• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hilariously dumb thing about Sterling's review is that the things he is complaining about are, if anything, the things that move Shadow back towards the older games that people liked and not the controversial reboot.

I don't get why that's hilarious. He liked the previous games for different reasons than you. The new game moves in a direction that he doesn't like, but that other people will.

Why is that hilarious or dumb?

Mar 17, 2018
for me it's the tone in which she performs the lines. the script ain't no masterpiece, granted, but i'd imagine it would fare a lot better read by one of the original voice actresses of Lara. it's Luddingtons particular form of overacted breathy whiny exasperation that annoys the shit out of me. she's worse than Chloe in life is strange and that's some achievement. lol

and i'm not sure she is redeemable now, not after 3 entire (personally unwarranted) origin games pushing in this direction, a character shift now would seem weird as hell after it's been maintained across 3 full games. maybe Rise could have opened with a more seasoned, charming and likable Lara? but it sadly didn't and that ship has long sailed. now we're three games deep and nothing has changed, she's still very much awful.

i honestly think it's reboot or bust for her.

I agree. It's reboot or bust. This is just not really working, and they clearly need better fucking writers.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
About to start playing this, and curious to see if my concerns (and apparently Jim's) about less combat having a negative overall impact hold up. I like the new Tomb Raider games, but Combat has been part and parcel of each of them (and escalating in Rise).

Hell, even having the pre-order bonuses include 'additional' weapons feels weird if it's been disincentivized this much.

(Also, the defense force/anti-Jim crowd is pretty embarrassing - especially with this video, of all things)

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Complaining about the difficulty of something while playing on the second lowest difficulty level isn't useful criticism. Knowing it's these 3 things you need to interact with and Lara giving hints on how to use those objects, does make the puzzling easier.

It's like when IGN wrote that Alien Isolation was too hard while playing on its highest difficulty, that game had checkpoint problems, but playing it on its most brutal setting sure didn't help.

If a game is too easy change the difficulty, if that's still too easy then theres a problem. Vice versa for hard games. Games have different that difficulties because each player has a different skill level, but it falls entirely on the player to change that slider
Yes but the difficulty is labeled normal. If they had played easy and complained sure, but this is the game's default. Should they mention that you can adjust things? Sure. But that doesn't mean they can't critique the game's default settings for being too hand-holdy.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but the difficulty is labeled normal. If they had played easy and complained sure, but this is the game's default. Should they mention that you can adjust things? Sure. But that doesn't mean they can't critique the game's default settings for being too hand-holdy.

But that's silly, because the game provides tools for you to change that. If those tools don't provide a sweet spot, that's perfectly valid criticism. But if you haven't bothered to tweak the difficulty to match your skill set, you can't make grand general statements like "this game is too easy", the only statment you can make is "this game is too easy on the normal difficulty"

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I feel like it's the best of the trilogy but can understand a bit of franchise fatigue. I disagree with most of the points - and some are downright incorrect or misleading - he made but that's ok.

On the topic of Sterling himself, I don't understand why it's out of bounds to acknowledge that the guy has built a career on shouting contrarian opinions in an inflammatory way when assessing the content he produces. His intent and his output are directly correlated.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
But that's silly, because the game provides tools for you to change that. If those tools don't provide a sweet spot, that's perfectly valid criticism. But if you haven't bothered to tweak the difficulty to match your skill set, you can't make grand general statements like "this game is too easy", the only statment you can make is "this game is too easy on the normal difficulty"
That is what I said in your quote. Mention the game can be more difficult but state the default is not challenging.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Complaining about the difficulty of something while playing on the second lowest difficulty level isn't useful criticism.

Of course it is. Most people new to the game/series are going to play it on the default, or "normal", difficulty first time. Knowing that it's arguably too easy on that difficulty is extremely useful to people who are looking for a challenge.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I wish more critics were this honest. I'm sure there are countless examples of reviewers deep down thinking that a game is merely fine or okay and they feel like they're just going through the paces in playing it and have to effectively force themselves to finish it but slap an 8/10 on it anyway because it's well made.

