• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
They've been doing dual packs since gen 6.

So when we refer to the model always being trash, we refer to 2013? I figured the franchise wasn't that old. Jokes aside, it still on you. Yes, cashing in on crazies is not nice, but having the unquenchable need to have the Pokemon of both versions and never consider online trading... I can't imagine walking in those shoes. Also, we really need some actual numbers.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels though. They aren't just slightly updated versions of Black 1 and White 1. It's two different games with an entirely different story beats and different trainers and gyms.

The fact that some folks think they were just revised re-releases like Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon where is kind of telling how many people actually played them.

Oct 29, 2017
So they don't want people double dipping? Why don't they just have you start the game choosing Sword or Shield mode?

Because you could cheat by making multiple save files across each user.

The whole point is to encourage trading with other people. Trading and battling with other people is the entire bloody point of the series.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is one of the few things Jim Sterling can make a critical video about, and not have a thread full of Era posters complaining about Jim Sterling videos they didn't watch.

Anyway, as other posters are saying, he's right about the people complaining about the Expansion Pass but "somehow" giving the third version games a pass for so many years/the Pokemon business model as a whole until now. Even continuing to have two different versions isn't really "necessary" on hardware like the Switch as Gamefreak could just have the differences in Pokemon availability be determined by a selection the player makes when they first start the game up.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "it's about trading with your friends!" argument is the most brilliant part of the scam. People believe it, people parrot it, and people criticize those who don't "get" that perspective. They can keep releasing multiple versions of the game and re-releases with slight changes and diehards will form a phalanx around Game Freak any time somebody says "hey, this isn't right".
If it's not about trading, if it's truly just about scamming people out if as much money as possible or whatever, then not only is one calling Game Freak extremely greedy, but one is also implicitly calling them one if the most idiotic, incompetent developers of all time:

Because, let me explain. If that's indeed the case, if it's indeed the case that it's all about greed, then why include trading at all? Why waste very valuable development resources on trading in every single game since the very beginning? Especially not just trading, but, since Pokémon Diamond and Pearl on the Nintendo DS, have trading with people all over the world through the Internet?

And I don't ask that for no reason, of course. It's really pretty straightforward:

Let's say, hypothetically, everything is all just about greed, greed, greed. The whole idea is to get everyone to buy as many versions as possible, that that's the true start and end of it. Let's just go with that for a moment.

In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to, I don't know, NOT INCLUDE TRADING TO BEGIN WITH if that were, at all, true (especially not global online tradong with random)?

Considering that would kinda, y'know, UNDERMINE THEIR ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL in that case?

'Cause it's basically: "yeah, you COULD buy both versions, you could do that... Or you could just be s normal versiy and save yourself some money and give us less by just trading instead, which we let you do because honestly, we have no idea since it indeed being about encouraging players to be social and interact I'd off the table, and apparently the only thing that matters is money and this doesn't help us make money, so why is it here again?"

Wouldn't it make much more sense in that case to cut trading out entirely so as to actually force people to buy the other version if they want to see the other Pokémon?

Especially since that not only means more money coming in, but that also means one less thing to use very valuable development resources on, and both developers and publishers alike hate haviy those kinda resources wasted for no reason. So like two birds one stone by getting rid of trading: more money coming in by actually forcing people to buy more versions, and freeing up development resources on something they shouldn't have ever wasted then on to begy with (since again it's apparently not what they say it's sbout, encouraging people to be social, so can't suddenly fall back on that now). Win-win, right?

But yet! But yet! Trading endures all the same! Why could that be exactly?

Option A: Game Freak is indeed a horrible greedy developer, but they've included a feature that let's people directly indrrmo their entire business model and avoid buying second versions at no cost to them if they so desire, and, not only undermining the amount of $$$ they could really rake in if they were to truly force players to buy both versions if they want to see everything, while wasting valuable development resources on a completely unnecessary feature that doesn't actually do anything and is only costing them money in the process.

OR

And stick with me here, because I know this might sound crazy.

Are you ready for this?

Have you prepared yourself?

