is. I am sure even someone in this thread, on an enthusiast forum, is not aware all PS4/2 game are downloadable

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone thinking a PlayStation Game Pass is coming should take note of the recent comments of Jim Ryan about this kind of model.

Sony's big first party games are not coming into a sub for the foreseeable future, and especially not when they are so successful.

"For us, having a catalogue of games is not something that defines a platform," Ryan says. "Our pitch, as you've heard, is 'new games, great games.' We have had this conversation before -- we are not going to go down the road of putting new releases titles into a subscription model. These games cost many millions of dollars, well over $100 million, to develop. We just don't see that as sustainable.

"We want to make the games bigger and better, and hopefully at some stage more persistent. So putting those into a subscription model on day one, for us, just doesn't make any sense. For others in a different situation, it might well make sense, but for us it doesn't. We want to expand and grow our existing ecosystem, and putting new games into a subscription model just doesn't sit with that."

That's from two months ago.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PS+ Collection should turn into Gamepass-like with third party games and some of the PS4 exclusive titles.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
The main reason I didn't go with PS5 as console #1 this gen is GamePass. So if they wanna fight to bring me over I'll take it :P I'm glad they're taking notice at least. A PS Now and PS+ discounted bundle would be a good start honestly.

As for BGS it seems like more of the 'can't say anything concrete yet' talk.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Hmm... Interesting. Jim Ryan hasn't crashed his way through an interview and pissed people off.

(I know that's not fair...)

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Good, I think it'd be very naive of Sony not to respond with a game pass competitor of their own

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
That be great honestly. I love game pass and would love to see PS exclusives get their time to shine on subscription service like that.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Too bad Jim is running the show a PlayStation, because he's really anti consumer. The fact he felt it was appropriate to raise prices to £70 for first party titles is awful. Couple that with PS Plus and microtransactions, they certainly aren't short of cash. I have a feeling Sony's answer to game pass will be 10x more expensive.

lol give it a rest with this anti consumer bullshit

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The way thats worded makes me think whatever hes talking about is NOT a subscription service.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Maybe an evolution of the PS Now, making it more like the "sony's gamepass" and not only a streaming service?
PS Now already isn't a streaming service for PS4 and what will eventually be PS5 games. You just have the option to stream.

Gamepass and PS Now are very similar, they just have different marketing and content retention strategies.

As for Jim's comments, I suspect they may be growing instant game collection, it doesn't sound like he's talking about a net new service.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Is PS Now available in Russia? Seems like the "news to come" could be that its coming to that market, given where the interview originates.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Anyone thinking a PlayStation Game Pass is coming should take note of the recent comments of Jim Ryan about this kind of model.

Sony's big first party games are not coming into a sub for the foreseeable future, and especially not when they are so successful.

He is clearly talking about day and date there, I think they can have a good service without doing this, and GP/PSNOW are way more than just first party games, solid third party support takes a big part on it.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Translation: we want more money.

This really is a terrible argument by Jim. There are many AAA titles released on Gamepass including Gears and Forza Horizon. I'm certain these games have similar budgets to Sony's first party offerings.