Games media should be more Jim.

What, so what you're saying is any reviewer giving this game an 8 or higher is just being dishonest? That's ridiculous.

Why is negativity = honesty, anyway? That's nonsense.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish more critics were this honest. I'm sure there are countless examples of reviewers deep down thinking that a game is merely fine or okay and they feel like they're just going through the paces in playing it and have to effectively force themselves to finish it but slap an 8/10 on it anyway because it's well made.

Games media should be more Jim.
Don't mistake giving a negative review as something honest. That's so edgelord it hurts.

and I'm not saying Jim is wrong even.

Oct 27, 2017

You're right, criticizing normal difficulty is completely reasonable. You're halfway through the game or more before you realize normal is a joke, and hen what are you supposed to do? Restart the entire game? You've already played half of it without enjoying it fully. The difficulty options aren't a cop out here and are more for repeat players unless they do a good job explaining the differences and are really well optimized.

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked this game up and watched this impressions video. I don't see anything controversial about what he said, when I play it I will see if I agree, I hope I don't and find more excitement in the game.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lots of people spewing salt because the man speaks the truth. Nothing he says is even particularly controversial.

I felt like I was getting franchise fatigue just after Rise, let alone this.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Jim has experience with the entire Dynasty Warriors series and yet people here tore him apart when he spoke negatively about 9. Even going so far as to play hard mode just to shut people up.

He cant win. I still think hes completely wrong to defend Sonic 4 but hes been right on other titles.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Im 5 hours into the game and so far its extremely meh. Where the fuck is the combat? 90% of it has been running about, talking and doing puzzles

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's undoubtedly much less combat than past games, but as a package I think it's the best in the series and one of the highest examples in the genre.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
shadow is a refinement of the previous two games in regards to gameplay. The Tombs are more frequent and more complex, the combat can be varied a little more with the addition of useable stealth attacks and weapon types. They make more sense than just firing assault rifles from cover. And it looks beautiful.
Maybe he was expecting it to change more.

But I feel it's the best one of the three so far, though I haven't finished it yet. It feels nicely balanced.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to say these are bad games

My experience with the 1st one was that it was refreshing(for me at the time) but the MP was probably one of the worst I've played. The 2nd one had me overall feeling meh to the point I didn't want to take a risk for this new one. This is one example for me where the metascore didn't really amount much for me in providing some "80+ experience", hope that makes sense.

For those who have played this, how is compared to the first 2?

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Don't mind the tone of the game. I hated how Uncharted became a comedy the more it went on. Everything was Drake saying oh crap.

Seems like they went for Indiana Jones model. Shadow is shaping up to be my favorite of the three.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I think his reviews are spot on most of the time, but their presentation is a bit spooky.

Anyways, seems like a fair review, even when I think Tomb Raider is good.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

My experience with the 1st one was that it was refreshing(for me at the time) but the MP was probably one of the worst I've played. The 2nd one had me overall feeling meh to the point I didn't want to take a risk for this new one. This is one example for me where the metascore didn't really amount much for me in providing some "80+ experience", hope that makes sense.

Its my favorite of the 3. There's considerably less combat, more puzzles and traversing. Challenge tombs are much more monumental and longer. The tone of the game is closer to 2013 than Rise, it's definitely pretty "dark", which is the main reason why I preferred 2013 over Rise.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
All the people hating on this game for not being an adrenaline fueld joyride are making me reconsider my stance of not playing it, that's part of why I loved Uncharted 4 which got hate for the same aspects.

Can anyone tell me if the story is as ridiculously bad and frustrating as the last two games? If it's actually improved in that regard, I might pick it up tomorrow.