Option B:
It actually has been, and still is, just about encouraging kids to be social and interact with each other other and all that stuff after all.

Like, in all seriousness, Occam's razor people. Occam's razor.

But of course, this is a case where theres a minority of players (in this case, that minority being those who actually buy both versions just so they can get everything themselves without trading with another human being), who, despite being a minority (because, indeed, who would do that when you just have the option of, well, not, especially when you can't even fallback in some stupid imaginary rule if trafing-being-cheating or something, especially since even if you're trading just with yourself you're still trading all the same, it's, unavoidable, not just for exclusives but also trading-locked evolutions, the point being, you're trading regardless, so why's it matter if it's with yourself or someone else, but I digress), it's a minority of players who, despite being a minority, make a disproportionate amount of noise online to convince both everyone else and themselves that they're not a minority, but that's all it is in the end, noise.

But in any case, that's my spicy hot take on this whole two versions being a scam thing: fueled by a noisy minority who come dangerously close to realizing they're operating under a self-imposed challenge forabsoouabsolutely o reason at all and instead of either a.) Just making their peace with that because, indeed, theirs nothing actually wrong with playing the games that way and it's all cool and no big deal, nor should it be or b.) Realizing that yeah, this is all self-imposed and I'm not actually having fun with this/don't want to do it this way anymore, and so, just stopping doing that in that case they somehow end up at c.) Blane the developers for something they in no way make you do and call them scam-artists and the like for something you could easily be avoiding at any time by using an option they've built in to the games since the very beginning (and indeed, if you're going for everything or whatever, a tool you're going to be making use of in some form or another regardless), but nonetheless both stubbornly refusing while simultaneously blaming the developers, because reasons.

Goddamn is this topic exhausting....

Oct 29, 2017
With one copy of the game?

Entirely possible. If you own a digital copy, you can share the one digital copy across two Switch consoles.

Thus, if they did what people are suggesting here and had you choose your version on start-up, it would entirely defeat the purpose of having two versions; as you could easily cheat the system.

It would also mean that if you only knew someone who had the same version as you; it would mean that you wouldn't have to seek out someone who has the other version (and this is true of either a hypothetical physical or digital copy that does this). Again, entierly defeating the point of the series and in having trading in the first place. You are supposed to go out and look for people that have the Pokemon that you want, or can't get in your version, and then trade with them.

The series is all about social interaction. That is the bread and butter of the series, that's why the series has remained a handheld experience all this time; that's why they have in-person special events, that's why you can trade and battle locally. It's the whole bloody point of the series; and the multiple versions are there to encourage that social interaction, as you work together to fill your Pokedexes.

They sell dual packs, they factor in the double dippers as part of their business model.

Dual packs are meant for families that have multiple consoles. Me and my sister, for instance, have always gone out of our way to get opposite copies, so that we can trade version exclusives with each other; and this is super common for friends & families to do. Dual packs just make things easier; as there is always one version that becomes more popular than the other, so it saves arguments over who buys which version.

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I would venture to say it's easier to complete your Pokedex then ever before. Just from Surprise Trades I have gotten every other version exclusive I was missing, and plenty of great battle-ready breejects from randoms online going for their 6IV perfect Pokes. Not only that, there are Link Codes for every exclusive "trade" available, making that part easier as well. Not to mention that the Dex is only at 400, which isn't too terribly high. I've seen a lot of casual players on my Twitter feed and whatnot completing their Dex.
How did you get both legendaries?

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I would have thought you have to be atleast 20 to remember it, but it feels like everyone posting here is either under 20 and/or too cool to hangout with the nerds. Such a demographic being so well represented on Era is irritating.

Pretty sure they were implying people here are too old. Otherwise his point makes no sense to me.

