• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Two version is cash grab and nothing else at this point in time.

The motive of two version was interacting with others to get the remaining pokemon, but that hasn't really been a thing since gen 4.

Nov 17, 2017
The most shocking thing to me about this thread is that people are really out there buying both versions of a Pokemon game for themselves. What???

i dont think ive ever felt particularly enticed to buy a third version of a pokemon game. its always felt as though they were meant for late adopters, as the differences were slim.
Yeah, literally the only time I've gotten a 3rd version when I had previously owned the original duo was Crystal. And I was a little kid who asked my parents for it.

I also bought White 2 but that game is a full on sequel as opposed to an updated version of the old game.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
They're entirely different SKUs. There isn't even a way that one DLC could work for both. They could theoretically provide you with a download code for the other if you buy one, but there's separate coding/work in making the content for each different game so why shouldn't they charge for it? It's not like households with two people playing WoW can use one expansion pack on both copies. It's a separate game -- if you opt to buy it, then you need to expect that you'll buy a separate expansion.

The core of Pokemon is two different people playing together and trading. If you opt to buy the different games for yourself, you're a.) in the vast minority and b.) can't expect Nintendo to cater their decisions towards you.

They could make the DLC work with both just by having one of the versions check the save data of the other version to see if the DLC is owned. If they wanted the DLC to work with both versions they could have done it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Isnt that possible that the reason why the expansion pass is sold separably is because of technical limitations? How many dlcs do we know that are the same for different games?

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest's DLC was compatible with both versions, rather than each DLC having a Conquest and a Birthright version, and that was a 3ds game.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
The most shocking thing to me about this thread is that people are really out there buying both versions of a Pokemon game for themselves. What???

Yeah, literally the only time I've gotten a 3rd version when I had previously owned the original duo was Crystal. And I was a little kid who asked my parents for it.

I also bought White 2 but that game is a full on sequel as opposed to an updated version of the old game.
nobody is actually doing this, just collectors and crazy people.
the dual pack should hardly exist though considering the switch alleviates the only issues of one save file per game thanks to having accounts. only useful if you want to gift to a friend or have two switches

Nov 17, 2017
It's actually astonishing to me that people take that at face value. This is the same series that routinely releases third and sometimes fourth versions of the same game at full price with minimal changes just a year after the OG release, preying on the same people who bought the first entry and yet don't want to miss out on extras.

Yet it's inconceivable that the dual releases to start each generation are primarily a monetization tactic.

No, the gacha whale comparison is not invalid just because they're different genres and scales—it's the same corporate mindset.
I don't know, does it have to be one or the other?

Trading Pokemon has been a major component of the games since day one. I don't like the way they do 3rd versions but I don't think having an initial dual versions is just a monetization tactic. How many people out there are really buying both version of the game? I've never had a problem just buying my preferred version and trading with my friends for whatever Pokemon in the other version I wanted.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
You still actually believe this, huh? It's literally nothing more than a money grab.
I won't deny that there are people that buy both versions, but Pokemon is primarily a kids series and I don't think parents see any reason to buy 2 of the same game with minimal differences for their children if their kids aren't spoiled little shits.
Of course there are super fans that do both and many Adults also play it still, but I think buying both Pokemon games of a generation is equal to buying 2 subscriptions to an MMO.
Of course you can do that and it gives an advantage, but you did it to yourself then and you have no friends, congratulations.
I think it's more a "tell your friends to buy the game too" kind of deal.
Of course it's about sales, but you read too m,uch into it.
People that buy both games are a small percentage.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Pokemon is more of a social phenomenon than a great game by itself. That's why it gets away with the trash 2 version gimmick when there is zero reason to outside of greed.

Nov 17, 2017
nobody is actually doing this, just collectors and crazy people.
the dual pack should hardly exist though considering the switch alleviates the only issues of one save file per game thanks to having accounts. only useful if you want to gift to a friend or have two switches
I figured as much. As for the dual packs, if you use them on the same Switch with different accounts, that means you can't trade or battle each other right? I always figured the dual packs were for, well, two people with two consoles.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The fact that the DLC is different for both versions is actually one of the most stupid things ever. If Fire Emblem Fates could make DLC work with 3 different games for only one purchase, Pokemon can as well.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they got rid of the two versions thing, more people would be disappointed than happy. It's part of the tradition now.

Oct 25, 2017
Scammy? Yes

Will it matter in the end? Nope because people will still buy both. I think somethings are beyond changing no matter how hard some people want to fight the good fight. I know change can happen, but somethings are too strong to change. This will continue to happen until people wake up so it is what it is.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Even I am finding the pokemon hate tiring and I have been on the "GF hate" train since I was 13. Same old arguments from both sides and no one seems to change their mind.