Oct 28, 2017
They don't really have an argument to begin with.
Sterling may not like the game but seriously if he didn't like it, he didn't.
Since they can't attack on why Sterling didn't like, they attack the guy because it's really much easier.
Like for BotW, I could get why fans were pissed at him because at least there was a very positive consensus so seeing a discordant view on the game was jarring to them.
For Metal Gear Survive, Dynasty 9 or even this game? The games are nowhere near close to getting glowing reviews, why should they expect Sterling to automatically love the game?
It's also why scores are BS, in the end they mean less than nothing and people latch on them as a shorthand of how "good" a game is as if it was a fact.
I'm not even blaming people for doing that, I did this too back in the day.
Then you realize that even the best reviewed game can bore you to death to the point of feeling busy work and the worse reviewed ones can make you have fun more than anything ever put in a console before.
For Sterling, good examples of that were BotW and until recently Dynasty Warriors.
I prefer a Sterling with quirky tastes than bland adherence to zeitgest or whatever that used to be the norm for reviewers (like that shitty Paper Mario TTYD review).
You could get that? Really? I an not surprised at all. There was nothing to understand about their shitty ass behavior especially after he went in Depth about what he did not like about the game. They are in the same boat as any other fans that whine about mixed to bad reviews. Actually they are not in the same boat Zelda fans are much worse for hacking his site, accusing him of fanboyism after giving Horison ZD a better score and threatening his life.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
All the people hating on this game for not being an adrenaline fueld joyride are making me reconsider my stance of not playing it, that's part of why I loved Uncharted 4 which got hate for the same aspects.

Can anyone tell me if the story is as ridiculously bad and frustrating as the last two games? If it's actually improved in that regard, I might pick it up tomorrow.

The writing is definitely better than before. It's probably still not great (I am enjoying it but I didn't really have a problem with it previously either) but the improvements are clear to see.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Cannot watch it right now because I'm mobile. But in regards of the title I cannot possibly believe that.. that it's worse than Rise isn't possible. I usually like his videos, but more because they're entertaining, and not because I take them face value. Will watch it later.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017

I agree with you on the points above, especially the one regarding Rise. I thought it was too bland, boring & lifeless. I really had to force myself through the first few hours.

However, I'm really enjoying my time with Shadow so far. The setting itself differenciates it heavily from Rise's shortcomings imo.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the well reasoned response. My counterpoints are:

1. There are myriad channels on YT dedicated on highlighting the consumer friendly practices, features and updates by MS, Sony and Nintendo (like Outside Xbox, Playstation Access, NVC etc).
2. The whole polarizing theatrics Jim does is to establish an over the top character who is at his core is anti "corporate shill" with evidence. He is one of the biggest progressive personalities whose dramatic social commentaries do mock and expose aforementioned toxicity (and those who participate in it) entrenched in the medium.
3. Honestly, his titles are far far more mild in comparison to a multitude of other click bait videos that are actually trash and perpetuate conspiracies, right wing propaganda, Youtube drama etc. In the title you highlighted, he did put "bit" in it and given I am currently vexed by my X, I could certainly watch the video to see if the points are relevant or relatable to me.
4. With regards to this specific video, I agree with you about the combat and completely disagree with Jim about the overall quality of Rise (to me it fell well short of my expectations). However, it is important to remember that it was not a review, rather an "impression" and to that end, I think it was based off an incomplete playthrough (which he is not keen on completing). Suffice it to say, I got the impression of his fatigue with the franchise (ITT, I have already mentioned, that I am burnt out too after playing RoTTR and seeing Lara's progression as a character) given his expectations. Yes, I do agree that the video title's pun is meant as a click bait but just like the channel, DailyDoseofInternet, Jim generally follows through with actual substance (regardless of whether the audience agrees with it or not).

Off topic: I forgot to say that as a subscriber, it is good to see you back this year in full force and vigor and a ton of content. I feared you might take a long sabbatical your announcements last year. I do hope that like Digital Foundry, some day you can upload non-compressed analysis videos for your patrons/subscribers because 1080p compression on YT is still below par.

I just want to add that I have no problem with the video title or overall delivery of this video, It was merely a conversation regards he majority or at least the content and delivery Jim is known for, this is a mild video by those standards.

1) Although I agree that we have far too many "linked" channels that can be drinking from the cool aid, this does not preclude an independent channel from balancing its coverage between the good and the bad. I am conscious that I also need to possibly highlight bad practices or methods at times, so should Jim also have an occasional positive video with a similar level of effort and ferocity as that, for me, allows me to see the objective view of a channel, person or institution. Seeing the bad and negative is easy and largely counter productive.