Nov 17, 2017
I feel like USUM's entire existence is pretty damning for the "it's only two versions for trading guys" crowd

Like c'mon, that's when it became blatantly obvious how GF felt about it, they saw B2W2's sales and realized they could make way more money selling two "GOTY" versions than just one (and it worked!).
B2W2 were actual sequels though. USUM were dumb, I skipped those games because they were essentially a 3rd version but with two versions. That is an issue with the whole 3rd version thing they've done. The two versions and the 3rd version are separate things imo. The existence of USUM doesn't really mean that the concept of trading pokemon with players of other versions mean absolutely nothing anymore.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hm, is there a DLC on any system that applies to more than one game? Probably the music for Rockband games, right?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If it's not about trading, if it's truly just about scamming people out if as much money as possible or whatever, then not only is one calling Game Freak extremely greedy, but one is also implicitly calling them one if the most idiotic, incompetent developers of all time:

Because, let me explain. If that's indeed the case, if it's indeed the case that it's all about greed, then why include trading at all? Why waste very valuable development resources on trading in every single game since the very beginning? Especially not just trading, but, since Pokémon Diamond and Pearl on the Nintendo DS, have trading with people all over the world through the Internet?

And I don't ask that for no reason, of course. It's really pretty straightforward:

Let's say, hypothetically, everything is all just about greed, greed, greed. The whole idea is to get everyone to buy as many versions as possible, that that's the true start and end of it. Let's just go with that for a moment.

In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to, I don't know, NOT INCLUDE TRADING TO BEGIN WITH if that were, at all, true (especially not global online tradong with random)?

Considering that would kinda, y'know, UNDERMINE THEIR ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL in that case?

'Cause it's basically: "yeah, you COULD buy both versions, you could do that... Or you could just be s normal versiy and save yourself some money and give us less by just trading instead, which we let you do because honestly, we have no idea since it indeed being about encouraging players to be social and interact I'd off the table, and apparently the only thing that matters is money and this doesn't help us make money, so why is it here again?"

Wouldn't it make much more sense in that case to cut trading out entirely so as to actually force people to buy the other version if they want to see the other Pokémon?

Especially since that not only means more money coming in, but that also means one less thing to use very valuable development resources on, and both developers and publishers alike hate haviy those kinda resources wasted for no reason. So like two birds one stone by getting rid of trading: more money coming in by actually forcing people to buy more versions, and freeing up development resources on something they shouldn't have ever wasted then on to begy with (since again it's apparently not what they say it's sbout, encouraging people to be social, so can't suddenly fall back on that now). Win-win, right?

Option A: Game Freak is indeed a horrible greedy developer, but they've included a feature that let's people directly indrrmo their entire business model and avoid buying second versions at no cost to them if they so desire, and, not only undermining the amount of $$$ they could really rake in if they were to truly force players to buy both versions if they want to see everything, while wasting valuable development resources on a completely unnecessary feature that doesn't actually do anything and is only costing them money in the process.

OR

Are you ready for this?

Option B:
It actually has been, and still is, just about encouraging kids to be social and interact with each other other and all that stuff after all.

But of course, this is a case where theres a minority of players (in this case, that minority being those who actually buy both versions just so they can get everything themselves without trading with another human being), who, despite being a minority (because, indeed, who would do that when you just have the option of, well, not, especially when you can't even fallback in some stupid imaginary rule if trafing-being-cheating or something, especially since even if you're trading just with yourself you're still trading all the same, it's, unavoidable, not just for exclusives but also trading-locked evolutions, the point being, you're trading regardless, so why's it matter if it's with yourself or someone else, but I digress), it's a minority of players who, despite being a minority, make a disproportionate amount of noise online to convince both everyone else and themselves that they're not a minority, but that's all it is in the end, noise.

But in any case, that's my spicy hot take on this whole two versions being a scam thing: fueled by a noisy minority who come dangerously close to realizing they're operating under a self-imposed challenge forabsoouabsolutely o reason at all and instead of either a.) Just making their peace with that because, indeed, theirs nothing actually wrong with playing the games that way and it's all cool and no big deal, nor should it be or b.) Realizing that yeah, this is all self-imposed and I'm not actually having fun with this/don't want to do it this way anymore, and so, just stopping doing that in that case they somehow end up at c.) Blane the developers for something they in no way make you do and call them scam-artists and the like for something you could easily be avoiding at any time by using an option they've built in to the games since the very beginning (and indeed, if you're going for everything or whatever, a tool you're going to be making use of in some form or another regardless), but nonetheless both stubbornly refusing while simultaneously blaming the developers, because reasons.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It amazed me when I saw that the DLC had two versions as well, one for Sword and one for Shield. Instead of one version that works for both games.
If the main games are almost the same except for some exclusive Pokémon and they still sell two versions... why would DLC with the same exclusives premise not have different versions to match different editions? That seems like a weird unrealistic expectation for the release model.

