• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Lock if old.

Sterling's statements in summary: Patrice claims that some reviewers didn't completely and or properly play his game for a fair review. Sterling states that it's okay to be upset if people don't like your game, but making such bold accusations against the integrity of game journalists is unfounded, and a bit dangerous. Saying that anyone making such implications can "fuck off."

Last edited:

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I found it entertaining how Jim says making serious accusations against game reviewers while using hyperbole/exaggeration isn't good, before immediately launching into reading a rather mild paragraph with some self deprecation as being ravenously and wrongly upset about reviewers not "tongue punching Humankind Odyssey's fart box".

Oct 25, 2017
A review can be wrong, at times. Best to leave it at that.

Not everything in gaming needs a 'drama' video.

Professionalism can happen even when there's been a mistake, but this ties into the broader aspects of people trying to analyse 'cancel culture/there are grey areas/people have can have ambiguity'.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Lock if old.

Sterling's statements in summary: Patrice claims that some reviewers didn't completely and or properly play his game for a fair review. Sterling states that it's okay to be upset if people don't like your game, but making such bold accusations against the integrity of game journalists is unfounded, and a bit dangerous. Saying that anyone making such implications can "fuck off."

Sounds like a secondhand rehash of the GI Biz article.

May 18, 2018
Sterling continuing on his path to cementing his place of being the left's version of "sjws triggered over [thing] because of a tweet I saw"

Min

Oct 25, 2017
"two obscure websites making stuff up"

Jim just concern trolling as usual, it did happen and I can understand why it would be frustrating as a dev. Gamespot making things up and apologizing with weird ass excuses is a bad look too.

When did the reviewer say he didn't finish the game? He said he put 35 hours into it and talked about the late game. The only thing I heard was he 'beat' the game but questioned the notion of beating a survival game, e.g. how does one beat Minecraft?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
When did the reviewer say he didn't finish the game? He said he put 35 hours into it and talked about the late game. The only thing I heard was he 'beat' the game but questioned the notion of beating a survival game, e.g. how does one beat Minecraft?
There were, er, rather basic mechanics that were misrepresented in the review that couldn't have been had you actually completed the game.

E.g., from GameSpot's own post:

Update: This episode of GameSpot After Dark contains a few incorrect statements regarding Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, namely: players have the ability to ride horses and create fires, and that creatures other than apes evolve over time. Our reviewer came to these conclusions based on aspects of the game that suggest such possibilities, but after further clarification from Private Division, we now understand these elements are not a part of the game.

How do you make that mistake?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
There were, er, rather basic mechanics that were misrepresented in the review that couldn't have been had you actually completed the game.

Update: This episode of GameSpot After Dark contains a few incorrect statements regarding Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, namely: players have the ability to ride horses and create fires, and that creatures other than apes evolve over time. Our reviewer came to these conclusions based on aspects of the game that suggest such possibilities, but after further clarification from Private Division, we now understand these elements are not a part of the game.

huh. interesting my bad.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty poor video from Jim on this. There is already evidence that some reviewers actually didn't play much of it and misrepresented the game.

It's still not a very good game though.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Sounds like Sterling should have checked to see if the accusations were actually unfounded first.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Jim didn't do his research on this one

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this guy does is complain and latch on to any already-discussed-to-death pseudo controversy he encounters. I've never understood what he has to offer that a bunch of whiners in any random comment section can not.

And in this case he's not even being straight with the issue, which is that there most definitely were outlets that reviewed the game without due diligence.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I miss the old Podtoid show with Jim and Jonathan Holmes. Jim's stuff now is just negative for the sake of being negative, and that's really made me lose interest in the last few years.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
All this guy does is complain and latch on to any already-discussed-to-death pseudo controversy he encounters. I've never understood what he has to offer that a bunch of whiners in any random comment section can not.