Anyway, second versions were always scummy, but an acceptable level of scummy imo; the problem with them is that they offered way too little to be actual different experiences but were different enough for kids who did not know better and/or die-hard fans to spend their money off. What has always been extremely shitty was the third version crap, from my experience they have always been complete scams, the way they are lauded on the Internet is shocking, if not depressing. This shit would not fly in any other franchise.

I do think the Expansion Pass/DLC is a good step forward, but I don't trust Gamefreak to deliver the expected amount of quality content for the price they are asking for. Like always.

May 26, 2019
Ok I'm confused. Are the expansion pack areas version exclusive or not? Because I thought sword and shield got access to both new areas.

Jan 10, 2018
Scammy? Yes

Will it matter in the end? Nope because people will still buy both. I think somethings are beyond changing no matter how hard some people want to fight the good fight. I know change can happen, but somethings are too strong to change. This will continue to happen until people wake up so it is what it is.

Outside of Resetera, I have never seen or heard of anyone having both versions. Treating it as core of their business model to have double dippers is a bit crazy.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Two version is cash grab and nothing else at this point in time.

The motive of two version was interacting with others to get the remaining pokemon, but that hasn't really been a thing since gen 4.
How is not been a thing, you literally need to trade in order to complete the pokedex

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm confused. Are the expansion pack areas version exclusive or not? Because I thought sword and shield got access to both new areas.
no there is no area exclusive. You just have to buy the expansion pass twice IF you bought both games because the expansion pass is locked to whatever version you bought it for.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

That is correct. The Expansion pass gets you access to both The Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra. It's just that there specific expansion pass is being sold individually for each version of the game and not being version agnostic.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
How is not been a thing, you literally need to trade in order to complete the pokedex
It's all online now, with minimal human interaction. Two versions does nothing now but making completing the pokedex slightly more tedious (it's even worse with SW/SH, removing the GTS)

Also, they wouldn't feel the need to sell double packs if they genuinely intended two versions for social interaction rather than a bunch of extra cash.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. I'm actually shocked at how many people were okay with or even defended its removal. It's something I really missed when I played Sword and Shield.
Yeah, I stopped playing Sword when I realized that completing the pokedex was just going to be too much work. The people that defended the removal were admittedly people that didn't know what it was or how to use it.

None of this version exclusive stuff would matter if GTS was still around.
It's not the most obvious substitute in-game, but you can catch nearly every Pokémon out there through Max Raids, even if they're not "native" to your version. Having both that and GTS is the best solution and what they should have done in the first place, but no one is necessarily SOL as a result and it also makes trade evos way easier to collect.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but it will continue to be given a pass for everything, just like it gets a pass for being the slowest-to-change series in the world and is still a generation behind in presentation.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I usually just watch version exclusive content/differences on Youtube. I'll never buy both games when it comes to Pokemon. I would prefer if we got single games with added on DLC, but it's whatever, they're never going to change their ways.

I do wish the GTS was available though. I want to get version exclusives without trying to find someone to trade with or deal with trying to bargain with them.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I realize there's different Pokemon in each dlc, but why can't it just be one version, then it'll detect whether it's applied to Sword or Shield and generate the wild Pokemon accordingly?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It's all online now, with minimal human interaction. Two versions does nothing now but making completing the pokedex slightly more tedious (it's even worse with SW/SH, removing the GTS)

Also, they wouldn't feel the need to sell double packs if they genuinely intended two versions for social interaction rather than a bunch of extra cash.
Just because it's now easier to trade doesn't mean that the is not human interaction, there are various trading communities and people can trade with friends locally

Also most people who buy the double pack do it and gift the other to someone, it's dumb to call it a cash grab just because people want to buy both even though there's no reason to do it

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like USUM's entire existence is pretty damning for the "it's only two versions for trading guys" crowd

Like c'mon, that's when it became blatantly obvious how GF felt about it, they saw B2W2's sales and realized they could make way more money selling two "GOTY" versions than just one (and it worked!).

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I stopped playing Sword when I realized that completing the pokedex was just going to be too much work. The people that defended the removal were admittedly people that didn't know what it was or how to use it.

I would venture to say it's easier to complete your Pokedex then ever before. Just from Surprise Trades I have gotten every other version exclusive I was missing, and plenty of great battle-ready breejects from randoms online going for their 6IV perfect Pokes. Not only that, there are Link Codes for every exclusive "trade" available, making that part easier as well. Not to mention that the Dex is only at 400, which isn't too terribly high. I've seen a lot of casual players on my Twitter feed and whatnot completing their Dex.