Really they should just get rid of the two versions model.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Entirely possible. If you own a digital copy, you can share the one digital copy across two Switch consoles.

Thus, if they did what people are suggesting here and had you choose your version on start-up, it would entirely defeat the purpose of having two versions; as you could easily cheat the system.

It would also mean that if you only knew someone who had the same version as you; it would mean that you wouldn't have to seek out someone who has the other version (and this is true of either a hypothetical physical or digital copy that does this). Again, entierly defeating the point of the series and in having trading in the first place. You are supposed to go out and look for people that have the Pokemon that you want, or can't get in your version, and then trade with them.

Why do you think Gamefreak couldn't prevent these scenarios from a development standpoint if they allowed you to choose your "version/what Pokemon are available" at the start of the game (ex: Gamefreak doesn't allow Pokemon Games to use Cloud Saves because of cheating fears)?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

OR

Are you ready for this?

Option B:

giphy.gif

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
i'm just going to buy another pokemon game when nintendo makes a fully 3D one, Open World, with an action battle system instead of this slow ass turn-based rpg .

Its been 21 years since i bought my last pokemon game ( pokemons silver ) and i'm starting to realize that I'll never play another pokemon game in my life.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The fact that the DLC is different for both versions is actually one of the most stupid things ever. If Fire Emblem Fates could make DLC work with 3 different games for only one purchase, Pokemon can as well.
Yeah as I said, this is my only big gripe with this expansion, it makes no sense (other than greed) to not make the expansion a single purchase for both versions. Good to know there's precedent for a Nintendo game actually doing it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
B2W2 were actual sequels though. USUM were dumb, I skipped those games because they were essentially a 3rd version but with two versions. That is an issue with the whole 3rd version thing they've done. The two versions and the 3rd version are separate things imo. The existence of USUM doesn't really mean that the concept of trading pokemon with players of other versions mean absolutely nothing anymore.

I...know that. And they used to be separate things yes. They aren't anymore. Game Freak themselves made it clear what their priorities are, they sold two non-sequel versions with little differences between the two for maximum profit, when before they would at least make one "Best Of" version or actually put enough effort to be worthy of being called a sequel.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Trading for version exclusives being justification for having two versions of the same game that are 98 percent the same honestly hasn't been valid since online trading became a thing. And the removal of the GTS, and DLC with version exclusives differences only make it more absurd.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So when we refer to the model always being trash, we refer to 2013? I figured the franchise wasn't that old. Jokes aside, it still on you. Yes, cashing in on crazies is not nice, but having the unquenchable need to have the Pokemon of both versions and never consider online trading... I can't imagine walking in those shoes. Also, we really need some actual numbers.
right here. US numbers, but it still shows something.

The double pack is 4th in revenue for November 2019. Ahead of Pokémon Shield. Granted each double pack makes double the revenue, but that's also the point. Pokémon Double Pack is making more money than one of the "regular" versions.

Nov 17, 2017
I...know that. And they used to be separate things yes. They aren't anymore. Game Freak themselves made it clear what their priorities are, they sold two non-sequel versions with little differences between the two for maximum profit, when before they would at least make one "Best Of" version or actually put enough effort to be worthy of being called a sequel.
It sounded like you were equating B2W2 and USUM which is why I made that post. I'm not denying that USUM was shitty. It's why I skipped it. I'm just saying that even if that type of problem exists and even if you have a problem with how they're handling the expansions, I don't think the very idea of a dual version Pokemon game is manipulative or bad. It does encourage trading and socialization because that is literally at the core of the series. I'm basically just saying you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Jan 10, 2018
right here. US numbers, but it still shows something.

