• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

It behooves first party publishers to provide top quality productions that make their consoles worth buying. Nintendo and Sony have both produced amazing games to sell us on the PS4 and Switch.

Microsoft, however, is different. Microsoft has decided to act no better than a grasping third party "AAA" publisher. Even worse, it set the tone of a generation and contributed - perhaps more than any other company - to the nasty normalization of excessive monetization.

It's Microsoft's fault that videogames are bad.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's quite the take, but I can't actually refute his main point of the other two platform holders having a more consumer friendly approach to their first party offerings.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's quite the take, but I can't actually refute his main point of the other two platform holders having a more consumer friendly approach to their first party offerings.
What's "consumer friendly"?

You can play Xbox first party console exclusives on an Xbox or on a PC.

If you want you can get Game Pass for cheap as hell and play through those games on your Xbox or PC and unsubscribe from the service until the next first party exclusive hits.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many will actually watch the video, instead of just commenting about the title.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this'll change with the new attitude and studios but in the end we'll have to wait.

If they stay on point for the next gen and the one after that we can slowly start trusting them again.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Since Gears of War 5 just came out I find it topical to remind people that Microsoft mandated that the extra maps made for GoW1 be released as paid DLC as opposed to free content updates which Epic traditionally did like in their earlier Unreal Tournament games (and UT3 afterwards for that matter). That alongside the concurrent tactic of paywalling bog standard online play features for PC games released under the GFWL label made it blatantly transparent just how much Microsoft were trying to lower the bar for consumer expectations.

And this was all before the topics brought up in the video. I think it would have been poignant to highlight just how far the industry has shifted with Microsoft leading the charge since before the XB1/PS4 generation which really got the momentum going proper.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Glad Jim is putting visibility on MS' insane engagement tactics. They care most about services, live games, and online subscriptions...and have for some time now.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What year is it? 2015?

Since Phil assumed the games division, MS has been the most pro consumer of the Big 3

Jim's opinions are ... something

I don't think that I've agreed with his take on something since his Deadly Premonition review (and I'll always be thankful for that)

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Completely agree with all of his points. Msoft might be trying to be more consumer friendly now, but they absolutely played a major part in "normalizing" all of this microtransaction/loot box bullshit.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree with the main point he makes in the video and I actually blame Microsoft for more things that have gone wrong or have been normalize in this industry besides Micro transactions but I won't go into details about since I'm not interested in fluffing somebody's feathers because I said something mean about their preferred choice of a platform.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
" normalization of excessive monetization" what's the point for this ? I mean their brand games doesn't have micro transaction, Sea of thieves add them 2 (or 3 don't remember) year later of the launch of the game. I don't get the point. I think EA and Activision Blizzard do that, not MS.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot just how fucking terrible (some of) the launch titles were with the XBO, they were unadulterated trash.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is transitioning towards the third stage of Tuckman's development (Forming-Storming-Norming-Performing). When next gen Xbox comes out, we will see how well they've transitioned to performing on the exclusives output.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's "consumer friendly"?

You can play Xbox first party console exclusives on an Xbox or on a PC.

If you want you can get Game Pass for cheap as hell and play through those games on your Xbox or PC and unsubscribe from the service until the next first party exclusive hits.
"Consumer friendly" as in not bothering your audience with any microtransactions to begin with because as a platform holder you have other incentives when selling a videogame. Like, not designing parts of your game around this shit. Thanks for the marketing talking points tho.
Not even Jim is refuting that Microsoft has some good approaches to availability and accesibility. They are still the only platform holder shoving this shit in their games.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
User Warned: platform warring
And lets be real they have demonstrated time and time again a lack of desire to put out major (good) first party games. Never understood why people would willingly choose to limit their potential library by choosing a system with so little quality exclusive titles

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why he chose a clickbait title as if to goat those reactions out of people

That title is fucking nuts 😂. With the video game community being as hostile and fanboy driven as it is going "Hey guys, the least popular platform is the reason that video games are bad" is like the lowest hanging fruit. Not even hanging really, these oranges have fallen off and rolled into a nearby ditch much to the delight of a family of raccoons.

Nov 3, 2017
What year is it? 2015?

Since Phil assumed the games division, MS has been the most pro consumer of the Big 3

Jim's opinions are ... something

I don't think that I've agreed with his take on something since his Deadly Premonition review (and I'll always be thankful for that)

What points he makes do you not agree with?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing this. Microtransactions have been egregious in many Microsoft games, big games like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 being no exception (literal pay to win elements in both). It doesn't get enough exposure, so it's good to see someone like Jim applying pressure.

If they want microtransactions, let them at least have some of the bad PR that goes along with it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was not aware Microsoft developed their video games around microtransactions.
Every game with microtransactions in them is designed with them in mind. MS is no exception there. This notion that these companies just put these systems in their games for the luls and don't try to balance their games in a way to make visiting the shop enticing is hilarious.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't agree when he says: "Forza 5, Ryse and Panzer Dragon normalized microtransactions" lol

If he thinks Ubisoft, EA, WB, Take-Two looked at F5, Ryse success and they followed suit by adding MTX in their games that's a big lol

GTA V and FIFA normalized MTX.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Every game with microtransactions in them is designed with them in mind. MS is no exception there. This notion that these companies just put these systems in their games for the luls and don't try to balance their games in a way to make visiting the shop enticing is hilarious.

I was playing yesterday and some people I played with didn't even know how to get to the Gears 5 shop.

The Tour of Duty, which is free and the main way to progress, is much more visible.

I haven't spent a dime on microtransactions and I have enough of the premium currency to reroll objectives anytime I want. I would only need to buy iron if I wanted to get some store skins, which you have to go to the store to see.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Honestly, I think Jim isn't going far back enough. It's ea who saw how mts could be used in non f2p games and showed everyone else including Microsoft how lucrative it is. GTA making so much money also was another milestone to help. Microsoft is honestly following the trend at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone summarise his main points for me? I don't really watch his content any more, but even so I would not have time to watch this for several hours.

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how many will actually watch the video, instead of just commenting about the title.
Even without watching, it's not wrong to say MS has put a bigger emphasis on good services than on exclusive content. It's more of a pc oriented frame of mind.
That doesn't make them bad for the industry or excuse third parties for exploitative practices or poor games, but their approach is indeed different to the other two.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how hard they have fallen since last gen , but I think it was a great lesson and they are slowing turning it around .

Like most companies they got ahead of themselves , but at the same time they got unfairly mocked for being ahead of the curve.

5 years ago they were being mocked for "always online" , now people are cheering for streaming only boxes .

Since then they have worked hard to turn it around . They basically monetised online which I hate , but then they also brought in initiatives like gamepass and backwards comparable which are very pro consumer .

So abit if a mixed bag , it will be interesting to see how Sony handles next gen , will it be arrogant Sony or them learning from ms mistakes .