2) His character(s) are not progressive in my opinion, his points and investigation can be very good but I feel this can sully the impact of it with his delivery as his ranting can be prolonged, excessive swearing (which gets you no-where in live or business) and repetitive. I recall a video about EA Lootboxes and it was too long, laboured the point to death and almost spent some time patting himself on the back. He was a part of it for sure, but not the only one. I would prefer if he had his rant and comedy (which is largely what draws the crowds I and he understands that well) but with a serious section and counter points to back it up, critiscm IS NOT critique as they both have a very different agenda and result.

3) I have no real issue with this title or most of them to be fair, if I gave that impression it was not my intention, as you say I have seen and read far, far worse and you have to entice the entry point and is something I need to learn more on for sure.

4) Yes, I thought it was a review, if not the videos intention it comes across and I assume by the confusion in this thread is what many think of it. My main issue with this video was it did not feel detailed or had much strong argument to back up his decision aside he did not like it (which is fine). But a review or impression I would hope would allow some level of empathy with the content and the designers aims to at least reflect the pros and cons of each. For example I am not a fan of huge open world titles, I have no desire or time to spend hours wandering around a landscape talking to NPC's on mindless tasks or opening towers as I think these are a time sink and pointless padding. I can and do cover all the bonus points of a title and would this offer and can appreciate and demonstrate (well I hope so) what they offer and how they work to the viewer for the complete picture even if I do not enjoy them. I hope I cover this in my upcoming Spiderman analysis which I have tried something new.

Thank you very much for the concise and detailed discussion and your excellent points really helped me see this from another angle. In regards to the video Hi-Q videos I would love to and it was one of the reasons I started the Patreon and my website but sadly it never got close to the level needed to simply run that as an option. I am very thankful for all the supporters I have as they have helped me with subsidy on a better camera, PC spec over time. My aim is to still strive for more to the audience hence why I have partnered with Rectifygaming.

Cheers

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
His reviews seems perfectly fair, he's hardly shitting on the game for the sake of it, he has actual points of contention that I can understand.

In regards to what he actually says he believes that the actual exploration aspects of the game isn't good enough to justify the removal of most of the combat.

I don't know yet if I'd agree with him as i havn't played it yet (and I loved the exploration in the last two) but I would be disaapointed if there's no real changes aside from just less combat. Like make what little combat there is much harder or add a different dynamic to them and make more engaging or something. Add more properly meaningful mechanics to the exploration, that sort of thing.

Also as "ludonarrative dissonance" as the combat was in the previous two games (somethig that applies to every story in existance honestly) it was still fun.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
When did people turn on Jim?

He's the best. He's one of the strongest watch dogs of the industry. This guy is pro consumer, pro game experience.

It never ceases to amaze me how badly people want to worship their corporate overlords and demand no one challenge them in any way.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim is great and has been forever. The hate mob that is starting to form on ERA is alarming.

But looking at the embarrassing overreactions to NSO on here, it's obvious that no gaming community is save from the baggage that comes with any " special interest" forum.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If you read the posts in here, the mod edit and then watched the video you'd think you were were in the wrong thread.

Jim's being pretty benign here. I've been pretty critical of some of his recent videos boiling down to saying 'shit' over and over but he didn't really do that here. The gameplay loop just didn't jive with him and he hasn't cared for the story. I think his word to describe his experience was 'fine' and people are going crazy? lmao

Unless he said something factually incorrect or was dishonest to shape his opinion, there's not much here to get upset about. If you're enjoying the game and these 7 minutes get you as upset or defensive as some of the posts in here, take a step back and reevaluate why you're getting upset instead of directing your ire at Jim. I'm sort of letdown. I wanted there to actually be something that warranted these responses.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
The way they show her face constantly in gameplay when she is gasping for breath and all that other stuff is annoying to me

It's just cheap thriller nonsense

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
He's not even saying it's bad or shit or any of his usual rigamarole. He's saying it's "meh". Average, middle-of-the-road, it's, in his own words, "fine". The only people who should be getting upset at his reaction would be those who think it's the greatest game ever made. But I'm not really hearing anyone saying that... this one doesn't seem to be getting the same GOTY clamor that other games this year have received.