The double pack is 4th in revenue for November 2019. Ahead of Pokémon Shield. Granted each double pack makes double the revenue, but that's also the point. Pokémon Double Pack is making more money than one of the "regular" versions.

I remember those numbers well enough and should have been more clear. Actual numbers of double buyers. Like is seriously the online age the age people stopped trading?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
The two versions is important to trading and encouraging people to trade is a core mechanic of the series. As usual, Jim is just trying to create negativity for the sake of it.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
If trading is that important, why not at least half the roster is exclusive to each version? Why not make color/season/styles variants instead and have all the Pokemon available in each game? Why can't I have both legendaries in the same game? Because I sure as well wouldn't trade a legendary for other. And finally I'm not an idiot to pay for online and even more for Nintendo's online

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
DLC has version exclusive Pokemon just like the base games so not sure how that would even work.

Anyway Sterling is off base here. He's arguably correct about the traditional full-priced third versions, but Pokemon having two versions isn't a scam it was literally designed to encourage kids to be social. Hence why trading exists and why the series main games never appear on non-portable systems. GF isn't expecting single users to buy both versions to catch em all, you're not supposed to do that.

Why do they sell bundles then? Digital bundles specifically?

Why did they limit you to one save file?

I mean c'mon.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this shit about two versions being necessary.

Why can't they make you choose one of the versions when you first start the game and depending on the one you use, you get different pokemons. To start the other version you have to start a new save. You want both pokemon sets? You use trading. There, you get both without having to pay double the price.

Then again, people seem to defend this shit anyway so whatever. Can't blame Nintendo when people willingly pay double (yes this happens) and defend their decision.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

Why can't they make you choose one of the versions when you first start the game and depending on the one you use, you get different pokemons. To start the other version you have to start a new save. You want both pokemon sets? You use trading. There, you get both without having to pay double the price.

Then again, people seem to defend this shit anyway so whatever. Can't blame Nintendo when people willingly pay double (yes this happens) and defend their decision.
Well for starters now that technically you can have multiple saves simply by changing your switch profile so that way you could play both versions without erasing your save

Second think what they could gain by having it that way? While you can make the (kind of silly) argument that it's for greed (games are suppossed to gain money) at the end of the day you DON'T NEED TO BUY BOTH, at what point you can give responsibility for someone that buys both even though it's not necassary to get all the content of the game

javac

Oct 28, 2017
They don't release Pokemon as one cart which you can choose which version to play in the menu when you start because they want two skus on store shelves, so little Timmy that likes the red dragon gets the one with the red dragon on the box and little Sarah that likes the blue fish gets the blue version and then they both trade with one another , the games are the same with like one word here and there replaced in order to reflect the monster of the week that's on the box. You were never supposed to buy both, do you like the dog with the shield for a face or the one with the sword in its mouth is the long and short of it.

Jan 10, 2018

I chose to imagine that in 1996 Game Freak did not foresee there is a sizeable market which is dying to experience the minor differences between the two versions.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If you spend 120$ to play two versions of the same game, you should have no problem buying the freaking DLC two times.

Seriously. I fail to see why people complaining about this aren't also complaining about having to buy two versions of the same game. I fail to see the difference that makes that inoffensive but the seperate dlc some how is the offensive part.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well for starters now that technically you can have multiple saves simply by changing your switch profile so that way you could play both versions without erasing your save

Second think what they could gain by having it that way? While you can make the (kind of silly) argument that it's for greed (games are suppossed to gain money) at the end of the day you DON'T NEED TO BUY BOTH, at what point you can give responsibility for someone that buys both even though it's not necassary to get all the content of the game
Don't see the issue with multiple saves. I doubt people would start playing the game only to play the other version from the start to get the pokemons. Maybe on a replay but not when they first play the game so trading would still work just like it does now.

Gain? They don't need to make two versions of the same game just for trading purposes. I can't see any reason other than greed for two versions of games these days.
I chose to imagine that in 1996 Game Freak did not foresee there is a sizeable market which is dying to experience the minor differences between the two versions.
True.