I wonder the same thing sometimes.
He's just tackling subjects that have already been discussed to death, sometimes on this very forum.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim jumped the gun...
Jumping the gun???
giphy.gif

My sweet Jim wouldn't do that.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

And in this case he's not even being straight with the issue, which is that there most definitely were outlets that reviewed the game without due diligence.
Going to be honest. I honestly feel like him and many other youtubers do this, where they make videos off of gaming topics that have already been discussed to death for a week. I don't get it.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I can't believe a gaming media person is making excuses for gaming media types. They've always been varying degrees of incompetent, this is hardly different.

Patrice n them bois made a lousy looking game (could be fun to play for all I know, but I doubt it), but misrepresenting mechanics n how they work is fair grounds to be held against a reviewer.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Jim would be against Devs speaking up against poorly researched critical content. To often his videos are exactly that, he sees something that fits his point of view or he can use for his narrative and puts it in his video without looking too critical at it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

If Jim needs something to sink his teeth into, Riot being forced to pay $10 million to its disgruntled female employees would be a good topic to give attention to.

Nov 1, 2017

By not playing enough of the game or so little they thought they knew how it would go. Yeah it's a major fuck up.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
IGN invented boosting through enemies in Sonic Adventure, so it is not entirely unheard of... That being said, it is very unlikely the majority of reviewers do such a shoddy job and all end up with the same conclusion of a middling game.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
IGN invented boosting through enemies in Sonic Adventure, so it is not entirely unheard of... That being said, it is very unlikely the majority of reviewers do such a shoddy job and all end up with the same conclusion of a middling game.
The point isn't that the game is secretly good - it's not, it's trash - but that Desilets called out some actual poor reviewing, including by at least one major outlet, which that outlet has owned up to, but Jim is trying to hand wave because waaaaagh triple aaaaaaye

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The point isn't that the game is secretly good - it's not, it's trash - but that Desilets called out some actual poor reviewing, including by at least one major outlet, which that outlet has owned up to, but Jim is trying to hand wave because waaaaagh triple aaaaaaye
Yeah, it is completely fair to call out that review and Stirling should have been more careful in dismissing the point.

Nov 13, 2017
Going to be honest. I honestly feel like him and many other youtubers do this, where they make videos off of gaming topics that have already been discussed to death for a week. I don't get it.

It gets him clicks and generate some revenue for himself on a negative subject of the week.

Trying to discuss something positive or original doesn't do as well as well, subjects like this. He has admitted this before in one of his videos.

Unfortunately, controversy sells. Feel Good Inc doesn't (Well, the music itself by Gorillaz did).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sterling continuing on his path to cementing his place of being the left's version of "sjws triggered over [thing] because of a tweet I saw"

Harsh, but fair.

The weird thing is that he will absolutely stand up for developers when it's gamers who shit on them. It's like there's some kind of pecking order where he will always side with anyone of a specific group against anyone of another group no matter the circumstances.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Normally I'm a fan of his Jimquisition videos, but did he do any research at all on this one? Patrice isn't bullshitting, those reviews were clearly penned by journalists who did not play the game and just made up stuff - I know if that'd be happen to me, I'd be upset. In fact, there was a review when we released Ori and the Blind Forest where it was very, very clear that the reviewer must not have played more than 2-3 hours of the game, cause he made suggestions for stuff that actually does appear later in the game, but THAT I can still kinda understand. Not every game is for everyone, reviewing games takes a lot of time, etc. etc.. But a reviewer blatantly making stuff up... That should be a clear no-go.

I think on this one he ought to make a quick Mea Culpa video after he's researched this situation a bit more.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is rich coming from the guy that doesn't even do reviews anymore because he can't be bothered to play through games before shitting on them.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Ooh I just looked it up and this game is coming to PS4 this week, excited to play the unscutable monkey this weekend!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The weird thing is that he will absolutely stand up for developers when it's gamers who shit on them. It's like there's some kind of pecking order where he will always side with anyone of a specific group against anyone of another group no matter the circumstances.
Whatever the case, Jim does a piss-poor job of it.

I've been a game journalist for over a decade, and I've never thought of him as an "ally".

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to another video from Jim apologizing, Desilets is a fine guy, he doesn't deserve this crap.