I got the previous two games during sales or other sorts of bargains, and I haven't even finished them yet. I'm in no hurry to play this one, I'll pick it up on the cheap and I'll play it when I get around to it. And I'm sure it'll be fine.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i liked the last 2 tomb raiders, and more of the same sounds alright to me, but the underwater swimming is the only part that looks like a bad time. how much of it is actually in this game? Jim made it sound like its half the game or something

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Shadow is the best the series has ever been.

He played it and didn't like it, made his video and I am sure he will move on just like everyone else should. Him not liking it doesn't make this a bad game.

He didn't say its a bad game. He says its a ok game(you can actually heard that by the first minute of the video) and confirming its a fine game multiple times near the end. What he said its not a remarkable one and neither he felt interest in going back to the game.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says the game is fine....

I completely sympathize with him if he doesn't want to play a game that's just fine though. Sometimes more of the same isn't all that exciting.

I also don't understand some of the reactions in this thread. If his "shtick was to just be negative about everything, then wouldn't he have posted a similar video for Spider-Man?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Tomb Raider has not kept up with Uncharted. It used to be neck and neck at one point, with the 2013 original, but Uncharted writing and plot are soooooooo much better.

That's the real issue here. I bet if i gave SOTT to my 7 year old nephew, he would think it's the best game ever. But I'm not 7 and I need my writing and my plot.

Many gamers don't give a fuck. They just want good gameplay and derive pleasure from being good at the game. I am not those gamers.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think critics are way too harsh with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's a really well made AAA single player Action Adventure the likes we don't see that often anymore. The graphics are great, it plays more than fine, no bugs or other bullshit that hamper the gameplay.

And considering what kind of trash we have to deal with from EA and the likes critics should be glad that we even get games like this nowadays.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I like Jim and totally agree with his commentary regarding AAA publishers and the videogame industry at large but when it comes to his actual opinions on specific videogames, I tend not to agree with him. Jim has some....questionable taste in games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomeb Raider

First thing we notice is the titles. Edge-lord "cool" adjectives Rise and Shadow feel like a 12 year old named them. Good start.

Second thing we notice is the poor voice acting for Lara is still here.

Third is that the characters, writing, plot is actually declining per title despite the TR 2013 reboot already being near rock bottom.

The game might be a fun iteration of a UC clone, but the entire package it's wrapped in is just this bland, forgettable thing that really has no excuse being that way with the kind of budgets these games work with.

TR = fun game, terrible me everything else
Rise = more of the same game, even worse everything else
Shadow = some nice refinements to the game, but how can the rest continue to get worse?

Baffling series.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm going to play it in a next few months so my opinion may change. But from what I've heard, Shadow sounds like a sequel where new devs weren't interested in creating the best game in the series with its own unique spin, but the game which is equal to TR and Rise. A game that feels like prievious entries and can be compared to them as an extension of prieviously estabilished concepts, but never goes anywhere beyond.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna assume he finished the game or played a great deal of it? Either way I can't judge what he said yet because I am taking my sweet time with the game, not rushing it, taking it all in and doing literally everything there is to do. So far I'm having a blast, it's making all the right moves for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomeb Raider

First thing we notice is the titles. Edge-lord "cool" adjectives Rise and Shadow feel like a 12 year old named them. Good start.

Second thing we notice is the poor voice acting for Lara is still here.

Third is that the characters, writing, plot is actually declining per title despite the TR 2013 reboot already being near rock bottom.

The game might be a fun iteration of a UC clone, but the entire package it's wrapped in is just this bland, forgettable thing that really has no excuse being that way with the kind of budgets these games work with.

TR = fun game, terrible me everything else
Rise = more of the same game, even worse everything else
Shadow = some nice refinements to the game, but how can the rest continue to get worse?

Baffling series.
well, you tried.