These days though, we know that people want everything so I guess it doesn't matter of they keep the same strategy. After all people are defending it and some are even buying both.

Jan 10, 2018
They don't release Pokemon as one cart which you can choose which version to play in the menu when you start because they want two skus on store shelves, so little Timmy that likes the red dragon gets the one with the red dragon on the box and little Sarah that likes the blue fish gets the blue version and then they both trade with one another , the games are the same with like one word here and there replaced in order to reflect the monster of the week that's on the box. You were never supposed to buy both, do you like the dog with the shield for a face or the one with the sword in its mouth is the long and short of it.

I don't inherently disagree, but I would drop the supposed to. I simply can't imagine the Pokemon Company would mind you dropping 180 $ on Sword/Shield plus Expansion Pack. But of course, that shit would be on you. And the whole 2 models system was put in place to encourage trading, the major part of why Pokemon became so successful.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they sell bundles then? Digital bundles specifically?

Why did they limit you to one save file?

I mean c'mon.
Bundles--because these things called siblings and couples, et, who want to play the game together exist and having a bundle so they each get one version kinda just makes sense. And, yes, that goes for digital as well. Because consoles are expensive and yes, on many cases siblings have just one system theyre forced to share. Know I definitely never had my own personal N64/GameCube/whatever. Of course, the Switch itself being both a handheld and a console is part of what makes this do awkward, but still, that's almost certainly what's going on there: for those who treat it more like a home console, it makes perfect sense.

And for the save file, that's even easier:
It started as a lack of space on GameBoy carts. As remember, Kanto was only added to GS because Iwata pulled some magic and even then there were compromises. The games back then we're operating under some extremely tight storage limitations.

But of course that was then, and this is now.

But as for the now, that seems just as straightforward as we have examples of other such limitations as well:

Why do these games also not make use of the Switch's/NSO's cloud save functionality?

Why does Splatoon 2 not support cloud saves either?

Why is it almost certain that games like Animal Crossing won't support it either, why can that so easily be predicted?

Because rightly or wrongly Nintendo and a lot of their partners are obsessed with preventing cheating with a lot of their games with online functionality and they feel if that means no cloud saves, so be it.

Since that seems to be an idea that spans entire franchises at Nintendo, it's almost certainly the same thing here.

And of course before one points out that's futile, of course people are going to find ways of cheating and generating hacked Pokémon and whatever, yes, that's true. But to the best of my understanding, that's also true of games like Splatoon 2: that the lack of cloud saves hasn't stopped hackers and cheaters from messing around with various different things at different points in the game's life. And yet the limitations are there all the same, just as with Pokémon.

Not that it really matters anyway because on the Switch you can technically have as many save files as you want by making alternate profiles anyway. Bit annoying, but you can still do it.

The more relevant discussion at this point would be the lack of cloud saves, but like I said, that's almost certainly the same reason as with Splatoon 2 and the other games they restrict it on: an obsession with trying to mitigate very particular forms of cheating/hacking, when actual hackers don't really care too much, and it hurting legitimate users instead.

Still silly of course as far as that goes, but nothing to do with them trying to scam or coerce people into buying multiple versions (especially since in that case it would be really silly since you can have those by just making alternate profiles instead, which is a bit annoying yeah, but certainly less annoying than paying $60 for another copy of the game, so kiiiiiiind of an easy choice there all the same and a really bad business plan if that's really supposed to be what the intent is after all).

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Gain? They don't need to make two versions of the same game just for trading purposes. I can't see any reason other than greed for two versions of games these days.

What i meant with gain is that the reason for the two versions is for the trading and socializing aspect which lead to word of mounth with lead to more sales, if a vocal yet small minority is complaining because they get mad that some people for some reason are buying both why would you listen to them, the fault would not be at gamefreak because they gave ways in order to get everything with one version, the trading aspect of the series is well know and it's part of it's identity and when i say what would they gain is that the people complain for this thing are either people that don't plays the games or people that would complain about something else instead